I think I'm going to buy a PS3 soon for 'The Last of Us' Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• chessboxer 11 Apr 2013 05:30:46 250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    No I'm not a plant and no the intrusive Ads on the side haven't made me decide this. :)

I'll be buying multi platform games on the Xbox, but for PS3 exclusives....These are the games I'm going to get started with I reckon.(let me know if they're good/bad choices)

GOW 3
    MGS 4
    You won't get the most out of these games unless you have played the previous titles. GOW3 should be the last of the 6 games in the franchise that you play (I recommend playing GOW1 before Ascension) and MGS4... is amazing if you have played and understand the events of MGS3, MGS1 and MGS2.
  • dominalien 11 Apr 2013 06:38:57 6,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    chessboxer wrote:
    and understand the events of MGS3, MGS1 and MGS2.
    Heh.

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 11 April 2013 07:32:33
    Much preferred Demon Souls to Dark.
  • King_Edward 11 Apr 2013 07:48:38 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just about prefer Dark, for the open nature of the world. I'd backstab anyone that doesn't agree that they're the best two games ever made though. :)
  • PrivateFloyd 11 Apr 2013 08:31:02 4,107 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Get one but not the cheap shitty current super slim, try and get a normal slim.
    QFT

Goat is hungry.....

• Deleted user 11 April 2013 09:14:43
    King_Edward wrote:
    I just about prefer Dark, for the open nature of the world. I'd backstab anyone that doesn't agree that they're the best two games ever made though. :)
    Yeah they both really are. I think I just prefer the previous one as I find the open world and some of the extras a bit too much. Demon felt more contained which I prefer.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2013 09:16:09
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    QFT
    Im looking at getting a super slim, are they really bad?
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Apr 2013 09:19:59 35,429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Prefer Demon's as well, but I can't say if that is mainly because it was such a fresh experience. And the castle in Demon's is still my favourite level of the two games.

I'd also recommend Killzone 2 to the thread starter. Seriously underrated game, with a consistent, continuous campaign, some of the most convincing weapons of the genre, and clever AI that is a ton of fun to play against.
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Apr 2013 09:20:46 14,435 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Posted on the last page, last fookin post yet again...
    Anyway, keep an eye out for Deadly Premonition DC cut as well.

Played DP on 360 and but for QTE's I would have loved. The PS3 version has made them less intrusive.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• FuzzyDuck 11 Apr 2013 09:21:45 3,919 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    QFT
    I got to handle one last weekend - really felt like a flimsy piece of kit.

Dunno how they stand up reliability-wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if that door just breaks clean off at some point.

Ah, blissful memories of playing the PS1 with the disc tray open by shoving a pencil into the tray closed sensor button thingy.
  • Innuendobot_5000 11 Apr 2013 09:26:58 88 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    I got to handle one last weekend - really felt like a flimsy piece of kit.
    ROLLING. IN. THE. DEEP.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2013 09:28:21
    Yeah KZ2 was great. Badly underrated because people treated it as the ps3's halo, when it wasn't and was indeed better in a lot of respects.
  • FuzzyDuck 11 Apr 2013 09:34:47 3,919 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Yeah KZ2 was great. Badly underrated because people treated it as the ps3's halo, when it wasn't and was indeed better in a lot of respects.
    Aye, early graphical highlight and the gunplay was meaty.

Might dig it out tonight to see if it's held up at all.
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Apr 2013 09:38:44 14,435 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Playing through KZ2 at the moment, not too sure where all the gushing praise is coming from, each to thier own though. Have KZ3 lined up next.
    I thought Resistance 3 was very good indeed, well worth getting. I also enjoyed R2 but seem to be a lone voice in the wind on that score.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• imamazed 11 Apr 2013 09:39:25 5,524 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    QFT
    I've got a 500GB super slim, bought it about 2 months ago for similar reasons to you. It's honestly fine. Having said that, if you don't mind buying used the old slims are certainly nicer. I've not used an old one extensively myself but the new super slim has a really cheap, plasticky feel to it. Because of PS+ I don't often use the disc drive, but that too feels really flimsy; it opens in an unsure sliding motion. Everything works fine though; it'll still do what you want to do.
  • Widge Moderator 11 Apr 2013 09:40:38 13,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KZ2 was really decent. I loved the constant grey and gloom, although there wasn't much I found to the story other than "keep pushing on".

Visually it looked fantastic and I effectively ditched single player for the multi and didn't look back. It's MP was really solid, and that mode which shifted objectives was awesome. Great maps too.

At the time it was treated as the yardstick as to whether the PS3 was a valid gaming machine or not (every PS3 release at that time was under huge scrutiny), plus having to live up to the target renders. Coming in with a 9, it was unable to be vindicated or slated either way... so became a no-mans-land for bickering.

I have KZ3, unplayed bar testing it out in 3D at my M&D's (it confused my eyes). I have no love to dive in to it. Standard shooters, no matter how glossy, seem to have lost their lustre in my eyes. If I want to wade through shooting loads of people, I just head to a nicely populated multiplayer game... i.e Planetside 2. If I want story based fun, I head to Bioshock. This is also keeping me away from the apparently decent Resistance 3.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• bronzemedal 11 Apr 2013 09:42:00 36 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've done just this. Watched a trailer for The Last of Us and thought it looked amazing, also really liked the look of Rain. I've got PS+ for the vita (in fact I've not bought a game for that yet, everything I've played has been downloaded from PS+ deals), so I'm hoping all the free games will turn this investment from something I can't really afford into one of the best decision I've made! I ended up buying the super slim model and a 1tb hard drive to go in it. I finally have a Blu-ray player too, which is a plus point
  • Widge Moderator 11 Apr 2013 09:44:06 13,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Playing through KZ2 at the moment, not too sure where all the gushing praise is coming from, each to thier own though.
    Possibly from fond [8/10] EG clan multiplayer times. They really tried their best to sort out a well integrated multiplayer universe, clans, competitions, playing for points, match replays... the whole caboodle. I really got into it, to the sacrifice of every single game at the time.

Not sure how much I would invest in a console variant of that structure now, knowing full well that a few months down the line people would shift to the next game on their list, or even a superceding product would come out. I kind of like PC for multiplayer in that respect, games attract communities regardless of age. I bet I could jump onto a GTFO server for Day Of Defeat and it would still be as awesome as all the hours I put in back in the day. Games don't seem to "old" as much.

_ _ _

• UncleLou Moderator 11 Apr 2013 09:44:40 35,429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    KZ2 was really decent. I loved the constant grey and gloom, although there wasn't much I found to the story other than "keep pushing on".
    Yeah, didn't care about the story, but I thought that the continuous campaign was great - I much prefer that "Half-Life" school of design to separate levels. There's a unity of place and time that, when done well, is always a great boost for the atmosphere, imo, and KZ2 pulled that off really, really well.
  • Widge Moderator 11 Apr 2013 09:47:34 13,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Graveland wrote:
    Demon's Souls. Get it. Play it. Love it.
    What's wrong with Dark Souls? Isn't that the superior sequel?
    They aren't radically different and have their own charm in certain respects. Demon's felt a little bit more "solid" (I'm wondering if From had a bit of a struggle going multiplatform). If you like Dark, though, and hanker for more... stepping into Demon's is less stepping back, more stepping sidewards. Well worthwhile.

_ _ _

• King_Edward 11 Apr 2013 09:51:27 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    Yeah they both really are. I think I just prefer the previous one as I find the open world and some of the extras a bit too much. Demon felt more contained which I prefer.
    Demon's Souls is fairer tbf. There's no Capra Demon or Bed of Chaos tipping the balance into cheap territory.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Apr 2013 10:03:45 10,307 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    QFT
    Noisy, flimsy and cheap.
    Sony trying to wring as much money out of the PS3 before it dies.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 11 April 2013 10:05:13
    Damn, my last PS3 was a Slim which I had to regretfully sell. Don't really want to rebuy the same one but that cheap tray on the super slim is pretty damn offputting.
  • Ka-blamo 11 Apr 2013 10:06:18 7,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So get the square slim not the rectangle slim? It's confusing.....I saw an as new square slim go for under 90 on eBay, so hopefully one will come around again.
  • dominalien 11 Apr 2013 10:41:45 6,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As mentioned before, the super slim is fully functional and works as advertised. It doesn't scream "premium piece of kit" any more, but then the price is adjusted accordingly. It's fairly nondescript and doesn't draw attention to itself. The sliding disc cover is a very simple design and seems shoddy, but then I don't really see what could break there. It's surprisingly high-tech if the console is standing upright, too. Typical Sony touch there. :-)

If you have a spare 2.5" SATA drive laying around, get the 12GB one. Don't forget the bracket, unless you're feeling adventurous. Otherwise, the 500GB model is your friend.

PSN: DonOsito

• Murbal 11 Apr 2013 11:16:14 21,941 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got the super slim 12gb and added a 320gb sata drive. It's fine. With PS+ it works out as brilliant value (system cost me just under 130, plus bracket. Brother in law donated the drive).

DF did an article on it mentioning a few of the issues. Biggest one for me is installing/deleting games from the hard drive seems to take ages.

But like someone else on here said - I've barely touched my 360 since getting it.

Edited by Murbal at 11:16:27 11-04-2013
  • Triggerhappytel 11 Apr 2013 11:43:05 2,673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chessboxer wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    No I'm not a plant and no the intrusive Ads on the side haven't made me decide this. :)

I'll be buying multi platform games on the Xbox, but for PS3 exclusives....These are the games I'm going to get started with I reckon.(let me know if they're good/bad choices)

GOW 3
    MGS 4
    You won't get the most out of these games unless you have played the previous titles. GOW3 should be the last of the 6 games in the franchise that you play (I recommend playing GOW1 before Ascension) and MGS4... is amazing if you have played and understand the events of MGS3, MGS1 and MGS2.
    I would disagree that you need to play all five (chronological) previous instalments before God of War 3. Chains if Olympus' story is nothing, Ghost of Spartans is good but really just a side story relating to that teaser video in GoW1 all those years ago, and, as much as I like the series, Ascension's narrative is a complete non-event in the wider context.

And as much as I like MGS1 and MGS3, I would never ever recommend anyone play MGS4 for its story. Play it to experience one of the most divisive games of our time, but not for its bloated, confused and messy narrative.
  • sport 11 Apr 2013 11:44:13 12,579 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anyone have a PS3 they want to get rid of? 40 after "reg discount" and it must be mint condition.

Thanks
  • Deleted user 11 April 2013 11:51:53
    Will any bracket for a 2.5 drive work? Think I've got an old 2.5 drive from my macbook that I replaced.
  • Bloobat 11 Apr 2013 11:56:51 196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Guys you can get a brand new 12GB super slim from OverclockersUK for 125, pretty good deal seeing as you can add a decent hard drive cheaply http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CO-042-SO&groupid=1720&catid=2448&newsletter=consumer_general/2013_cw15/topbanner
  • Page

of 3 First / Last