Mentalgate Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:45:36
    kalel wrote:
    meme wrote:
    (THEY'RE STIGMATISING PEOPLE CALLED ANTHONY)
    Again, you're better than this...
    That was a joke.

As per my first comment in the thread, these things are pretty harmless and I agree the outrage is a problem. But that doesn't mean they aren't symptomatic of a wider issue. Once we have a healthier attitude towards mental health, things like this will suddenly seem very dated.
    Yeah, but if you go down to the nth degree you could probably find that almost everything is symptomatic of a wider issue. This conversation could be symptomatic of the wider issues. You don't fix that wider issue by examining the incidental details.

And yeah, things in the future will appear dated when values change. I think that's pretty much a given. It's very easy to be a bit superior in hindsight--lobotomy isn't a cure for epilepsy in modern day, but we're happy to chow down on pill regimes to manage depression, which also may be seen just as archaic in ten, twenty, thirty years time.
  • Deckard1 22 Oct 2013 14:45:42 29,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Would I say Halloween was exploitative? No. Its a film about a crazy killer who happens to escape from a mental hospital at the start. At no point did I feel the message of Halloween was that all people in a mental hospital are crazed killers.

Again, serial killers exist, and a lot of them are in mental hospitals. Making films about them is not exploitative, and in no way stigmatises everyone in a mental hospital imo.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:46:46
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Would I say Halloween was exploitative? No. Its a film about a crazy killer who happens to escape from a mental hospital at the start. At no point did I feel the message of Halloween was that all people in a mental hospital are crazed killers.

Again, serial killers exist, and a lot of them are in mental hospitals. Making films about them is not exploitative, and in no way stigmatises everyone in a mental hospital imo.
    Do you think the depiction of a mental hospital and mental illness in general in Halloween is a balanced and realistic representation?
  • Gl3n Moderator 22 Oct 2013 14:47:57 5,849 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Thorpe Park thing is reflecting a sea change in attitudes towards mental health, and for that i'm quite pleased that it's in the news provoking discussion.
  • Deckard1 22 Oct 2013 14:48:00 29,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't remember the start to be honest. Was there even any scenes in the hospital? I thought he'd already escaped at the start.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:48:04
    hehe, tbf, didn't the hospital in Halloween resemble a safari park, with added sirens and shit.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 14:48:28 22-10-2013
  • Popzeus 22 Oct 2013 14:49:02 8,410 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    whatfruit wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    There's been a real shift in the tone of war movies also, from the seventies boyzone adventure that WW2 was portrayed as.

Sort of relevant.
    I think you meant "a boys own" rather than Boyzone although this would work for saving private ryan.

"Whatever I said, Whatever I did, I didn't mean it, I just want you back for good"
    That was Take That.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Popzeus 22 Oct 2013 14:49:02 8,410 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    whatfruit wrote:
    There's been a real shift in the tone of war movies also, from the seventies boyzone adventure that WW2 was portrayed as.

Sort of relevant.
    I think you meant "a boys own" rather than Boyzone although this would work for saving private ryan.

"Whatever I said, Whatever I did, I didn't mean it, I just want you back for good"
    That was Take That.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• imamazed 22 Oct 2013 14:50:39 5,900 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm not smug. I'm just intolerant of people that think they can win an argument through a combination of poor reading comprehension and a quick link to wiki.

Ok, that was quite smug.
    That's all that really matters, isn't it?
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:50:47
    meme wrote:
    Yeah, but if you go down to the nth degree you could probably find that almost everything is symptomatic of a wider issue. This conversation could be symptomatic of the wider issues. You don't fix that wider issue by examining the incidental details.
    Well, maybe you do. Perhaps these things change in the wider scheme through a combination of little things like this changing and evolving over time.

And yeah, things in the future will appear dated when values change. I think that's pretty much a given. It's very easy to be a bit superior in hindsight--lobotomy isn't a cure for epilepsy in modern day, but we're happy to chow down on pill regimes to manage depression, which also may be seen just as archaic in ten, twenty, thirty years time.
    I don't really follow you here. What does archaic treatment have to do with demonising attitudes?
  • kinky_mong 22 Oct 2013 14:50:54 10,726 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Care to explain how?
    You could just read my posts.
    There's that winning smug attitude. Don't go changing!
    I'm not smug. I'm just intolerant of people that think they can win an argument through a combination of poor reading comprehension and a quick link to wiki.

Ok, that was quite smug.
    Well your original post claimed films like Silence of The Lambs are dangerous because they associate mental health problems with serial killers when it's not true. I merely pointed out a few examples where that is true.

I don't think everyone with mental health problems is a potential serial killer because that would be stupid. And I also credit most people with being able to differentiate between a few extreme examples adapted for entertainment, and that of mental health problems in the population as a whole. From your posts it seems you don't.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• whatfruit 22 Oct 2013 14:51:03 1,638 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    whatfruit wrote:

Sort of relevant.

That was Take That.
    The chinaman is not the issue here.

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:51:31
    imamazed wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Ok, that was quite smug.
    That's all that really matters, isn't it?
    Seriously, I'm just trying to have a discussion here. It's others that are trying to score points.
  • whatfruit 22 Oct 2013 14:55:17 1,638 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quote]

quote]

This conversation is sympomatic of idiots on twitter.

Before they would have vented their outrage to a friend who would have calmly remonstarted with them that they were being petty and moronic. But now they can project their uninformed opinion to other idiots, who in turn validate their idiotic musings until they pass, in the half twilight of knowledge as maybe being rational.

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:58:03
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Well your original post claimed films like Silence of The Lambs are dangerous because they associate mental health problems with serial killers when it's not true. I merely pointed out a few examples where that is true.
    No, I didn't say it isn't true. I said it's a problematic link to make, and I went on to be quite clear that's the exploitative nature of a horror film using mental health issues to effectively create a demon that is bad.

Look, horror films put "mental health patient" in a similar category to vampires and zombies. That is not ok, and is clearly symptomatic of a deeper societal issue that we don't really understand and yes, fear people with mental health problems.
  • kinky_mong 22 Oct 2013 14:58:23 10,726 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Okay, I see your point. I don't necessarily agree with mental health being akin to mythical beasts in horror movies though (at least in the better ones where they at least try to explore the link in a bit more depth).

Edited by kinky_mong at 15:03:16 22-10-2013

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 15:02:17
    kalel wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Well, maybe you do. Perhaps these things change in the wider scheme through a combination of little things like this changing and evolving over time.
    Yeah, but do things change and evolve over time due to the whims of society, or do the whims of society change and evolve over time to adapt to the...err..things? Are people less tolerant of perceived slights in modern society because the perceived slights are becoming more apparent and more widespread or because society is becoming less tolerant? Chicken and egg, I guess.

Plus, with this specific issue, outrage fosters outrage fosters a reaction, whether positive or negative (and usually both). I could probably argue quite strongly that they themselves are doing more harm to the stigma than the Thorpe Park thing. If they're going to take outrage with every slight they perceive, won't we start handling them with kid gloves? Isn't there a solid argument to make that they could be perceived as being very fragile and sensitive, and that that could be a wider association with mental health?

I don't really follow you here. What does archaic treatment have to do with demonising attitudes?
    To be honest, I'm having difficulty explaining what I mean. I had an example that asked whether the movie Alien would be demonising if aliens actually came and visited and they turned out to be perfectly peaceful and happy things, but it sounded ridiculous.
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 15:08:04 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Since we are kind of drifting in that direction, im always amazed by how archaic pre-80's movies look with everyone smoking like chimneys.

That often dates a film as much as the effects or the hairstyles.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 15:09:38
    90s stuff looks hilarious nowadays. Watching the first season of Friends is like watching the beginning of 2001.
  • imamazed 22 Oct 2013 15:10:26 5,900 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Since we are kind of drifting in that direction, im always amazed by how archaic pre-80's movies look with everyone smoking like chimneys.

That often dates a film as much as the effects or the hairstyles.
    It goes more recent than that. Was watching Gavin and Stacey the other day and they're all lighting up in pubs and clubs. Seems so odd.
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 15:11:42 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I distinctly remember thinking in the mid-90s that nothing current would ever look as dated as stuff from the 80s.

I now eat my own fists whenever a photo of me as a teenager is wheeled out.

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 15:13:46
    It comes around. Stuff from the 80s is now starting to have a certain stylistic sheen to it, much as stuff from the 70s and 60s does.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 15:15:06
    punk aesthetic is pretty cool
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 15:16:04 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its true but, even now, its hard to see how curtains are going to make a comeback.

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 15:20:02
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its true but, even now, its hard to see how curtains are going to make a comeback.
    As soon as a member of One Direction appears with them, they'll suddenly be inescapable.
  • glaeken 22 Oct 2013 15:21:17 11,238 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TNG is looking really old now. Particular for some reason now they show it in HD. Not sure what has happened there but it makes it look even older. Possibly seeing things in HD that were never meant to be seen in HD I guess. What really sticks out on TNG is the colour pallet they use is so different. It's almost like one of those 50's sci-fi films where the colours are all overly bold.
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Oct 2013 15:25:09 17,293 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I always wonder why it took me over fifteen years to switch to a side parting. The way my hair falls was begging for it but no, I had to stick with a fucking middle parting curtains type affair for years. Shameful, I blame the nineties.

You are a factory of sadness.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Oct 2013 15:29:07 39,362 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    TNG is looking really old now. Particular for some reason now they show it in HD. Not sure what has happened there but it makes it look even older. Possibly seeing things in HD that were never meant to be seen in HD I guess. What really sticks out on TNG is the colour pallet they use is so different. It's almost like one of those 50's sci-fi films where the colours are all overly bold.
    I'm in the middle of TNG series one at the moment. That fashion is brilliant. Check out this one from the episode I watched last night:

Phwoaaar.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 15:32:39 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I always wonder why it took me over fifteen years to switch to a side parting. The way my hair falls was begging for it but no, I had to stick with a fucking middle parting curtains type affair for years. Shameful, I blame the nineties.
    To give myself a partial bit of credit, I only had curtains while I was growing out my long, I want to be Kurt Cobain, grunge hair.

• nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 15:33:59 61,056 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its the pullovers that get me in TNG. Every time they have some downtime, they throw on a space-age Bill Cosby number.

Edited by nickthegun at 15:34:07 22-10-2013

• Page

of 7 First / Last