Best sweetener Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• kalel 22 Apr 2013 15:35:51 86,904 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    What's the deal with the butter/marge thing?

I've eaten margarine all my life; just because I don't like the tatse of butter.
    Basically they get some oils out of corn or whatever, and do loads of nasty shit to them involving emulsifiers and bleaching. It's totally gross.
  • ZuluHero 22 Apr 2013 15:36:54 4,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This isn't the same as pasteurisation, remember, just the break down of fat in the milk to even out the consistency and stops the fat from separating.

Personally I'm not sure I mind my milk being in harmony (thanks for that meme :)) there isn't enough evidence either way.
  • Alastair 22 Apr 2013 15:41:18 15,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DigitalDelay wrote:
    Know why? Because whereas a company might need a mountain of sugar to make their drinks, they only need a tiny ammount of chemicals as a substitute. Many though have been linked to cancer etc... so it's just another simple case of their profit before our health! Sick.
    I remember learning at uni, probably in toxicology lectures, that saccharine had been shown to cause cancer in lab rats, and thus required congress to pass a bill in order to allow it on sale.
    Actually I've looked it up - congress required specific labelling on foods and additional studies. Those additional studies showed that the mechanism of action doesn't exist in humans, so saccharine was delisted in 2000.
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

Same link also suggests that there's no clear evidence to link sweeteners on sale in US to cancer.

Not as nice as I used to be

• imamazed 22 Apr 2013 15:46:29 5,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    What's the deal with the butter/marge thing?

I've eaten margarine all my life; just because I don't like the tatse of butter.
    Basically they get some oils out of corn or whatever, and do loads of nasty shit to them involving emulsifiers and bleaching. It's totally gross.
    Hmmm yeh, I'm not turning to butter any time soon, so I'll leave it at that!

With regards to sweeteners and cancer and the like, I heard similar rumblings about aspartame years ago. I switched from diet to full fat coke for like, 4 years. I drink quite a lot of the stuff, as I don't drink hot drinks, and realised recently just how much sugar I was consuming. A lot of the stuff on aspartame is unverified, so I'm tentatively going back to diet coke, but I'm not really sure. If I don't drink that I literally only drink water, which gets boring.
  • kalel 22 Apr 2013 15:49:41 86,904 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Everything gives you cancer.

You'll go mad trying to avoid it, but again, if health is a worry to you, you can't go massively wrong avoiding processed food imho. I'm not an organic freak by any means but there are huge correlations between cancer, obesity and all manner of awfulness, and processed food.
  • ZuluHero 22 Apr 2013 15:53:31 4,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cancer aside, artificial sweeteners apparently trigger your body's craving response for more sugar, even though you haven't really had any (because you're fooling it into thinking you have) so unless you have really really strong will-power your either going to be reaching for the snacks or drinking and eating more artificial sweeteners to stem the craving.
  • Whizzo 22 Apr 2013 15:53:37 43,088 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm a Hermesetas user, it means I can make a cup of tea at work without having to use a spoon.

Pyramid bags and really heat resistant fingertips helps a lot too.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 22 April 2013 15:54:05
    kalel wrote:
    Everything gives you cancer.

You'll go mad trying to avoid it, but again, if health is a worry to you, you can't go massively wrong avoiding processed food imho. I'm not an organic freak by any means but there are huge correlations between cancer, obesity and all manner of awfulness, and processed food.
    Wholly agree with this. The vast majority of your daily sugar intake comes from, as far as I remember, food you wouldn't expect to contain it, like bread and processed meats and the like.

Everything in moderation and all that, but massively reducing processed foods and going more homemade for things is pretty much the best course of action for anyone, regardless of their diet goals.

I'm not an organic freak either, but here it's actually easier to buy organic (especially meat) than it is to get non-organic non-processed, and there's not any real price difference either.
  • Alastair 22 Apr 2013 15:56:43 15,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There's good evidence that homogenisation causes allergies, but it's much of a muchness as raw milk has apparently been known to cause instant death.

I think I'd go with homogenised personally.
    Are you sure about this?
    Homogenisation is about mixing the cream in with the milk on a more permanent basis by forcing it through a narrow nozzle at high-pressure, usually in conjunction with pasteurisaton. It doesn't put anything into the milk that isn't there already.

• kalel 22 Apr 2013 15:58:45 86,904 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    There's good evidence that homogenisation causes allergies, but it's much of a muchness as raw milk has apparently been known to cause instant death.

I think I'd go with homogenised personally.
    Are you sure about this?
    Homogenisation is about mixing the cream in with the milk on a more permanent basis by forcing it through a narrow nozzle at high-pressure, usually in conjunction with pasteurisaton. It doesn't put anything into the milk that isn't there already.
    Yes, raw milk is unpasturised more than unhomogensied. Fair enough. The allergy thing is supposed to be true though for some reason.
  • Alastair 22 Apr 2013 15:59:53 15,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Cancer aside, artificial sweeteners apparently trigger your body's craving response for more sugar, even though you haven't really had any (because you're fooling it into thinking you have) so unless you have really really strong will-power your either going to be reaching for the snacks or drinking and eating more artificial sweeteners to stem the craving.
    Well, I certainly don't want to do that!
    Really I was just considering the possibility of cutting out the extra 13 calories per sugar cube. But I think I'll just take the hit for the fast days.

• ZuluHero 22 Apr 2013 16:01:02 4,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, re homogenisation, if you still have it delivered have you noticed how the birds won't touch it like they used to when we were kids?
  • Trane 22 Apr 2013 16:05:10 4,050 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hermersetas for me.

I couldn't deal with that diet though, I know a few people who follow intermittent fasting pretty comfortably, eating all their meals within a 6 hour window. Practically not eating for 2 whole days a week though - would drive me nuts, and seems a lot more drastic and painful than necessary.

Edited by Trane at 16:05:22 22-04-2013
  • Innuendobot_5000 22 Apr 2013 16:10:08 95 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Alastair wrote:
    mixing the cream in with the milk on a more permanent basis by forcing it through a narrow nozzle at high-pressure
    BOOM. SHAKA. LAKA.
  • Alastair 22 Apr 2013 16:22:27 15,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Hermersetas for me.

I couldn't deal with that diet though, I know a few people who follow intermittent fasting pretty comfortably, eating all their meals within a 6 hour window. Practically not eating for 2 whole days a week though - would drive me nuts, and seems a lot more drastic and painful than necessary.
    It's not two consecutive days, and it doesn't actually feel too bad on the fasting days.
    For example, I ate two rashers of bacon and one scrambled egg at about 6:30 this morning, and have just had water and two black coffees with one sugar cube each since then. I am kind of hungry, but not crazily so.
    For dinner I will have a Caesar salad, then go back to normal grub tomorrow.

• thelzdking 22 Apr 2013 16:24:46 4,367 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Honey?
  • neilka 22 Apr 2013 16:25:09 15,844 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes dear?
  • Trane 22 Apr 2013 16:28:02 4,050 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Hermersetas for me.

It's not two consecutive days, and it doesn't actually feel too bad on the fasting days.
    For example, I ate two rashers of bacon and one scrambled egg at about 6:30 this morning, and have just had water and two black coffees with one sugar cube each since then. I am kind of hungry, but not crazily so.
    For dinner I will have a Caesar salad, then go back to normal grub tomorrow.
    But why? How much weight do you want to lose?
  • Alastair 22 Apr 2013 16:35:28 15,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At least a stone. It seems like an easy way to modify my eating without really having to do anything.
    Also, having read the book, there is evidence that intermittent fasting can have other benefits. I can list them when I have the book to hand.

• Trane 22 Apr 2013 16:44:10 4,050 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No need, or not for my benefit at least. I've read up plenty on IF and leangains in particular. A simple macro split would see you losing that in around 12 weeks pretty painlessly and with plenty of flexibility.. Are you using myfitnesspal at all? It's a good way to track.
  • Alastair 22 Apr 2013 16:50:07 15,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not using anything bar the book, and keeping a log of the fast days - what I eat and how I feel about the day.

It's the first time I've really made any effort to 'diet' so I may be going at it half arsed. But I'm on my 4th fast day and I'm not finding the effort of missing lunch and eating less for breakfast and dinner to be too taxing.
    I've noticed another positive side effect - I'm snacking less on non-fast days, and I think my stomach might already have shrunk a bit as I feel more concious of feeling full sooner.

• Trane 22 Apr 2013 16:54:40 4,050 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you took a 7 day snapshot of cals in using 5:2 and spread them out evenly over the 7 days, the results would basically be the same. There are a million ways to lose weight but it all pretty much boils down to burning off more than you consume over an extended period.

5:2 is just a gimmick tbh and sells books for the writers.
  • DigitalDelay 22 Apr 2013 17:00:37 216 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for the link Alastair. I still do not trust what is said about sweeteners though. We all know govt and big business get away with murder on these issues and not nearly enough research seems to have been carried out on the subject.

As for myself, I only stopped sugar because I was sick of big dentist bills, I'm one of those that can eat and eat and not put on weight, so that wasn't an issue for me. I'm no health freak (unlike many who take sweeteners), but I do try to avoid shitty processed food and things that make me ill. However I love smoking things, so it kinda makes my 'linked to cancer' comments sound hypocrytical! I think my original point though was to point out that until we know more, I consider sweeteners to be more harmful than natural sugar.

Zuluhero makes a good point too. They just make you more hungry anyway.
  • yegon 22 Apr 2013 17:05:13 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Alastair

How is that 3rd gen iPod remote holding up? Ill be FURIOUS if you've upgraded to a newer device and its been sitting in a drawer for years!!!! ( I can't remember if it was you I sent it through the post too, is my mind playing tricks?)

/stealth I-gave-something-away-free-and-want-credit post
  • Alastair 22 Apr 2013 17:05:31 15,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, but that means I have to pay attention to what I eat everyday, instead of only on two days.
    If it doesn't work, I've only lost 3.85

• Alastair 22 Apr 2013 17:06:47 15,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    @Alastair

How is that 3rd gen iPod remote holding up? Ill be FURIOUS if you've upgraded to a newer device and its been sitting in a drawer for years!!!! ( I can't remember if it was you I sent it through the post too, is my mind playing tricks?)

/stealth I-gave-something-away-free-and-want-credit post
    Wasn't me.

• Trane 22 Apr 2013 17:08:55 4,050 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Yeah, but that means I have to pay attention to what I eat everyday, instead of only on two days.
    If it doesn't work, I've only lost 3.85
    And what happens once you hit your target weight?

Edited by Trane at 17:09:05 22-04-2013
  • Deleted user 22 April 2013 17:09:25
    He'll post smouldering shots of himself to Instagram.
  • yegon 22 Apr 2013 17:12:03 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Alastair

Heh, oh right. There was someone with a similar username years ago who asked if anyone had a iPod remote they didn't use as his was broken through heavy use. I obliged, I absolutely detested that remote.
  • neilka 22 Apr 2013 17:12:31 15,844 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He better not have designs on Pepsipop. There's already too many horses in the race for that particular carrot.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last