The Stanley Parable

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • philreeduk 19 Oct 2013 19:43:55 257 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seen there wasn't a topic for this awesome game/experience/whatever the hell it is. If you haven't picked it up yet i suggest you do. Has anyone else been playing it?

I think I have found most of the endings, my favourite by far was the Minecraft Portal one!
  • DFawkes 19 Oct 2013 19:54:52 22,063 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anyone hasn't played the demo or the mod, please do. Don't learn anything about it, read any reviews or try to find out anything. Go in blind. It's better that way. It's a fantastic experience :)

Not played the new version yet, but I'll probably crack soon.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Ged42 19 Oct 2013 20:12:43 7,642 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My goodness, is it 4:30? I'm supposed to be having a back sack and crack!

Lol great game. :D
  • Fake_Blood 19 Oct 2013 20:16:41 3,834 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    360 pad supported?
  • philreeduk 19 Oct 2013 20:19:59 257 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Fake_Blood Yup that is how i am playing it
  • Fake_Blood 20 Oct 2013 17:48:28 3,834 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I kept doing the opposite of what the game told me to until it said dude wtf do you want from me? Really like it.
  • andytheadequate 20 Oct 2013 17:50:54 7,957 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I really enjoyed the demo as well, one bit really made me giggle (the number 8 game) .

Will definitely look to pick this up at some point
  • spamdangled 20 Oct 2013 17:59:49 27,197 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I seem to be halfway through The Confusion Ending at the moment. It's had me in fits of laughter a few times already. Well worth the purchase!

How many endings are there?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Metalfish 20 Oct 2013 18:56:07 8,690 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's loads. At least 2 of which are ludicrously obscure, and at one I can think of that's so annoying I can't imagine anyone wanting to attempt it.

Hints: The jump key doesn't work, but the crouch button does and this can help you leave the 2nd room in an unexpected manner if you manage to climb on something.

Also: It's possible to back out of one of the doors just as it's about to close.

Also also: some doors can only be opened once you've been through an area before.
  • monkehhh 26 Oct 2013 17:15:07 3,129 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Excellent game, just had a couple of hours with it and came to many different endings. Full of laughs too :)
  • Gunzberg 26 Oct 2013 17:31:51 929 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is great but I fear at 10 Euros overpriced since you just repeat the same environments to get different endings

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• monkehhh 27 Oct 2013 00:25:16 3,129 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I totally loved it, a fair bit changes as you go through different approaches and restarts. I'm sure it'll be cheaper soon enough, such is the curse of Steam :)
  • Mr-Brett 27 Oct 2013 00:42:05 12,676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    It is great but I fear at 10 Euros overpriced since you just repeat the same environments to get different endings
    That's a very reductive summary, it's no wonder it doesn't seem like good value, you're ignoring most of the content :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• waggy79 27 Oct 2013 06:56:40 793 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Minecraft/Portal route made me burst out laughing! :D
  • Phattso Moderator 27 Oct 2013 08:24:03 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There are screens throughout with Awaiting input written on them and pressing each one fills a progress bar. I just finished that ending, and it was so true to me and what I've become conditioned to do in games that the reward was worth the 8 quid I spent on the game.

Really excellent experience, and complaining about the cost and citing asset reuse is deliciously ironic. I think. Maybe. :)
  • TarickStonefire 9 Jan 2014 16:31:33 2,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thinking of getting this to pass a couple of hours this afternoon - I'm going to be using a Mac with a 'magic trackpad', not a mouse. That doesn't lend itself well to FPS-style mouse-and-keyboard controls - I know it's not an FPS but it says 'controller support' so I was wondering what the control system is like for a trackpad?

I know *nothing* other than that it's a bit of a commentary on the illusion of choice in games, so I'm not expecting much of a 'game' Please don't tell me anything else! :)

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Mr_Sleep 9 Jan 2014 17:19:11 16,264 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    philreeduk wrote:
    Seen there wasn't a topic for this awesome game/experience/whatever the hell it is. If you haven't picked it up yet i suggest you do. Has anyone else been playing it?

I think I have found most of the endings, my favourite by far was the Minecraft Portal one!
    Yeah, that was brilliant.

You are a factory of sadness.

• huh_what 9 Jan 2014 17:26:15 660 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Thinking of getting this to pass a couple of hours this afternoon - I'm going to be using a Mac with a 'magic trackpad', not a mouse. That doesn't lend itself well to FPS-style mouse-and-keyboard controls - I know it's not an FPS but it says 'controller support' so I was wondering what the control system is like for a trackpad?

I know *nothing* other than that it's a bit of a commentary on the illusion of choice in games, so I'm not expecting much of a 'game' Please don't tell me anything else! :)
    You can "finish" it in less than ten minutes and just look up the rest of the endings on Youtube.

I not sure what to think about it really. It's a Choose Your Own Adventure book in game form but i just don't know if it's worth what they are looking for it.

I played until i got two of the endings, realized i didn't give a shit after that and uninstalled it.

Edited by huh_what at 17:26:34 09-01-2014

Edited by huh_what at 17:26:50 09-01-2014
  • Metalfish 9 Jan 2014 17:36:15 8,690 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As your internet doctor, I'm detecting a sense of humour failure, and we were unable to locate your heart.
  • RightBean 4 Feb 2014 02:58:02 603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I thought it was alright, I think it is a bit overrated. The charm of the narrator is a lot to do with its appeal, but really, you play it and think that you are going to get something really cool and inspiring and different eventually, but it sort of doesn't happen. It's a bit like ABC's hit TV show, 'Lost' in that regard.

edit: changed my mind, I really liked it

Edited by RightBean at 00:01:00 08-02-2014
  • TarickStonefire 4 Feb 2014 13:38:52 2,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I went ahead and got it and played it a couple of times, in the process getting several of the endings including the 'followed all the instructions and escaped' ending, but missing out on some of the slightly obtuse endings like 'go into the boss's office but immediately back out just before the door shuts and lots of other doors open' (yes, I went and read the wiki after I seemingly ran out of endings to find).

My overall impression was that it was a very clever, fascinating and amusing statement on the whole 'you can play it any way you like' culture of games these days - the reality being that you can only play it any way you like so long as the developer anticipated you playing it like that and incorporated some feedback to doing so into the game. Very well done, but maaaaaaybe not quite worth the full tenner I paid, as I spent less time on it than I do seeing a movie. But hey, not the end of the world.

I liked the museum the most :)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:40:38 04-02-2014

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next