Europa Universalis IV Page 2

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• andytheadequate 17 Jan 2014 14:12:01 7,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is there a way to gain more diplomats or merchants?
  • teamHAM 17 Jan 2014 14:49:39 2,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @hiddenranbir

I wouldn't know mate, as I've never played CK2 or even any other EU game until EUIV. But I find it great, especially compared to other strategy games. I did play a bit of Hearts of Iron though. Having checked my steam library today I seem to have a copy of CK2 and EUIII even though I never bought them. I might give them go maybe!

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• teamHAM 17 Jan 2014 14:52:18 2,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @andytheadequate

Go to the Ideas screen where you can see all the idea groups. Some of them give additional merchants and diplomats. I can't remember which ones offhand but Diplomatic Ideas and Trade Ideas are good places to start.

• Cosquae 17 Jan 2014 15:57:34 1,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Economic ideas too for merchants. I think there's a one off building you can build pretty early on that gives you +1 diplomats too.
  • hiddenranbir 17 Jan 2014 17:09:17 5,744 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @teamHAM Well since you are finding 4 great, maybe you'll like EU3, or find it too confusing. 4 did bring about a big change between it.

But you should try CK2, it is very roleplay and, imo, crafts more interesting stories because it includes people, not just nations.

At the great thing, Play a CK2 game, see europe at its end, convert it to make that your starting EU4 game!
  • Garfy 17 Jan 2014 20:55:18 578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having completely exhausted CK2 after my epic conquer the world game I'm looking to move over to EU4.

Any advice for good places to get started?
  • hiddenranbir 17 Jan 2014 21:38:21 5,744 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Convert your CK2 game and then play whatever country options you get!
  • teamHAM 17 Jan 2014 21:56:34 2,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Today I started playing as Ming and also Japan. If you are bored of the usual European fare then I highly recommend these nations. They both have a different spin on it; Ming has a faction system in its Celestial Empire government and Japan is obviously in the feudal period so you can choose a Daimyo or the Shogunate.

• hiddenranbir 17 Jan 2014 22:29:57 5,744 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Garfy wrote:
    Having completely exhausted CK2 after my epic conquer the world game I'm looking to move over to EU4.

Actually can you share that CK2 file, I'd be interested in playing in that for EU4 too.
  • Garfy 18 Jan 2014 12:43:31 578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    Garfy wrote:

Actually can you share that CK2 file, I'd be interested in playing in that for EU4 too.
    Sure, let me know how it goes.

Mongol Empire

Edit: All DLC except for the new one SoA, don't know if that makes any difference.

Edited by Garfy at 13:11:35 18-01-2014
  • hiddenranbir 18 Jan 2014 14:37:33 5,744 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So this is how it starts:
    http://picpaste.com/eu4_map_KHA_1444_11_11_1-InX36eny.png

The Mongol Khanate

No western tech nations existing. (western culture/religion still there, like English Catholic)

But most of Europe is Tengri.

I am very unsure which country to actually play. Could try native american, with new DLC. Play Mongols and see how unified it can stay. Or play another nation and watch the AI try to handle it!
  • andytheadequate 18 Jan 2014 14:44:54 7,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can't seem to invade anywhere without the whole world declaring war on me. Any tips? Milan is wiping out most of northern Italy but I can't take them on as they have so many strong allies. I have Savoy and Burgundy, how can I get them to assist me?
  • Khanivor 18 Jan 2014 14:51:40 39,891 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So this thread had me download this and CK2. I decided to start with CK2.

WTF?

I have no idea what I am even supposed to be trying to do, let alone how to do it.
  • Garfy 18 Jan 2014 14:53:38 578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    So this is how it starts:
    http://picpaste.com/eu4_map_KHA_1444_11_11_1-InX36eny.png
    Wow, with the horde in the east they already rule more than I thought.

Once I'm used to EU4 I really must finish conquering the whole world. :)
  • FWB 18 Jan 2014 14:53:52 41,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Paradox games are for real wo/men.
  • Garfy 18 Jan 2014 15:05:09 578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:

WTF?

I have no idea what I am even supposed to be trying to do, let alone how to do it.
    Don't worry, it takes a while to get into the swing of things but when it does it's great.

Best to start your first game in 1066 as a Duke or Petty King in Ireland and try to become King of Ireland.

Many refer to it as Tutorial Island because you won't be bothered by anyone powerful for a long time, just take your time and figure things out.

And when you have questions (there will be many) you can ask us ancient sages in the CK2 thread ;)

Edited by Garfy at 15:05:34 18-01-2014
  • andytheadequate 18 Jan 2014 15:15:00 7,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:

WTF?

EU IV is much easier to get into. CK2 took hours of watching YouTube tutorials until I had any idea what to do

Edited by andytheadequate at 15:15:26 18-01-2014
  • Khanivor 18 Jan 2014 15:18:46 39,891 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is the gameplay/ui for the two somewhat similair? As in, could I transplant what I learned from playing EU to CK?

I like the idea of starting with Ireland. I tried one of the suggested characters, Byzantine, and that led to my WTF.

I'll give the paddies a go when I get home.
  • andytheadequate 18 Jan 2014 15:58:29 7,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fairly similar, but CK2 is about dynasties rather than nations, so plays quite differently
  • Cosquae 18 Jan 2014 16:24:50 1,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If I were to summarize the difference, in CK2 you play the people who run the country. In EU3/4, you play the country who runs the people.
  • hiddenranbir 19 Jan 2014 12:13:52 5,744 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm gonna play as the Ming, so I can observe the Mongol Khanate and try to resist it, should they try to conquer me.

This is going to be really interesting, all non-western tech nations have severe penalties, which is really a disadvantage to playing against them, but because they aren't around anymore, the penalties cancel each other out!
  • Garfy 19 Jan 2014 12:59:31 578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can try to resist but the horde shall prevail!
  • andytheadequate 20 Jan 2014 01:26:55 7,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I seem to have a problem playing with Venice. I've enjoyed created a trade empire, annexed a few vassals and even managed to take Rome by force, but the threat of the Ottoman empire is just too much. I've slowly made the Hungarians friendlier, but not enough to create an alliance, and there isn't anyone else who can really assist me with them. I could probably hold onto my home territories by moving my army and fleet there, but as soon as my trade is cut off then I am buggered. The other major problem is that a lot of my territories are very isolated (Corfu, Naxos, Crete, Roma and the one in Crotia), so they can pretty much pick me off at will..

Think I will try playing as another nation, maybe Aragon.
  • andytheadequate 24 Jan 2014 12:25:08 7,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Started a game as Castille now. How do I invade overseas using my fleet? I know how to board units and land them, but it only seems to work if I either already control the territory or if I have fleet basing rights at their harbour, which obviously I don't have against nations I'm attacking.

Surely there is s way to land an army without controlling the port, otherwise islands would be impossible to take...
  • WrongShui 24 Jan 2014 12:37:23 6,574 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a picture of the troops on the right top corner of your fleet. Click that to select the troops then right click them on the place you want them to land on.
  • andytheadequate 24 Jan 2014 12:50:27 7,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers, will give that a go.

When can you start colonising new land?
  • WrongShui 24 Jan 2014 13:00:18 6,574 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You need colonists, from national ideas and explorers/conquistadors to go through the Terra incognita.
  • Cosquae 24 Jan 2014 18:01:58 1,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Colonial range will also be an issue at first as Castile, can usually get to the edge of Brazil first before you will reach the Caribbean. Unless of course you're a bastard and take over Portugal's colonial outposts in a war.
  • teamHAM 25 Jan 2014 12:01:17 2,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, if you want a pure colonization game the best option is Portugal imo. Obviously you have the Azores, Madeira, Canary Islands and Cape Verde in the area, and IIRC Portugal starts with one of these as a colony straight away in 1444.

Obviously as Castille you could ally Portugal and get fleet basing rights (which is how I first colonized with England), but the easiest way is probably just to be Portugal. Being on the periphery of Europe and in the ideal position to colonize means the only thing you have to do is ally Castille and you are golden.

• Cosquae 25 Jan 2014 13:21:37 1,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think at the 1444 start, Canaries belong to Castille. But yeah, the others (Madeira, Azores, Cape Verde) belong to Portugal. At the start be careful with fleet basing rights, they cost you money. I found Portugal a little trickier since financially you're struggling to make ends meet for quite a while and you can't completely neglect your land forces until the reconquista is finished and all of mainland Hispania is under friendly control.
  • Page

of 19 First / Last