Xbox One Cloud

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • JorgeLuisBorges 25 Jun 2013 12:39:11 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm just wondering about this cloud thing - is this something Sony could implement to their machine, or is there something hardware/proprietary about it?

Please let's not turn this into fan/flame wars - it's just interesting to know, from a technical point of view, whether this really is a unique feature for Microsoft.
  • imamazed 25 Jun 2013 12:39:47 5,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes. No.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2013 12:42:01
    It can do some stuff, but it's nothing Sony can't already do.

MS are making out its huge, when it really isn't.

Edited by SG59 at 12:43:34 25-06-2013
  • neilka 25 Jun 2013 12:42:18 15,803 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a meaningless buzzword used to describe pretty much anything to do with the internet.
  • imamazed 25 Jun 2013 12:42:51 5,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cloud Vs. Cell
  • BillMurray 25 Jun 2013 12:43:38 7,689 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JorgeLuisBorges wrote:
    Please let's not turn this into fan/flame wars - it's just interesting to know, from a technical point of view, whether this really is a unique feature for Microsoft.
    Any and all threads related to Xbox One and PS4 have been dumped on by fanboys from both sides. I expect this one to be no different.
  • JorgeLuisBorges 25 Jun 2013 13:15:45 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @SG59 You'd think Sony would have said as much - they were pretty quick to reply to the used game thing... I'm wondering why they haven't piled into this.
  • mikew1985 25 Jun 2013 13:19:08 12,645 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well it is and it isn't meaningless, MS are one of the very few companies with such a massive amount of servers running.

Sony certainly wouldn't be able to just click their finger and have the same kind of sheer server numbers that MS already have. Even if they could, they wouldn't be able to afford it.

It could end up being used for cool things but it's most likely going to just mean dedicated servers for MP games - this is still an improvement on the way things are now though.

Edited by mikew1985 at 13:19:57 25-06-2013
  • JorgeLuisBorges 25 Jun 2013 13:19:38 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @BillMurray Sing it to me bill!
  • Widge Moderator 25 Jun 2013 13:21:15 13,377 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JorgeLuisBorges wrote:
    @SG59 You'd think Sony would have said as much - they were pretty quick to reply to the used game thing... I'm wondering why they haven't piled into this.
    They did a quote:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79760/sony-of-course-ps4-can-do-cloud-computing

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 25 June 2013 13:39:00
    @JorgeLuisBorges Cause it isn't as big a deal as MS are making out. Sony already have some cloud options on the PS3. So does the 360.

I suspect MS are trying to do the same trick as Nintendo. They know their console isn't as powerful, so they're trying to divert attention onto something else. With the Wii u it was the pandering Tablet pad, with MS it's the cloud.

Edited by SG59 at 13:41:31 25-06-2013
  • morriss 25 Jun 2013 13:43:16 70,913 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nothing MS has in terms of the Xbox One is any good/as good as they make it out. The PS4 can do everything it can just as well, and if it can't do it then it's probably a feature that's superfluous and overrated.
  • JorgeLuisBorges 25 Jun 2013 16:10:37 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Widge That's the one! I was just surprised I hadn't seen it before.
  • Dizzy 25 Jun 2013 16:13:56 2,615 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sony can do it but they probably don't wanne pay for it though...

It is unique since it pisses off the SDF.

Edited by Dizzy at 16:15:23 25-06-2013
  • mikew1985 25 Jun 2013 16:15:05 12,645 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    @JorgeLuisBorges Cause it isn't as big a deal as MS are making out. Sony already have some cloud options on the PS3. So does the 360.
    Hmm, Sony has a Gaikai - which is a very specific function being operated at a remote location, it's not even remotely close to having the kind of brute force that Azure has.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 Jun 2013 16:23:14 39,406 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Nothing MS has in terms of the Xbox One is any good/as good as they make it out. The PS4 can do everything it can just as well, and if it can't do it then it's probably a feature that's superfluous and overrated.
    MANTRA!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• roz123 25 Jun 2013 16:33:38 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Large clouds bring stormy weather
  • EMarkM 25 Jun 2013 17:10:55 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    But it's even colder in Birmingham...
  • Deleted user 25 June 2013 17:12:18
    mikew1985 wrote:
    SG59 wrote:
    Hmm, Sony has a Gaikai - which is a very specific function being operated at a remote location, it's not even remotely close to having the kind of brute force that Azure has.
    Wasn't comparing the two. A lot of what MS have said about the cloud is bull.
  • JorgeLuisBorges 25 Jun 2013 17:21:00 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mikew1985 but is the "brute force" just the quantity of servers?

I could buy 300K servers (if i was disgustingly rich) if I wanted to - Is there anything more proprietary about they way they are planning to leverage those servers - or could Sony eventually just say 'fudge it - let's buy a shit-tonne of servers' and have their own Azure?
  • mikew1985 25 Jun 2013 17:21:43 12,645 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    SG59 wrote:
    Really, what have they said that was/is bull?

All I've heard anyone talk about using it for is the driveatar shite and then the Titanfall stuff - extra AI characters in the world along with dedicated servers, allowing them to use all system resources available instead of having to account for the drawbacks of player hosting.
  • JorgeLuisBorges 25 Jun 2013 17:22:59 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @roz123
    roz123 wrote:
    well that depends... you need this http://cotonapp.com/

Edited by JorgeLuisBorges at 17:24:23 25-06-2013
  • mikew1985 25 Jun 2013 17:25:04 12,645 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JorgeLuisBorges wrote:
    @mikew1985 but is the "brute force" just the quantity of servers?

I could buy 300K servers (if i was disgustingly rich) if I wanted to - Is there anything more proprietary about they way they are planning to leverage those servers - or could Sony eventually just say 'fudge it - let's buy a shit-tonne of servers' and have their own Azure?
    Its a number of servers - MS have a huge amount of data centres around the world as well as just the sheer numbers and have already heavily invested in cloud technology for other things - Office 365 et al.

Even if Sony wanted to do something similar they wouldn't be able to afford it and they don't have the technology.

The cost of a server is much more than the inital cost of the hardware.

Add to that, that MS have been developing the Azure stuff to be as adaptive and flexible a possible and no I don't think it's something Sony could just throw a few servers at and be done with it.

They could probably try to get MS to rent them the use of their servers though :D
  • SparkyMarky81 25 Jun 2013 17:26:25 565 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The scale of Azure means it isn't something that many companies would be able to get up and running, let alone afford to.

I'd also question whether Sony have the technical know-how at the present moment.

Having said that, it's not impossible. It's just highly unlikely that they could copy it.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2013 17:39:29
    mikew1985 wrote:
    SG59 wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    SG59 wrote:

All I've heard anyone talk about using it for is the driveatar shite and then the Titanfall stuff - extra AI characters in the world along with dedicated servers, allowing them to use all system resources available instead of having to account for the drawbacks of player hosting.
    They've said only with the cloud could Forza learn your driving style. That's bull. There's been games in the past doing that stuff without the need of a cloud.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 25 Jun 2013 17:47:34 37,632 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Let's re-purpose this thread to a general Xbox One Cloud thread shall we?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• IronGiant 25 Jun 2013 17:48:19 4,482 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This thread is just what we needed.. There's clearly no information readily available on the web, if only we had some next gen console discussions already ongoing or better still if EG would do an article on it.

The cloud is just a lot of hot air ;)
  • morriss 25 Jun 2013 17:48:43 70,913 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No they haven't. Stick to PS4 threads. Your constant lay-critical presence in everything Xbox One related is tiring. You're getting a PS4, you've stated as much. Congrats with that, I'm sure it will be awesome - it certainly looks it - so just keep to talking about that, eh?

You're in the FP comments and every thread on the forum.

Bored now.
  • mikew1985 25 Jun 2013 18:11:58 12,645 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    SG59 wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    SG59 wrote:

They've said only with the cloud could Forza learn your driving style. That's bull. There's been games in the past doing that stuff without the need of a cloud.
    Yes and all the stuff being done in Titanfall has previously been done by machines locally.

I don't really get your point, MS whole selling point in everything that they have said about the cloud is that it can do extra things for you remotely so you no longer need to use local resources.

Perhaps you want to clarify what you mean but as far as I can tell you're agreeing with the point.
  • mcmothercruncher 26 Jun 2013 09:05:43 6,666 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funny morriss, because you are a Microsoft flavoured mirror image of all that you despise. Blindly defending the XBox One at every turn, childishly posting sarcastic comments if anyone dares to criticise it, gloating in the PS3 thread over the network outage last week (then strangely silent when XBox went down), the recent list goes on.

I'd have a lot more respect for your posts if you could just introduce a tiny bit more balance, but you're utterly blinkered.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous