How did you get into your line of work and what is it you do? Page 3

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Steve_Perry 23 Jul 2013 11:11:19 5,197 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @joelstinton - I worked at a supermarket (and several pubs) so I can sympathise. I think that people are so bored they turn to hardcore bitching to keep their brains active.
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Jul 2013 11:16:36 8,723 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chemical Process Engineer

Purely due to my skill set:
    Good at maths but preferred chemistry.
    Good at theoretical work but like to see the results in a physical form and not just on paper.
    Good at problem solving and visualising things in pictures.
    Rubbish at computing and struggle interacting with people.
    Like to work to a common goal but by individual working and not a committee.
    Enjoy learning something new and having a new challenge everyday.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 11:17:44 23-07-2013
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 11:18:09
    @Shikasama aye thanks. I guess the good news is that i'm bubbling away underneath to get away from it. Often with these things, it happens quickly and before you know it, you're somewhere else or with a new job. Just have to keep plugging away.

So to the OP, don't go near supermarkets ;)
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 11:21:05
    Kicked out of school and dossed around for a couple of years. Decided to pursue dream of becoming a lawyer even though was told it would be impossible due to grades. Worked my fucking arse off to get those grades in 8 weeks (instead of two years). Law degree, law diploma (for practice). Volunteered for a year in three roles while working part time (and living off heaps of debt). Started working for legal team in massive company and then moved to a charity as a sort of non solicitor lawyer. Very satisfying work helping people in serious need but can be frustrating due to utterly fucking disgraceful government cuts, pay is good and flexible working office is great (do what I want basically). About to sell out though and enter the corporate world again.

Advice would be if you know what you want to do then just fucking do it. If you want to be a script writer then write some damn scripts and get them sent off. :-)
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 11:21:56
    mowgli wrote:
    Kicked out of school.
    Short fuse perchance? :p
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Jul 2013 11:26:40 17,365 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Very satisfying work helping people in serious need but can be frustrating due to utterly fucking disgraceful government cuts
    You and Joel could soon be working for the same kind of establishment ;-)

You are a factory of sadness.

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 23 Jul 2013 11:26:45 645 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did a degree in Japanese language (etc) as a mature student and planned to try and get on JET afterwards as an excuse to be immersed and bring my Japanese up to an appropriate level to be considering looking for real work using it (translation etc), but didn't get the JET place and in need of something sooner rather than later ended up in Korea doing ESL. Been here two and a half years, my Japanese skills are deteriorating rapidly (not a good country to use it, and I am lazy when it comes to "just studying"). My Korean skills are very basic, and not likely to be of much use in the future. Currently preparing to go back home (family commitments) at the end of the 3 years and then wonder what the hell I can do afterwards in my local area. Not looking hopeful...
  • Megapocalypse 23 Jul 2013 11:26:49 5,511 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I remember chatting to you in the pub once when you were a PCSO. (I think..??)
    *shudder* Those were dark times, but a necessary evil.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 11:28:12
    HairyArse wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Kicked out of school.
    Short fuse perchance? :p
    Ha no! But BELIEVE IT OR NOT I apparently have a bad habit or arguing with people...
  • Nexus_6 23 Jul 2013 11:30:05 3,903 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Left school with a place on an architecture/engineering course at uni. Went to do a couple weeks work experience at an architects practice. Ended up staying there for a year and transferring place to full architecture course.

Did 4 years, working summers each year, finishing uni 1 week and working next, finishing work and starting uni same. Did my mandatory year out at a well known (in the industry) practice, went back to uni, did my post grad, back to same work, did my professional exam, qualified, stayed at same practice until the place was liquidated in November 2011.

Set up my own business December 2011 and am still plugging away doing trying to keep it going while doing consultancy work for a large English practice.

It's all I've ever known, but like OP dont really know what actual skills I have - it's all transferrable. This will hopefully keep the path open should I wish to diverge in to other design fields. Also, without being arrogant, I would like to think I could give it a good go at changing field completely and doing something completely random. Always wanted to join the forestry service for example.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 11:30:08
    NO WAY?
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 11:30:54
    I know right!
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 11:31:03
    Cunts
  • ModishNouns 23 Jul 2013 12:06:47 4,664 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Tap dancer. Have a degree in aerodynamics but used to to tap dance in the bars around Newcastle to put me through uni. I found I was having more fun with the tap dancing than I was designing transonic flow models. And the moneys great.
    I thought that said "monkey's". I wish it had said "monkey's".
  • Destria 23 Jul 2013 12:06:52 2,836 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Grew up tinkering with computers and such, so figured I was bound to end up in them somehow. Went to Uni and did Computer Science. Somehow ended up getting a job in Forensic Technology at a large accountancy firm, and also ended up spending the next few years there qualifying as an accountant.

Job there went to shit somewhat. Not bad people as such, just the department wasn't getting any decent work after some key departures and I was spending all my time either doing bugger all or just imaging hard drives for companies that had gone bust. And I wasn't learning anything.

So I've sold my soul to the Americans and joined an American consultancy firm in their "computer geeks who know data and business" department. I can't really describe easily what that involves, but I'm basically "consultant" (with the bizarrely overblown title of "Vice President", even though it's the second lowest rank of consultant and there's like 500 of us).

Ultimately, this is what I do: http://xkcd.com/722/
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 23 Jul 2013 12:08:57 1,913 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Promo director for a TV channel. Well, okay, technically I'm a "creative" but that's a rather nebulous term.

Went to uni, studied English (want to be a writer). Got contacts for indie TV companies from the careers dept, sent off a bunch of CVs. Got some work ex, that lead to more work ex, pounded the streets of London for weeks handing out CVs, that lead to more work ex, eventually got a paid job.

Got the job here because my producer at my old job was friends with the producer at my new job and recommended me for interview.

All that took ten years :-)
  • rickalish 23 Jul 2013 12:09:53 1,837 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    I did English and I'm now a copywriter. I would love to be a journalist or work for a more noble industry than marketing, but the money isn't bad and at least I get to do some creative writing, even if it is to sell peoples junk.

You could do the same with a script writing background, but you might have to freelance for a while to get some experience.
    So what exactly does your job entail? And I suppose more importantly does it pay alright and do you like it?
  • rickalish 23 Jul 2013 12:14:46 1,837 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    Promo director for a TV channel. Well, okay, technically I'm a "creative" but that's a rather nebulous term.

Went to uni, studied English (want to be a writer). Got contacts for indie TV companies from the careers dept, sent off a bunch of CVs. Got some work ex, that lead to more work ex, pounded the streets of London for weeks handing out CVs, that lead to more work ex, eventually got a paid job.

Got the job here because my producer at my old job was friends with the producer at my new job and recommended me for interview.

All that took ten years :-)
    What did you do for the indie TV companies?
  • Steve_Perry 23 Jul 2013 12:18:26 5,197 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @rickalish. Copywriting can be anything from writing adverts, blogs, SEO web copy, brochures, training manuals etc. There are a lot of social media/marketing agencies who will take on graduates with writing degrees.

I basically do a mixture of the above for a marketing agency. I do really like it, though I do feel I have sold out to a degree, but you have to pay the bills. I'm on 20k a year which is good considering my current level of experience. I'm hoping to move jobs within the year for about 25k.

Yes I do actually enjoy it. Getting positive feedback from my writing is fulfilling but it is a lot of pressure at times. I've had to move 80 miles to get this job but it should be worth it in the long run. It beats freelancing and doing 2 part time jobs. Hope this helps.
  • Dravos 23 Jul 2013 12:19:08 177 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Visual Effects for Films.

I was originally looking to do games programming, did a degree in Software Engineering Management, but did a 4th year graphics unit that I thought would be helpful. Decided to expand this into a masters in Computer Animation.

Kind of fell into jobs due to friends that had found them and they were after other people, so a bit lucky getting my foot in the door there, it's a lot harder now in our industry.

3DS FC: 2664-2580-8829

• RedSparrows 23 Jul 2013 12:25:14 24,154 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How did I get my job? I went to the pub. A week later I had an interview. A month later I had a contract.

Boom.

P.S I don't work in a pub.

Edited by RedSparrows at 12:26:50 23-07-2013
  • craigy Staff 23 Jul 2013 12:25:30 7,831 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am Senior Developer for Gamer Network.

Was firmly rooted in web culture during my teenage years; went to university in Scarborough for four years and earned an honours degree in Internet Computing. Was clever enough to do a "sandwich" course which gave me a year's placement in industry for my third year, which meant I managed to get some very helpful real world experience. After graduation I went back to the company that gave me my placement, worked there for a few more years, then joined Eurogamer. Have been here since 2006.
  • Khanivor 23 Jul 2013 12:30:43 41,238 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got an MA in English Lit. Used that to sign on for a few years. Got a few office jobs and kitchen work, signed on some more. Got a project management role at an oil company which turned out to have no project. Disnt kind as I was leaving anyway to come here to the US. Parties for six months, got a job working for a brewery slash canoe company. Worked as VP of the latter for a few years, got let go, started doing hardwood flooring with a neighbor and poker buddy. Been doing this full time since about Pctober, have my own crew and plan on finding something less manual after the summer.

Have had one job in my life from an application process, all the rest have been through family then friends. I'd like to go to law school but no money for that so I'm seriously thinking of doing real estate as I like houses and have built up some good contacts, which is what it's all about.
  • neilka 23 Jul 2013 12:31:05 16,522 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedSparrows, yesterday

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 23 Jul 2013 12:32:45 1,913 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @rickalish Running and research mostly.

This included sourcing contributors, driving vans full of kit, set dressing, painting, decorating, making tea, stacking and unstacking a dishwasher, adapting scripts, writing exams, designing fliers, interviewing candidates, directing second unit, carrying kit, logging, editing, photographing, and eating a chocolate eclair in a cockroach-infested cake shop.

I will say that my first paid job was brilliant - for Shine, Elisabeth Murdoch's company, back before it was the biggest indie in the land. I got that job as a direct result of my degree: working on a Shakespeare reality-doc. That was great fun, even if I was dropped from the credits (sad fact of life for newbies in TV).
  • RedSparrows 23 Jul 2013 12:38:01 24,154 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    RedSparrows, yesterday

We do a special 'extra-hairy' line, for the special tastes.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 12:41:29
    I'm a creative strategist for a brand design agency. Did an MA in creative writing, but then didn't really know what to do with it and kind of fell into a marketing job where my brother worked (started off doing work experience but stayed for three years). While doing that job I worked with design agencies and realised copywriting would be a good match for me. Found a job as a copywriter, and then over time as I gained experience I transitioned into creative strategy.
  • IJ 23 Jul 2013 12:45:29 847 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A Levels -> gap year working for large US software company-> Computer Science degree (with internships in banks during the summer) -> trader for a European bank trading credit

Fell into banking, wasn't a specific direction I took. Done it for 7 years now, about to leave at 29 (having set myself a limit of 32 anyway). It was good fun for a few years and the money is obviously unrepeatable but the last two years it's been tough. I'm now burnt out, not enjoying it and unmotivated. Money really doesn't make you enjoy your job, it can help in lots of other areas and remove stress from other parts of life, but it does not make up for doing a job you're passionate about, love and want to succeed in. I'm proof of that.

Hard to leave knowing I'll get paid a fraction of what i was on and I'll have probably peaked salary wise at 26 years old but...but hopefully doing something worthwhile and I love will make up for it!
  • Physically_Insane 23 Jul 2013 12:57:07 9,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Computing honours degree at uni. Instantly got a job as a web designer. I hate my job and my life.
  • EMarkM 23 Jul 2013 13:02:07 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "O" levels - "A" levels (maths, physics, German, general studies) - then a quantity surveyor for eleven years, the first six years of which were also spent doing my BSc (Hons) - then total career change at the age of thirty and became an applications developer for a large local building society - after four years of that became a SQL Server database administrator for the same company which is where I am now.

Currently 42 years old and will be made redundant next year.

No idea where life will take me next. Married, no children.

Edit: didn't say how I got my jobs. Got the QS job via going to the local careers advice office in Congleton and stating that I wanted to do something "outdoors and technical". Got the IT job by having a family member at the organisation who was able to get an initial meeting arranged with the person who would become my first boss there.

Edited by EMarkM at 13:09:23 23-07-2013
  • Page

of 11 First / Last