Where next for Nintendo? Page 2

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2013 11:34:27 10,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    They haven't innovated a damn thing for at least a decade.

Actually, make that 15 years.
    Címon,
    You canít seriously say that the Wii wasnít innovative.
    You may have disliked it but it clearly was innovative.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• alexm 3 Dec 2013 11:35:49 246 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I want to say a new console but when I think of the hardware innovations of the Wii/Wii U - despite their good points I think both will always feel a bit gimmicky.

It would be pretty cool if they could just make software and use the power of Xbox One/PS4 without compromising on their game design tenants.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Dec 2013 11:36:41 37,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Címon,
    The Wiimote was an iteration, a refinement of the Power Glove. They made it work better for sure, but it wasn't an innovation.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 11:37:27 03-12-2013

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2013 11:38:08 43,227 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think 'novel' is a better word than 'innovative'.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 3 December 2013 11:38:28
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Címon,
    The Wiimote was an iteration, a refinement of the Power Glove. They made it work better for sure, but it wasn't an innovation.
    There were also loads of other non gaming motion controllers out there by the time the Wii came out too.
  • spazmo 3 Dec 2013 11:38:36 2,756 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nintendo will bring out more Wii U games and try to grow the userbase while continuing on with the 3DS. For the next couple of years at least. Wacky idea i know.
  • lovely2cu 3 Dec 2013 11:38:59 1,194 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Make a NEW WiiU Zelda
    Make a NEW Metroid Prime WiiU game
    Make a NEW 2D Metroidvania WiiU game
    Make a NEW F Zero WiiU game
    Make a NEW Lylat Wars WiiU game
    Exactly the opposite of this. New IP please. I don't care how fucking unique, magical and infused with fairy dust the new Mario is, it's another Mario game and I think a lot of people are just rolling their eyes when they see Mario game #162 (actual number).

Nintendo are stuck in the past. Or at least they give the image that they are.
    This. I just don't care about Mario and Zelda any more, I just don't.

Sorry..
  • nickthegun 3 Dec 2013 11:39:56 58,784 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think its pretty clear that their consoles have been worse off for their 'innovations'.

The virtual boy was garbage
    The N64 controller was garbage
    The gamecube controller was garbage
    The Wiimote is garbage and stopped people developing decent games
    The gamepad took budget away from making a decent console..

And so on and so forth..

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2013 11:41:21 43,227 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gamecube controller was fine, just unfortunate to be overtaken by Sony thinking 'the same, but moreso' with the PS2.

• Rhaegyr 3 Dec 2013 11:47:11 1,409 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I really liked the GC controller, especially the Wavebird.

No idea what they were thinking with the three pronged N64 controller though - how did it ever get out of the R&D phase?

Edit - Back OT, what date do you predict Nintendo will basically write the Wii U off? It'll come sooner rather than later, but what do you think will be the year? I'd say early 2016.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 11:49:17 03-12-2013
  • nickthegun 3 Dec 2013 11:48:20 58,784 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The GC controller was terrible. The button layout was decided by throwing dots at a whiteboard and the R stick was typical, backwards 8 way thinking.

He totally called it

• sega 3 Dec 2013 11:50:28 762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Címon,
    I'd say the Wii was innovative but (although it was more in the controller than the games). The full backwards compatibility going back the NES was refreshing and games like Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports offered new experiences.

I've noticed Nintendo always seem to innovate with their controller. First it was six buttons, then analogue, then rumble, then motion control then GamePad (which was a terrible one to say the least). They need to innovate more with games if they want to go that route. As great as their titles are, they're more of an evolution of games dating back to the NES era.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Dec 2013 11:50:47 1,409 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And yet loads loved it. We must be a right bunch of spastics.

Edit - Agreed on the C-Stick though. Dire.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 11:51:51 03-12-2013
  • Chopsen 3 Dec 2013 11:51:27 15,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The GC controller was terrible...at the time. Compared to what came before and since, it was a miracle interface.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2013 11:51:59 10,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Címon,
    I see what you mean but itís arguing over semantics really, they produced the first large scale accurate motion controllers with software to make it successful the world over.
    And don't you think that no glasses 3D Gaming is innovative?

• GiarcYekrub 3 Dec 2013 11:52:54 3,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lovely2cu wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Make a NEW WiiU Zelda
    Make a NEW Metroid Prime WiiU game
    Make a NEW 2D Metroidvania WiiU game
    Make a NEW F Zero WiiU game
    Make a NEW Lylat Wars WiiU game
    Exactly the opposite of this. New IP please. I don't care how fucking unique, magical and infused with fairy dust the new Mario is, it's another Mario game and I think a lot of people are just rolling their eyes when they see Mario game #162 (actual number).

Nintendo are stuck in the past. Or at least they give the image that they are.
    This. I just don't care about Mario and Zelda any more, I just don't.

Sorry..
    I agree for Mario but Lylat Wars was N64, F Zero last iteration was on the Gamecube and lets be honest there is a huge gap in the market for a futuristic racer at the moment.
    Metroid Prime and Zelda are the games that will showcase the power and spender that Ninty can achieve and I think they appeal to an older audience than Mario.
    I think a 2D Metroidvania would work well on the gamepad, and I think Shadow Complex shows that the Metroid IP isn't needed but it can't hurt
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2013 11:53:59 10,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For my hands the GC Controller is by far the most comfortable controller ever, the C stick was poor and triggers needed hugely improved but the ďfitĒ in the hands was perfect foe me, nothing compares.

• lovely2cu 3 Dec 2013 11:55:33 1,194 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The Wiimote is garbage and stopped people developing decent games
    How long ago does 2006-8's 'Wiimania' seem now...

Wii was a huge hit initially because it was quirky, accessible and trendy. And non-gamers thus 'bought in' to a medium that had long seemed closed to them.

But two things then happened. 1) they quickly realised that the Wiimote was a rubbish device for playing good games, and 2) with their newfound comfort with the medium, many of them moved 'upstream' to Xbox 360 and PS3, most famously into the arms of Call of Duty in particular.

But Nintendo learned the wrong lesson from the Wii's early rip-roaring success, and thought they were gaming's Apple, when the reality was it was always a novelty fad that people soon saw through, and the jig was up.

The result of their miscalculation is the Wii U, an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle a second time, but unfortunately for them, people now clearly make the association that Wii = piss (pun intended).

Conclusion: Nintendo should probably just stick to their strengths with the DS tbh..
  • AcidSnake 3 Dec 2013 11:55:54 7,214 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Gamecube controller was fine, just unfortunate to be overtaken by Sony thinking 'the same, but moreso' with the PS2.
    Didn't the PS2 launch prior to the cube? Unless you meant the switch from DS1 to DS2 "the same, but moreso"...

I quite liked the N64 controller BTW, looked ugly as hell but worked...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2013 11:57:59 10,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The wiimote wasnít rubbish, it wasnít perfect and waggle was rubbish but wiimote/nunchuk with pointing controls were superb.
    Games like Red Steel 2, Pikmin 3, Metroid Prime 3 play brilliantly.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Dec 2013 11:59:35 37,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I see what you mean but itís arguing over semantics really, they produced the first large scale accurate motion controllers with software to make it successful the world over.
    And don't you think that no glasses 3D Gaming is innovative?
    RE: Motion control - that's what I said, it was an iteration and refinement. No innovation there.

RE: The 3D. I would say it's less innovation and more a gimmick to capitalise on the 3D fad that was going at the time. Only that's fallen on it's arse, and Nintendo look to have ditched the 3D idea as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• GiarcYekrub 3 Dec 2013 11:59:59 3,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was there any games where you held the left prong not the middle?
  • nickthegun 3 Dec 2013 12:00:33 58,784 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And everything else suffered.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2013 12:00:33 43,227 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Didn't the PS2 launch prior to the cube? Unless you meant the switch from DS1 to DS2 "the same, but moreso"...

I quite liked the N64 controller BTW, looked ugly as hell but worked...
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Twin analogue sticks beats one and a half analogue sticks all day long, even considering Nintendo's 'innovative' (but actually floaty and imprecise) analogue triggers.

• Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2013 12:00:43 10,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    IMO It would be really sad not to have Nintendo hardware anymore, just 2 nigh identical boxes.
    As shit as Nintendo hardware it is some ways, itís good to have something a bit different.

• nickthegun 3 Dec 2013 12:02:22 58,784 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If nintendo didnt have to concern themselves with making consoles, they may actually be able to get a few games out.

He totally called it

• macmurphy 3 Dec 2013 12:02:37 999 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Wii wasn't innovative? Are you on drugs? Nintendo completely changed the way people thought about games. They converted thousands of people who had never played games into gamers. I had my parents playing games for the first time. Sony and Microsoft then created the Move and Kinect as a result of Nintendo's massive success. It was still the best selling console of the last generation.

I accept all the problems that the wiimotes created for Nintendo, I accept that the Wii U is having problems. But saying Nintendo haven't innovated for 15 years is just bollocks.

And the N64 controller was crap? Nintendo bought analogue controllers to the masses. At the time everyone raved about how good it was. You can say you are not a fan, everyone is welcome to an opinion, but to say it was shit is so far out of line to the contemporary reception it received that you just sound like you're trying to stir things up.
  • Dougs 3 Dec 2013 12:03:05 66,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But the difference comes in the software. There's no reason why that should disappear if they become solely a software publisher. As nick says, Mario, Zelda etc would have made a killing on other systems, such is the installed base.
  • Dougs 3 Dec 2013 12:04:11 66,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mac, are your parents still playing games?
  • Page

of 26 First / Last