Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Page 2

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• ecureuil 31 Jul 2013 18:20:13 76,496 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    uglygamer wrote:
    EG preview

So, feel free to take with a pinch of salt the opinion of someone that works in an industry where contrariansim is heavily incentivised, but at this admittedly early stage PES looks to be, aside from all the whistles and baubles, a purer, more refined expression of the sport, at its simplest, than its moneyed rival. We've become adept at describing what's good about football games each year - perhaps it's about time we remembered what made them fun in the first place.
    It sounds great, I'm really looking forward to it. No next gen version is there? I'll probably go PC anyway.

Edited by ecureuil at 18:21:13 31-07-2013
  • Reacher 31 Jul 2013 18:27:14 691 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can't wait. :)
  • anon_ 1 Aug 2013 02:05:41 211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah yes. The annual "this could be PES' year!" claims.

Are Liverpool official sponsors by the way?!
  • Stockings 1 Aug 2013 03:11:49 1,027 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Last year was was PES' year for me, this looks like it will be again barring a disaster.
  • anon_ 1 Aug 2013 04:16:02 211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tbh, I briefly considered going for PES 13 as well. Mainly because I thought Fifa 13 was a tad too fast. Still kinda do tbh, but in the end its superior gameplay mechanics won out.

Thankfully, the word this year is that Fifa 14 is to be a slower, more thoughtful game, which should be make it an easier decision for me to make this time around...
  • Stockings 1 Aug 2013 07:16:00 1,027 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What are the superior gameplay mechanics?
    The passing and especially the shooting was better in PES 2013, the dribbling let it down for me, it wasn't instinctive.
    I'm interested to hear what you think the superior mehanics are in FIFA13
  • CharlieStCloud 1 Aug 2013 07:28:52 5,054 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am quite pleased they are giving it their all by focussing on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 instead of doing those two as well as their next newest respective consoles ... the FOX engine gives PES a new leash of life going by the trailers shown so far.

I like FIFA 2010 and played 2012 a fair bit round my friends however, I always find myself enjoying the Pro Evolution Soccer games quite a lot more, even though I know, in the back of my head, that FIFA strived to put more effort into their game than the PES team has in the last four or five years.

Is Seabass still there by the way?
  • THFourteen 1 Aug 2013 07:38:02 32,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stockings wrote:
    The passing and especially the shooting was better in PES 2013, the dribbling let it down for me, it wasn't instinctive.
    The colision detection and player "weights" and physics are much better in FIFA for me. Also the shooting in PES13 is terrible, its so floaty

But either way, i'll get both again this year, and the fact that there is no next gen FIFA on PC means i am looking forward to PES more than FIFA for the first time in years!

Edited by THFourteen at 07:38:29 01-08-2013
  • Frogofdoom 1 Aug 2013 07:47:35 869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    i will download the demo like i have for the past few years just to see, but they never seem like they will get back to the glory days.

They do need to slow fifa down though, it plays much better on slow game speed than default, as a result i havent bothered with the online this year.
  • Stockings 1 Aug 2013 16:25:18 1,027 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Stockings wrote:
    The colision detection and player "weights" and physics are much better in FIFA for me. Also the shooting in PES13 is terrible, its so floaty

But either way, i'll get both again this year, and the fact that there is no next gen FIFA on PC means i am looking forward to PES more than FIFA for the first time in years!
    I've heard a few people say this about the shooting, but I've never had a problem and think the shooting in 13 is better than it's ever been.
    Are people pressing shoot without any kind of context?
    You get power by simply initiating the shot when the ball is out of the players feet, the further away from the player the better.
    It's been like that since the PS2 days.
    If you desire a more lofty and floaty shot you initiate shooting when the ball is near you players feet.
    I spend the whole match in PES13 trying to hit screamers, it feels great.
    If they dumb down the shooting in 2014 because people wrongly complained about the shooting in 2013 I'll be very unhappy.
  • Feanor 1 Aug 2013 16:50:38 14,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do you think the ball had that heavy feeling like it did back in PES 5? When you caught a shot just right in that game it really flew off the player's boot.
  • killersrquiet 1 Aug 2013 16:58:20 1,844 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Definately agree shooting in most of the last few pes games has felt floaty and light. Even when timed right and the correct amount of power at times it felt loose.

Its one aspect i also expect to be improved this years since the game has been rebuilt from scratch.

Like Frogofdoom, judgment on either this or fifa will be held until i've played both demos. Pes 2013 was the first time in the right direction in years so im hopeful this is the year i can either stomach fifa or not bother at all.
  • Stockings 1 Aug 2013 17:24:16 1,027 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Feanor Yes, I've been hitting belters when it's set up for a belter.
    When I run on to a ball that has a bit of space between me and it, I power up the shot and it flies of the boot.

For the people complaining, it's their fault rather than the game's.
    There's loads of things wrong with 2013 but the shooting isn't one of them if you know what you're doing.
  • anon_ 1 Aug 2013 17:48:01 211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stockings wrote:
    Without wishing to derail the thread, in short, I find the physics and animations are better, leading to a more emergent, free-form game of football.

My one gripe is that the gameplay speed is too fast. If they keep the same mechanics intact in 14, but slow it down, I'll be satisfied.

Edited by anon_ at 17:48:41 01-08-2013
  • Stockings 1 Aug 2013 18:08:30 1,027 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kind of what I thought you'd say, which is why I asked.
    To me passing and shooting are the fundamentals of football so I'm more drawn to the game that's better in those key areas.
    Basically FIFA has better animations and better licenses and game modes, I can't think of anything else that's better.

I'm amazed that people think FIFA is a more emergent free-form game of football though, it almost reads like a press release.
    I admit I never played the demo much, but it seemed to be very fast counter attacking football with very easy long range shots.
    And if amazing physics is people bumping into eacother and falling over all the time fair enough.

Anyway I didn't even like PES2013 that much so I don;t know why I'm defending it so much lol.
    Probably because I think Konami will dumb down the best bits to please the casuals who prefer FIFA and it's shallow gameplay.
  • TheHammerite 2 Aug 2013 14:32:25 1,512 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pro Evo 5 was the best
  • ecureuil 2 Aug 2013 17:58:13 76,496 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just reading that EG preview, written by a FIFA player, and you can see that PES this year isn't just another "it's totally different this year, oh no it isn't" situation.

They actually do have a whole new engine for this. I think people should keep an open mind.

Also there's this to keep in mind:

Is it more realistic than FIFA, or previous versions? No. But I don't think realism is what matters here - people didn't love PES 5 and 6 because they were especially realistic. It's faster, it's slicker - it's simply more enjoyable.
  • anon_ 3 Aug 2013 04:23:49 211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ecureuil That last quote is fair enough, but I think it's worth pointing out that in its heyday, Pro Evo was credited for its more realistic take on the sport. So if in recent years some now prefer it because it's "faster, slicker and more enjoyable", that's cool, but that would appear to be a bit of a role reversal of what it previously stood for.

And I think the perspective of that Fifa player (who also previewed Fifa 14, and essentially said it's too slow and realistic) is that he prefers a more arcade approach... Each to their own.
  • freedumb 3 Aug 2013 06:56:27 1,110 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Player individuality (where the stats make a key difference on the pitch and distinguish players), movement physics (momentum and inertia), and tactical depth have always been in PES, whatever the reviewers say and despite general consensus.

FIFA is superficially better, has nicer animation transitions which give the appearance of 'fluidity' and is easier to pick up and play due to taking liberties with movement physics, which makes it feel 'fluid'. You can't decelerate, come to a stop, change direction, accelerate into another direction as easily irl than you can in FIFA. That is a key reason why it is too fast.

Pes has more clunky animation transitions and tries to simulate these movement physics which gives the appearance of it being more jerky and awkward and less fluid. PES is not a full sim itself but a mix between sim and arcade so it still caters for varying audiences, but its harder to get into and closer to real life than FIFA is imo.

I think the improved animation system in PES 2014 helps it visually.

Edited by freedumb at 07:03:02 03-08-2013
  • Reacher 3 Aug 2013 08:35:39 691 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've been playing both FIFA and PES for years now. The each have their own benefits.My mate and I tend to play the Master League on PES until we have exthausted it and won everything, then transfer over to FIFA after xmas and play that for the rest of the time.

There are aspects of each that I really like. I'm not overly keen on the goal scoring/shooting on FIFA though, but it plays well in other areas. PES is great , especially the right stick movement, but it's too easy these days.

I am really excited about the new engine etc though.
  • Nades 3 Aug 2013 22:45:51 1,036 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Haven't been this excited for a Football game in as long as I can remember. It looks so much better (don't know why people are saying it looks the same, it looks nothing alike the previous PES). Also they are putting so much more into this one too. Changing teams in ML so you can manage a different club or a national team, the weather effects the gameplay, edit mode is much better as now you can edit socks and shorts, improved online, 3rd kits, snow weather, around 100 player ID's, realistic shirt movement, and of course this new engine in general will completely overhaul the game and improve it. The animations look great, it looks smooth, and the passing and shooting look way better. Can't wait, just hope I'm not getting over-hyped and get let down.

Liverpool FC

• elephantjuice 9 Aug 2013 09:56:09 623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PC version of PES 2014 available for pre-order at Simply games for 21.85 courtesy of Savygamer
  • Nades 13 Aug 2013 10:01:09 1,036 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just heard there will be some PES 14 videos released by Konami this week, will show off some of the features like ball control, and some gameplay.

Liverpool FC

• Monsieur_Blade 13 Aug 2013 12:03:08 338 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nades wrote:
    Haven't been this excited for a Football game in as long as I can remember. It looks so much better (don't know why people are saying it looks the same, it looks nothing alike the previous PES). Also they are putting so much more into this one too. Changing teams in ML so you can manage a different club or a national team, the weather effects the gameplay, edit mode is much better as now you can edit socks and shorts, improved online, 3rd kits, snow weather, around 100 player ID's, realistic shirt movement, and of course this new engine in general will completely overhaul the game and improve it. The animations look great, it looks smooth, and the passing and shooting look way better. Can't wait, just hope I'm not getting over-hyped and get let down.
    I didn't know they were bringing in realistic shirt movement. I'm sold! ;)

In all seriousness though, I am really excited to try out the new Fox engine. I'm still playing pes 13 but there's something about it that seems so familiar and a little stale at times. I'm really hoping the new engine freshens things up.
  • Nades 13 Aug 2013 21:13:29 1,036 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's looking really good. I too am really looking forward to seeing how good the new engine is, I have high hopes for PES 14, just hope I don't get disappointed.

Liverpool FC

• Stockings 14 Aug 2013 00:45:00 1,027 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Advanced shooting looks interesting, the height isn't tied to the power bar any more it looks like.
    I always wanted to aim for a part of the net like the NHL games and it's finally here.
    Hopefully you still get contextual shots that are affected by organic parameters.
  • Nades 14 Aug 2013 00:51:59 1,036 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hopefully it'll make goal scoring feel varied and feel like you never score the same goal twice. Then again, I never feel that way about PES games anyway, it's my biggest hate about FIFA, it's like playing the same game and scoring the same goal every time I play a match.

Liverpool FC

• Futaba 14 Aug 2013 00:59:36 3,461 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This might finally be the year I dive back into football games, after 7 years without buying one.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Stockings 14 Aug 2013 01:05:38 1,027 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reactions to a playtest

LOL. I love the guys about halfway through who are talking while playing, you can tell it's a totally different ball-game.

This was from evoweb forum btw
  • Page

of 36 First / Last