Gone Home

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • neilka 15 Aug 2013 14:28:41 15,824 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bioshock 2 devs' 90s explore 'em up Gone Home is out later today on Steam and it looks very... MYSTERIOUS.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/232430

Oh and it has cards.

Edited by neilka at 14:29:05 15-08-2013
  • Mr-Brett 15 Aug 2013 15:49:39 12,746 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not just Bioshock 2 but also the rather good DLC Minerva's Den and long running podcast Idle Thumbs fame.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 15 August 2013 16:01:18
    This and stuff like Miasmata really have me pining for a PC that will actually play modern games :-(
  • BeMyHandheld 15 Aug 2013 16:38:26 1 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ooohh, been waiting for this. Been checking Steam the last couple of days but wasn't very succesful because I forgot the name of the game and the publisher (yeah, I know....). Got my attention because of the PAX thingy and knew it would come out somewhere around now.
    @Rhythm You must have an ancient machine, this game doesn't seem to have very taxing requirements.

Edited by BeMyHandheld at 16:39:06 15-08-2013
  • Pynchon 15 Aug 2013 18:55:49 114 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It's out NOW.
  • neilka 15 Aug 2013 19:05:40 15,824 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm, 6/10 from EG.
  • Pynchon 15 Aug 2013 19:07:40 114 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    5/5 from Giantbomb though, a 10 from the erratic Polygon, and RPS 'What I think' intro seems to inter they like it*

* I'm not reading any of the content of those reviews as I really want to play the game through first.

Edited by Pynchon at 19:09:10 15-08-2013
  • -cerberus- 15 Aug 2013 19:39:30 2,643 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bought it straight away. Got the DRM-free version from their official website but got a Steamkey as well, which I might give away because I don't use Steam...

And for the heathens, like me, who use a controller to play games on their PC: there's native Xbox 360 controller support.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Zappanale 15 Aug 2013 20:36:01 83 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished it- 95 mins from start to end. But there's still one small thing I need to do Unlock the safe in the basement, hints welcome.

Having read three reviews, I thing EG's is the one I agree with most; also, someone on as low an income as me spending 13 on a 90 minute game with no replay value was *not* the best idea. But I'm willing to forgive that.
  • RobAnybody 15 Aug 2013 20:58:36 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I pretty much hated it - 'dull' isn't the word for this over-rated POS.

Ah well, lesson learned - don't spend 15 quid on games that get rave reviews from most magazines, listen instead to those who bought the games.

Given a choice I wouldn't even pay 50p for this 'game'.
  • Arcturas 15 Aug 2013 21:07:57 123 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ^^ thanks for the heads up chaps, saved me a few quid!

Edited by Arcturas at 21:08:25 15-08-2013
  • BillMurray 15 Aug 2013 21:26:48 7,690 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Was just about to post the link for the GB quick look. Didn't even realise it was out.

Not watched yet or read any reviews but i'll still be getting the game
  • Zappanale 15 Aug 2013 21:33:58 83 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just in case anyone took from my post that it's a *bad* game, let me clarify: it's not, not really. It's a bit of an expensive game (put it this way: buying this game means cancelling my plans to go see Kick Ass 2 this weekend), but it is very much a game for people who are able to simply enjoy a games environment for what it is. There are no puzzles, as such- I don't count reading a map as a puzzle- but the house is on its first play creepy in just the right way.

But yeah, RPS, Giant bomb? really overplaying what they claim to be a great story. It's not a great story- it's just a *sad* story.
  • CharlieStCloud 15 Aug 2013 21:40:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hey guys, is this going to be released on any other platform by any chance?

... I don't actually have a computer at home anymore. Just an iPad, a PlayStation 3 and a TV.

I really like 'games' like these. The way Gone Home is being described is perfect for me, although I could easily see why others may well think it isn't particularly good.

I'll sulk if I cannot play this!
  • -cerberus- 15 Aug 2013 22:07:41 2,643 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pay close attention, lads. This game is stuffed with Bioshock references :) So... SPOILERS!

- a letter in the basement shows an owl that closely resembles the owl on Minerva's Den title screen
    - another letter in a drawer of a cupboard in the dining room contains the following sentence: "What are you waiting for, an engraved invitation?". Those exact words were spoken by Dr. Julie Langford in the original Bioshock when Jack brought back a sample of Rosa gallica in the Arcadia level.

There's a whole lot more, I'll write them down later. But by all means, share the ones you have found, just don't forget the spoiler tags!

Edited by -cerberus- at 22:26:04 15-08-2013

• -cerberus- 15 Aug 2013 23:02:15 2,643 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Zappanale wrote:
    Just finished it- 95 mins from start to end. But there's still one small thing I need to do Unlock the safe in the basement, hints welcome.
    Look on the floor of one of the secret doors when leaving the basement, I think it's the one that leads back to the Guest Room with all the cardboard boxes.

As for me, I can't seem to find the code to the file cabinet in Dad's Office?

• Tiger_Walts 15 Aug 2013 23:07:49 16,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is a little too pricey for what you get. If you think it's too much for the 90-120 mins it takes to play, then wait for a deal.

It is however, an excellent example of storytelling in an interactive environment. You arrive at the family home, expecting everyone to be there, but find it not just empty but seemingly abandoned. The premise alone gives you both the goal, find out what has happened to them, and the perfect excuse to employ the adventure gamer's strongest tactic, search the fuck out of everything.

Then, long before that can get old you start picking up the story threads, and your imagination begins racing to fill the blanks. Where do these threads lead? You see them branching off and you envisage the best and the worst of them.

The hooks are in, you have to see this through.

Edited by Tiger_Walts at 23:10:41 15-08-2013

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• monkehhh 15 Aug 2013 23:10:59 3,291 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Very intrigued, but it is too much for me. Bit annoying cos then you miss all the discussion and hype around release, but then you can just appreciate whatever it is for what it is.
  • Zappanale 15 Aug 2013 23:12:38 83 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @-cerberus- This one can be found in the library. On a bookshelf is a folder, when inspected, it flips open. The code is written on the inside of this file, along with a letter.
  • Whizzo 15 Aug 2013 23:14:00 43,060 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's certainly more of an interactive story than a game, can't say I'm unhappy after playing it though as I really enjoyed it.

The motorcycle manufacturer is quite a nice Easter egg for Idle Thumbs listeners.

-cerberus- wrote:
    Zappanale wrote:
    Look on the floor of one of the secret doors when leaving the basement, I think it's the one that leads back to the Guest Room with all the cardboard boxes.
    If you haven't pulled a handle you won't see it

As for me, I can't seem to find the code to the file cabinet in Dad's Office?
    It's in the library, keep looking

Edited by Whizzo at 23:14:33 15-08-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• -cerberus- 15 Aug 2013 23:26:59 2,643 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Zappanale wrote:
    @-cerberus- This one can be found in the library. On a bookshelf is a folder, when inspected, it flips open. The code is written on the inside of this file, along with a letter.
    Can't believe I've missed this. On top of that the code is another Bioshock reference:

- 0451 is the very first code used to open the first lock in the original Bioshock. Incidentally, 1540 was the very first code used for the first lock in the Bioshock 2's main story. 0451 was also used in Bioshock Infinite. Read all about it here

Edited by -cerberus- at 23:29:36 15-08-2013

• neilka 15 Aug 2013 23:35:28 15,824 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite enjoyed it, it took me 3 hours and I definitely didn't cry.

And now the first thing everyone probably looks for after they've finished the game: a screenshot of "the note" (a bit disappointing actually)
  • -cerberus- 15 Aug 2013 23:37:31 2,643 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @neilka Haha, yeah, was a bit annoyed that I couldn't finish reading :D

• mikew1985 15 Aug 2013 23:39:06 12,647 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zappanale wrote:

Having read three reviews, I thing EG's is the one I agree with most; also, someone on as low an income as me spending 13 on a 90 minute game with no replay value was *not* the best idea. But I'm willing to forgive that.
    There is a piece of paper on the floor underneat where the door to the secret entrance to Kaitlins new room is
  • mikew1985 15 Aug 2013 23:42:22 12,647 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A decent game, though I'm hesitant to call it that.

$20 does seem a bit much for it. At $10 I'd have absolutely no complaints but I did just play from start to finish and was sort of gripped the whole way. certainly gripped enough to want to get through the thing in one sitting anyway.
  • thedaveeyres 16 Aug 2013 00:53:26 10,809 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fantastically well written. It's not a game, but as long as you're aware of this, it's brilliantly done. If you enjoyed 'To The Moon' and if you, like me, were about 18 in 1994, I recommend it. Took about 2 hours with a break.

S+L \o/

Edited by thedaveeyres at 00:53:58 16-08-2013

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Deleted user 16 August 2013 01:05:23
    I'll wait until this is a couple of bucks in a Steam sale.

These non-games are a fun change of pace but they aren't worth 20 quid.
  • lb003g0676 16 Aug 2013 01:27:55 2,894 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can you guys tell me where to get the code for the locker?
  • Tiger_Walts 16 Aug 2013 02:05:37 16,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:

S+L \o/
    \o/

Also, best item to find in the game:

Sam's Sex Ed worksheet

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• kirinnokoshin 16 Aug 2013 08:36:07 62 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Downloaded last night, spent the best part of an hour with it. Won't pass judgement until I've finished, but so far am inclined to agree with the EG review.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous