Modern trends you don't like in gaming

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • lovely2cu 9 Nov 2013 22:48:14 1,194 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1. Sequels for their sake (Mass Effect 4 - why?!)
    2. Milking of franchises (Not supporting the blatant cash-in that is Arkham Origins, even though I loved Asylum and City)
    3. Emphasis on shooting in every game (Resident Evil and Tomb Raider gone down the shitter as a result)
    4. Withheld DLC (Once the full game's vision is on disk, I don't mind anything that comes out of post-release, but not during, or that was purposefully left out)
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Nov 2013 22:52:09 5,077 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The lack of emotion.

... I should be able to feel something when I play games.

The Last of Us and Journey are two very good examples of scenes and moments that provokes emotion because after all, life is all about emotions.

What good is it if a game doesn't make you cry?
  • Metalfish 9 Nov 2013 22:54:09 8,790 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not sure number one is new and modern. Or two. Or three.
  • graysonavich 9 Nov 2013 22:55:09 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    360 generation thinking they've got it sussed.
  • boo 9 Nov 2013 22:55:30 11,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This new-fangled 3D business is a bit pants. I'll be glad when that particular fad dies out.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Moot_Point 9 Nov 2013 22:56:07 3,917 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Consloles?

Edited by Moot_Point at 22:56:32 09-11-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• FuzzyDuck 9 Nov 2013 22:56:59 3,905 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    -Shoe-horned multiplayer.

-Any kind of internet connection prompt - I'm playing the thing offline as I don't need every man and his dog know what I'm up to! The X1's interface looks swell, but talk about Orwellian, fucking creepy.

Capcom being total nonces to their fan base.

-Internet fanbois.
  • mal 9 Nov 2013 23:00:03 22,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is this the old trends you don't like thread?

Must say I'm not a fan of arcade games being stupidly hard to get the most 10ps out of you.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Skinja 9 Nov 2013 23:00:44 72 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Releasing a game buggy as fuck so they can patch it later.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2013 23:01:42
    Auto save slot only.
  • Rhaegyr 9 Nov 2013 23:02:00 1,430 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hold forward on the analogue stick and watching the game play itself - Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Journey and others are guilty of this. It's not fun and it's incredibly boring to watch another set piece without having any input whatsoever.

XP in multiplayer FPS' - Battlefield, COD, pretty much every FPS on the market. Just give everyone all the weapons at the start and let the enjoyment come from playing the game, not grinding out hours to unlock the next weapon. Keeps everyone on a level playing field too, irrespective of time spent in the game.

Publisher accounts - I don't want to sign up to specific Origin/EA/uPlay accounts when I already have Gold/PS+. It brings nothing to the table, slows the initial set-up down and simply punishes people who own legit copies of your titles with it's intrusive bullshit.

Critics rating Journey over Fez/Braid/Bastion/Meat Boy as the 'tour de force' of indie titles and winning numerous GOTY awards over far superior titles - really? Far better titles out there for the 'games as art' argument, too.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 23:05:55 09-11-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Nov 2013 23:02:35 14,419 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agree with fuzzy, not every game needs multiplayer, in fact the vast majority do not need it, in the worst case it's inclusion can actually harm a game.

QTE's I may have mentioned this a few times. ;-)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• ardamillo 9 Nov 2013 23:02:46 519 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not every game needs collectibles!

Bloat in general, especially multiplayer. Just do a few things well.
  • elvenscroll 9 Nov 2013 23:08:49 1,375 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A piece of cardboard with controls on rather than a manual. I used to like reading through manuals, especially when some effort was put into them.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• FuzzyDuck 9 Nov 2013 23:11:30 3,905 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    A piece of cardboard with controls on rather than a manual. I used to like reading through manuals, especially when some effort was put into them.
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on PS3 - old school punishing (well, not quite, but not far off) but also had an old school manual!
  • Deleted user 9 November 2013 23:15:33
    elvenscroll wrote:
    This.

Rpg games used to have fat manuals telling you about the monsters and stats etc.

Plus every game needs a map, even FIFA.
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Nov 2013 23:18:03 5,077 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Critics rating Journey over Fez/Braid/Bastion/Meat Boy as the 'tour de force' of indie titles and winning numerous GOTY awards over far superior titles - really? Far better titles out there for the 'games as art' argument, too.
    My God.

... how much longer are you going to moan about Journey at every given opportunity?

It is one of the games of this generation.

End of.
  • Kostabi 9 Nov 2013 23:23:14 4,877 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Renaming studios.

It's something EA backtracked on eventually with their devs but it made me a little sad to hear People Can Fly is now known as Epic Games Poland.

More gameplay related - tutorial screen spam. Seriously annoying in modern games as some of them don't think I've fully understood what the crouch button does after an hour with the game...
  • ubergine 9 Nov 2013 23:29:36 2,071 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Removing all challenge to reach a broader audience.

Making things stupidly challenging to grab a niche audience.

Free-To-Play meaning "pay a fortune to make it playable".

Pay a subscription to use basic functionality available on any other device you have.

Making your sequel stupider instead of doing more to explain why the original game was awesome and got it right to mouthbreathers.

Always Online.

Censoring online.

Too many hardware products, too few games.

Games consoles that are now only 20% games console because control all multimedia.

Games consoles that lack basic functions like CD playback.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Bremenacht 9 Nov 2013 23:31:22 17,613 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Publisher accounts - I don't want to sign up to specific Origin/EA/uPlay accounts when I already have Gold/PS+. It brings nothing to the table, slows the initial set-up down and simply punishes people who own legit copies of your titles with it's intrusive bullshit.
  • senso-ji 9 Nov 2013 23:36:10 5,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Skinja wrote:
    This. Fuck you, Arkham Origins.
  • SYS64738 9 Nov 2013 23:39:34 1,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mandatory tutorials. Seriously game, I'm not as thick as you may think. I'll work it out as I play along.
  • sega 9 Nov 2013 23:40:35 762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    All of it. Absolutely everything. It's the least imaginative industry ever and only the indie scene will save it. Hopefully.
  • shamblemonkee 9 Nov 2013 23:41:32 14,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    second screen bullshit
  • lovely2cu 9 Nov 2013 23:57:48 1,194 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    -Shoe-horned multiplayer.
    Skinja wrote:
    Yep, these.

With regards to the latter, that ties in to my OP complaint about milking games. A more blatant cash grab I have not seen than AO. Not the product of a new vision, or pushing the existing template forward, not even the original developer! Just a cynical attempt to wring yet more water out of the sponge.

I don't care whether they eventually patch AO to full working order, I'll never buy it, if only to at least vote with my wallet and say down with this sort of thing!
  • alexm 10 Nov 2013 00:02:21 247 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    3. Emphasis on shooting in every game (Resident Evil and Tomb Raider gone down the shitter as a result)
    Better not be talking about RE4 :)

Edited by alexm at 00:02:36 10-11-2013
  • lovely2cu 10 Nov 2013 00:07:12 1,194 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    huh_what wrote:
    sega wrote:
    All of it. Absolutely everything. It's the least imaginative industry ever and only the indie scene will save it. Hopefully.
    This.

It's why i'm turning into (ugh) a only PC gamer. There's a lot of innovative stuff happening there and most releases are a lot cheaper meaning i don't feel too cheated when a game turns out to be a direct clone of "Generic Cover Shooter 3".

Console games really are just re-skins of stuff that i've played numerous times already. The next gen machines don't interest me even slightly because it's all the same old shite but a bit shinier.

Watch as people who fucking hate CoD get ramped up as fuck for Ghosts because they are getting it because there's fuck all else out at launch for the XB1/PS4!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To be fair...XBLA and PSN are increasingly good sources for more diverse and alternative games. That will only increase this gen as a) the digital download market continues to mature and b) the indie scene gains prominence

alexm wrote:
    Better not be talking about RE4 :)
    Well...I am actually. It's what started the series in its current direction. But at least it was still RE at heart, 5 and 6 were utter abominations, two of the best/worst examples of the Gears of Duty-fication of too many modern action games.
  • bobdebob 10 Nov 2013 00:10:09 549 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    huh_what wrote:
    This.

It's why i'm turning into (ugh) a only PC gamer. There's a lot of innovative stuff happening there and most releases are a lot cheaper meaning i don't feel too cheated when a game turns out to be a direct clone of "Generic Cover Shooter 3".

Console games really are just re-skins of stuff that i've played numerous times already. The next gen machines don't interest me even slightly because it's all the same old shite but a bit shinier.

Watch as people who fucking hate CoD get ramped up as fuck for Ghosts because they are getting it because there's fuck all else out at launch for the XB1/PS4!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know, quite a few indie games are just reskinned and revamped retro games.

Edited by bobdebob at 00:10:38 10-11-2013
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous