What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 66

• Page

of 68 First / Last

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Dec 2017 16:46:44 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just started Super Robot Wars V. One of those series I'd always meant to try, but which has always been difficult to get hold of, as the tangled web of licensing associated with the various different anime properties involved makes it pretty much impossible to release the main series outside of Japan and a couple of other Asian countries.

This version's available in English because the publisher has figured out a work-around. Release - as a Japanese game - a PS4 "international edition" with all of the text in English and make sure copies are liberally available to international distributors. Bought this one directly from Amazon UK (and not via a third party seller or anything). It's pretty flagrant; it's clearly a Japanese release (the age-rating on the box is CERO and the DLC can only be accessed via the Japanese PSN store), but all of the box text is in English, as is all of the in-game text (there isn't even a Japanese-text option).

Seems fairly fun so far, albeit massively text heavy. Basically a Disgaea-style tactics RPG. The battles so far have been really simple compared to Disgaea, but that might just be because I'm still on the opening levels.

Edited by Rogueywon at 16:47:00 30-12-2017
  • Malek86 30 Dec 2017 18:58:55 6,628 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not much other than some daily Destiny 2 quests and some tinkering with my old PC (I still need to understand what's causing dithering artifacts in 16-bits rendering on some of my graphics cards).

I'm holding off some stuff for the new year though. I wanna start the Witcher 3 DLCs, and at some point I'll also need to actually play Link Between Worlds.
  • the_dudefather 30 Dec 2017 19:47:59 10,569 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been playing Human fall flat (which @Rogueywon gifted me in one of the random key giveaways)

Pretty fun, first saw it on Dara o'briain's Go 8-bit, it's a physics based 3D platforming/puzzle game

Can be very fiddly (purposely so in most cases) but very satisfying, especially some of the more complicated interactions you have to do in later levels
  • FIFAfan 30 Dec 2017 22:25:17 160 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Call of Duty: WWII - My first COD. Not into FPS' generally, but find WWII interesting, and this is very Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers. The production values are through the roof, great visuals and sound.

Fifa 17 - My favourite Fifa, due to its tighter defending online (unlike other recent Fifa's, where pace and tricks are over-powered, and abusers frustratingly waltz through your defence time and again). Makes for balanced skill-based and tactical matches.

F1 2016 - My favourite sim racer (none of the annoying exaggerated fish-tail physics of most road car sims). Solid handling and road-holding means I can concentrate on pushing the car to its limits, as I weave it around the circuit. Both technical and fun to drive.
  • superbob85 30 Dec 2017 22:40:41 8,354 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Assassin's creed unity - enjoying it so far only about 2 or so hours in and actually enjoying the story. The graphics are good combat can be a bit hit and miss but can deal with that considering I got it for 59p.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Dec 2017 23:10:13 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My word, Super Robot Wars V is stupid but a lot of fun. The main plot seems to be a hybrid of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and Cross Ange... two of the best shows of recent years (though I know many would disagree with me on those picks)... with the wanky Gundam stuff mostly sidelined. It's cheesy as hell, but very enjoyable.

Combat is better if you jack up the difficulty a bit. Disgaea was probably the wrong comparison. Despite the RPG elements, it's really more in the vein of the Battle Isle/Advance Wars "military" turn based strategy games, albeit with hilariously overblown attack animations.
  • drhcnip 30 Dec 2017 23:12:02 5,504 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    just embarked on pillars of eternity on ps4...loving the old-school feel of it, though i think i may some time finishing the bugger...it feels big....
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Dec 2017 23:13:23 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @drhcnip Yeah, it's big. The PS4 version includes White March as well, doesn't it? My PC playtime for the full game with expansions was 73 hours according to Steam... and I'm a fast reader.
  • drhcnip 30 Dec 2017 23:18:00 5,504 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon

excellent - twas exactly what i felt like and will be a nice companion piece to the modern bomblast of origins....though it probably means i'll only play two games this year, even though i qualify for the fast reader award too...:D

and, yep, has the white march pack - though i hear they're not the greatest...
  • LittleSparra 30 Dec 2017 23:20:26 7,367 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fable Fortune. Glitchy as in early access, but a great little game generally.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Dec 2017 23:27:14 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @drhcnip White March is good stuff! Don't know who told you otherwise.

I think the problem on PC was that the two halves of White March were released separately and, if you bought them separately without the season pass discount, the price was a bit steep. The story works better as a single piece, so having an arbitrary halt in the middle of it wasn't great either. But if you're starting fresh on PS4 with White March as part of the bundle, then rest assured that it's really fun.

By and large, as Pillars of Eternity's main story mimics Baldur's Gate 2, White March mimics Icewind Dale. This is a good thing - Icewind Dale is an under-appreciated classic.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:29:57 30-12-2017
  • LittleSparra 30 Dec 2017 23:34:43 7,367 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The moment Pillars and Tides go on sale i am snaffling them up on console. Easily play them on pc but just cba these days, weirdly.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Dec 2017 23:38:32 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is Tyranny on/coming to console?

There's a game I have really conflicting views on. Played it through on PC. So much potential, but everything falls to pieces in the third act and the whole game ends just as it feels it should be getting going. Final playtime of 29 hours, which isn't tiny, but is much, much less than Pillars (and it's priced about the same).

I'm told the Bastard's Wounds expansion tidies up the third act a lot as well as adding new content, but not sure I cba with a new playthrough to try it.
  • drhcnip 30 Dec 2017 23:47:29 5,504 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    Couldn't get better for me than bg2 & ice wind so happy to hear that... It was a few ps4 reviews that gave me that impression so good to hear your views on it... Loving it atm and great transfer of controls to console..
  • LittleSparra 31 Dec 2017 00:11:07 7,367 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dunno about Tyranny, but this mini convo just saw me buy Torment on Xbone for Ł12. Sweet.

Just before the buying 10 games in 2018 challenge! \o/
  • Chug666 5 Jan 2018 10:52:56 357 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just pulled Prey out of my backlog pile, about 2 hours in. I think I like it, but starting to get the same feeling of slightly forced fun that I got with Dishonored 2- maybe its the obsessive need to search every corner and read lots of exposition emails/notes (which I know aren't essential but my gaming OCD won't allow me to push on if I think I've missed something). Hoping the fun factor ramps up a bit soon...
  • ghearoid 5 Jan 2018 10:58:40 2,787 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mopping up some unfinished 3DS games
    - Mario Tennis Open (two cups left)
    - Pokémon Sun (third island)
    - Fire Emblem Birthright (three chapters left)
    - Story of Seasons (end of third year)

I hope to be finished with all of them by the end of January so I can move on to the rest of my 3DS library/backlog shame. :)
  • Humperfunk 5 Jan 2018 11:17:58 7,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trying not to buy anything for as long as possible and to finish what I actually have (unless it's a genuine must have day one game like Ni No Kuni 2 or RDR2)

And so I am finally playing Breath of the Wild properly since I got it with my Switch at launch nearly 10 months ago. I had only put in about 10 hours but have now added another 10-15 and fucking hell, yeah it's great. Even just the satisfaction from cooking a load of stuff for ages to prepare yourself for entering a desert was good!

Still playing Chaos;Child on PS Vita too although that has slowed to a crawl somewhat.
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Jan 2018 11:25:55 1,135 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    Mopping up some unfinished 3DS games

- Fire Emblem Birthright (three chapters left)

I hope to be finished with all of them by the end of January so I can move on to the rest of my 3DS library/backlog shame. :)
    Reminds me i need to charge my 3ds and finish off revelations
  • Malek86 5 Jan 2018 11:44:50 6,628 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm playing Lego Island, and already I'm stumped.

Children's games back in the 90's sure were difficult. I love the dubbing though. Italian dubs in videogames were almost invariably bad, especially before the advent of AAA games, but this one feels very natural, like the cast was actually having fun dubbing it.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:56:24 05-01-2018
  • superbob85 5 Jan 2018 12:55:26 8,354 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still playing AC unity spent hours getting every viewpoint and completed numerous side missions got to sequence 7 so far. Enjoying the upgrades and abilities that can be unlocked I must have about 20 hours so far.
  • samharper 5 Jan 2018 14:07:14 939 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Playing Nier (360) and Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut (PC) at the moment. Never quite clicked with either of them before but after 6 hours Nier seems to be picking up a bit and the DC version of DE is so much better just for the pip recharge.
  • Zippity-zap 5 Jan 2018 23:01:14 244 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm playing The Evil Within 2, and really enjoying it. I disliked the first game quite a bit, but I think this sequel might be better than Resident Evil 7 for me.
  • splosh 5 Jan 2018 23:18:30 21 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    X-Com2 War of the Chosen PS4

Fancied a new playthrough and having not experienced any of the new content decided to get the dlc. Really changes up the game in terms of narrative and only having experienced a smudge of vanilla X-Com2 it really changes the dynamics.

Failed rather badly early on by researching the wrong things but things seem to be going o.k now ( playing on commander and occasionally save scumming ) I've beaten one chosen so far but the avatar project is really heating up.

For anyone interested the loading times seem to be over thirty seconds/one minute on base ps4 with occasional frame rate hitches and odd graphical issues but I haven't encountered any game breaking glitches. Definitly worth an investment if you are looking for more XCOM.

Pods of bloody codexes can ram a spoon up their hole though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Jan 2018 00:01:20 5,242 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oxenfree

Had got it and started it before Christmas when it was free in the gog sale but putting some serious time into it this week.

Got that Life is Strange thing where the teens talk like no real teen has ever done and yet there's enough going on with them that I'm hooked on their idle chatter. The real time chat options took some getting used to since there isn't the typical pause for dialogue options or timer like in most other adventure games or rpgs.

The vibe is totally in the Stranger Things, Night Vale or Life is Strange camp.

The art style in game is lush even if the characters are a little too cartoony in their concept art and the photo mode.

One of those stories where I almost don't care if the truth of the mystery is revealed at all since existing in and exploring the world is cool enough on its own.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Jan 2018 10:22:29 13,127 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mario Odyssey and Statik.
  • Stranded87 6 Jan 2018 14:54:26 1,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Divinity Original Sin 2. Been playing this on and off since launch, 63 hours clocked now and the end is still seemingly nowhere in sight. I don't think I really have the time or patience for games that are more than around 35 hours long any more but I'm making an exception for this as it's so, so good.
  • Malek86 7 Jan 2018 15:21:47 6,628 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Playing through Alien Isolation now, thanks to some generous forumites.

I must admit, after reading a bit around the net, I was tempted to start on Hard because everyone (even the game) says it's the way the devs intended it. But 5 hours in, I'm glad I started on Normal instead. I must have died tens of times in the scimed area alone.
  • Darth_Flibble 7 Jan 2018 17:54:51 2,882 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Batman: telltale game (season 1)
    Got it on psn+ and I'm glad I wait till TT games are "free" on either Plus or GwG. episode 2 was technical mess, the scene on the bridge with Bruce and Gordon had BW's head twisted facing his back and also the rest of the scene had some weird animation bugs. Thought it was just me but my friend also playing it had the same glitches (which TT never bothered to fix) also the alley scene had weird graphical bugs outside the cinema flashback like the camera was clipping (then it of course crashed after that)

Apart from that I'm enjoying the game, the combat is a lot better than past TT games, where it would freeze and shit itself in walking dead s1 and 2 for examples. I'm guessing none of your choices really change the story.
  • Page

of 68 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.