Glastonbury 2013 Page 12

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 1 Jul 2013 00:54:57 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like some metal, but I'm not sure it would fit into a festival like Glastonbury.

It's not quite right to say "Every other genre is represented so why not metal?" because metal is really so far away from other major genres of music and plenty of people don't like it whatsoever. I guess most people will probably like some pop, a bit of indie rock, bit of dance, maybe some rap (although remember the moaners when Jay-Z headlined). Not sure metal really fits into most people's equations, and Glastonbury has to appeal to most people, really. It's basically three days of Later with Jools.
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Jul 2013 01:02:00 17,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's hardly any reggae, prog, classical or jazz either.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dr.Haggard 1 Jul 2013 01:25:20 4,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • roz123 1 Jul 2013 01:57:58 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I like some metal, but I'm not sure it would fit into a festival like Glastonbury.

It's not quite right to say "Every other genre is represented so why not metal?" because metal is really so far away from other major genres of music and plenty of people don't like it whatsoever. I guess most people will probably like some pop, a bit of indie rock, bit of dance, maybe some rap (although remember the moaners when Jay-Z headlined). Not sure metal really fits into most people's equations, and Glastonbury has to appeal to most people, really. It's basically three days of Later with Jools.
    Maybe on the main stages but BBC only show 5% of the festival at most, it is fucking gigantic and has all sorts of weird shit going on
  • Immaterial 1 Jul 2013 07:35:32 1,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    There's hardly any reggae, prog, classical or jazz either.
    You obviously never saw the classical prog reggae jazz fusion tent.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• localnotail 1 Jul 2013 07:53:26 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still got loads of full sets to watch online, really enjoying that feature.

Soon all the tired & grubby punters will be packing up & heading home to shitbomb the services along the way and then stumble into their showers to discover how much of that festival tan is just dirt and sunburn.

Can't work out if being able to view so much in full after the event would detract from the specialness of being there.

Edited by localnotail at 10:33:46 01-07-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• kinky_mong 1 Jul 2013 10:34:09 10,866 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do the BBC have shares in Chic? Their set was repeated a lot on the red button coverage over the weekend and 6Music are playing some of it again now.

Still bitter about the lousy coverage of The Smashing Pumpkins set.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Dougs 1 Jul 2013 10:39:43 69,502 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice, can download the sets too. Awesome
  • RedSparrows 1 Jul 2013 13:50:26 24,235 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Do the BBC have shares in Chic? Their set was repeated a lot on the red button coverage over the weekend and 6Music are playing some of it again now.

Still bitter about the lousy coverage of The Smashing Pumpkins set.
    Pumpkins never get good coverage. Since 2007 anyway.

Helps that post-2007 Pumpkins are nowhere near as good, obv.
  • thelzdking 1 Jul 2013 15:26:53 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There are lots of bands that have become equally shit who still get coverage. I guess the Pumpkins just don't float anyone's boat at the BBC nowadays.

Still will try and watch their set on iPlayer though. And Haim, although I hope they've toned down the gurning since they were on Jools Holland.
  • nickthegun 1 Jul 2013 15:33:56 61,305 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It doesnt help that they were never that good in the first place and havent done anything worthwhile since he turned into uncles fester.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 1 July 2013 15:47:26
    @nickthegun Siamese Dream is an incredible album. But yeah, I can leave pretty much everything else.
  • RedSparrows 1 Jul 2013 18:17:45 24,235 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bollocks, SD-PI-MCiS are superb.

Momentary hijack: still my favourite SP thing ever.

Edited by RedSparrows at 18:25:47 01-07-2013
  • Deleted user 1 July 2013 19:02:16
    MCiS is definitely an amazing album. Wish they're release a remastered version of it. It just doesn't quite sound right somehow. A bit muted almost. It's always bothered me.
  • RedSparrows 1 Jul 2013 19:08:50 24,235 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...and the Gods said, 'ok'.

The teenage die-hard SP fan that still lives in me is tempted to buy all the reissues. But I already have every CD ever, including Aeroplane Flies High. I've not heard any of the reissues.

Actually, looking at the listings, I've got 75% of those tracks. Some I haven't though. Hmmm. HMMMMM.

Edited by RedSparrows at 19:10:43 01-07-2013
  • neilqpr 1 Jul 2013 19:17:22 2,865 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just realised I've got this, which turns out to be worth over 200 quid. Totally finding it and flogging it next time I'm home.
  • thelzdking 1 Jul 2013 19:18:51 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vinyl reissue of Mellon Collie is 110 on Amazon O_O

Too rich for me, even if it is very nicely packaged.
  • RedSparrows 1 Jul 2013 19:20:05 24,235 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    Just realised I've got this, which turns out to be worth over 200 quid. Totally finding it and flogging it next time I'm home.
    Nice! Some idiot'll snap it up!
  • thelzdking 1 Jul 2013 19:38:43 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice indeed! I still hold out hope that my Three Colours Red 7-inches will be worth something someday and that pigs will fly.
  • DigitalDelay 2 Jul 2013 00:11:15 230 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Crikey, was watching some Smashing Pumpkins and thought I'd have a read on wiki to catch up on their lineup history a bit. Crazier than I remembered, was an interesting read.

Watched Dinosaur Jr set tonight. Thought it was going to be dodgy at first glance, but soon realised they are still very cool!

Goat is still my highlight. Will defo buy their album. First time I've heard of em. In fact, I now wanna play in Goat and wear a pointy felt hat!
  • chasejamie 2 Jul 2013 00:30:59 817 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:

I sold my original numbered print for just under 400 last year. I needed rent money, but actually regret it now.
  • imamazed 2 Jul 2013 00:51:42 5,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    There are lots of bands that have become equally shit who still get coverage. I guess the Pumpkins just don't float anyone's boat at the BBC nowadays.

Still will try and watch their set on iPlayer though. And Haim, although I hope they've toned down the gurning since they were on Jools Holland.
    They didn't tone it down, at least not on pyramid anyway.

Got back earlier today, enjoyed myself a lot. After looking back at some stuff on the BBC website, I understand why people watching on telly might have been a little disappointed with the stones but live in person it was amazing. Obviously it helps that the whole crowd spent all day waiting for them, but the genuinely put across a lot of energy. Thoroughly enjoyed it, highlight being gimme shelter. Gutted I missed public enemy, I'll have to catch up with that.

Other highlights were primal scream, London grammar, bobby Womack, the milk, and smashing pumpkins. After thinking about it for ages I went for portishead over arctic monkeys. They were incredible really. She did seem a little unwell as others have said but the whole set was a work of art really, along with the visuals. You kind of knowing what you're getting with the arctics, not a bad thing necessarily, but I think it'd be fine on the telly too really.

Anyone else there or have everyone here just been watching on telly?
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 06:29:40
    chasejamie wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:

I sold my original numbered print for just under 400 last year. I needed rent money, but actually regret it now.
    The same reason I sold all my Smashing Pumpkins cds last year :o Some things we just have to do!

Smashing Pumpkins were ok at Glastonbury, although that guitarist (that wasn't Billy Corgan) looked like he'd had a lobotomy!
  • localnotail 2 Jul 2013 08:09:04 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @imamazed Don't doubt that Public Enemy were good, but PE without Flav isn't really PE.
    (he had to stay in US for immigration issues). They'll be back.

Liked that Mick Jagger was asking people to pay top dollar to go & see them on tour, whereas Chuck D was telling people to download PE for free from their website.

Was it fun then?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Zomoniac 2 Jul 2013 09:46:30 7,980 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well aside from getting a bad allergic reaction to something and my eye welding shut and swelling up to occupy half my face, and getting some impressive sunburn (woke up this morning to find half my head on my bed with my in the form of giant chunks of skin, lovely), that was an amazing time. The lineup was the worst in living memory, but it being Glastonbury I was never bored. Nothing in the way of life-changing sets like there have been in the past, but still some very good ones. Portishead, Amanda Palmer, the first Savages set and Martin Harley among the standouts. Gutted that I missed most of Elvis Costello and all of the Proclaimers set because I was sitting in the hospital tent having my eye examined.
  • imamazed 2 Jul 2013 10:20:01 5,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @localnotail oh yeh, a whole heap of fun. The Thursday night was miserable though, I know you'd just have to deal with it, but if it was a properly wet glasto I think I'd really struggle to enjoy it. In the end, I ended up getting sunburnt. Thursday was also a bit shit as I don't like dance music.

Beady eye were a nice surprise on Friday., even if liam's voice is going. I've seen people saying the lineup wasn't great and I'd agree with that actually. But I listen pretty much exclusively to hip hop and rock n roll, so I'm never going to be properly catered for, but still had so much to see and do. Being a lefty, I spent a lot of time in the leftfield tent which was great. I'd definitely go again, just wish you could guarantee no rain
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Jul 2013 10:30:12 17,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Martin Harley
    Is he still playing in a trio or has he expanded the lineup? I saw him years ago in the Troubadour and I absolutely loved it, he has a wonderful voice.

You are a factory of sadness.

• monkman76 2 Jul 2013 10:31:19 5,406 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @imamazed What do you mean by rock n roll? Unless it has a new definition I would have thought that plenty, even a majority, of the acts at Glasto could just about fit that?
  • Humperfunk 2 Jul 2013 10:36:08 2,492 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There's a vid on youtube of the Pumpkins set bar the first two songs, thank fuck.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• imamazed 2 Jul 2013 10:38:10 5,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @monkman76 yeh that's a fair point, I don't really know how to explain really. I guess I have a very narrow perception of rock n roll. I pretty just mean old classics, like the stones and oasis, and a very select few newer bands.

That's not to say I don't enjoy anything else, and I discovered lots of amazing new music, but i wouldn't go out of my way to attend based on those types of music.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last