• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • Deckard1 9 Apr 2013 14:32:21 28,250 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Nearly a minute difference in 1500 metres for example, which is a 3-4 minute race. So conditioning is only going to go so far.
    Fiction. 3m 26s vs 3m 50s.
    Yeah I was looking at the olden day ones. Ok well the 3000 metres is nearly a minute then.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 14:33:57 60,140 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im fairly sure I have never seen a football match where the players ran continuously round the pitch for 3k.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Shikasama 9 Apr 2013 14:35:01 6,869 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Most players cover between 8-10 kilometres during a 90 minute game according to football manager
  • Trane 9 Apr 2013 14:36:14 4,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Midfielders normally do around 10k a match, ish?

That only equates to 1k every 9 minutes, it's not superhuman that's for sure. Speed is more of a factor I would say.
  • Deckard1 9 Apr 2013 14:36:43 28,250 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im fairly sure I have never seen a football match where the players ran continuously round the pitch for 3k.
    Neither have I. I was using it as an example of the differences between top male and female athletes limits. Thats all.
  • Trane 9 Apr 2013 14:39:10 4,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Neither have I. I was using it as an example of the differences between top male and female athletes limits. Thats all.
    An interesting take on women's limits.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 14:41:03 60,140 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its mostly explosive in football. Distance running isnt really as relevant as the ability to sprint continuously for 90 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• LeoliansBro 9 Apr 2013 14:41:54 44,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm also pretty sure 1,500m distance running isn't the only hallmark of a great footballer, and that not every footballer out there can run 1,500m in 3m 50s.

You have a point Deck and it is valid. But there must be a tipping point with women footballers where the fact that they are a) underutilised and b) cheaper outweighs the physical issue. Put simply, if you were a League 2 manager would you consider trying to tempt some of AFC's women's team to play in the 'proper' leagues.

If you fail then you're a beacon for equality. If you succeed you're a visionary who has changed the face of football.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 9 Apr 2013 14:42:32 44,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I can't see that at work but please let it be Harry Enfield.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Trane 9 Apr 2013 14:43:44 4,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I can't see that at work but please let it be Harry Enfield.
    Of course it is :D
  • Latin 9 Apr 2013 14:45:46 3,710 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Latin wrote:
    Someday there may be a player good enough, of course they may be, but right now there probably isn't.
    Anyway, fine, yes, agreed. Others that been suggesting that could never happen due to the physicality issue, and that's what I have been arguing with.
    IMO although possible, it is highly, highly unlikely.

As with all sports, the more money that gets pumped in, the more professional it becomes and the participants become more physically exceptional. Anything to give you a competitive edge. This inevitably favours men. Just look at rugby/cricket/tennis/golf... even darts players are working on fitness these days!
  • Deleted user 9 April 2013 14:54:55
    kalel wrote:
    Alipan wrote:
    It would prove nothing to say that some women are better than some men - that Hope Solo is a better goalie than the Accrington Stanley reserve keeper.
    Um...how does that prove nothing?
    You have to tell me if you think it proves something I guess?
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 14:57:27 87,926 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Alipan wrote:
    It would prove nothing to say that some women are better than some men - that Hope Solo is a better goalie than the Accrington Stanley reserve keeper.
    Um...how does that prove nothing?
    You have to tell me if you think it proves something I guess?
    It would prove that a woman was good enough to be Accrington Stanley's reserve goalkeeper, i.e. a professional player in the men's game.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2013 15:11:57
    It would if it were true but was actually something I made up.

And also something I deleted straight after posting.

But you were too quick (or used special mod powers) and pounced on my momentary lapse of judgement!
  • mrpon 9 Apr 2013 20:46:47 28,997 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've no idea who this is, just came across it the other day when surfing.

Seemed relevant, check out the pics o_O

https://twitter.com/atunnicliffe

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Pokeyhat 18 Apr 2013 14:02:22 6 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Latin wrote:
    Football is physical though... Even if every woman on that team had the skill of zidane/cryuff, they'd still be slower to the ball, weaker on the ball, tire quicker etc etc. and would lose badly to a best XI of men.
    But those Zidane-like female players would be of potential great use amongst more physical male players in a mixed team.
    No they wouldn't.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next