To people who eat really spicy food Page 3

  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Jun 2013 13:20:49 35,849 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I eat very spicy food, often. I also own (and use) this:




    However, while this is allegedly the hottest sauce in the world, the hottest food I had was in an Indonesian restaurant. When I ordered it, the cook came out of the kitchen and asked if I was sure. And it was ridculously hot, it basically was a mixture of beef and chili - but here's the thing: no bum burning, at all. I honestly don't know why that is, but I guess it's a clever combination of spices.

    Since then, I think that every dish that burns twice was badly cooked, basically.

    Edited by UncleLou at 13:21:16 05-06-2013
  • TarickStonefire 5 Jun 2013 13:23:22 3,427 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I've done the "worlds hottest" hotdog. It was excruciating eating it - the second it touches your lips you break out in sweat, your eyes and nose water, and you get instant hiccups and shakes as your body goes into overdrive. Each of the 4 mouthfuls felt like swallowing glass, and it burns your skin a bit so I was left with a very red mouth.

    That was nothing compared to the day after which is easily the most painful day of my life to date. I would have taken myself to hospital to get stomach pumped had I been able to move. It was like pissing acid and shitting lava. My stomach hurt, walking hurt because of the movement of your arse cheeks and I had to keep checking I wasn't pissing myself because it was all numb down there from the fire piss. Loo breaks were every 20 minutes for about 12 hours, and I dreaded every single one of them because it hurt so much. I was running wads of toilet paper under the cold tap before wiping.

    I don't do drunken food challenges anymore.
    That is very funny to read but I really sympathise. I thought I had it bad after a few too many chilli peppers on the pizza, the stomach pain and the couple of hours of really burny runs. Eurgh. But fuck me yours does sound genuinely horrific :(

    And hilarious. :D

    Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:24:05 05-06-2013

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • TarickStonefire 5 Jun 2013 13:26:01 3,427 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I eat very spicy food, often. I also own (and use) this:




    However, while this is allegedly the hottest sauce in the world, the hottest food I had was in an Indonesian restaurant. When I ordered it, the cook came out of the kitchen and asked if I was sure. And it was ridculously hot, it basically was a mixture of beef and chili - but here's the thing: no bum burning, at all. I honestly don't know why that is, but I guess it's a clever combination of spices.

    Since then, I think that every dish that burns twice was badly cooked, basically.
    Differently cooked, but not necessarily badly cooked. Maybe like you say that chef just knew how to complement the extreme amount of chilli with particular ingredients that don't lend themselves well to a chilli hot dog or a spicy pizza?

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • Deleted user 5 June 2013 13:48:53
    I do eat hot food but I can't remember the last time I had a ringstinger. I've either desensitised or I've started to learn which stuff hits me that way.

    I do find myself watching Man vs Food and wondering if the food he's crying over is really *that* bad :-)

    That's a different topic though. His toilet exploits after eating those 5lb sandwiches must be extreme enough to justify a show on their own
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Jun 2013 14:13:30 17,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I made a very hot madras curry last night, I haven't accidentally made one too spicy for a while but this was a humdinger, there has been no issues at all today. To be fair, I eat spicy food almost every night of the week so I guess I'm immune somewhat these days.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • f00b_inc 5 Jun 2013 14:21:15 708 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    I've done the "worlds hottest" hotdog. It was excruciating eating it - the second it touches your lips you break out in sweat, your eyes and nose water, and you get instant hiccups and shakes as your body goes into overdrive. Each of the 4 mouthfuls felt like swallowing glass, and it burns your skin a bit so I was left with a very red mouth.

    That was nothing compared to the day after which is easily the most painful day of my life to date. I would have taken myself to hospital to get stomach pumped had I been able to move. It was like pissing acid and shitting lava. My stomach hurt, walking hurt because of the movement of your arse cheeks and I had to keep checking I wasn't pissing myself because it was all numb down there from the fire piss. Loo breaks were every 20 minutes for about 12 hours, and I dreaded every single one of them because it hurt so much. I was running wads of toilet paper under the cold tap before wiping.

    I don't do drunken food challenges anymore.
    That is very funny to read but I really sympathise. I thought I had it bad after a few too many chilli peppers on the pizza, the stomach pain and the couple of hours of really burny runs. Eurgh. But fuck me yours does sound genuinely horrific :(

    And hilarious. :D
    Just read this in the office and couldn't stop laughing..! Sounds horrible :-(
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Jun 2013 14:24:05 17,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually, the only time I do get a dodgy stomach, excessive gas and a burning sensation is jalapeños on pizzas. Odd really as they're not even really that hot.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 14:26:18 44,948 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm taking on six wings at the Red Dog saloon on Hoxton Sq in two weeks. 20 mins to eat them all. I've tried the sauce before and it's fucking brutal.

    But still, free T-shirt and my picture on the wall...

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Derblington 5 Jun 2013 15:28:42 22,272 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    I do eat hot food but I can't remember the last time I had a ringstinger. I've either desensitised or I've started to learn which stuff hits me that way.

    I do find myself watching Man vs Food and wondering if the food he's crying over is really *that* bad :-)

    That's a different topic though. His toilet exploits after eating those 5lb sandwiches must be extreme enough to justify a show on their own
    I got back from a road trip across the US last week. I went to a couple of the places he's done challenges at :)

    I was tempted to do the 72 oz steak at the Big Texan. I could actually do it, but figured it was smarter not to when driving the next day. It's the recovery that's the problem.
  • Deleted user 5 June 2013 15:31:22
    Bought some dried ghost peppers off an Amazon trader. Essentially they constitute Police riot grade Mace :D
  • THFourteen 5 Jun 2013 15:31:57 34,458 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    I feel your pain :( I find immodium and eggs can stop it to some extent, but you're gonna have to ride it out.
    EGGS?

    You shove EGGS up your arse to stop ring sting?
  • Tom_Servo 5 Jun 2013 15:35:00 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As far as curries go, I thought you only became unwell the next day if the spices haven't been cooked properly.
  • elstoof 5 Jun 2013 15:46:00 8,303 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Milk helps to prevent the capsaicinoids from binding with pain receptors on your skin, so the most obvious solution would involve 4 pints of milk and a turkey baster. A real man would give himself a post curry lactate enema without a second thought.
  • billythekid 5 Jun 2013 16:04:58 11,394 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    .

    Edited by billythekid at 11:52:46 06-06-2013
  • imamazed 5 Jun 2013 16:30:05 5,949 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @THFourteen Don't knock it till you've tried it.
  • mal 5 Jun 2013 16:46:33 22,826 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    As far as curries go, I thought you only became unwell the next day if the spices haven't been cooked properly.
    I'm not aware of any spices that need to be cooked to stop them making you ill. I know some spices must be added early to give them time to infuse, and some mustn't be put in too early as they'll burn and denature.

    I'd have thought the other ingredients improperly cooked would be more likely to give you the squits.

    Also, I guess people can build up specific gut flora, and eating significantly different food for the first time in a while could change the environment significantly enough to have a detrimental effect on the population at least temporatily. But curry really isn't that foreign a concept - onions, lentils, tomato, bit of meat and only a percent or two by weight of spices at most, I'd have thought. Shouldn't be that much of a shock to anyone with an even a vaguely balanced diet.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • EMarkM 5 Jun 2013 17:14:40 3,421 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You guys need to read:-

    http://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/
  • mrpon 5 Jun 2013 17:21:19 29,555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado is the resident spice expert, we need to ask him if he's ever had a sore arse.

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • neilka 5 Jun 2013 17:44:28 16,526 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    You guys need to read:-

    http://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/
    This is incredible.

    BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

  • Razz 5 Jun 2013 17:46:11 61,650 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I hda an Ethiopian Curry fom Greenwich market a few weeks back. Not hugely spicy and all was going well until that evening, where halfway through the film I received an urgent warning and lost about 5 stone to the toilet in no more than 30 seconds.
    Genuine LOL :D
    :D +1 only because I know that pain, but I tell you what, afterwards you feel like an athlete.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • elstoof 5 Jun 2013 17:54:08 8,303 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In what sport, exactly?
  • wobbly_Bob 5 Jun 2013 17:54:28 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great thread! I really like spicy food and chilli but have to admit I'm a bit of a wimp. A madras is more than enough for me.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Jun 2013 17:54:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @neilka that thread is amazing
  • drip 5 Jun 2013 17:59:30 4,637 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never had problems with bumfire, but my stomach really doesn't like the extreme stuff. And since peoples who only eat chilis seem to have a high rate of stomach cancer, I think I should take that as a warning.
  • mal 5 Jun 2013 21:26:27 22,826 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have you got a reference for that stat? Genuinely interested.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • Deleted user 5 June 2013 21:29:53
    yeah tbh. Thought it was healthy.
  • Syrette 5 Jun 2013 21:35:15 44,208 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I doubt a bird has the intelligence to relate a slightly hot arsehole, with the food they ate 8 hours before.
    You sexist twat.

  • spamdangled 5 Jun 2013 21:37:09 27,441 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Have you got a reference for that stat? Genuinely interested.
    Quick check says there's no clear evidence either way.

    Wikipedia alert!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin#Effects_of_dietary_consumption

    Edited by darkmorgado at 21:38:42 05-06-2013

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Deleted user 5 June 2013 21:40:09
    If the correlation was formed within western culture I would be thinking about the oil and congealed butter that takeaway indian food is cooked in more than the chillis themselves.
  • mal 5 Jun 2013 21:41:52 22,826 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm mainly asking because most of the digging I've done seems to keep turning up the 1993 Mexico survey, and as far as I can tell no one's been able to reproduce that result, and besides their methods are a little bit iffy (asking people in hospital with stomach cancer whether they ate chili), especially if you try to extrapolate from it.

    Edit: @DarkMorgado Ta. Yes, that seems to agree with what I've found via my own google-fu.

    Edited by mal at 21:54:43 05-06-2013

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

Log in or register to reply