Boiler - Knackered?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Jan 2014 08:47:56 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So the boiler broke last christmas and now I think I've done it myself... its already buggered where the pressure drops to nothing when using the bath or hot water, its been like that for years and several engineers have said its beyond repair in that regard but Im too poor for a new one, anyway.

I have to fill the boiler using the tap on the pipe underneath every morning until the pressure reaches 2, however this morning I fell over whilst filling it.... and filled it to massive amounts... the safety valve kicked in a spewed the water all over my extension. Now whenever I try to refill its just going straight onto the roof like the safety valve hasnt reset.... have I totally buggered it or do I need to reset it in some way?

Ive looked on the net but cant find an answer its some kind of crappy ferroli boiler.

Any help appreciated as its bloody freezing and I now suddenly have ear ache as well...

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 08:48:19 04-01-2014

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 08:49:06 04-01-2014

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Dougs 4 Jan 2014 08:53:15 67,293 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have you tried turning it on and off again?
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Jan 2014 09:01:26 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I now release I may need to turn the pressure relief valve, a red valve? But I cant seem to locate it all I can see under the boiler is the valve attached to the hose and nothing above it, is it likely to be inside the boiler because I cant get even see how to get the front off, cheers

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• midnight_walker 4 Jan 2014 09:02:03 1,947 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it definitely plugged in?
  • OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 09:05:33 2,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You should get boiler care cover, I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and was buggered, wouldn't be without it now, I pay £13 a month and you get a service once a year at no extra cost.

Edited by OptimusPube at 09:05:59 04-01-2014

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• midnight_walker 4 Jan 2014 09:16:26 1,947 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    You should get boiler care cover, I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and was buggered, wouldn't be without it now, I pay £13 a month and you get a service once a year at no extra cost.
    Yeah, this. My boiler is fucking shit - I've only lived in my house 3 and a bit years and the boiler has given me a fair bit of trouble, but because I have cover it's had about £1500 worth of repairs done to it during that time at a total cost to me of £50, incurred when I switched to a cheaper plan that only covered the first £500 worth of the job.
    They do however require that your boiler is in working order when they start your cover, of course, so it's more like 'you should have done this sooner', unfortunately. Also, almost all of them won't cover boilers over 7 years old, although a few cover up to 10 year old ones.

Edited by midnight_walker at 09:17:57 04-01-2014
  • OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 09:31:38 2,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hope you have a fireplace dude as that is scary shit if you don't, when my boiler went at least we could keep warm by the fire, I know that modern houses don't come with them they just have central heating, can't you just stick your hob on or is it electric?

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• INSOMANiAC 4 Jan 2014 09:32:57 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I need to find out how to get the fron cover off , im pretty sure the pressure release valve is in there, I cant see anything in the instruction manual and theres no visible screws attaching it and it wont just pull up and off. I realise Im just basically talking to myself at this point

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 11:12:46 04-01-2014

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 09:36:18 2,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Take some pics and post them in here I maybe able to help.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• skuzzbag 4 Jan 2014 09:39:04 5,638 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The cover might screw off from the top.
  • skuzzbag 4 Jan 2014 09:41:17 5,638 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't you phone homeserve and see what they can do for you?
  • OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 09:48:56 2,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just to let you know don't be ripped off by cowboys BTW, when mine went I got a few quotes and one set of cunts told me my boiler was unserviceable as he implied (lied out of his fucking teeth) that you couldn't get parts for it anymore and quoted me £2000 hahahahahaha for a new boiler, they were my first quote.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• reggy72 4 Jan 2014 10:02:35 273 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    I need to find out how to get the fron cover off , im pretty sure the pressure release valve is in there, I cant see anything in the instruction manual and theres no visible screws attaching it and it wont just pull up and off. I release Im just basically talking to myself at this point
    To be fair mate this is a not a boiler forum, I would have thought that the blow off valve would have been located on the underside, not internally where it could cause some damage. If its a combi boiler I thought the pressure bar gauge was more to do with the heating system rather than the hot water supply as hot water is pressure fed from the water mains, although if 2/3 bar is not registering the boilers diaphragm does not work efficiently as they're sort of linked in firing up both parts of the system, I suppose as a long shot you could try bleeding your radiators to release the pressure you've built up in the system?
    Other than that mate find yourself a decent plumber/gas engineer, A lot of these so called service packages are in my opinion a scam to replace a decent boiler that my have a few minor faults that can be rectified for a few hundred quid at most as oppose to well over 1k for a new system, your best bet is one of the one man band heating engineers not say British gas and the likes.
  • midnight_walker 4 Jan 2014 10:12:19 1,947 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    reggy72 wrote:
    I would have thought that the blow off valve would have been located on the underside
    That's certainly where my blow off valve is located.
  • OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 10:25:42 2,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @reggy72

"A few hundred quid at the most", I pay £156 a year for peace of mind, that is not a scam, it is common sense.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• reggy72 4 Jan 2014 10:30:24 273 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    reggy72 wrote:
    I would have thought that the blow off valve would have been located on the underside
    That's certainly where my blow off valve is located.
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Jan 2014 10:30:26 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @reggy72 Cheers, my mate is a boiler engineer but hes away at the moment hes been offering me advice via vfacebook and hes told me to keep bleeding the radiator until the pressure drops but there is no pressure, its at zero! I've had the front off the boiler, emptied the cupboard and searched high and low and I can find no sign of a pressure release valve, I believe its not sat again properly after its been set off by me putting too much pressure in

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• reggy72 4 Jan 2014 10:42:00 273 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @OptimusPube

True mate, it is for boilers less than ten years old, as long as a boiler is looked after they should be good for about 25 years as long as the parts are still available, my point is that if you went to a large service provider they will insist on a new system with a load of bollocks on how obsolete your older boiler is etc, so a perfectly serviceable boiler that can be corrected for minimal money is scrapped and you end up with a 1k bill that could have been a few hundred quid instead.
  • OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 10:43:16 2,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    reggy72 wrote:
    @OptimusPube

True mate, it is for boilers less than ten years old, as long as a boiler is looked after they should be good for about 25 years as long as the parts are still available, my point is that if you went to a large service provider they will insist on a new system with a load of bollocks on how obsolete your older boiler is etc, so a perfectly serviceable boiler that can be corrected for minimal money is scrapped and you end up with a 1k bill that could have been a few hundred quid instead.
    Take a look at my post above.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• reggy72 4 Jan 2014 10:44:15 273 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    @reggy72 Cheers, my mate is a boiler engineer but hes away at the moment hes been offering me advice via vfacebook and hes told me to keep bleeding the radiator until the pressure drops but there is no pressure, its at zero! I've had the front off the boiler, emptied the cupboard and searched high and low and I can find no sign of a pressure release valve, I believe its not sat again properly after its been set off by me putting too much pressure in
    You mentioned that a pipe is dropping water onto your extension, can you chase this pipe back to the boiler?
  • Scurrminator 4 Jan 2014 10:49:58 8,405 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it keeps losing pressure like that as well then it suggests you have a leak. That water is going somewhere. I'd recommend getting a pro in. Try someone local as they're less likely to bullshit. Use one of the tradesmen checking sites.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 10:56:15 2,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mine kept losing pressure when mine went, it turned out that the expansion vessel had punctured in mine.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• INSOMANiAC 4 Jan 2014 11:03:28 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @reggy72 Ive located the pressure release valve on a diagram... and its in the worst possible place, behind where the electrics are sat. Handy, I took it apart and tried to get the electronics off but I didnt fancy making things worse so I've stuck it back together, have to get a pro in I think, I wouldnt mind but Im convinced that pressure valve just needs resetting and its going to cost me a small fortune! Fucking boilers!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• nickthegun 4 Jan 2014 11:07:44 59,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would suggest you keep poking it until you flood your house

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• skuzzbag 4 Jan 2014 12:03:04 5,638 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd phone homeserve in 10 years of using them they have fixed a number of boiler issues for me (in different properties) the most I ever paid was 200 for a new pump when that failed. That was without a contract with them which would of course be cheaper. They will probably charge about 75 quid for maintenance that doesn't need new parts.

Or you could spend all day trying to find a local plumber who may well rip you off!
  • OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 12:12:11 2,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And there's always check a trade dot com.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• markytonline83 4 Jan 2014 13:45:35 144 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I'm a gas safe registered engineer. Your problem firstly is the expansion vessel has gone tits up. That is why you are having to top it up with water every day. Secondly, because you over filled it the safety blow off valve has opened up to let the excess water out but in doing so debris and muck as got into the valve and is stopping it from closing back so every time you fill it up the water keeps escaping. If it's a ferolli boiler they are not worth spending any money on as you will struggle to find a worse boiler out there. It also sounds like you have flogged the boiler to death. You will have to bit the bullet sooner rather than later and get a new one. Yes it will be expensive but a new boiler would be more efficient and cost less to run, and there are also schemes at the moment were you can get new boilers for free if you match certain criteria. I.e. If your boiler is old and not efficient you can get a new one. Look up Green deal or Affordable warmth on the Internet.

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• Load_2.0 4 Jan 2014 13:54:02 19,158 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surely that has to be one of the best answers supplied on EG for some time!
  • Orange 4 Jan 2014 14:00:38 4,749 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah well impressed :D
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Jan 2014 14:13:29 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know the ferroli are shite and I will be getting a new one. It's not worth spending any more money on an expansion valve it's been buggered for years

Anyway, he turned up, put his hand under the boiler, turned the valve. Boom, 40 quid.

Gutted because I had my hand under there but couldn't feel it. Anyway, it lives to fight another day!

Thanks for the help

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 14:14:06 04-01-2014

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous