Nintendo 2DS Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• redcrayon 28 Aug 2013 20:09:17 4,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @richardiox
    This isn't supposed to be a replacement for the 3DSXL though, it's really addressing a smaller markets needs at a large profit, whereas a tablet-less WiiU might well be envisioned in a different light.
  • SirScratchalot 28 Aug 2013 20:10:13 7,872 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Am I the only one who thinks that looks really comfortable to hold? PSPs and DS:es gave me a lot of handcramps.
  • beastmaster 28 Aug 2013 20:12:08 11,183 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do not understand. Can't you play a 3DS in 2D by moving the 3D slider down or something?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Fake_Blood 28 Aug 2013 20:13:10 4,074 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Has anyone seen a picture of the back of this thing?
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Aug 2013 20:21:18 10,287 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I do not understand. Can't you play a 3DS in 2D by moving the 3D slider down or something?
    Yes but a 2D screen will be much cheaper allowing this to sell cheap to kids.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• redcrayon 28 Aug 2013 20:22:54 4,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Yeah, but parents are worried about even the option for 3D not being great for the developing eyes of their 7-year-old offspring, who are about to pour 300 hours into pokeymons. While perhaps, if they are worried about that, they might also have panicked during media stories about little Timmy maxing out the credit card on Candy Crush on their phone.

That's who it's aimed at. It might not be a huge market but the cheapo solid design must be profitable, even at, say, 30 less than a standard one.

Edited by redcrayon at 20:23:52 28-08-2013
  • redcrayon 28 Aug 2013 20:28:13 4,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SirScratchalot

I don't understand the wedge shape either. Tablet cases with an option for that work because you prop it up on a table and just use a touch interface or watch something. I don't see why d-pads, sticks and buttons that need to have the hand gripping the thing are helped by such a form factor, outside of the minority of DS/3DS games that only use stylus controls.

Edited by redcrayon at 20:28:36 28-08-2013
  • TheMayorOfJugs 28 Aug 2013 20:38:21 3,068 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You're all analysing and criticising the shape but they'll have obviously tested it thoroughly for comfort and ease of use and practicality and all that jazz on children and adults. Why must you jump to conclusions before you've held/used the machine? LEAVE NINTENDO ALONE! JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE! :'(
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Aug 2013 20:41:57 10,287 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    @SirScratchalot

I don't understand the wedge shape either. Tablet cases with an option for that work because you prop it up on a table and just use a touch interface or watch something. I don't see why d-pads, sticks and buttons that need to have the hand gripping the thing are helped by such a form factor, outside of the minority of DS/3DS games that only use stylus controls.
    I bet it's more comfy than the normal 3DS :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• spazmo 28 Aug 2013 20:42:35 2,756 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    Bloody awful. If there was any justice in the world the Vita would destroy this.
  • redcrayon 28 Aug 2013 20:49:53 4,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear
    Heh. :-)

Actually, in the comparison photos, I suppose it doesn't look quite as unwieldy as I first thought- I'm used to the XL whereas this is more like a flattened standard 3DS.
  • mal 28 Aug 2013 20:52:25 22,339 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Has anyone seen a picture of the back of this thing?
    Yeah, the launch video shows plenty of lifestyle shots of people playing it, where you can see most of the back of it. It's got a weird stripe where the hinge ought to be, emphasising the fact it doesn't fold there. Very odd.

It looks pretty comfortable to hold to me. The one thing I don't get is that they seem to be aiming this at kids, and the kid in the video couldn't reach the triggers with his fingers. Doubly odd.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Daryoon 28 Aug 2013 21:05:02 4,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Reaction to this is leaving me baffled. It's clearly aimed at kids, so why are people acting so hostile? Has the gamer community really degenerated to such a self-entitled mess that it can't comprehend something as simple as an alternative demographic? #sillyquestion
  • Deleted user 28 August 2013 21:18:47
    This thing will fly off the shelves and once again show "r3al gam3r5" that they don't mean shit financially.
  • ronuds 28 Aug 2013 21:28:51 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Has the gamer community really degenerated to such a self-entitled mess that it can't comprehend something as simple as an alternative demographic? #sillyquestion
    That happened years ago.
  • CharlieStCloud 28 Aug 2013 21:50:02 5,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just arrived home from a long day at work to find this thing scattered all over the web.

... Nintendo have finally lost the plot.

All that space and they still couldn't add a second circle pad?!

: O

Makes a nice door wedge, I suppose.
  • RyanDS 28 Aug 2013 21:51:23 9,062 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

I bet it's more comfy than the normal 3DS :-)
    That's not exactly hard. The 3ds is the worst designed handheld ever made. I have never heard a single person not complain about it's shape, sharp edges and small buttons.
  • Kay 28 Aug 2013 21:54:10 17,761 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Just arrived home from a long day at work to find this thing scattered all over the web.

Seriously, why would they include the complications of an extra analogue stick + buttons (an add-on that's compatible with about three games) to a budget kid-friendly version of the handheld?
  • CharlieStCloud 28 Aug 2013 22:00:02 5,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, this is for kids?

... I didn't know that part! Who said that?

Makes me laugh though; Nintendo targeting kids? Almost everything they make is for kids!
  • mal 28 Aug 2013 22:06:17 22,339 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reggie's example in the US launch was a family of four. Saving a few wonga on each unit for the kids is double the savings.

Fucking cheeky they're not including the cover/bag in the cost though, given it still encourages you to take it out and about with you.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• DFawkes 28 Aug 2013 22:08:20 22,602 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They usually go for families, but 3D causes infants eyes to pop out like that scene in Total Recall, so this is tweaked so if you're a parent that doesn't want their kids to look like an alarmed cartoon character, here you go.

Do you get a charger this time? I'd assume you do given it's not really the sort of thing you'd "upgrade" to.

Edited by DFawkes at 22:09:20 28-08-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• ronuds 28 Aug 2013 22:11:06 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Too many kids look like that these days!
  • kingcrowbar 28 Aug 2013 22:57:33 911 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're a parent that is in any way responsible you use the parental controls and disable the 3D.

If this version is aimed at kids, how are you meant to walk your Nintendog?

Also anything using the both buttons and touch screen looks like it's going to be awfully uncomfortable especially for little hands trying to stretch between both.

And STILL they stick the headphone socket on the bottom even though there is now about 50% more stable area to stick a 3.5mm socket around the top screen.
  • Raiko101 29 Aug 2013 00:16:28 6,073 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    At first I thought it was a joke. It looks so strange. But now i've had time to let it sink in, I think it's a rather clever idea. It's clearly not for your regular gamer, but it nicely bridges the gap to the younger gaming audience. Quite often you see small children playing on their parents iPads. This seems to be aimed at that audience. It's cheaply built, looks more resistant to drops and removes the 3D element that might worry some parents. Technically, it's apparently just one screen, rather than two, which explains the lack of hinges, but also suggests the top screen shouldn't be easily scratched if a child tries using the stylus on the top screen.

I can actually see this selling rather well, if properly marketed. Even if the name confuses some.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 29 August 2013 00:55:59
    @Raiko101 I don't think the name confuses anyone. Not yet anyway. It's pretty clear. It plays 2DS games. You can't find any 2DS games in the shops though. Only DS games and 3DS games. But when the customers find out it plays DS games the preowned market will do well. It doesn't play 3DS games in 3D so the preowned market will do well there too. Unless people are going to pay full price for a games features that their handheld doesn't support.
  • Deleted user 29 August 2013 00:59:11
    Kay wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Seriously, why would they include the complications of an extra analogue stick + buttons (an add-on that's compatible with about three games) to a budget kid-friendly version of the handheld?
    Because some games use it and...

There is a stupid amount of extra space and...

It would have cost them fuck all and...

The add on won't work with it.
  • Raiko101 29 Aug 2013 01:12:29 6,073 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How many is some though? About 8 retail games and a couple of eShop games? Is it really worth it if this thing is meant to be cutting manufacturing costs?

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Articulate-Troll 29 Aug 2013 02:16:55 3,104 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I kind of understand why they would make a cheaper console without the 3D (although I still think it devalues the company in the long run) but that doesn't explain the horrific wedge design. I actually don't like the clamshell design on the 3DS - it needlessly inflates the width of the console when shut - but if you insist on having 2 screens then there really is no other way to design it.

The length of the thing means it's actually going to be less portable then the other models of the 3DS and far more vulnerable to damage. Considering it's primarily aimed at children it seems like a huge miscalculation on Nintendo's part.
  • Deleted user 29 August 2013 02:42:11
    Again, considering a lot of kids tote around full-sized iPads, I don't think the size really that big a problem.
  • Daryoon 29 Aug 2013 02:53:54 4,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And I doubt a 3DS will fit in a five-year-old's pocket, clamshell design or not. And let's not forget such a design could be a disaster when combined with said five-year-old: one over-enthusiastic opening and...

I mean, when I was five years old...

• Page

of 6 First / Last