Soundgarden v Pearl Jam...FIGHT

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Apr 2014 18:12:37 15,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi chaps
    Hot on the heels (well 3 odd months) of Waters v Gilmour* I bring you part 2 in my series of 100 of "they are both great but which one is the greatest"!
    Not going to include any of CC other bands/works which as we know is a lot of work out side SG. All of it awesome and yes I like Scream so there! ;)

We call all agree that TOTD are excellent however.

For me Soundgarden are the kings, from Ultramega OK right through to King Animal I have loved the band and the boys themselves, high points of high points being Badmotorfinger and Superunknown. Chris Cornell is an awesome singer and still has it, when the mood takes him I grant you, but it is there, Ben,Kim and Matt also excellent musicians.

I did come to Pearl Jam a few years into their career at Vitalogy, I have since gone back to the beginning of course. The most recent release of Lightning Bolt is currently on heavy rotation on my MP3 player. Have to say at this point PJ version of the sublime Dylan epic "Masters of war" is brilliant.

In the genre I also like AiC a lot including the 2 latest albums and STP.

So over to my fellow EG grungeheads :)

*I think it was a tie

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• RedSparrows 15 Apr 2014 18:14:28 24,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Soundgarden.
  • Cappy 15 Apr 2014 18:16:41 12,119 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're equally talented at being boring. I declare it a tie.

Edited by Cappy at 18:16:51 15-04-2014
  • Deleted user 15 April 2014 18:17:12
    At the time I preferred Pearl Jam, but I always preferred Nirvana and even Alice in Chains to both. And Smashing Pumpkins. I was never mad about Soundgarden for some reason. Just didn't quite click with me.

And then I became a happier person and went off all of it.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 Apr 2014 18:18:30 26,629 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pearl Jam are the fucking nuts.
  • Great-Googly-Moogly 15 Apr 2014 18:18:59 1,305 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Too hard to choose.. but i would say soundgarden. Just. In my current frame of mind.

I like them for different reasons though. I love the big opressive rifts in songs like slaves and bulldozers, and i love PJ for there reflective side, i love no code, it sums up as an album as an whole why i like the band.

Then they sort of crossover at times, and i can see why one would love one and the other.

I really enjoyed Chris's Solo Album Euphoria morning, and i could listen to him sing all day, luckily had the chance to see him do his solo tour a couple years back. Into the wild is the dog bollocks too :)

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    Photography: www.joelstinton.wordpress.com
    Games: www.joelsgamereview.wordpress.com

• modestmunch 15 Apr 2014 18:20:05 105 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    At the time I preferred Pearl Jam, but I always preferred Nirvana and even Alice in Chains to both. And Smashing Pumpkins. I was never mad about Soundgarden for some reason. Just didn't quite click with me.
    This. Absolutely this.

I hate Greatest hits, compilations and live recordings but Alice in Chains unplugged is genuinely one of the greatest releases of the 90's.
  • dunts 15 Apr 2014 18:29:05 4,218 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pearl Jam.

One of the best live bands ever.
  • ram 15 Apr 2014 18:39:42 3,488 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I suppose on the basis that I only ever listen to badmotorfinger occasional nowadays whilst I listen to numerous Pearl Jam albums still I'd go with PJ. Jesus Christ Posse though when I first heard that, what a song.

Pearl Jam were always seen as being a bit fake ion the grunge scene, can't remember why or care. Was always a bit partial to Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff album. Best title ever.
  • DaM 15 Apr 2014 19:11:21 13,537 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ram wrote:
    I suppose on the basis that I only ever listen to badmotorfinger occasional nowadays whilst I listen to numerous Pearl Jam albums still I'd go with PJ. Jesus Christ Posse though when I first heard that, what a song.

Pearl Jam were always seen as being a bit fake ion the grunge scene, can't remember why or care. Was always a bit partial to Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff album. Best title ever.
    Never liked Pearl Jam, think I like SG a wee bit...not much though, they were dull. Superfuzz Bigmuff was a classic though, might have to download that! I hate that Primal Scream song with the same sample intro at the start, I always think it's Mudhoney coming on.d
  • FuzzyDuck 15 Apr 2014 19:22:19 4,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Temple of the Dog.
  • bladdard 15 Apr 2014 19:34:00 1,025 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pearl Jam > Nirvana > Smashing Pumpkins > Soundgarden > Stone Temple Pilots > Bush > Foo Fighters (pop group)

Edited by bladdard at 19:34:18 15-04-2014
  • itsoldsquarejaw 15 Apr 2014 19:39:12 208 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bush before Foo Fighters? Madness!

STP getting love though. Yeeaah.

edit; and now I'm listening to Tiny Music; Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop.

Edited by itsoldsquarejaw at 19:42:31 15-04-2014
  • jonsaan 15 Apr 2014 19:39:29 25,440 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Soundgarden, as it took them longer to disappear up their own arse.

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 15 Apr 2014 19:41:06 25,440 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was part of the Croydon grunge scene....called.......wait for it.........Crunge :)

FCUTA!

• RedSparrows 15 Apr 2014 19:42:29 24,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If we're going that far, Smashing Pumpkins > all other bands of early 90s. Yeah, fanboy here.
  • Phil-McCrack 15 Apr 2014 19:49:28 3,415 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can't stand Eddie Vedders nazaly annoying voice, Soundgarden hands down by a gazzilion miles.

Chris Cornell fucking rocks.

I may be very biased.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• Vortex808 15 Apr 2014 21:43:50 7,592 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Soundgarden for me since I never took to Pearl Jam.

However, as others have mentioned already, Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff EP was essentially the best slab of vinyl produced by the grunge scene in my jaundiced opinion. Simply sublime. I still listen to it regularly.
  • PES_Fanboy 15 Apr 2014 21:57:36 18,999 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    I was part of the Croydon grunge scene....called.......wait for it.........Crunge :)
    The Clacton scene was WAY more fun
  • bladdard 15 Apr 2014 22:06:26 1,025 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    The Clacton scene was WAY more fun
    Somebody had to. :o|
  • andytheadequate 15 Apr 2014 22:27:32 8,372 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ten is an all time great album. Never heard a Pearl Jam song on another album that I like though
  • Great-Googly-Moogly 15 Apr 2014 23:58:59 1,305 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Ten is a weird album for pearl jam ( it is a great one , not my favourite but i can see why it is labelled an an all time great) , because it feels to me an album that should have come later in their career, the production, and the song writing is a band at the top of their game, it almost dear i say it, stadium rock. It comes when bands have been together for 10-15 years, it was their debut.

No code is my favourite pearl jam album, it' quite stripped back, and hazy, and laid back which i like a lot habit, smile, up in my tree, of he goes etc are really great songs.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    Photography: www.joelstinton.wordpress.com
    Games: www.joelsgamereview.wordpress.com

• FuzzyDuck 16 Apr 2014 01:36:26 4,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great_Googly_Moogly wrote:
    Ten is a weird album for pearl jam ( it is a great one , not my favourite but i can see why it is labelled an an all time great) , because it feels to me an album that should have come later in their career, the production, and the song writing is a band at the top of their game, it almost dear i say it, stadium rock. It comes when bands have been together for 10-15 years, it was their debut.
    I've always chalked that up to Gossard and Ament's time playing together in both Green River and Mother Love Bone, especially when you consider they wrote the bulk of "Ten".
  • kinky_mong 16 Apr 2014 12:20:51 10,868 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Ten is an all time great album. Never heard a Pearl Jam song on another album that I like though
    Same for me for the most part which is why I say Soundgarden win. Chris Cornell's voice wipes the floor with Vedder.

Alice in Chains dump on both of them from a great height though. Dirt and the Unplugged album are two of the best of the 90's IMO.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Murbs 16 Apr 2014 12:28:38 22,591 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Glad I got to see AIC before Layne Staley died. Awesome stuff; started on stage silhouetted behind a great white sheet playing Nutshell. Glorious.

I say PJ purely on the strength of Ten and specifically Black, one of the most melancholy songs I've ever heard. Love it.

In related news, the most recent Brad album is an absolute corker. IMHO of course.

Edited by Murbal at 12:32:29 16-04-2014
  • Murbs 16 Apr 2014 12:31:12 22,591 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • kinky_mong 16 Apr 2014 12:37:15 10,868 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Glad I got to see AIC before Layne Staley died. Awesome stuff; started on stage silhouetted behind a great white sheet playing Nutshell. Glorious.
    That sounds incredible. I only saw them for the first time last year so obviously it can't match how they were when Staley was still alive, but it was still fantastic and DuVall does a great Staley impression. Jerry Cantrell is of course still a guitar god.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Murbs 16 Apr 2014 12:42:01 22,591 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    That sounds incredible. I only saw them for the first time last year so obviously it can't match how they were when Staley was still alive, but it was still fantastic and DuVall does a great Staley impression. Jerry Cantrell is of course still a guitar god.
    Whaddayaknow!

http://vimeo.com/36310099

That's my afternoon sorted ;-)
  • PierrePressure 16 Apr 2014 12:49:47 282 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Weird thing for me is that whilst I quite like both bands, I don't think I've listened to any of their albums and felt each track was killer.
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2014 12:50:05 69,537 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pearl Jam all the way. I kind of missed Soundgarden at the time, have tried a bit since but find it harder to get in to. Love a bit of Pumpkins and AiC too.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous