• matrim83 20 Aug 2012 14:05:39 5,587 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Classy. Real classy.

Valar morghulis.

• Salaman 20 Aug 2012 14:19:11 18,832 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was a poor interview anyway. The only thing I liked about it is that I now learned there's a Mount Diablo and that's where the name came from.
  • Dirtbox 20 Aug 2012 14:22:02 77,453 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They're not the QA grunts either.

Here's the pertinent part of the interview.

IncGamers: You are very well known in the world of ARPGs, and I am going to ask you, Diablo 3 is probably the most anticipated PC title in 10 years. Whatís your opinion on the final product?

David Brevik: Honestly, I think that they did a lot of the things the best they could, it was a very different game than I would have created, the team and personalities, the people, the talent and all the design philosophies of the people that worked on it in Irvine, we called them Blizzard South, those people have their own style and the their own way they like to design. It was very, very different from the Blizzard North.

So I think that when Blizzard South took over the development of Diablo 3 it was inevitable that they were going to create an experience that was in the Diablo theme but concentrated more towards the things that they liked to experience. Including more story and things like that.

When Blizzard North shut down they lost a ton of experience with why the Action RPG works and what about it works. Thatís really difficult to recover from. They didnít have the experience of people that knew it well. This is why you do things with random levels for example, and so when you lose that experience you are going to create a very different experience in the end than we would have created.

IncGamers: Do you think they bought the wrong people in? As we understand, Jay Wilson, for example, his background was RTS. From our point of view it looked like they misunderstood what kept people playing, The type of loot drops, which has been a big issues. One of the other issues is they have not listened to their community, and they have not anlaysed what makes up that addictive Diablo experience. What are your thoughts on that?

David Brevik: Well, the loot system. They made some decisions with the loot system that were very different than the way that we did it in Diablo 2 and I think that obviously the community has been upset with some of the decisions they made. Having all of your powers work off your main weapon and things like that, to having blues that are more powerful than yellows. Eventually the auction house and how that worked, even something as simple as when you equip an item and itís bound to your character permanently would have totally changed the dynamic of the game.

It seems odd that they have not really responded in a quick fashion to some of these things. I think they are very well aware of the problems at this point and are trying to fix some of this stuff. Itís a shame that they had to learn some of these painful lessons

IncGamers: As you created Diablo, how do you feel about it? Do you feel a little let down that the legacy has kind of been mashed up?

David Brevik: I have very mixed emotions about it (laughs). On one hand I am sad that people havenít enjoyed Diablo because itís a love, a passion, and its obvious people still have a giant love and passion for Diablo and they are speaking out about it because they have such love for it. That makes me feel great.

I am sad because people are outraged and, you know, some of the decision they have made are not the decisions I would make and there have been changes in philosophy and that hasnít gone over very well. I think in that way I am a little sad.

I am also a little happy, which I hate to say, it shows that the people that were involved in Diablo really did matter, and so I am happy that it has come to light that how talented that group was and how unique and special that group was. I am hoping that, as this happens very often in the industry, you see it with Call of Duty and things like that , when the people leave the game changes and it shows how critical people are in this industry.

IncGamers: One of the questions the Gazillion guys asked me to ask you was, where did the name Diablo come from?

David Brevik: I thought of the game when I was in high school and I lived in the east part of San Francisco in a town called Danville and I loved at the base of Mount Diablo and thatís where the name comes from. Once I found out what the mountain name was, I thought that was awesome, I didnít speak Spanish, so I thought I wanted to use that as a title for a nemesis in a videogame. Itís simply from where I lived.

IncGamers: Well thanks a lot David, youíve brought a lot of pleasure to millions of people over the years and hopefully youíll continue to do so.
    I don't think he said one single thing that was out of order, it's all plain fact that no one at this point can disagree on, unless they're the most undiscerning of casual gamer.

Edited by Dirtbox at 14:28:46 20-08-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Arrr9 21 Aug 2012 11:12:15 401 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    1.0.4 patch due out this evening - yay ! Though Diablo now seems to have turned from a game into a complaint / moan generator.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/official-patch-1-0-4-notes
  • Salaman 21 Aug 2012 11:13:59 18,832 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that's seemed to have gotten them some attention. :-)
    Forbes article
  • matrim83 21 Aug 2012 11:35:43 5,587 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    More drama?

Stolen from GAF -

Valar morghulis.

• hypoBla5t 21 Aug 2012 11:39:24 1,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, I guess this puts me in the minority but that looks like a good patch to me. Viable scaling minions for WD is a big win, looks like the death knell for zombears VQ build though :(

I actually like the idea of the new paragon system too, and with the new legendaries and higher drop rates I *might* just get some decent drops of my own.

Yes, the game isn't what it could have or should have been, but I don't think people should just hate on it for the sake of it. In its own right it's not that bad is it?
  • shamblemonkee 21 Aug 2012 11:50:25 14,252 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Patch is a baby step in the right direction but they really need to follow it up with some more significant changes to some of the core systems.

Some of the skills and runes are still hardly worth considering, just buffing damage is quite a lazy way of trying to 'equalise skills' and seems to epitomise some the bland thinking.

still very little reason to use familiars as a DH for example.

Instead they need to be playming more on trading combinations of damage and utility, (i still think they should bring back damage types) adding in consumable buffs, consumable enchants, etc.

Adding some of those fancy procs from legendaries to rares

I'll be going ack to try the chanes out but i'm really hoping this is like the bread for the sandwhich and we're still to get the filling.
  • Arrr9 21 Aug 2012 11:51:11 401 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seems like I'm in the minority ( or the less vocal majority maybe ) but I'm looking forward to the patch too. At least they've not scaled down zombears as it's my main character build and switching in a new skill takes a little getting used to after having used one for so long. At least this will hopefully lead to some different builds.

The new paragon sysetm does sound really good and at least there's more a sense of progression rather than just logging in, finding nothing of much use and leaving the game with less money due to repair costs.

It's not the game I was expecting really but after I got my head around the fact that it's not, I'm having a great time playing it, it's all I'm playing at the moment really.
  • Psychotext 21 Aug 2012 11:54:59 53,759 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Patch seems to be basically shite for Wizards. Nothing there that makes me want to change my spec.
  • shamblemonkee 21 Aug 2012 12:13:24 14,252 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this known issue seems a bit mental?

Casting a channeled skill from your hot bar by clicking and holding down the skill with your mouse pointer results in a network disconnect.
  • Psychotext 21 Aug 2012 13:37:24 53,759 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Impressive.
  • Phattso Moderator 21 Aug 2012 14:40:45 13,185 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In truth though, that's just to weed out people playing it who click the skills rather than having their left hand make a claw over Q,1,2,3 and 4. And the universe is better off without their kind.

I'm happy with the rebalancing of elite packs in the next patch. The standard dudes are piss easy, and then certain affix combos are just undefeatable for me. Nice that they won't recover health after you die, too - means that it does at least open up the option to whittle them down.

I'm stuck halfway through Act II on Inferno with my Monk. I can make progress, but it's slow and painful. In contrast, I can now blitz through Act I with my eyes shut. Spent a couple of hours today farming in the desperate hope that something decent would drop so I could play the AH roulette, but sadly nothing did.

Still had fun though. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 Aug 2012 14:40:51 35,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice, thought the patch was still a few weeks away, really.
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 Aug 2012 14:42:34 35,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I take it you're still in a different time zone, Phattso? I am still stuck at the end of act 2. Fuckin' hate Belial, you need manual skills that I don't have. I need to overpower with stats. :p
  • shamblemonkee 21 Aug 2012 14:56:25 14,252 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still in Lacuni Warrior hell on act ii.
  • hypoBla5t 21 Aug 2012 15:18:28 1,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha, can't believe we're all in the same place, I'm about half way through act 2 as well. Hopefully should be be able to push on a bit post 1.0.4.
  • Phattso Moderator 21 Aug 2012 16:09:43 13,185 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I take it you're still in a different time zone, Phattso? I am still stuck at the end of act 2. Fuckin' hate Belial, you need manual skills that I don't have. I need to overpower with stats. :p
    Yeah, I'm six hours ahead of you. Depending on affixes, I can have a really easy time in Act II or a real ballache. Really looking forward to seeing if the patch eases that somewhat - or at least rewards the pain with some better gear. :)
  • hypoBla5t 22 Aug 2012 07:07:11 1,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was under the impression this'd be updated by now but it seems they're doing it now instead and it'll be done by 2pm.
  • hypoBla5t 22 Aug 2012 12:54:39 1,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ignore my last post, it's been up since 10.30 at least. Was just too busy playing to post.

AH is greatly improved to start with and blues and yellows are dropping all over the shop, which is making me very rich.

For me, elites are definitely easier now in Act 2 and I'm up to Zoltun Kulle with only a couple of silly deaths.

For WDs it looks like minion builds are viable for at least Act 2, so I'm cruising with my undead posse again. Good times.

Edited by hypoBla5t at 12:55:33 22-08-2012
  • shamblemonkee 22 Aug 2012 13:11:27 14,252 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    good. should have been this way from launch. it was obvious from earlier difficulties that minions were stupidly weak, unviable.
  • Psychotext 22 Aug 2012 13:14:01 53,759 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't fucking believe they don't have the proper item compare tooltips in the AH. How utterly ridiculous.

So basically if I want to be absolutely sure an item is an upgrade I have to use a site like d3up to check the figures. SMH.
  • Mekanik 22 Aug 2012 17:11:29 3,422 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would agree with the WD findings. Only on nightmare myself but minions seem to be a LOT less prone to deaths than before. I do like my small horde of minions running along with me and this has made it better.

No longer are my doggies being 1 shot by stuff \o/
  • spamdangled 22 Aug 2012 17:22:48 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seems a very small patch considering the extent of the changes and additions?

Just patched in <10 seconds

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• hypoBla5t 22 Aug 2012 17:28:00 1,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A few tweaks go a long way I guess.

Act 3 Inferno is pretty tough btw. Just the sheer amount of enemies slows you down and the elites are hard bastards.

Back to gearing up then. Just gonna start running act 2 for loadsa dollar.
  • spamdangled 22 Aug 2012 17:29:48 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is all the new loot still scheduled for 1.0.5 alongside pvp?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Arrr9 22 Aug 2012 19:20:38 401 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The only thing that's putting me off getting my witchdoctor pet build back is the fact that they chase after treasure goblins before you've even had a chance to spot them, but apart from that, the patch seems pretty good.
  • Psychotext 22 Aug 2012 20:07:09 53,759 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't say I'm particularly won over by the changes. They're improvements, no doubt, but they're common sense stuff that should have already been there... they don't fundamentally change the game.
  • Page

of 242 First / Last