Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 137

• Page

of 145 First / Last

• drhcnip 27 Aug 2017 08:10:20 5,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    you can see where the series is going, trying to expand on the arrowhead stuff...i much preferred the film, being one of those who loved the ending of it...some of the 'mist' stuff was half-decent but it was the epitome of poor/average stephen king mini-series stuff, filled with cliches and some bizarre story choices...fab4 mentioned as if it;d been written by a bunch of teenagers and that's not far wrong, i suppose - almost like a bad bit of fan-fic/film-making...the pilot isn;t totally representative, though, as that's fucking awful...
  • Fab4 4 Sep 2017 18:25:38 8,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The series of Suburra looks interesting. Looks like a Roman Gomorrah.

• Frogofdoom 4 Sep 2017 18:32:42 6,120 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There is a film of it already on there rating 7.4. Going to give it a watch.

I fucking love Gamorrah so if it's anywhere near as good I will be hooked.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 18:33:35 04-09-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Sep 2017 18:58:18 4,717 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    I don't get why there's even a series of The Mist. The film was all very self contained, it certainly didn't need expanding on.

Plus the trailer looked like utter shit.
    i turned on netflix today and saw it and thought the exact same thing, film was a good wee film. dont see any point in a series like this.
    It's very different to the film, although it does have a look that screams "TV adaptation of Stephen King". There just seems to be a level of second tier big-ish budget that his work exists on when its on TV.
  • onestepfromlost 4 Sep 2017 23:11:33 2,631 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    I don't get why there's even a series of The Mist. The film was all very self contained, it certainly didn't need expanding on.

Plus the trailer looked like utter shit.
    i turned on netflix today and saw it and thought the exact same thing, film was a good wee film. dont see any point in a series like this.
    It's very different to the film, although it does have a look that screams "TV adaptation of Stephen King". There just seems to be a level of second tier big-ish budget that his work exists on when its on TV.
    is it worth bothering with at all?
  • drhcnip 5 Sep 2017 06:06:46 5,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @onestepfromlost

if you're a fan of turn of the century era king adaptations (i'm thinking rose red/storm of the century here) it's...er....ok

we watched the whole thing....there are a few decent parts but a lot of filler and it's all a bit cheap...the worst bit is the pilot, we nearly gave up at that point but it did improve...a little...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Sep 2017 12:36:46 4,717 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @onestepfromlost it's basically all the non-action bits of the early seasons of Walking Dead.

I'm enjoying it more as it goes on.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Sep 2017 12:38:06 4,717 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Has anyone checked out Final Fantasy XIV: Daddy of Light yet?
  • nickthegun 7 Sep 2017 21:56:43 71,924 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TOAST FANS: I decided to watch through toast again and am on episode 4. The episode should open with the 'FIRE. THE NUCLEAR. WEAPONS' right?

Weirdly, they have edited it out and replaced it with 'YES' again.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Sep 2017 22:25:56 6,120 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Completely unimportant but my Mrs works with Clem Fandango's brother.

I loved toast, it took me probably half a season to get into but it's bloody funny.
  • JamesUK 8 Sep 2017 00:16:13 630 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished watching "Five Came Back" the other day. It's a 3 part doc series about 5 Hollywood directors who volunteer to serve in WW2 and covers the work they did before, during and after the war. They work as filmakers during the war, documenting it and making propaganda films. Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielberg, Paul Greengrass, Lawrence Kasdan and Guillermo Del Toro do talking head stuff and John Huston, Frank Capra, William Wyler, John Ford and George Stevens are the WW2 directors.

Icarus is a good watch. Starts out with the filmaker conducting an experiment about the impact doping can have on his own performance. Then the Russian doping scandal blows up and its focus shifts to cover that.
  • Fab4 8 Sep 2017 18:58:16 8,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    007:Spectre is up. Not seen it, so not a recommendation as such :)
  • Addy_B 8 Sep 2017 20:30:42 1,676 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    The wife has never watched Breaking Bad apart from glancing at the odd one I watched in the past so I've restarted that with the wife. She loved the pilot :) Im kind of excited for her knowing how the quality is consistently high all the way through and reminiscening about certain episodes.
  • nickthegun 8 Sep 2017 20:35:13 71,924 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The new Marc Maron standup is good. Would recommend.
  • TheSaint 9 Sep 2017 00:42:25 17,402 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    New Bojak \o/
  • super_whiskey 9 Sep 2017 06:48:34 200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    TOAST FANS: I decided to watch through toast again and am on episode 4. The episode should open with the 'FIRE. THE NUCLEAR. WEAPONS' right?

That not only sets up the whole episode but also is one of my favourite studio recordings!
  • nickthegun 9 Sep 2017 07:24:07 71,924 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that was the next episode. I think I had extreme déjà vu or there was a glitch in the matrix.
  • Dougs 9 Sep 2017 08:14:38 83,760 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Random
  • Youthist 11 Sep 2017 07:42:55 12,861 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone seen that Confession Tapes yet? First double parter about the Canadian triple murder. Was good.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2017 20:47:08 11,012 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just watched the second part now. Poor fuckers didn't do it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2017 16:17:55 4,717 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Good horror recommendations please

Atmospheric rather than jump-scares preferably
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2017 17:03:17 83,760 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Fog! Well, it's atmospheric both literally and in tone!
  • JamesUK 14 Sep 2017 00:15:24 630 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Wailing is very good.
  • Negan 14 Sep 2017 00:26:29 312 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Anyone seen that Confession Tapes yet? First double parter about the Canadian triple murder. Was good.
    That's on the list. Ever since making a murderer I'm always on the hunt for stuff like this.
  • mrpon 14 Sep 2017 11:46:53 33,722 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Absolutely loving this, up to Season 2 Ep 6. Colin Skittles, I almost lost a lung laughing. His face :D
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2017 11:49:49 11,012 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I've been watching it too, it's a little one note but I've lolled a good few times.
  • DukeSilver 14 Sep 2017 12:05:01 2,419 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm several episodes into the Confession Tapes. I'm not quite as gripped as I was with Making a Murderer but it's good so far. The first crime is a two part episode and the following have all been single episodes, so maybe that's why I don't have that urge to binge watch to get a conclusion.

A related crime documentary is Casting JonBenet. I wasn't very familiar with the murder so it ended up a bit strange to watch. It's got great reviews though. It'a about an unsolved 90s murder of a six-year-old beauty pageant girl where there's a ransom note but the parents were the prime suspects.

There's also an animated documentary called Tower with voices of people involved about the 1966 University of Texas clock tower shooting. That was very well done. Interesting but sad.
  • richarddavies 14 Sep 2017 12:12:34 6,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EDIT: On about Toast.

Same here, been going through it again. just finished last night. Laughed my arse off at the one where Toast tries directing the calendar girls play.

I could just watch a full show of him in the recording booth.

"Hi it's Clem Fandango, can you hear me?"

Edited by richarddavies at 12:13:05 14-09-2017
  • Page

of 145 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.