The Gran Turismo 4 (GT4) Thread

• Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 2 February 2005 09:44:39
    There isn't any "official" GT4 thread around here so it's about time. Especially since according to the thoroughly updated granturismoworld, the game is "out to own from 9th March". Pretty good site IMO with nice footage and stills from different tracks.

There's been rumours on GTPlanet that the 9th is for preorders only, with 11th set as the street date. This is, fortunately for us, not true!
  • Truthsayer 2 Feb 2005 09:51:48 9 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    NO online
    NO AI
    NO damage
    NO Ferraris

:G
  • pjmaybe 2 Feb 2005 09:53:11 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So what happened to the 25th Feb release date then?

Gits...!

Would've been nice to have spent my entire birthday playing it!

Peej
  • ruttyboy 2 Feb 2005 10:00:39 7,949 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Truthsayer wrote:
    NO online
    NO AI
    NO damage
    NO Ferraris

Errr, yeah. Thanks for that... I think.

Anyhow, it's deffo the 9th so I have an interesting time in March. Plat GT4 for one day, go to Sweden for 3 days then have a week off work to play GT4 \o/
  • Deleted user 2 February 2005 10:27:51
    It's good it's out the 9th, meaning I'll get a chance to play a bit before coming to meet you guys! :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Feb 2005 10:36:24 35,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Truthsayer wrote:
    NO online
    NO AI
    NO damage
    NO Ferraris

Just like Tetris then. :p

Aaaaaanyway, thanks for the link, nice site! Did Sony ever make a decent GT3 site, I can't remember anything of that kind.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2005 20:28:01
    The game is out the 22nd of February in the US, the press release has been published on the official site. 2 weeks before EU, that's a surprise.
  • Errol 2 Feb 2005 23:13:31 12,457 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Truthsayer wrote:
    NO online
    NO AI
    NO damage
    NO Ferraris

erm ... who cares ?
  • Errol 2 Feb 2005 23:16:50 12,457 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You need a reason ?
  • Deleted user 3 February 2005 08:54:53
    So the US/NA gets the game before we do, however there's been no word about the extra cars, 2 player garage mode, A-spec/B-spec toggle and the other slight improvements and bug fixes that have been confirmed for the EU version. Seems like we're getting the best version after all.

There's also rumours that they're taking advantage of the extra time per frame you get when converting NTSC to PAL, meaning the visuals could be slightly better over here. \o/
  • pjmaybe 3 Feb 2005 09:10:45 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmmm well they need to appease us in SOME way for its lateness...

TBH I was overly sceptical about this game but having gone back for a few sessions on Prologue on the rally track and that little Citta del Aria track, I can't wait to actually get the full game and get thrashing those times...

Peej
  • Deleted user 3 February 2005 09:29:15
    frod wrote:
    Errol wrote:
    You need a reason ?
    Online was my reason until they took it out, personally.

They'll make you buy a PS3 for that... and GT5.

/got no facts, but I still think it's a certainty...
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Feb 2005 09:45:28 44,503 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmmm.

Even though I like racers. Even though I like collecting up the cars and getting better times. Even though I SHOULD like GT it's just never grabbed me. I tried GT2, but ended up keeping it mainly because I bought the GT2 bleem!cast boot CD. I was after GT3 for a while and when I picked up my first PS2 I saw a copy for £10; ended up having to take it back because some twat had used it so grout his bathroom (as is the want of the chav purchaser you always get with second-hand PS2) and some races just failed to load and crashed the game but didn't shed a tear over it and haven't pursued it since. I'd quite like a copy of Concept but that's mainly just because it has concept cars and I like the idea of driving cars around which'll never leave the motor show.

But... no online? Damage? That 'AI'?

Quite happy with PGR2 to be honest.

I'd like to like it but it never clicked.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2005 10:08:47
    Retroid wrote:I'd like to like it but it never clicked.
    If it hasn't clicked before, it won't click this time. Probably in the future, when the things you want will be implemented.

In my book, Nürburgring alone is worth the money.
  • YoYo 3 Feb 2005 11:11:18 246 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought GT2 and thought it was just totally shit. When GT3 came out I din;t look at it at all, even though racing games are my main genre of game.

I did eventually buy GT3 when it was out platiumn and it blew me away, I was amazed by it.

I can't wait for GT4.

With regards to PGR2 i've got that and its ok but doesn't do 'it' for me.

• Deleted user 9 February 2005 11:47:17
    Drifting video of a S2000 at the Autumn Ring, driven with the Logitech DFP in 900 degrees mode. *JAW ON FLOOR*

video, unpack with WinRAR or similar.
  • Milk 9 Feb 2005 11:53:38 2,253 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice. Very nice.

valli i presume that this came from the gtplanet forums, is ther any other cool stuff there? I was having a look yesterday but I kinda gave up, I'm just assuming you know where to look better that I do...
  • Deleted user 9 February 2005 12:42:45
    Milk, you're right. That forum is kind of a mess but there are quite a few gems there to be found. Like this video! :)

I can't remember looking forward to playing a game as much as GT4. One more month to go! *sweating bullets*
  • Deleted user 18 February 2005 08:40:00
    A jurno guy over at gtplanet has got his hands on a PAL near-gold build of the game and here's his in-depth update with PAL specific changes.

The most important is the ability to change between A-spec to B-spec when pitting and quite a few graphical improvements. It's great to see that Polyphony has done more than simply translating the bloody thing.

A worrying cloud about the auto save that's always on but it's probably only in this beta build. Besides, it's only a problem if you're cheap, by the end of the game you'll have lots and lots of pesetas to spend.

Hottest rumour around (which I personally think it's too good to be true) is that the 24h endurance races feature day to night transitions.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2005 09:08:32
    As I said, too good to be true! :) Nürburgring is streamed constantly from the disc so theoretically they should be able to load a different set of textures as time passes. But that's one problem solved out of 25.000!
  • Milk 18 Feb 2005 09:22:27 2,253 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That would be very cool.

valli I'm also looking forward to getting my hands gt4 more than any other game for a while. I know that it is probably not going to be the 'perfect game' but i'm still really looking forward to it.

/thinks of driving the 'ring' in an M5.

/drools...
  • GrayFox 18 Feb 2005 10:07:05 1,698 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    valli wrote:
    There isn't any "official" GT4 thread around here so it's about time. Especially since according to the thoroughly updated granturismoworld, the game is "out to own from 9th March". Pretty good site IMO with nice footage and stills from different tracks.

There's been rumours on GTPlanet that the 9th is for preorders only, with 11th set as the street date. This is, fortunately for us, not true!

Guys, read the part where he's bitching 'bout save system in GT4. Haha, Polyphony finally found a way to stop cheating (almost).

GT is unique, other games may have better AI, crashes and other tidbits, but they will never have THAT feeling.
    Sadly I wont be getting it, have almost mortal trauma connected to gt :\.
  • Deleted user 21 February 2005 22:42:40
    Nice article at 1up. I liked this part... he's right, you know? :)

[code]
    You come out of the bend pretty slow. You can probably come out faster than I did, but taking a right-hander that tight at anything more than 50 or 60 takes a particular brand of lunatic, especially when driving a $452,000 ride. As you straighten up, you realize where you are and know you can really see what this thing can do. This is a car that can do 90 in second, remember, so flooring the thing evokes a verbal response along the lines of "holyf***ings***thisissof***ingquick." I defy you to try it and not make some kind of exclamation out loud. In a straight line the SLR feels like it has warp engines, and the feeling of real power is unlike anything I've seen in a racing game before. Burnout 3 and Need for Speed do a good job of scaring you with speed, but GT4 is still the only car sim to date that's done a convincing job of putting you behind a 5.4 liter V8.
    [/code]
  • renzo 23 Feb 2005 10:45:28 3,195 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    IGN's review.

A rather predictable '9.5' score from them. And he spends 4 pages telling you things most of which you'll already know.

I found Gamespot's take on it to be a better read. They at least give you a little more detail about the game, and their scores tend to be a bit more reliable than IGN's.

The thing that both reviewers moaned about, and this is definitely the most disappointing aspect of the game for me, is the AI. They've had more than enough time to sort it out and they haven't.

/sigh
  • Deleted user 23 February 2005 21:55:54
    The average ratio so far at Gamerankings is 92%, a much better figure IMO.

The NA people seem generally happy with it, even though they got a straight conversion of the Japanese game: that interlace-caused screen jitter is still there and the autosave function is annoying to some people. They got the option to use garage cars in 2player arcade mode, something that's been much lamentated in the Jp. version.

One new feature that I really like is the ability to create a list of tracks when hosting multiplayer games. It will be sweet to compile a mini-tournament for online games, say starting with 2-3 laps at classic sub-2min tracks and ending with one lap at the Green Hell! :)
  • pjmaybe 24 Feb 2005 10:46:11 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So definitely not out tomorrow then?

Shit, what am I going to do on my day off!!!

Peej
  • Deleted user 24 February 2005 11:10:36
    any standard usb flash drive or usb card reader will work as long as it's 32mb or larger.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2005 11:11:57
    Akeldama, can we expect a first impressions by tonight/tomorrow then? Please keep an eye on that screen jittering thing, it's supposed to be all over the NTSC version. Not in game, but during the rolling starts and replays. You can't miss it, it's the interlace fields going berserk just like in GT3 when you choose an option and the menu background FMV is fading out.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2005 12:30:43
    Just make sure you don't get robbed from the pub, a couple of thieving chavs would be more than delighted to find a copy of Gee Tee Four in your pocket, innit?
  • oneiros 24 Feb 2005 12:51:31 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Harry; any chance you could make a note of how big the savegame is? I'd like to know before GT4 arrives whether I need another card or not. Thx.
  • Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous