Gaming Time and Work/ Family Time

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • northernlights 23 Jun 2013 08:52:11 729 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As i get older with work and family commitments i am finding it harder and harder to commit time to play games

As much as i love gaming I wonder if investing in the nxt gen is a good idea.

I still want to play games though ! Can't stand mobile games but maybe the 3ds is a good
    Option for quick lunchtime sessions

Are you finding it harder to play now ur older ? What workaround have u found ?
  • speedofthepuma 23 Jun 2013 08:53:29 13,310 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ipad.
    Also I game a lot less.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• DUFFMAN5 23 Jun 2013 08:58:05 15,223 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tend to play (360/PS3) afternoons for maybe an hour or very early mornings (I'm talking before 06.00!)
    Kids are in bed around 20:00 or at least in their bedrooms then, so I may play for an hour or so then, but due to getting up for work or the Gym early and being an old git I'm knackered come the evening.

I think I play around 7 hours a week.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• zoolophage 23 Jun 2013 09:01:18 2,025 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For sure, I game much less than I did say 10 years ago. 3DS is actually my main gaming platform now. I use it a lot during commutes. I don't have time to sit down and play 60 - 80 hour epic campaigns. That would take me a year at least. I'm much more selective about what I buy these days, asking myself not only whether it's a good game but whether I have I'll even have time to play it.

I think in life you have to choose a few things to concentrate on and let the rest go. You can't do everything. There's only so much time, so pick the things that bring you the most joy.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• northernlights 23 Jun 2013 09:02:57 729 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @zoolophage

What a good reply i like it !
  • northernlights 23 Jun 2013 09:03:21 729 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who is not investing in next gen because of this
  • ZuluHero 23 Jun 2013 09:08:19 4,233 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Child in bed by 8, partner in bed by 9. I go to bed after midnight :)

I also pop home during lunch to spend time with the other half if she's not working ofc. We don't play games but we hang out and stuff ;).

Weekends im sole parent, but my daughter loves games like Lego, ray man and Zelda,so we probably play far too much.

All in all a pretty good balance except when I have overtime which I had all last week and again next week too.

Edit, I'll be getting a ps4

Edited by ZuluHero at 09:10:01 23-06-2013
  • zoolophage 23 Jun 2013 09:10:02 2,025 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @northernlights

If you haven't already, I'd recommend that you start playing euro board games. Modern board games are great for all the family...short playing times, involving gameplay and gets everyone together. Women like them, kids like them. Everybody wins.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Deleted user 23 June 2013 09:21:55
    I have two boys (7 and 10) so I'm lucky enough to be able to game WITH them sometimes. Four or three player screen share Halo. Nothing beats being handed your ass by your seven yr old. That's fun.

Also, Mrs bdaggers is a Youth group volunteer at our Church, so I get Thu nights free. (Once the kids are in bed) every now and then we will agree that there is bugger all on the telly, Mrs b will read a book and ill gave the Xbox on.

And iphone gaming.

In other words, you can find ways to fit gaming in, even with a full time job and two young kids.
  • jonsaan 23 Jun 2013 09:34:57 25,437 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All my gaming has moved to handheld. Vita mainly, with some 3dsxl on the side.

360 and PS3 are always manned by my children so my interest in them has waned. By the time the kids go to bed I am too tired for games.

FCUTA!

• ComradePete 23 Jun 2013 09:46:03 492 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    All my gaming has moved to handheld. Vita mainly, with some 3dsxl on the side.

360 and PS3 are always manned by my children so my interest in them has waned. By the time the kids go to bed I am too tired for games.
    Pretty much this.

My 360 hasn't been on in months & I've pretty much given up on any long single player games as I don't get the time. Dishonored was the last one I played through as it's smallish levels were perfect.

Still dip in to some Battlefield/ COD every now & again. Vita is great though.
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Jun 2013 09:50:49 8,615 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mainly use the vita when commuting. (Also have a 3DS but use that less however I might get Fire Emblem soon which will probably change everything).
  • Load_2.0 23 Jun 2013 10:06:45 19,517 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have you considered taxidermy?
  • dancingrob 23 Jun 2013 10:08:00 1,189 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm always mildly amused by these threads, as my experience seems so different from everyone else, and I now have far more time for gaming with a young family than I've had since I was in my teens.

In my 20s, I'd generally be out doing stuff fairly regularly, but after having children, just going out on a whim is pretty much impossible due to babysitting etc. As such, a sedentary indoors-y hobby such as gaming seems a perfect fit.

In my case, my wife naturally tends to go to bed a couple of hours earlier than I do, meaning I can usually start playing at 10ish for a while before heading to bed.
  • Trafford 23 Jun 2013 10:57:14 5,930 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And before you know it's 1am and you're creeping into bed like Sam Fisher.
  • JuanKerr 23 Jun 2013 11:01:51 36,422 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can people stop using 'game' as a verb. Thanks.
  • Youthist 23 Jun 2013 11:08:44 10,057 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm gaming! I'm gaming! I'm gaming! I game ! I'm a gamer ! I game ! Your death therapy cured me you Genius!!!

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Youthist 23 Jun 2013 11:13:00 10,057 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It went something like that anyway.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Youthist 23 Jun 2013 11:13:47 10,057 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Or Reeva Steenkamp

• jonsaan 23 Jun 2013 11:16:34 25,437 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Going to bed later than your other half is not good for your sex life.

FCUTA!

• maddermax 23 Jun 2013 11:24:37 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I work in a pub/ restaurant as assistant manager which gives me a say in my working hours. I do 3 or 4 nights a week (3 or 5 til 11.30) and on those days my gaming time consists of a couple of hours before work and then from 11.45pm til 2am, sometimes 3. On days off its more and on days when I work in the day maybe an hour after kids and missus are in bed.

The challenging part is getting up at 7 to see kids and wife but they are gone by 8. Loads of gaming time basically. Sticking with 360 slim for now until I invest on a new console as I want to see the reality of the cloud and super open worlds first.
  • Trafford 23 Jun 2013 11:31:27 5,930 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Going to bed later than your other half is not good for your sex life.
    Indeed, bad habit.
  • Vortex808 23 Jun 2013 11:31:40 7,469 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    While trying not to trip over the grey cat lurking at the top of the stairs in the dark which one night will probably kill me!

In answer to the OP, I only ever play games late on thurs-sun. Not even every night then either any more.

The other nights I head to bed earlier. Mostly due to the point that jonsaan alluded to a few posts above.
  • Mr-Brett 23 Jun 2013 11:38:24 12,878 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The vita's suspend function should be quite good for quick stop and start. It looks like both next gen consoles are going to have something similar too so maybe they'll suit your needs better than the current machines.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• CharlieStCloud 23 Jun 2013 12:15:02 5,368 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    northernlights wrote:
    Who is not investing in next gen because of this?
    Me.

Only just treated myself to a PlayStation 3, which is my first PlayStation system I have purchased ... ever!

The likes of going through BioShock Infinite again and whatever is happening for those who downloaded the season pass, Alan Wake and Halo 3: ODST are still yet to be completed, a few XBLA games I have left halfway through as well as the wealth of exclusive titles on the PS3.

I am more than happy to wait a year or two before I invest in the 'next generation'.

: )
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Jun 2013 12:23:46 15,223 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    northernlights wrote:
    Who is not investing in next gen because of this?
    Me.

Only just treated myself to a PlayStation 3, which is my first PlayStation system I have purchased ... ever!

The likes of going through BioShock Infinite again and whatever is happening for those who downloaded the season pass, Alan Wake and Halo 3: ODST are still yet to be completed, a few XBLA games I have left halfway through as well as the wealth of exclusive titles on the PS3.

I am more than happy to wait a year or two before I invest in the 'next generation'.

: )
    You have some lovely PS3 execs to look forward to ;)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• killersrquiet 23 Jun 2013 12:24:15 2,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It really is a struggle to make time for gaming. I've tried to give it before but its a hobby I'll always love. Right now I may get 2-3 nights a week at about 2 hours a time. Since my main interests would be battlefield and halo the time just flies by.

I would absolutely agree the games I buy are limited to solely what I am guaranteed to getting the most out of.

I feel bad if I have 7 or 8 games waiting to play. No time for queuing games it may take me an age to get around to.

Undoubtedly I'll go next gen as I love technology but with GTA v releasing this year I'm in no hurry
  • Corvo-Attano-77 23 Jun 2013 12:24:49 29 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @jonsaan
    What's a "sex life"?

<--{married with kids}

On topic, basically what others have said. Stay up late and/or game (yes I used it as a verb) on a handheld. I plan to get PS4+Vita if I can afford it because of the ability to stream games over wifi. Until then it's shitty iPad games and late nights.
  • THFourteen 23 Jun 2013 12:26:41 34,235 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No kids, but I do have wife and a demanding job. I generally game on my laptop nowadays, on the sofa whilst the mrs watches tv. And I catch a couple hours or so on the gaming PC on weekend days. Won't be buying a next gen console as I never game on the TV anymore, its not an inclusive activity for both of us.
  • killersrquiet 23 Jun 2013 12:27:50 2,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Late night sessions and a lack of sleep. I will happily sacrifice some sleep for an extra happy hour of gaming

That's why coffee was created :-)
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous