Which phone should I buy?

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • twelveways 23 Jul 2013 05:20:55 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I currently have a Sony l18i which is a nice phone but does not have a lot of power (apps constantly ctd and it can take a long time to open stuff).

I'm looking for something in the 3-400 pound range, I guess that is mid to high range.

I like phones that feel solid and don't mind a bit of weight. I like Android but I have a win8 computer and like the idea of having a matching phone.

I don't play a lot of games but that's possibly because my phone can't handle the high end stuff, I do play Plague Inc and stuff like that.

A good camera is important to me as well as lots of storage. I also like my phone to be quite compact, not like the Samsung Galaxy Dom Joly things.

The phone that I have been considering is the Nokia Lumia 925 but I am also interested in the Nexus, however, I am not entirely sure what else is comparable out there.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
  • Folant 23 Jul 2013 05:27:56 1,170 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Nexus is a really nice phone, competitive specs and price, nice size, feels really nice in the hand naked, and the camera is not nearly as bad as some might say, but at only 16gb(minus OS) and no expandable options, might not be the best option unless you don't mind using cloud storage.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• oconnomiyaki 23 Jul 2013 06:14:44 245 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm known for a being a bit of a phone slut, and I'm currently on the Sony Xperia Z. I'm enjoying it a lot. Sony don't take a heavy-handed approach to customising Android, so it's a lot like stock in many ways. I appreciate the little touches that they have made, though. It's got expandable memory as well.

If you do go with Windows Phone, the Nokia 925 is pretty much the default option.
  • twelveways 23 Jul 2013 06:36:40 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    xperia Z sounds quite good but I'm not blown away by the design, the non-removable battery puts me off slightly as I travel quite a bit and like to have a backup battery in case I can't charge (I use my phone a lot for work).

Will add it to the 'maybe' list and see if I can get a hands on.
  • THFourteen 23 Jul 2013 08:33:54 33,428 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Samdung galaxy mini

eye phone
  • twelveways 23 Jul 2013 08:39:12 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't want an iPhone, I don't like the way they look or the OS. They are also expensive considering you can get more for less with different makes.

Will check out the Samsung one though.
  • Baihu1983 23 Jul 2013 08:44:27 3,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lumia 925 is a brilliant phone.
  • quadfather 23 Jul 2013 08:45:18 12,145 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's been said already, but if you use the cloud, the nexus is a very good phone. Sleek, fast, robust, comfortable. I find the camera is fine too.

I'm a bit of a spacker when it comes to phones, but the nexus was a breeze

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• twelveways 23 Jul 2013 08:47:34 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I think I am leaning heavily towards the Lumia.

Is the only difference between the 925 and the 1020 the camera?
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Jul 2013 12:00:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Is the only difference between the 925 and the 1020 the camera?
    Yes, more or less.

... albeit a fairly gaping difference though!

Pop into your local Carphone Warehouse or EE store to try out the phones before you buy.

If you'd like an Android phone, however, the Nexus 4, a shy over seven months on, is still (one of, if not) the best.

It might be worth waiting until the first of August for the Moto X phone; rumours are spiralling that it'll be customisable to your tastes and very competitively priced too.
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Jul 2013 12:06:44 39,457 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lumia something or Nexus.

If you like lots of apps Nexus, if you don't care Lumia.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Anthony_UK 23 Jul 2013 12:16:23 2,497 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love my Galaxy S3 but I'm getting won over by the 925 my girlfriend picked up over the weekend. Very slick and organised OS and the camera for certain shots especially kicks my galaxy to the floor. Having a dedicated two stage shutter is another big plus IMO though it is quite sensitive.

I don't use many apps or games either, but annoyingly I couldn't find a decent RSS reader on the store last night which is probably the only thing I'd miss moving from android. Overall though the 925 is a brilliant phone.
  • johnson81 23 Jul 2013 12:30:52 377 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had the S4 for about 2 months now, it's a brilliant phone but I'm underwhelmed by it. I think it's because coming from the S2, the phone is too similar. I'm starting to think I should have got the HTC One as that was the other phone everyone was telling me to buy at the time.

Plus the aluminum chassis is meant to be excellent. The other downside to the One is the fixed storage, no option for micro SD.
  • Wolves1877 23 Jul 2013 12:40:03 405 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Samsung S4, My GF has the HTC One & we both think the S4 is far superior although the build quality on the One is better.

• Baihu1983 23 Jul 2013 16:06:22 3,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @twelveways Think it also has more GB storage?
  • grey_matters 23 Jul 2013 16:33:37 3,756 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For something a bit different you could go with the Oppo Find 5. Good spec, decent reviews and pretty cheap (and they now have a european website/distribution centre).
  • Stranded87 23 Jul 2013 16:46:08 893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably Lumia 925 as others have said. I don't think it's the best phone around or even the best value but it's a good all round handset with a brilliant camera and it's in your price range. Though I don't think it has a removable battery.

If you can stretch your budget a bit and want lots of apps and customisation maybe consider a Galaxy S4, which also has a great camera and a removable battery. Or if you don't mind a slightly worse but still decent camera then go for the Nexus 4- which is the best value high end phone there is.

I wouldn't bother with the HTC One as one or two other people have suggested. It's a brilliant phone but imo the camera isn't up to much aside from having reasonable low light performance, so it's probably not a good fit for you.

Edited by Stranded87 at 16:50:26 23-07-2013
  • twelveways 24 Jul 2013 05:58:52 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for all the replies/advice, some useful stuff.

I have just been browsing the Windows app store and it is indeed very sparse (doesn't bother me on the pc as I have real apps to use), I can cope without a lot of the apps I use on Android (We Chat, Viber etc) but I need some kind of organisation stuff, on my Android device I use Google Calendar and Astrid Tasks a lot, what does Windows have to offer? I can't seem to find any decent calendar apps. I know Evernote is quite good and could replace Astrid.

I'm also really going to miss the excellent BBC app and the Gmail app :(

Edited by twelveways at 06:10:34 24-07-2013

Edited by twelveways at 06:11:21 24-07-2013
  • twelveways 24 Jul 2013 06:03:03 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Anthony_UK

FeedeRSS is an ok RSS reader.
  • Mageme 24 Jul 2013 09:29:12 2,016 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @twelveways I've found the move to WP quite refreshing. The majority of main apps you mention are there, WeChat, Viber, Whatsapp etc. There was a Gmail app but think it was pulled from the store about a month ago for some reason.

Calendar-wise, I just use the stock calendar, synced with outlook. To be honest, I don't use calendar functions avidly anyway, so it suits me fine. Probably Evernote would be your best bet.

If you're considering a WP, 925 is a good choice at the moment (I'm aiming for the 1020 as my next phone!).

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Roddles 24 Jul 2013 09:31:09 1,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
  • twelveways 24 Jul 2013 10:03:19 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Strange, I searched the store (on my Win8 laptop) and none of those apps came up, is there a differencebetween the store on phones and on computers?

I guess I could get around to setting up Outlook, seems a bit stupid to avoid MS products if I am getting a Windows phone....
  • Baihu1983 24 Jul 2013 10:28:05 3,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just looked on my Lumia and WeChat, Viber and Whatsapp all came up in search.
  • twelveways 24 Jul 2013 11:55:18 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do you have a Win8 computer to check on too? Maybe its my location (China)...
  • Stranded87 24 Jul 2013 12:02:29 893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @twelveways Just checked on my Windows 8 computer and they all come up. Are you checking the windows 8 app store or the windows phone app store? Viber comes up on both for me but the others only come up on windows phone store (which is presumably the one you want anyway).

This is the site I used:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store

Though that's the UK version, no idea if it differs in China.
  • twelveways 24 Jul 2013 12:19:22 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, I am confused now.

I have only been using the marketplace app that comes installed with Win8, didn't know there were other sources.

I think that has put my mind at rest, probably gonna buy the Lumia this weekend :)

Thanks!

Edited by twelveways at 12:19:50 24-07-2013
  • Vice.Destroyer 26 Jul 2013 22:23:54 5,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Anthony_UK Try this for an RSS reader. Perfectly adequate, fast and cheap.
  • Vice.Destroyer 26 Jul 2013 22:30:11 5,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Wow, I am confused now.

I have only been using the marketplace app that comes installed with Win8, didn't know there were other sources.

I think that has put my mind at rest, probably gonna buy the Lumia this weekend :)

Thanks!
    Enjoy the Lumia. And as you have discovered, there is a difference between the apps that are available on Windows 8 & Windows 8 phones. Similar name, but completely different app stores. I got my Windows 8 phone because they promised that any app that is available on Windows 8 will be easily portable to Windows 8 phones. Hasn't quite worked out that way. So, take a good long look at the the Windows 8 phone marketplace to see if the apps you need are available on your phone and also your region.
  • twelveways 28 Jul 2013 04:57:36 4,017 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :( second day and I'm regretting it already.

The phone itself is great, feels very solid, nice specs etc. The problem is Windows, it sucks. I can cope with the limited store, even the Chinese version which is extra limited, I just really don't like a lot of WP 'features'.

Only one global volume control, no ability to have a high ringtone and low app volumes.
    Unable to set mp3s as notification tones, have to choose a 20sec snippet of music for ringtones.
    No support for VPN.
    Keyboard is horrible.
    Alarm clock is very basic and also can only use 20 second song clips.

It seems like small things but coming from a system where everything is customisable to one where pretty much nothing is has left me feeling very disappointed.

If I had the option to get this phone on Android I would snap your hand off, I would even pay extra. As it is, I am seriously considering selling it and forking out for a nice Sony Android device

:(
  • kingcrowbar 18 Aug 2013 21:43:41 917 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bumping this rather than "First mobile phone ?".

Looking for a basic starter phone for kids (which already have a 3DS so gaming phone can sod off.

I've been looking at either the Nokia 100 or 113 which seem like an ideal starter phones.

Any other decent starter phones out there?
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous