The Last of Us - Spoilery Discussions Only Page 2

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 19 Jun 2013 11:50:01 4,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    The only disappointing thing about the story was that it never took an expected turn for the weird when Michael and Walt showed up.
    ... care to explain how so?

The word 'weird' could be categorised in many different ways.
  • neilka 19 Jun 2013 11:53:59 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He wanted to see Ellie and Sam "getting it on".

And Joel and Henry.
  • SolidSCB 19 Jun 2013 11:57:36 5,823 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THEY TOOK MAH BOI!
  • AaronTurner 19 Jun 2013 12:08:40 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought this was a very clever game with few stereotypical evil people in it, everyone had a good side and a bad side told in the story. Even the man who could be considered closest to the stereo typical bad guy has been looking after a colony of people. The lines were very blurred and I'm not even sure if Joel was the bad guy in the end.

Fantastic game, fantastic writing. I too thought Joel had bought the farm but I don't begrudge him surviving, the ending was suitably non black and white.
  • ZuluHero 19 Jun 2013 12:27:29 3,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Just had another thought.

Those letters from 'Ish' that you find in, um ... the sewers?

I was overjoyed to find a letter in one of the suburban houses not long afterwards, which more or less suggests Ish survived and was moving on with what was left of their families.

Amazed me how something as simple as half a dozen letters makes me care about a character we never meet. I would buy a letter simulator game of some form from Naughty Dog, you know!
    When you started to fight the hunters from the city in the town after the sewer (the sniper bit) my first thought was that it was actually Ish and what was left of his group you were fighting.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 12:50:34
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Before their last conversation, I was firmly on Joel's side, even though what he did was essentially a selfish act, seeing as Ellie was the 'cure' so to speak. I also understand that Joel probably could not bare to lose another 'daughter' figure after what had happened at the beginning of the story.

It wasn't until Joel lied that he made me feel ... a bit uncomfortable? I am a very honest person in real life and that last scene kind of rubs me up the wrong way, and I got the slightest impression that Ellie knew he was lying. Anyone else thinks this too?

My final observation is this:

Was Joel actually the 'bad guy' in this?

Funny how The Last of Us was released two days before Fathers Day seeing as the Fatherhood themes were very strong throughout, especially in the last season in which Joel says he would like to teach Ellie to swim 'after all this' and Ellie says she would go anywhere (with him) after her trip to the hospital ...

... unbeknownst to her that the operation is a fatal one.

Such a good game.

Hope they never make a sequel either.
    Yeah i can agree with a lot of that, in a sense that playoff started before that last converstion and it had crossed my mind. When you doing that last hike, that thought was very much in my mind.

But at the same time, theres a lot of background stuff - everything bar henry and his son, was savage. If they found a cure, who's left? savages and power struggles. Do you leave the future of man kind in those hands? Joel was sure to be marched out and executed.

There was a sense of Joel being cured by ellie himself, and although they have flaws, they are the good guys. As the Road says, keep carrying the fire. Perhaps Joel weighed up the scenarios. Eventually, the infected would have to die, starve, their numbers will decline without food, ellie in her self is a new start. Her children would have that strain of resistance?

The giraffe scene, was wonderful, did not expect that at all. I very much had the impression when you get right up close it was almost a recognition of them two. Was the virus natural or man made? Two wrongs made a right, and it was so circumstances that maybe allowed to offer something different to the future of mankind.

-----

On a side note, i hope this paves the waves for takes on literature. I know we do get some, but something like Blood meridian would be a fantastic choice for a game. The quiet moments in this game really excelled and accompanied the loud moments so well.
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Jun 2013 16:05:06 4,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's it!

The blooming Road!

I kept wondering over and over where I felt this game was inspired by.

Oh, and the giraffe scene for reasons unbeknownst to me made me feel tearful; a very small moment of goodness in a game filled with dread.
  • drhcnip 19 Jun 2013 16:47:31 2,266 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    beautiful scene...another part that touched me was in the motorhome at the beginning of the bus depot section....two bodies of children dead under blankets, a baseball bat weapon nearby and a photo of the family, mum, dad & the two kids, with 'forgive us' written on the back....little stories like that, that many people may not even come across, is what lifts this game into brilliance for me.....love little touches like that....
  • ecureuil 19 Jun 2013 16:55:39 76,017 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Road is what I've been using as a comparison point for my non-gamer friends.
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Jun 2013 19:30:01 4,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Who the heck is Michael and Walt?

... I am trying REALLY hard to remember a set of characters in The Last of Us with those names and I am drawing a complete blank. Are they part of one of the letters I may well have missed or something?

Bet I am missing something obvious though!
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 19:31:42
    They're lost characters ;)
  • ecureuil 19 Jun 2013 19:33:21 76,017 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By lost you mean LOST. :p
  • SolidSCB 19 Jun 2013 19:39:25 5,823 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dey took him right out of mah hands

RIGHT. OUT. OF. MAH. HANDS!
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Jun 2013 19:45:00 4,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh.

Fucks sake guys ... I used my brain at near FULL capacity to try and remember any such characters called Michael and Walt.

LOST was a blooming terrible lets-make-up-the-stories-as-we-go-along programme anyway.
  • imamazed 19 Jun 2013 23:47:09 5,453 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished it, absolutely loved it, but the end made me feel very uneasy. I completely understand Joel's reaction to the 'surgery', or at least, his general dismay. But throughout the game you're basically killing rogue scavengers in a dog-eat-dog world. I know it's not black and white by any means, but killing waves of soldiers protecting a rare bastion of hope just felt wrong. When you had to kill the doctor at the end I hated it. I completely understand why it happens like it does, but I would have preferred it if the game ended with the two separated; ellie sacrificed, and Joel reluctantly defeated.

Agree about the giraffe scene, just mesmerising. A really mature game, in every sense of the word

Edited by imamazed at 23:47:30 19-06-2013
  • Frogofdoom 20 Jun 2013 07:49:57 801 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Im regretting not using the flamethrowers on the doctors at the end just to see what happpens.
  • imamazed 20 Jun 2013 09:34:40 5,453 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used a bow and arrow, couldn't bring myself to use a gun
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2013 09:36:48 31,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't kill them. You fucking murderers!

Anyway, finished last night. Superb game. The bit where you play as Ellie hunting the deer was exceptional. Unexpected but felt completely "right", loved it. I did a little gasp..
  • FabricatedLunatic 20 Jun 2013 09:52:28 12,955 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The ending exceeded my expectations in every way. I'd been expecting Joel to die at the end, and was practically convinced that would happen once I took control of Ellie. It was as if the game was foreshadowing a future in which Ellie could, and would have to, take care of herself.

Instead we got a final act and an ending with a degree of moral ambiguity. I'd like to think I'd have done the same Joel; if I had choice between someone I cared about and humanity, fuck humanity. Not to mention that Ellie probably didn't know that her contribution to a possible cure meant the end of her life.

I also love how Joel isn't your typical hero. We know that he was a hunter and he practically admitted killing innocents, then there was his Taken-esque torture and killing of David's goons and actions in the hospital. It made for a more interesting and complex character.

Edited by FabricatedLunatic at 09:55:48 20-06-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Jun 2013 09:57:11 13,808 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had some dust I'm my eye a couple of times ;-)
    When Joel is driving at the end...before we see Ellie lying in the back...that was tense stuff
    I would have totally saved her.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 20 June 2013 09:59:37
    Yeah i killed the main surgeon, but the others i let live. Good headshot too.
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2013 09:59:44 31,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think he should have told her the truth at the end, personally. I would have fessed up. Maybe not to killing Marlene, that would not have gone down well.
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2013 10:00:43 31,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Yeah i killed the main surgeon, but the others i let live. Good headshot too.
    Oh really? I shanked him in the neck with a scalpel, I thought it was a cut scene though? I did not seem to have control at that point?
  • imamazed 20 Jun 2013 10:00:54 5,453 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really wouldn't have saved her (and that's not to say I wasn't moved by the relationship of the main two characters; on the contrary I loved their development from reluctant to closed off and finally to committed to each other) because I'm very much a humanist.

But I think that's another reason why this game is so great; it illicits this sort of polarised opinion and is very very grey in terms of morals.
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Jun 2013 10:05:48 13,808 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think for me Ellie was my 7 year old daughter, so I would kill anyone who hurt her, no matter the greater cause.

• imamazed 20 Jun 2013 10:08:37 5,453 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeh I appreciate you might feel very different if you've actually had kids, that's a fair point.

Of course, if we're talking exclusively about me here, I'd have given up and soon as I saw just how many guards there were!
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Jun 2013 10:16:58 13,808 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Of course, if we're talking exclusively about me here, I'd have given up and soon as I saw just how many guards there were!
    :)
    I took several down with the bombs and petrol bottles.
    I also did kill 2 out of the 3 Surgeons...my bad

• FabricatedLunatic 20 Jun 2013 10:29:08 12,955 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I think he should have told her the truth at the end, personally. I would have fessed up. Maybe not to killing Marlene, that would not have gone down well.
    I don't think he could have, really, after Ellie had just confessed her survivor's guilt. And if he had told the truth and Ellie wanted to go back, where would they go to? Marlene was dead and the Fireflies' numbers (including the medical staff) had been thinned out somewhat, meaning the whole "save humanity" plan would've hit a little snag :D
  • Page

of 13 First / Last