Recently Completed Games Page 356

• Page

of 405 First / Last

• VideoGameAddict25 16 Sep 2013 17:09:29 270 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Castle of Illusion HD - PSN

Nice remake of the Mega Drive classic. Excellent graphics, great voice acting and good controls. The game is quite short though. It took me about 1.5 hours though you could do it in less time if you simply breeze through the levels without bothering about the collectables. However, you can't really expect a long game from a remake. The credits music did get very annoying after a few minutes as it loops about every minute or so. Another nice touch is being able to choose to listen to the classic music.

7/10

Edited by VideoGameAddict25 at 17:10:22 16-09-2013
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Sep 2013 11:50:43 7,790 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New Little Kings Story

Surprisingly long game at about 30 hours and I enjoyed finding secrets around the map and generally exploring. I thought the general idea of the game was brilliant and quite different. It has a similar feel to Pikmin but only in the same way CoD, Halo and Half Life are all shooters.

So in terms of concept and content it is a very high 8/10. However the execution was not always that great. The general interface was a little clunky and the camera controls do not allow the X and Y axis to be inverted separately. (I like Y inverted and X normal on a third person game). I am a little tempted to knock a mark off due to the annoyances but despite them I still really enjoyed the game and ended up doing all 9 endings for the Platinum.

So 8/10 then

Edit: Path finding of followers is also poor.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 03:01:56 19-09-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Sep 2013 16:14:33 10,268 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pikmin 3

+ Gorgeous
    + Brilliant Controls with Wiimote/Nunchuk and Gamepad for Map.
    + Utterly Charming with cool new Pikmin
    + Superbly Designed and extremely Addictive

- Waggle Analogue Stick to get up is annoying (Thankfully doesn't occur often)
    - Ground Textures lag behind the rest of the stunning visuals
    - Some unskippable, repetitive text at the end of each day

9.5/10

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 18 Sep 2013 16:21:22 58,784 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Uncharterd 3 - Its quite a weird game, all in all. Its far too long but the levels that pad it out arent really padding because a *lot* of work has gone into them.

The pirate level, for example, is incredibly long but so utterly unnecessary that you could cut it out of the story entirely and you would be hard pressed to notice.

And during the desert scene, I held up on the controller for ten minutes while I checked my emails.

It also falls foul of it being incredibly scripted and thus becomes predictable. If you enter a room without waist high walls, its a puzzle room. If it does have walls, heres another gun fight for you.

The story isnt great, drake ends up with the wrong woman (again) and the chase sequences are terrible. It is, however, incredibly polished, beautiful and contains some brilliant levels.

7/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Triggerhappytel 19 Sep 2013 01:34:38 2,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished Saints Row 3, and although it was silly fun in places, I found the whole thing quite workmanlike and hollow. The city was utterly characterless and I never felt like exploring; rather moving on to the next mission ASAP. Some of the missions were pretty fun, but there's way too much shooting and I found quite a few annoying difficulty spikes.

7/10
  • Telepathic.Geometry 19 Sep 2013 01:53:55 11,263 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I hear that you can no longer control the pikmin formation with the right stick. Is that true?

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• DrStrangelove 19 Sep 2013 02:11:04 3,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Binding of Isaac, again. I have beaten it a few times now, the stats say I have 828 mom kills, which is slightly above average, I suspect.

Each playthrough is different, and if I may say so without exaggeration, i think this is the best SNES game ever made. What was once considered by its makers as career suicide turned out to be a gem not only of indie gaming.

And it is, if you care, emotionally deep. There's a great analytical interpretation lauded by McMillen himself that unveils the deeper psychological background of the game. A background that won't get in your way if you don't care and just want to play a great game.

For its regular price of 5 (four quid?), it's a steal. Sometimes it's on Steam sale for 75% off, which is a capital crime, and I would have a bad conscience recommending to buy it for one quid. I only advise you: the game is fucking hard. Do NOT buy it with the Wrath of the Lamb expansion, because that makes it a lot harder and you can not choose to play the original game without the expansion. You will experience a lot of frustration with the original game, and you will be fucking pissed with the expansion.

The expansion is for experienced Isaac players and is utterly inadvisable for anyone new to this game. Once you love the original game, you have to get the expansion, but before that, DON'T.

That aside, again, it is fucking brilliant, and among the best gaming had to offer in recent years.
  • MatMan562 19 Sep 2013 02:35:34 2,310 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I hear that you can no longer control the pikmin formation with the right stick. Is that true?
    I've only ever used the wiimote and nunchuk controls for the Pikmin games but I assume you mean being able to make them walk in a line and tell them exactly where to go, etc? If you do, then no, you can't, but there are a couple things to make up for that such as a charge function that makes all the Pikmin in your party charge at an enemey or object that youre locked on to. The pikmin themselves are also much better at, for example, making sure thye actually walk onto a bridge and not beside it meaning they end up in the water.

Whilst on the subject I may as well give Pikmin 3 a score as well so... 10/10 for me! I loved it!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Telepathic.Geometry 19 Sep 2013 03:21:56 11,263 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, that's a shame. I prefer being able to control where the little fellas go directly. Still, as always, I await the day when I need to buy a Wii U. So far, Zombie U, Wonderful 101, Nintendoland, Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros., Pikmin 3, 3D land, and (Windwaker HD and Rayman Legends). That's about 8 reasons by my reckoning.

When that gets to over a dozen, I'll probably cave.

• Rodney 19 Sep 2013 05:26:35 1,847 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quack Shot (psp / mega drive emulator).

Reading about Castle of Illusion reminded of this game and how much I loved it as a kid. I think it has aged far better than Castle of Illusion, it still looks good and adds some nice adventure/puzzles to the platformer mix. Its amazing how well I remembered some sections.

In fact, I think some of my strongest most vivid childhood memories are from games (level layouts, controls, music). I'm not sure what this says about me.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Sep 2013 07:55:50 10,268 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry

I played with wiimote and nunchuk,
    You press c to cycle through the different types of Pikmin to throw and you split them into groups with a shake of the nunchuk.
    I don't remember how the formation worked in Pikmin 2 tbh.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Raiko101 19 Sep 2013 16:48:47 6,062 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lego City Undercover

I think i'm finally done with this game. The story was very much enjoyable, as were the missions. For that alone i'd recommend it to anybody with a Wii U. However, I think the side missions could have been better. The city is quite big and so having to snoop around to find things to paint, coffees to drink, or cats to rescue is a very slow and repetitive process.

I'd say it gets old fast, but it doesn't. It's just there's so much of it to do. I've spent 15 hours on the side missions alone and i'm only half way there. It does help having the scanner to locate things within a certain distance, but i'd rather they just show up on the map, to be honest. It would speed things up quite considerably.

That is my only complaint with this game though. Besides that, it's been great fun. If you've got young ones and you want a game you can play with them, i'd strongly recommend this one. Even if they just want to mess around in the city, there's a lot to keep them entertained. The story has a saturday morning cartoon vibe about it, at times, and makes plenty of references to 70's, 80's and 90's pop culture. It also stars Adam Buxton!

4/5

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Rhaegyr 19 Sep 2013 16:57:15 1,409 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Brilliant analysis - bought the game on a whim a year ago and didn't play it until roughly a few months ago. I'm now approaching 30 hours of play time and have only beaten Mom's Heart around 8/9 times.

Every time I play the game I see a new item, enemy or boss; all of which are excellently designed, both mechanically and thematically.

Would you recommend getting Wrath of the Lamb for someone in my position in the game? I've just about started remembering what each item does and how most enemies/bosses behave!

I got it for 99p too - that's 30 hours from a quid.

It's just the tops!
  • Kay 19 Sep 2013 17:32:39 17,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Binding of Isaac sounds great, and from what I've read was heavily influenced by the original Spelunky, which is fantastic on the Vita. So looking forward to the Vita port of BoI, even though I'm pretty sure I've already got it from one of the indie bundles somewhere.
  • khaz 20 Sep 2013 05:28:21 2,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ahh, that's a shame. I prefer being able to control where the little fellas go directly. Still, as always, I await the day when I need to buy a Wii U. So far, Zombie U, Wonderful 101, Nintendoland, Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros., Pikmin 3, 3D land, and (Windwaker HD and Rayman Legends). That's about 8 reasons by my reckoning.

When that gets to over a dozen, I'll probably cave.
    Starting to cave because of Wind Waker HD.

/holds TG

I don't think i'll be able to hold on anymore once Bayonetta 2 is out. :(

Edited by khaz at 05:29:08 20-09-2013
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 Sep 2013 07:05:41 11,263 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't hold me man, I'm hard as a plank... for Pikmin 3. /penetrates khaz

• Mola_Ram 20 Sep 2013 07:12:42 6,960 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago

Carry on
  • jellyBelly 20 Sep 2013 10:49:45 354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hotline Miami (Vita)

Initially the game didn't agree with me at all. The controls failed me one too many times with the targeting and it was all a bit too hipster-ish. However I ploughed on and got mighty hooked. I started getting better at tactics and reaction times and appreciating the lovely blood splatering animations and brooding soundtrack. Still think the controls are suboptimal but the game is otherwise very well executed with a tight gameplay core.

8/10

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Gunzberg 20 Sep 2013 15:29:01 1,730 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Demon's Souls off PSN 8/10

+ Atmosphere
    + Combat
    + Freedom to develop your character
    + Nothing is actually impossible
    + Nexus structure preferred to endless trudging of Dark Souls
    + NPC interaction and availability a little bit easier to understand than the mess of Dark Souls
    + Caster build works better here than in Dark Souls imo
    + Cheap at 8 or less (even free) on PSN+

- No checkpoints like the bonfires
    - A couple of poor levels like 3-2 or 5-2 (FROM Software should really drop all the crap total darkness levels like Tomb of the Giants)
    - Story still fluff
    - Realising that Dark Souls repeats so many level ideas from Demon's Souls (medieval, swamp etc)
    - Summoning often fails and not as well integrated as in Dark Souls

In summary a worthy purchase and it got me excited for Dark Souls II

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Telepathic.Geometry 21 Sep 2013 09:30:29 11,263 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote: Story still fluff
    How very dare you!

• Gunzberg 21 Sep 2013 10:10:12 1,730 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote: Story still fluff
    How very dare you!
    Fluff fluff fluff!

It is better than the story in Bayonetta though...

• BloodMountain88 21 Sep 2013 21:00:23 139 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Saints Row IV.

Better than Saints Row The Third. Thought the story missions were much better, the superpowers were well implemented and easy to use, most of the side activities were enjoyable, and unlike SR3, I had a lot of fun playing through it. I also really enjoyed the amount of options for character customisation as well.

It's very prone to crashing though - my PS3 froze about 6-7 times during an 18 hour playthrough (including during the final mission). And a couple of the side activities are weak - Professor Genki's Mind Over Murder being the worst of the bunch. It's also not very challenging either, even on the hard difficulty.

I got 85% completion after 18 hours, but once I finished the story, I had played as much of the game as I wanted to. I don't see myself going back to it. Was worth the 25 I spent on it though.

7/10

Edited by BloodMountain88 at 21:06:51 21-09-2013
  • DrStrangelove 21 Sep 2013 21:33:10 3,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Would you recommend getting Wrath of the Lamb for someone in my position in the game?
    Difficult to generalise--I'd say get it when you feel it's getting a bit easy, and your playing too routined. Still, be warned, it about doubles the difficulty.

Trying to specify: there's those jumping headless little guys, and the blood-spilled version being able to jump off the screen and land on your position while shooting in four directions. Those are usually considered the most annoying enemies of all. In WotL, you'll have enemies that are much harder than those, and there are super versions of bosses and mini-bosses that are again much harder to beat.
  • ray 22 Sep 2013 10:28:46 684 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Replayed Ghost Trick. Some parts are a bit off (the tutorial level and the ending come to mind) but I enjoyed it as much as the first time I played it. The art direction is of course great (both audio and video), maybe the character portraits don't match with the rest but it didn't bother me that much.

I'll probably replay it again in a year or so once I forget the puzzles.
  • Gunzberg 23 Sep 2013 15:55:25 1,730 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Puppeteer 10/10 and then some

It.

Is.

FANTASTIC.

Also brilliant, enchanting, humourous, awesome etc etc. Gameplay, script, the puns, the innuendo, the satire, the level design, the fabulous, fabulous soundtrack, the level of difficulty set just right, the charm and atmosphere, I could go on and on. One of the best games I have played in the past 2-3 years. Buy it, BUY IT! And if you don't have a PS3 then get one for Puppeteer and some other nice titles.

Just magical. I only wish I had preordered to get the soundtrack for free

• King_Edward 23 Sep 2013 16:29:19 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is the soundtrack what the code in the box is for? You can have mine if you want. I agree that it's a lovely game. I needed it's charm to offset Outlast's torture.
  • BeardedGamerUK 23 Sep 2013 16:37:02 1,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Ratchet & Clank Q Force 7.5 out of 10. Would have scored it higher but it takes less than 3 hours to play! Was good fun and haven't played a tower defence game like it, although I am aware of a few others.
  • Gunzberg 23 Sep 2013 16:42:47 1,730 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Is the soundtrack what the code in the box is for? You can have mine if you want. I agree that it's a lovely game. I needed it's charm to offset Outlast's torture.
    I don't know tbh, I bought it off PSN so don't know what's in the box.

Found the soundtrack on youtube though :)

• Rhaegyr 23 Sep 2013 16:43:58 1,409 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thomas Was Alone

The story and method of storytelling were absolutely fantastic - I wouldn't mind ten's of games getting their stories across like this. I'm already more attached to Thomas and his friends than the other characters I've been playing as for years.

Pretty decent puzzler and an ace soundtrack, too.
  • BeardedGamerUK 23 Sep 2013 17:01:37 1,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Have actually got that game on Steam, should play it sometime soon :)
  • Page

of 405 First / Last