Which phone should I buy? Page 40

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• Tonka 17 Jul 2017 12:59:53 26,250 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do get the Moto Z play. Super great value for money.
  • Darth_Flibble 30 Jul 2017 13:10:42 2,804 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty pissed off with Lenovo and the terrible support for security updates and android OS updates for the Moto G5, some countries got updates for March but that it. Won't get a Moto phone again

Also reading BLU android phones had spyware again built into the phone, it happened last year and and it was patched out
  • FWB 30 Jul 2017 13:12:18 53,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Don't get a oneplus 5, they have way too many problems. Shitty camera problems and the screen is on upside down.
    Well I like mine. Happy with it so far. Runs like lightening and decent battery.
  • JoeBlade 30 Jul 2017 14:42:56 4,086 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Pretty pissed off with Lenovo and the terrible support for security updates and android OS updates for the Moto G5, some countries got updates for March but that it.
    Huh? I got an OS update about a week ago on mine. And over here in Belgium things tend to be pretty backwards in that regard.
    Are you sure it's not something with your updates settings or a connectivity issue?

Also, lack of update frequency can be on Google's end more so than on the manufacturer's; see this article about a fairly recent known issue, for example. Switching brands wouldn't necessarily improve that much, in other words.
  • Darth_Flibble 30 Jul 2017 17:03:31 2,804 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Pretty pissed off with Lenovo and the terrible support for security updates and android OS updates for the Moto G5, some countries got updates for March but that it.
    Huh? I got an OS update about a week ago on mine. And over here in Belgium things tend to be pretty backwards in that regard.
    Are you sure it's not something with your updates settings or a connectivity issue?

Also, lack of update frequency can be on Google's end more so than on the manufacturer's; see this article about a fairly recent known issue, for example. Switching brands wouldn't necessarily improve that much, in other words.
    As I said before, some countries got some update but if you look on the Lenovo site its full of people saying they have not security updates (all from UK saying they have are stuck on 1st Jan Security update)

Nothing to do with Google, its Lenovo, as its almost stock android and Moto brand use to be well know for speedy updates. Fuck Lenovo
  • urban 30 Jul 2017 17:05:02 12,973 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FWB Likewise, don't listen to Dirtbox he hates everything. It's a great phone, very happy with mine.

Fast as fuck, camera's very good and you don't even have to think about the battery, lasts a day and a bit easily.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 30 Jul 2017 18:04:11 2,647 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I recently replaced my lost Galaxy S5 and after going through tbis thread and contemplating a few phones people had mentioned my desire for a switchable battery won and I went for an LG V20. Had to import it though so not available on contracts here. Seems a pretty nice phone from my play so far and as I was only looking at buy outright prices wasn't much more than most of the midrange phones I had looked at.

I hate how replacable batteries are pretty much restricted to the bottom end of the market these days. Also how quickly old 'flagships' get phased out as I initially looked for a new replacement for my S5 as I really didn't fancy preowned (from a shop that is)
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Aug 2017 01:16:27 2,393 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Looking at the Huawei P9 as my next phone, anyone have it? Thoughts?
  • geeza2020 4 Aug 2017 01:34:51 2,430 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not much help really but I've recently ordered a Huawei Honor 5c, my first phone from them, and the first Huawei phone I'll have ever seen 'in the wild'. Interested to see how the Chinese phones stack up. 2-4 weeks for it to be dispatched from Amazon though....
  • Dirtbox 4 Aug 2017 02:26:14 89,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    urban wrote:
    @FWB Likewise, don't listen to Dirtbox he hates everything. It's a great phone, very happy with mine.

Fast as fuck, camera's very good and you don't even have to think about the battery, lasts a day and a bit easily.
    Why would I hate it? I was one of the first people here to get a oneplus and have owned three of them. I'm just going from the subreddit where everyone is complaining about the 5 and MKBHD, Mr Mobile and Pocket Now's videos detailing why it's not exactly the best. Coming from the largest owner community and the three best content creators in the field I think the info is worth passing on.

Don't blame me for not even doing the most cursory research before buying your phone.

Edited by Dirtbox at 02:35:49 04-08-2017
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Aug 2017 02:42:12 2,393 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Looks like I may be able to snag the Galaxy A5 2017 instead, hmm...
  • minky-kong 4 Aug 2017 09:24:52 13,131 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    urban wrote:
    If it's anything like the 3 and 3T that won't last.
  • H1ggyLTD 9 Sep 2017 15:24:44 7,476 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just pre-orderd the Note 8 after years of Apple.

Scary stuff.
  • H1ggyLTD 9 Sep 2017 15:25:23 7,476 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hope it doesn't blow up in my face.
  • crashVoodoo 9 Sep 2017 16:20:31 5,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @H1ggyLTD there's a reason they've whacked a smaller battery in it.

Still, did you just fancy the change?
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Sep 2017 16:32:17 5,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just got the S8 the other day H1ggy, it's an incredible phone. I was going to go the other way as I've been using the iPad a lot lately, it would have been fairly easy to jump into that ecosystem. But decided against it this time. The freedom of Android is just too much of a draw. And the better internals. And the cost of a similar spec iPhone is ridiculous... I do quite like IOS on a functional level though.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 16:33:37 09-09-2017
  • H1ggyLTD 9 Sep 2017 16:33:35 7,476 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    @H1ggyLTD there's a reason they've whacked a smaller battery in it.

Still, did you just fancy the change?
    Two fellas i work with have made the change, and rave about theirs, so if i'm gonna try it now seems a good time.

Can always go back.
  • Malek86 20 Sep 2017 12:37:02 6,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I'm on the market for a new phone. Possibly below 250 euro, my main concerns are good camera and great battery life. If it can stay below 5.5", all the better.

I'm eyeing the Honor 6X, which is currently 200 euro for the 32/3GB model (and just 230 euro if I want the 64/4GB model), but the dual camera doesn't seem as good as it should. I could also go for something a little smaller.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:37:52 20-09-2017
  • imamazed 20 Sep 2017 16:13:03 6,307 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Small is so unpopular. I'm looking for a 4" phone and basically have a choice between the unreleased Xperia XZ1 compact or the iPhone SE. Not sold on either, but my current Moto g3 now needs charging 2.5 times a day...
  • sodpig 20 Sep 2017 16:23:57 9 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I've had a OnePlus 3 since launch and loved it. Battery life hasn't particularly degraded either.

However, my dream phone would probably be a top end Android in an iPhone 7-esque chassis. Unfortunately, top end phones all seem to be 5.5in+ these days. :(
  • Jono62 20 Sep 2017 16:31:53 18,207 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you David Cameron?
  • richardiox 20 Sep 2017 16:36:22 6,791 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    David Hameron
  • Zerobob 20 Sep 2017 16:52:41 1,938 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sodpig wrote:
    I've had a OnePlus 3 since launch and loved it. Battery life hasn't particularly degraded either.

However, my dream phone would probably be a top end Android in an iPhone 7-esque chassis. Unfortunately, top end phones all seem to be 5.5in+ these days. :(
    I've got a OnePlus 3T and I honestly don't want for any other phone. Dash charge is stupidly fast, it gives me at least 6 hours of screen on time, it never lags during heavy use, and the screen is big and bright. It's a 5.5in screen, but using my old Nexus 4 feels claustrophobic in comparison.

You might be able to pick up a cheap OnePlus 3 now. I'm not sure I'd recommend the OnePlus 5 though because of its weird issues and higher price.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 20 Sep 2017 18:38:00 986 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @Malek86 for a little more than your budget, you could get an iPhone se and those are getting good reviews at the moment. Can't say I like iPhones, but if you do, then it's small, has a good camera and one of the best battery lives for an iPhone.
  • reviewer 20 Sep 2017 18:44:12 4,629 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    sodpig wrote:

I'm confused why you would want that, the top end android phone might be 5.5+ but the phone themselves are smaller or the same.

Unless you love fat bezels.
  • macmurphy 20 Sep 2017 18:59:02 2,353 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got an iPhone SE. Really happy with it. Nice and quick, not huge, battery life is fine. Camera's good.

Id recommend it if you fancy an iPhone but don't like smuggling something ginockerpod in your pockets that makes it tough to sit down.

Only 32 gig or 128 is the slightly annoying thing; but 32 is fine for a reasonable music collection and a few Netflix downloads.
  • Malek86 20 Sep 2017 19:39:33 6,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a bit too invested in the Android ecosystem at this point to change.

The iPhone SE is also a bit too small. I suppose something around 5 inches would be good. Although, in the end, even 5.5 inches is fine as long as the bezel itself is not oversized.
  • reviewer 20 Sep 2017 20:53:30 4,629 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What about the Android ecosystem has tied you in? Other than a couple of apps and games I can't think of anything that isn't multiplatform when it's on android.

It's a bit bigger but the moto g5 plus is worth investigating.

Edited by reviewer at 20:56:06 20-09-2017
  • Bloobat 20 Sep 2017 21:16:52 909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Malek86 Take a look at the new Xperia XZ1 or XZ1 Compact
  • Malek86 20 Sep 2017 22:15:54 6,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @reviewer I've been on Android since the G1 days, I've got like a million apps at this point. Would hate to lose them, although admittedly it's not like I'm using most of them. Also well, I'm a sucker for the occasional Humble Mobile.

On a side note, I forgot that Cyber Monday will be coming up relatively soon. I don't expect much here, but it might be worth waiting to see if anything interesting comes up on sale.
  • Page

of 41 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.