Wii U Virtual Console Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• neosalad 13 May 2013 01:10:39 953 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Do Nintendo allow you to choose running the game in 50hz or 60hz, or do you only get the 60hz? I only Balloon Fight and Sonic the Hedgehog in 50hz, using the mystical magic of yousetubies, but I imagine its not quite as accurate as the real thing.

Still it was pretty shocking. Did something feel off back then, or is it something that was introduced only when emulating the old consoles and PAL TVs made up somehow for 50hz difference? Sonic wasn't actually all that fast in the 50hz version I saw, everything was like it was running in slight slow motion.
    Don't think so...
    MOST PAL NES Sms, MD, SNES, Playstation games etc
    Ran 17% slower, plus had borders top and bottom...
    I used to hate it... Compared to NTSC versions at full speed..

There was the odd time a Pal version was decent though..

Dunno why Nintendo don't let us have proper 60hz versions in PAL land though...

Edited by neosalad at 01:12:18 13-05-2013
  • Raiko101 13 May 2013 13:29:50 6,318 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So far, the only games that aren't 60hz are games that have been made available for 30p, but haven't been released properly. That's Balloon Fight, Kirby's Adventure and now Super Metroid. However, Nintendo gave reasons for Super Metroid being in 50hz.

This is the European version of the game, which was optimised originally by the developer to offer gameplay and music speed similar to the US version. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release.
    Edited by Raiko101 at 13:30:02 13-05-2013

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 16 May 2013 21:10:00 10,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Erm what's up with needing to have either German or French text in Super Metrod? Not good...
  • neilka 16 May 2013 21:15:13 15,991 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And it's 50Hz. Nintendo are essentially the confused elderly grandmother of gaming and the pillow over the face is long overdue.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Raiko101 16 May 2013 21:57:05 6,318 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's the standard PAL version. For what it's worth, the German only pops up at the beginning and end of the game and the game itself runs very similar to the 60hz version as it was one of a few titles to have been properly tuned up before it's PAL release.

Edit - Apparently there is no difference in gameplay/music speed between the PAL and NTSC versions of the game. They've also fixed the screen ratio in this particular version, so the foreign languages is the only difference between this and the 60hz version.

Edited by Raiko101 at 22:00:14 16-05-2013

• JinTypeNoir 17 May 2013 03:17:06 4,392 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    y cant Metroid crawl

:eek:
  • Red_Bool 17 May 2013 07:34:34 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    y cant Metroid crawl

:eek:
    noobs ;)

I was actually stuck initially at the red doors when the missile I just got wouldn't open them (stuck as in: "Reload, I must have done something stupid" - I've only played the GBA Metroids) - turned out they need 5 missiles to open them (but I figured that out eventually :))

Plays beautifully through the gamepad (but I'm forcing myself not to use the quick-save feature - it doesn't feel 'proper')

And while playing I remembered I still need to finish Metroid Prime 3 (:redface:) - might try that again this weekend to see how it looks on the Wii U.

I'm also thinking about getting SMW, but I still have the original SNES cart (NTSC even) - it does save me the hassle of setting the SNES up plus I can play when the missus claims the TV....ah..decisions

BTW: anybody tried Super Ghouls & Ghosts? I remember it being bastard hard when it got out on the SNES.
  • CharlieStCloud 17 May 2013 08:08:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    BTW: anybody tried Super Ghouls & Ghosts? I remember it being bastard hard when it got out on the SNES.
    ... it still is 'bastard hard' to this very day!

Super Metroid for 30p is great.
  • binky Moderator 17 May 2013 08:28:53 9,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I... I have a confession. I couldn't remember how to activate the morphball once I got it. There's no manual, there was no on-screen wotsit. Noobface.
  • DFawkes 17 May 2013 09:52:38 22,987 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't the manual in-game, when you hit Home? Should be. I haven't looked specifically in Super Metroid, but I thought all games did.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Oceanstar 17 May 2013 10:30:06 114 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    binky wrote:
    I... I have a confession. I couldn't remember how to activate the morphball once I got it. There's no manual, there was no on-screen wotsit. Noobface.
    Me too! Cant figure it out.

And no, there isnt a manual. I checked

NNID: Oceanstar

• JiveHound 17 May 2013 10:31:09 2,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Super Metroid is absolutely glorious and I'm looking forward to G 'n' G but why SMB2 before the first?

Seems barmy to me?

Looks like my Wii U is going to become a museum for all my past heyday snes glories.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• binky Moderator 17 May 2013 10:31:25 9,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I did remember it by the way.
    Double tap down.
  • daz_john_smith 17 May 2013 19:33:53 1,636 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oceanstar wrote:
    binky wrote:

All games and software on Wii U have digital manuals.

While running any game / software, hit the home button then select manual (lower right Gamepad) and it will bring up the manual for that piece of software / game.

Exceptions to this are the Miiverse, eShop and Internet Browser, which for some reason have their manuals accessible elsewhere in their respective apps, possibly because pressing the home button automatically exits these apps.
  • the_dudefather 17 May 2013 19:47:38 9,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Don't worry, you're not alone

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Red_Bool 17 May 2013 23:47:28 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    daz_john_smith wrote:
    Oceanstar wrote:
    binky wrote:

All games and software on Wii U have digital manuals.

While running any game / software, hit the home button then select manual (lower right Gamepad) and it will bring up the manual for that piece of software / game.

Exceptions to this are the Miiverse, eShop and Internet Browser, which for some reason have their manuals accessible elsewhere in their respective apps, possibly because pressing the home button automatically exits these apps.
    I checked: the manual you get is for the Virtual Console itself, not for the game that you're playing on it.
  • Raiko101 18 May 2013 01:24:46 6,318 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Red_Bool Are you sure you're looking in the right place? I've just checked myself and the manual is definitely there. It tells you what all the buttons do and how to perform all the moves, including how to enter the morph ball, on page 3.

• Red_Bool 18 May 2013 08:43:24 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Raiko101 - Then I must be looking in the wrong place: I press Home and then select the user manual (the green book with the question mark). I can't see anything specific about Metroid (?)
  • Raiko101 18 May 2013 08:54:17 6,318 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Have you got the game running up in the background? I think you get an overall Wii U manual if you're not running any software.

• Wolves1877 21 May 2013 14:17:13 405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Have you got the game running up in the background? I think you get an overall Wii U manual if you're not running any software.
    That's correct, You need to have the game loaded to view the manual.

• Red_Bool 21 May 2013 17:22:02 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wolves1877 wrote:
    Raiko101 wrote:
    That's correct, You need to have the game loaded to view the manual.
    Ok, here's my theory why I can't view the manual: My console language is set to Dutch (I'm from Holland and my kids use it as well) and I suspect that the Metroid manual is available in English (and perhaps German & French) only so they don't show it at all.

When I get the chance I'll try and see what happens when I set the language to English.

(not that I need the manual, but still it's bugging me a bit...need to know :))
  • Bananazniper 21 May 2013 19:21:34 628 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Raiko101 21 May 2013 19:42:00 6,318 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Let us know how it goes. Would be rather stupid if it were a language problem.

• Luckyjim 21 May 2013 21:07:22 2,873 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been playing Super Metroid all afternoon. First time I've played it since 1994 (or there abouts). Was fully prepared for rose-tinted disappointment. Anything but. I'm amazed by how truly brilliant it still is, in particular the level design.

I really don't think today's games will have the same longevity.
  • Raiko101 21 May 2013 21:22:34 6,318 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's my all-time favourite game. You just can't fault it. We'll perhaps the wall jumping could have been improved. Besides that though, it's an amazing game.

I would be playing it right now, but i've dug my heels into Ghouls & Ghosts. It's so hard. I've avoided using save states and it has taken me the best part of two hours to reach the third stage!

• Red_Bool 21 May 2013 22:32:24 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Turns out my theory is correct. When I change the language to English there's a whole extra section in the manual for the Super Metrod controls, map screen, etc. This is completely missing when I select Dutch...

If I recall correctly the original manuals in the SNES era only were in English, German, French and perhaps Spanish / Italian. That might explain why there is no Dutch version (there's no source material), but then they should at least show the English version (but the software will probably do a "if system language doesn't match, show nothing" instead of showing a default language, which I would have preferred).

It's too bad really as I was impressed with the localised digital manuals on my 3DS. Especially the one for Fire Emblem is very good.

Btw, it takes over a minute to change the language on the gamepad :D
  • JiveHound 22 May 2013 10:36:54 2,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    Been playing Super Metroid all afternoon. First time I've played it since 1994 (or there abouts). Was fully prepared for rose-tinted disappointment. Anything but. I'm amazed by how truly brilliant it still is, in particular the level design.

I really don't think today's games will have the same longevity.
    Yup, like Mario World, it's not just a nostalgic dabbling. I intend to play both through to completion.

I hope the WiiU becomes the definitive Nintendo archive.

Anyone know what's incoming this week?

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• DFawkes 22 May 2013 11:13:24 22,987 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kirby's Dream Course and Kirby Super Star are tomorrows Virtual Console picks, 5.49 each. I'll definitely have Super Star, as I love Kirby platformers, though I'll probably wait until I've done Amazing Mirror on 3DS first.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• roz123 1 Jun 2013 12:28:24 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Completed Super Metroid this morning for the first time in 10+ years, probably my favourite 2D game of all time. absolutely fantastic game that is as enjoyable now as it was then. if you have a Wii U you must pick this up before the 30p deal ends
  • Raiko101 11 Jun 2013 19:00:33 6,318 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just a heads up, but Mega Man 2, 3 and 4 have all just hit the eShop.

• Page

of 4 First / Last