Your memories of 9/11

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • spamdangled 1 Sep 2013 01:20:46 27,441 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thread title is self-explanatory. Where were you? How did you find out about it?

I was working in Jersey Airport at the time. We had just finished refuelling a 737 and had gone back to the staff room to enjoy our regular bacon butties. Sitting round the table and watching the news on this shit old CRT tv, everything was interrupted by the news that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center, with live footage. As we watched and listened, we saw the second plane fly in and crash into the second tower.

I don't think any of us said anything. We were too stunned.

The next few hours spent working, greeting new planes landing, we described what we saw. Cabin crew on the planes kept assuming we were making a sick joke. I saw the towers collapsing, and people falling out of the windows (I didn't realise at the time they were desperately throwing themselves out of the towers). I will never forget it.

Weirdest day of my life.

So... where were you on 9/11? When did you first hear about it?

Edited by darkmorgado at 01:22:43 01-09-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• localnotail 1 Sep 2013 01:24:50 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *cough*

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• localnotail 1 Sep 2013 01:25:59 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Same actual title. Even showed up in the search.

edit: And you posted in it.

(Sorry)

Edited by localnotail at 01:29:38 01-09-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• SparkyMarky81 1 Sep 2013 01:27:26 567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd been off picking magic mushrooms at Virginia water lake and stopped off for a beer at the pub in egham when my mates dad texted about the 1st plane crashing. Landlord put the tv on and we watched the rest of the days events unfold in the pub. Fucking crazy day.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2013 01:35:33
    You used to fill the fuel on aircraft?
  • DodgyPast 1 Sep 2013 02:32:49 8,537 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    I'd been off picking magic mushrooms at Virginia water lake and stopped off for a beer at the pub in egham when my mates dad texted about the 1st plane crashing. Landlord put the tv on and we watched the rest of the days events unfold in the pub. Fucking crazy day.
    RHUL student?
  • Futaba 1 Sep 2013 03:08:23 3,538 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No joke, second lesson at my secondary school was technology that day and we were watching a video on how the World Trade Centre was constructed.

Was heading to a friend's after school and was told about what happened by my mum. I also remember getting annoyed about the crash being shown repeatedly on most channels for the next couple of days.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• FuzzyDuck 1 Sep 2013 03:21:55 4,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    9/11 was actually my very first day at Uni.

Left my house (and was randomly watching Sky News for about an hour before) about 20 minutes before it happened.

Registration at Uni was uneventful; sat in a sports hall with tonnes of other newbies, slowly edging our way around the hall to have our students IDs issued, take peronsonl details like next of kin, etc. Got talking to the guy sitting next to me.

When we were registered, he offered me a lift into town as his Dad was picking him up. We hopped in the car and his little brother spun round and says "two big planes hit two big buildings and there's gonna be a war". New matey says "ignore him, he's a complete shite talker", then we heard the announcement on the radio, jaws hit the floor.

I was meeting mates at a coffee shop which is usually busy. I walked in, it was empty. Asked what was up with that - all the regular customers got their coffee ;to go' and were in fact all lined up a few doors up at an electronics shop watching it all on the news on the five TVs in the window. The shop owner went a bit mad when someone asked him to put on the subtitles!

Mad day.
  • Oh-Bollox 1 Sep 2013 03:25:13 5,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got up, chortled, made a cup of tea, got on with things.
  • Fake_Blood 1 Sep 2013 03:27:01 4,446 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't know what the wtc was, so I imagined a cessna hitting some kind of expo-hall thing.
  • Spectral 1 Sep 2013 06:00:54 5,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was in hospital waiting to have an operation. Saw the initial news break on the small TV on the ward and an hour or so later the TV packed in.
  • EMarkM 1 Sep 2013 07:29:39 3,430 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I work in the financial industry, albeit in the UK, and my wife 'phoned me at the office to tell me the news. She was concerned UK companies would also be targeted.

It was weird hearing her describe how, on the news broadcast, everyone thought the footage of the second plane was a repeat of the first (presumed accidental) crash from a different angle, only for people to realise that it was a second impact.

First thoughts seemed to be, still working on it being an accident, some sort of general system failure affecting all aircraft.
  • wayneh 1 Sep 2013 07:31:50 2,394 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was in the Navy on a training base doing a course, I'd got the afternoon off and turned on the TV just as the news broke.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• elstoof 1 Sep 2013 07:50:06 8,306 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At work where they insisted on Radio 1 all day every day. Chris fucking Moyles broke the news to me. What a cunt.
  • MrE26 1 Sep 2013 08:03:15 1,980 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a week off work & was at home when a mate texted me to tell me to put the news on, a plane had crashed into the WTC. Didn't actually occur to me at the time how serious it was, i'd assumed it was a light aircraft. Turned the news on just as the 2nd plane hit & just watched in complete disbelief as the whole thing unfolded live on tv.
  • altitude2k 1 Sep 2013 08:08:00 4,877 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think most people waved it off as a silly accident at first.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2013 08:10:21
    Got home from school and dad was watching it on the news. Looked like a cool new film at first.
  • danathjo 1 Sep 2013 08:17:15 7,520 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was still in Australia and missed it all, had just put a vhs of space jam in and we were watching r Kelly's 'I believe I can fly' music video before the movie started, then a mate turned up and told us what was happening. put the news on and all I could see was smoke, we then proceeded to get stoned watching the replays for hours.
  • KRadiation 1 Sep 2013 08:20:36 305 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got threatened with death by an American and a Canadian guy on a wrestling forum because I once said that I didn't remember what I was doing on the 11th of September

Well I also said that I hate threads where its all woe is me and people try to out do each other in their takes of how shocked THEY were compared to others.

But still... Apparently if I ever say I don't remember that day while im in America... Ill be killed.

The silly thing now is, that's my first thought now if someone asks about 11/9 and the real memory is even further from my mind

Edited by KRadiation at 08:22:37 01-09-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Sep 2013 08:21:46 15,394 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flying back from Greece with my wife. We were in a Taverna watching (the towers on fire) it on the Greek news.

I will always remember the subtitles stating in English "America under attack"

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• superdelphinus 1 Sep 2013 08:38:29 8,126 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched a bit of it on tv and then spent much of the day having embarrassingly juvenile left-wing student style conversations with friends for much of the rest of the day (I was a student at the time though to be fair).

The sort of scale and tragedy of it all didn't really hit me until I watched newsnight in the evening. 9/11 recollections seemed to be asked for every year even 12 years on, even in this country which has never struck me as particularly british
  • Deleted user 1 September 2013 08:40:57
    Was at uni in the morning and got home to pop the telly on. I'd gotten into a horrible habit of watching neighbours whilst having my lunch. I was very non plussed to find the news on instead and was about to turn off before realising what was being shown. Think the second plane had literally just hit. Spent the rest of the day painting with the telly on in the background. Painted some weird shit that day.

Can still remember working in the us for the summer a few years later and visiting new york. We got lost and ended up at ground zero. All the nearby shops were empty save for photos all over the walls that people had taken at the time. Scary stuff.
  • Megapocalypse 1 Sep 2013 08:43:35 5,515 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was in A-Level geography at the time it happened and new nothing about it until I got home. A mate on msn messenger had changed his title to "Terrorists 1 - America 0". I asked him what he meant and he told me to turn on the TV. I think it was just before the first tower came down.
  • Nitrous 1 Sep 2013 08:45:35 483 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was in high school when it happened, I remember coming home to find out the news. Later I was in GAME with my parents paying 400 for a PS2 with a copy of Gran Turismo 3 as it was my birthday.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2013 08:49:37
    I was living and working in Cardiff but on that day I was outsourced to Bristol. Having only caught fleeting bits of news over the day on the radio the train back that afternoon felt oddly quiet and sombre. Only when I got home and turned on my TV did the impact of what happened hit home.

It's a shame that something so horrific will forever be my "moon landing" moment.
  • Mike1980 1 Sep 2013 08:57:38 393 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was doing some work placement the job centre sent me to. I was trained as a forklift driver but the company put me on some machine welding thing I wasn't trained on. Anyways...

I had been there 6 months when I was told to show this new guy how the machine worked. I swear he looked like the devil, Like this but less horn. It was a loud working place so none of us knew about it. I got home at about 5ish with headphones on, looked at the TV my father was watching seeing, what I thought was a building scheduled for demolition. He says "It's coming down now" I ask why is it being demolished then the news shows whats happened and I just sit and watch it for about 30 minutes.

I run to my mates house and we just sit and watch. We've never seen anything as crazy as that before.

The next day I got a copy of the Sun and read about it. It had a double page thing about the daft training videos in Microsoft Flight where some overly-happy American pilot says how fun it is to crash into building. Practically blaming the guy for it. The one and only time I've bought a copy of it.
  • altitude2k 1 Sep 2013 09:11:09 4,877 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Slightly off topic, but twice I have visited NYC since 2001, most recently this past June. At that point they had opened up the ground zero memorial garden with the waterfalls over the footprint of each tower.

Incredibly humbling in so many respects. The size of the waterfalls (therefore the size of the towers) themselves were astonishing. The huge number of names printed on the plaques on the outside of each (including one I saw that had the name of a lady "and her unborn child" ), the odd name having flowers arranged in the cutouts. The silence from everyone wouldn't have been so jarring had you not come off a street in New York.

All this, under the shadow of the brand new World Trade Center One building, was emotionally intense enough as it was. But then I noticed a girl who couldn't have been many years older than the event, hugging who I presume was her mum next to the name plaques, both in tears, being comforted by what looked like grandparents. I'm glad I had sunglasses to hand at that point.

Edited by altitude2k at 09:12:19 01-09-2013
  • beastmaster 1 Sep 2013 09:21:57 11,984 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got woken up by a mate of mine who rang to ask me if I'd been evacuated.

I was living and working in London at the time and he thought I was in Canary Wharf that day. Anyhow, I'd rang in sick earlier that morning and was fast asleep and knew nothing of it till he rang.

Spent the next 3 days getting better and just having CNN on constantly.

Edited by beastmaster at 09:22:16 01-09-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous