Nook Simple Touch 29.00 Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• mrpon 2 May 2013 14:12:00 28,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Topcashback now offering 9% cashback on these.

Source

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Murbal 2 May 2013 14:14:33 21,840 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought one last night for my wife. Forgot to use Quidco. Doh! Still, that was a noble thing to do, right? I could have bought Soul Sacrifice with that money ;-)
  • INSOMANiAC 2 May 2013 17:59:20 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks like I'm getting 2... I I ordered one and it said there was a payment problem so I reordered, then I get an email sayng my first payment went through... excellent..

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• BeebleB 2 May 2013 18:31:50 860 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    just purchased this for 10dollars...looks like a fair amount of bang for my buck too.

http://storybundle.com/
  • YenRug 3 May 2013 14:07:04 1,999 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BeebleB wrote:
    just purchased this for 10dollars...looks like a fair amount of bang for my buck too.

http://storybundle.com/
    Nabbed, although my Nook is still awaiting dispatch.
  • LeoliansBro 3 May 2013 14:07:36 43,010 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Looks like I'm getting 2... I I ordered one and it said there was a payment problem so I reordered, then I get an email sayng my first payment went through... excellent..
    Exactly the same happened to me.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• crispyduckman 3 May 2013 16:27:39 1,856 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm... just been playing around with my Nook Simple Touch. Definitely not as good as my Kindle 3rd gen. Thank God the Nook is touch screen, because the hardware buttons are terrible. Still, for 30, it works as a backup device.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• mrpon 3 May 2013 16:36:13 28,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some chancer is selling one on eBay for.....182 buy it now!

The front on some people :rolleyes:

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Whizzo 3 May 2013 16:40:36 43,016 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Google Play being added to the HD/HD+ was final push for me to pick up an HD+, been wanting a decent sized tablet for a while and a nine inch one for the price of a Nexus 7 was too tempting.

This space left intentionally blank.

• crispyduckman 3 May 2013 17:11:23 1,856 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Google Play being added to the HD/HD+ was final push for me to pick up an HD+, been wanting a decent sized tablet for a while and a nine inch one for the price of a Nexus 7 was too tempting.
    The HD+ looks pretty good to me. I heard at launch it was very laggy but they might have fixed that now with software updates. If not, you could always just stick a custom ROM on there, which is probably a good thing to do with any tablet tbh.

• INSOMANiAC 4 May 2013 00:29:34 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So they send me an email saying its shipped then 4 hours later saying there's a mistake and its out of stock. Useless twats. Fuck em

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 4 May 2013 16:16:02
    Yup, exactly the same here. Bloody annoying and stinks of a lazy publicity drive.
  • Whizzo 4 May 2013 16:24:40 43,016 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:The HD+ looks pretty good to me. I heard at launch it was very laggy but they might have fixed that now with software updates. If not, you could always just stick a custom ROM on there, which is probably a good thing to do with any tablet tbh.
    That was my thinking, I'll give it a go as is but now with access to everything on Google Play without rooting but I can always root if I want a bit of real customisation.

Edited by Whizzo at 16:25:03 04-05-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• El_MUERkO 4 May 2013 16:33:25 16,941 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got a Nook Glowlight, great for reading in bed.
  • mal 4 May 2013 16:39:44 22,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    So they send me an email saying its shipped then 4 hours later saying there's a mistake and its out of stock. Useless twats. Fuck em
    Odd. I checked the website yesterday on my phone when I saw the advert in t'Metro, and it said out of stock then.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 4 May 2013 19:37:05
    mowgli wrote:
    Yup, exactly the same here. Bloody annoying and stinks of a lazy publicity drive.
    Probably more the HotUKDeals vultures buying up dozens at a time to sell them on, draining all the stock.
  • INSOMANiAC 4 May 2013 21:36:20 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mine is out with DHL I've tracked it to the UK so Im assuming its the one that they fucked the payment up with, either way looks like its en route!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• GrandpaUlrira 4 May 2013 21:54:41 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So does the out of stock thing mean that we're not getting them or that we have to wait? Because if it's the former then I'm even more annoyed that they cancelled my first order.
  • INSOMANiAC 4 May 2013 22:00:43 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well my out of stock email basically said 'sorry we've got non but we've got loads of the more expensive ones if you want to buy one of those!'

Thanks...

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• mal 4 May 2013 22:25:08 22,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    So does the out of stock thing mean that we're not getting them or that we have to wait? Because if it's the former then I'm even more annoyed that they cancelled my first order.
    It's a promotional special, I'm guessing - based on the heavy advertising and the way the advert was worded (which I can't recall off the top of my head).

Why did they cancel your first order, out of interest?

• GrandpaUlrira 4 May 2013 23:35:08 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They said that I needed to reconfirm the credit card details. The link they sent me didn't work, and their support 'fix' was to cancel the order rather than let me update it.
  • mal 4 May 2013 23:46:47 22,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, that's a fucker then.

• GrandpaUlrira 5 May 2013 00:22:32 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah well, we'll see how it goes.
  • INSOMANiAC 7 May 2013 15:35:52 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ok well mines arrived, immediate first impressions - dont like the form factor it seems too square, dont like the ridges in the back, its much heavier than my kindle as well, seems sturdier built though.
    The side buttons are shite, they are 90% dead zone you have to press them right in the middle to make them click.

Doesnt work out of the box, had it on charge for ten minutes and it still wont turn on but I'll give it a bit longer

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 15:43:01 07-05-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 7 May 2013 16:23:39 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Second impressions, utter utter terrible piece of shit. Heres the kind of image I get just before the page refreshes

Fucking images wont work now!
    It must be a faulty unit as I think if everyone was getting that they wouldnt sell many of these things. Also, you can see lines running across the back of the page and even on a fully refreshed page the text is nowhere near as clear as the kindle, the button are as shit as I suspected, despite having forward and back page on one side so you can hold it one handed, the dead zones are so big you need to hold with your other hand in order to move your thumb down to press page back, ridiculous.

Also it only has 250mb of memory usable.

Avoid!

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 16:24:04 07-05-2013

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 16:24:50 07-05-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• crispyduckman 8 May 2013 01:03:48 1,856 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC You've definitely got a faulty one. I mentioned the buttons being crap further up the page but the screen is just as good as my 3rd gen kindle. The buttons actually loosen up a bit with use and end up being bearable, although not as good as the kindle. I'm not too fussed about the 250mb memory myself. What infuriates me though is the inability to email files to the device like you can with the kindle. The device has wifi so why the hell do I have to plug in USB every time I want to put a book on there?

Still, I feel much more comfortable using this in the bath instead of my kindle.

• INSOMANiAC 8 May 2013 01:11:32 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crispyduckman so would I because if I dropped it I wouldn't give a shit ha. I have the basic kindle and it's lighter and has a better form factor (IMO). I reset the nook a few times and the screen got considerably better but to be honest it's still not up there with the kindle and I don't even like way you get definitions up by holding the word then pressing 'look up' the definition is not very legible. The refresh rate and the processor is worse than the kindle as well, taking three or four seconds to open a book which doesn't seem long but it is when you're used to instantaneous. And that's with one book on there!

Other stuff ill whinge about;
    The 'home' page, basically an advert
    Can't email stuff over
    Feels heavy

For 30 quid it's sufficient and it'll do the job for someone but as you may have guessed I think the kindle pisses all over it to be honest, even without a touchscreen.
    Those nook buttons really are pathetic, I read a lot of reviews and not one mentioned them.

I'm going to give mine to my mate

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Rhythm 8 May 2013 12:24:11 2,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmm, your review's making me think I shouldn't bother with mine when it shows up. Might throw it straight back to Nook.

Rather fortuitously WH Smith have responded to this Nook onslaught by offering 20 off any Nook in store. Might grab the daughter a Kobo Mini instead. Will be the same price and she'll be able to get library books too
  • INSOMANiAC 8 May 2013 12:33:10 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well bear in mind,
    mine might be slightly faulty,
    I'm a fussy twat
    Im used to the kindle
    This is only 30 quid

A hell of a lot of people have good things to say about it so it seem I'm in the minority

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• El_MUERkO 8 May 2013 13:27:54 16,941 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mine works like a dream though it's a glowlight one I bought off ebay for 60.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last