Overwatch from Blizzard Page 241

• Page

of 247 First / Last

• docrob 11 Aug 2017 22:15:40 784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WTF is it with people and this game? Just got steamrollered 3-0 in a Competitive game because I got lumbered with a team of complete idiots. I was playing Mercy. They went with no mobile DPS on defence, and we barely slowed the other team down. Then we played attack, with no tank and (of course) both Hanzo and Widowmaker. We barely got off the spawn.

Decided to try one more. Better team, secured the first point on Ilios pretty quickly. Then the wheels fell off and I (and everyone else) was killed repeatedly by a supremely annoying Tracer (the perfect hero for a real troll if you're good enough). Another loss and all the progress I made recently has gone. I am never getting back out of bronze.
  • wildbillch 12 Aug 2017 09:45:24 54 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tried Deathmatch mode last night and it was actually super fun and very moreish. I came last pretty consistently but still enjoyed it and found it a really good way of getting better at heroes. Hopefully it will improve the normal modes too as people who just want to run around killing mans can now do so (I think this is why Blizzard made the new mode tbh)

Btw in case anyone isn't aware you can get 5 free loot boxes at the moment if you're an Amazon prime member https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/overwatch
  • Dombat 12 Aug 2017 14:26:21 1,134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I haven't got involved in the elimination game modes at all, but deathmatch actually appeals to me. I'll probably play it a bit to improve at my favourite DPS heroes as I usually don't get round to playing them much.

Downloading the PTR update now.
  • Pazie 12 Aug 2017 20:49:45 1,135 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played this for the first time today in ages and got the Player Of The Match. Plus, I was the only one that people could vote for at the end of the match so I got the Epic vote. Must had been playing with rubbish players, because I know I'm not that good, especially for not playing it in a while.

Edited by Pazie at 20:50:20 12-08-2017
  • JiveHound 13 Aug 2017 10:31:10 8,742 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    https://youtu.be/-i40c8Z3cfI

As I feared.

Just put Hog back where he was, there was nothing wrong with him, DPS/Tank was what he was designed as and as the youtuber says, his kit makes no sense now.
  • Reacher 14 Aug 2017 18:11:32 2,551 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had a wonderfully typical game of this earlier.

Me (Lucio) in a team with 5 DPS on Oasis. I finished with golds in healing, objective time and eliminations. 2 DPS players left after the first round (a loss), one changed from Widowmaker to Hanzo in the second round, then back to Widowmaker. One changed to Mercy and went afk for the whole last two rounds and Soldier76 spent his time trying to leap off a corner of the Oasis map and failing.
  • JiveHound 14 Aug 2017 18:29:09 8,742 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Almost every game I have to resort to filling while the instalocking dps fail to 'shootallthethings'.

Outside of games like Destiny whereby synergy is enforced through the lust for loot I don't know if games like Overwatch going forward will really be anything other than heartache for the mainstream.

They are destined to be deeply frustrating experiences sadly.

Edited by JiveHound at 18:30:10 14-08-2017
  • Tuffty 14 Aug 2017 19:50:04 3,989 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well the solution to all of our frustrations is pretty obvious in that you play games with a party of players who are all like minded like you, they care about team composition, they focus on the objective etc. But then naturally, not everyone can do that. It's pretty much down to luck of the draw when solo queuing, you just hope that either your team doesn't have bad players who throw games at the first sign of struggle or the enemy team does.
  • Supra_Hans 15 Aug 2017 08:45:08 91 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tuffty Yeah, good point.

I had an atrocious ranked game last night. My whole team stood in the open area outside the first point on Horizon Lunar getting whittled down by a Torb turret sat behind a Reinhardt shield. I was solo healer Zen and couldn't do much of anything. Played another ranked Route 66 game with no tank (I was solo healer Mercy), we barely made it around the first corner. When the last player to pick chose Doomfist I almost quit at that point.

I regret picking the game up on ps4 - a couple of friends bought it at launch, so I joined - although they've both moved on to other games now. My frustration is that if I do move to PC, I lose all my unlocks - I wouldn't even care about the rank, but as soon as Blizzard attached a monetary value to loot boxes it made switching platforms difficult.
  • JiveHound 15 Aug 2017 13:07:04 8,742 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    https://youtu.be/WOCv9rbISsY

I seem to remember saying similar when Doomfist was unveiled. This vid pretty much sums up where Overwatch is at the moment and why so many people are now dropping it like a bad habit.

Too many DPS characters, not just that but high skill characters being cool cyber ninjas was always going to end badly in most tiers. Tanks and Supports just aren't as mechanically satisfying as the DPS characters. Mercy is funky and all but only as a palate cleanser, no one wants to be forced to main her. It's just spinning plates.

As for solo queuing, I don't do that. The problems still manifest when you're a three stack and the restbof the team pick DPS. Always filling.

Edited by JiveHound at 13:10:10 15-08-2017
  • Dombat 15 Aug 2017 15:25:11 1,134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One of my main issues with the game right now is Mercy. I'm sick of playing as her, sick of playing against her.

I want Ana to be more viable again - she could especially use some buffs on console at least. I also think the next hero NEEDS to be a healer. There just aren't enough viable options as a main healer at the moment.
  • Dombat 15 Aug 2017 15:36:41 1,134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Supra_Hans wrote:
    @Tuffty Yeah, good point.

I regret picking the game up on ps4 - a couple of friends bought it at launch, so I joined - although they've both moved on to other games now. My frustration is that if I do move to PC, I lose all my unlocks - I wouldn't even care about the rank, but as soon as Blizzard attached a monetary value to loot boxes it made switching platforms difficult.
    IMO just make the change. It was easier for me as I picked up the PC version just before Christmas (having played Xbox at launch) after a free weekend made me realise it ran on my PC much better than expected. I've obviously had months of acquiring loot boxes on PC so dropping the Xbox version now will be easier.

It's just a vastly superior version of the game. Heroes with precise aiming are much more viable and fun, communication and UI stuff is easier, and the game is just played at a higher standard. I'm sure there are fewer kids too.

I feel like I should have dropped the Xbox version months ago tbh but I've got a mate on there I wanted to team up with. I'm done with it now though.
  • Tuffty 18 Aug 2017 16:46:42 3,989 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Checked my stats for Quickplay and I was stunned to see I've put in more time as Lucio, Mercy and Zenyatta then the likes of Soldier and D.Va (Zarya is my most played character). But I realise that it's down to me having to switch to a healer just to give my team any chance of winning. I just want to sit some players down and shake them, not too roughly but just enough to grab their attention, and ask how they think a 5 offensive character team with no healers could possibly work. I've had so many instances of it this afternoon, nobody wants to be the tank, nobody wants to be the healer. Even when playing a match as Ana, the solo healer, just for a laugh our team scraped out a win. 7000+ healing points accounting for 50% of team damage, but the rest of the team gave the upvotes to the Genji who got 15 kills.

I dunno, I really hope this Deathmatch mode gets these players off the normal game modes, because it's just killing me here. I want to learn how to play Doomfist but when it's 5 offense characters against a team that is well set up with maybe 2 tanks and 2 healers then I don't learn anything from it, it just becomes a whitewash. I want to join quickplay matches and go on with the intent of winning but people don't seem to want to do that because you can't possibly play Overwatch at this point, at my level and think a team can't do without a tank or a healer.

I also got placed into Diamond tier...in competitive Lucioball. I don't know what other people's experiences are of quickplay Lucioball but every match I've been in the enemy team has no intention of playing at all, they just run forward or run around in circles.

Edited by Tuffty at 16:47:08 18-08-2017
  • Supra_Hans 22 Aug 2017 10:27:40 91 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tuffty I haven't bothered with the placements. Quickplay Lucioball is awful though, it's been pretty frequent to just get a player that has clearly left a chairleg on their controller so they don't get dc'd for being afk and run in a straight line until they hit the wall. I'm guessing they're just grinding loot boxes, but it's really frustrating - particularly on console where there is still no report system.

I think I will switch to PC at some point when I can be bothered.
  • dankcushions 22 Aug 2017 15:15:34 315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    if you don't have a healer, then change to a healer. i feel like overwatch is 99% populated by people complaining there's no healer, whilst maining a non-healer. hmm.

i think the tricky thing is that for as simple as overwatch is, it takes many hours for most people to be effective with any character. i'm level ~120 and i'd still only feel confident with a handful of characters (zarya, soldier, torb). i'll sometimes go lucio/mercy if there's no other healers, but i'd instalock one of my mains until it's clear that no-one is healing, because i'd want the healer mains to get first pick.

i'd like to get better with mercy/lucio, and i am.. but there it is.
  • Supra_Hans 22 Aug 2017 16:42:38 91 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know if I'm atypical in that I've never really 'mained' a character. I tend to dabble with a hero for a while, then move on when I'm getting a bit bored. I have played healers overall more than anything else, but that's circumstance related. I guess there's a few heroes I've never really taken a shine to (Torb, Reaper, D.Va and Bastion), but I don't really have a favourite that goes beyond whoever I feel like picking dependent on team comp, or who I feel like playing that game.
  • Tuffty 22 Aug 2017 18:59:16 3,989 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dankcushions wrote:
    if you don't have a healer, then change to a healer. i feel like overwatch is 99% populated by people complaining there's no healer, whilst maining a non-healer. hmm.
    There are 25 characters in Overwatch, I would like to play more than just 2 because I'm the only one on the team seemingly aware of the fact that a match is a lost cause without a healer. When it's happening in the majority of matches I'm put in, then it's a problem.

Some incoming D.Va changes are coming to the PTR including reduced duration on her defense matrix, being able to shoot while boosting and a whole new ability, Micro Missiles, which launch a line of missles that cause some splash damage. I'd imagine something like Soldier's Helix Rockets but probably not as strong. Would be an interesting change, makes D.Va more offensive while also reducing Defense Matrix's strength meaning she's not as reliant to eat up ultimates. As a Soldier player, this makes me happy!

New map incoming too!

And an animated short to give a short preview. Rumour is another animated short is also due at Gamescom tomorrow, centered around Mei

• Ror 22 Aug 2017 19:44:20 16,223 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    dankcushions wrote:
    There are 25 characters in Overwatch, I would like to play more than just 2 because I'm the only one on the team seemingly aware of the fact that a match is a lost cause without a healer. When it's happening in the majority of matches I'm put in, then it's a problem.
    Well said. I tend to play a lot of Mercy/Lucio anyway, as I enjoy playing them. But when you have to play them because no other fucker will, it starts to grate.

I used to play a lot of D.Va and Pharah, and I reckon I'd be rubbish with them now, simply because I hardly ever use them anymore.

As for the D.Va changes, I saw Stylosa's video last night. Sounds... interesting. Not sure how to feel about that until we've at least seen something.
  • JiveHound 22 Aug 2017 22:03:32 8,742 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I welcome the Dva changes. She's a slog to fight at the mo.
  • Supra_Hans 23 Aug 2017 09:41:53 91 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Tuffty wrote:
    dankcushions wrote:
    Well said. I tend to play a lot of Mercy/Lucio anyway, as I enjoy playing them. But when you have to play them because no other fucker will, it starts to grate.

I used to play a lot of D.Va and Pharah, and I reckon I'd be rubbish with them now, simply because I hardly ever use them anymore.

As for the D.Va changes, I saw Stylosa's video last night. Sounds... interesting. Not sure how to feel about that until we've at least seen something.
    Agree entirely; I'm happy to play a healer most of the time, but I have just got into the habit of quitting a game when I'm the last person to pick and nobody has picked a tank or a healer. I'm happy to play either, but playing a tank without heals is miserable, and playing a healer like Mercy without a tank to draw focus/hide behind is also often a case of repeated deaths with team mates spamming 'need healing' as you run back from spawn again.

I wonder if a game mode like heroes of the storm might work for quickplay, where you choose your hero first, then get match-made into a balanced team with 2 supports and at least one tank (you could allow switching but only to other healers/tanks for example). It would mean the dps heroes take longer to get matches, but might solve some of the issues several people here seem to be having.
  • -HairyArse 23 Aug 2017 10:18:31 978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Back into Overwatch again this week after having had a few weeks off in petulance at shitty team-mate. Man, Doomfist takes some figuring out.

I gotta get that Soldier grillmaster skin, though.
  • Dombat 23 Aug 2017 12:01:55 1,134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just got the McCree skin so far. I really want the Mercy legendary skin but I'm running out of time to build the currency for it so I'll be depending on a lucky drop.
  • Reacher 23 Aug 2017 13:46:12 2,551 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Tuffty wrote:
    dankcushions wrote:

I really enjoy playing Reinhardt, Zarya and Soldier. However all of my hours are heavily weighted as Lucio or Mercy mainly because no-one else does.

I've gone back on to it over the past few days. Same issues with the players and the Lucio-Ball is horrible. Game is so good though that I can never stay away from it for long periods of time.
  • Ror 23 Aug 2017 14:13:53 16,223 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, Lucio Ball is, well, balls :) I haven't touched it since the first day, which was exactly my reaction to it the first time around.
  • Dombat 23 Aug 2017 14:25:18 1,134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ror I thought it was extremely shit when I first tried it this year (having barely touched it last year) but I watched a couple of tips videos and got quite into it the other day, winning enough games to get the bonus loot boxes.

It is still just a really shit Rocket League though. :D
  • Ror 23 Aug 2017 14:57:33 16,223 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dombat I couldn't even be bothered to do that :D It was at least a novelty last year.

I'd like them to do more things like the Anniversary event. But then, even that got a bit boring after a while.
  • Tuffty 23 Aug 2017 18:58:56 3,989 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New ani-MEI-ted short is just out involving everyone's favourite ice wall blocking the spawn door troll. As expected, it's quite charming and sweet just like all the others.

• Dombat 23 Aug 2017 20:07:57 1,134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mei is the best.
  • ChiefGB 23 Aug 2017 21:56:47 7,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    She is, also I had a little something in my eye.................
  • Tuffty 24 Aug 2017 20:28:04 3,989 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    D.Va changes are up now on the PTR and amazingly, some insane changes to Mercy.

Rez is now just a regular ability. Has a 28 second cooldown but the drawback is that it can only resurrect one player at a time and you have to be close by to activate it. In it's place, Mercy has a new ultimate called Valkyrie. Rez ability immediately refreshes, beams now extend twice as long, beams can chain together, her gun does more damage, can shoot faster and has infinite ammo and she can fly freely. As in you press forward in any direction and she can fly there. Insane changes, it means no more 5 man rez anymore. More on it here

Could create an annoying scenario where Mercy and Pharah combo are even stronger than before. If Pharah dies, Mercy can rez right away and maybe stay alive just long enough for the cooldown to refresh and do it all over again. Will need to see it in action. "Heroes never die" feels like it has less impact though.

Edited by Tuffty at 20:39:34 24-08-2017
  • Page

of 247 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.