TES 6: what do you want it to be?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • DrStrangelove 31 Mar 2013 00:36:58 3,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Please tell your idea/hopes of what TES 6 would be and look like.

My hopes are for Hammerfell. I think there's huge potential in a Moorish/Arabic/Egypt/whatever setting. I'll just post a few pictures of stuff that might inspire that world. Please share your ideas.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:37:48 31-03-2013
  • Mola_Ram 31 Mar 2013 02:13:51 6,948 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Better dialogue, voice acting would be nice. The scenery already looks suitably spectacular; time to make the living parts of the world more believable.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 31 Mar 2013 02:17:01 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd basically like skyrim but with Zelda dungeons
  • Whizzo 31 Mar 2013 02:38:06 43,033 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Properly tested by someone other than Bethesda's QA department.

This space left intentionally blank.

• neilka 31 Mar 2013 02:38:40 15,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Match-3 Facebook game
  • JinTypeNoir 31 Mar 2013 02:58:32 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would like to see them create an even smaller world with more detail. By that, I don't mean graphically, I mean detail in interaction. Like opening up the closet and cupboards in Shenmue to see what was inside, or how you had to just ask a whole bunch of people and investigate to feel what was going on.

Both of these are in previous Elder Scrolls games, but I feel like while there may be a good deal granular detail they try to do so much, then none of the details feel designed. So for instance, in Skyrim or Oblivion is you explore everywhere, you mostly find either Time for Exposition text deposits or items that aren't all that memorable. I'm talking more about putting a small trinket in a cupboard no one would usually investigate and make it so it links to some random NPC in a few towns over, where you would only get some meaning if you had followed a couple of different quests or conversations. Bethesda and Obsidian did this to a certain extent with Fallout, because everyone expects that kind of detail from Fallout. Yes, this takes a long time and is hard to do; that's why I recommend they drop epic walks into nothingness for being overwhelmed by the detail in a smaller space. They've certainly got the manpower.

As for actual real investigation, its just a pipe dream, because the minute they do it, there would be reviews about how the game isn't designed well because people don't know what to do and mega blockbusters just won't take that type of risk.

If I had those two things, and design like them, I would be on cloud nine. I do not expect good writing or a good battle system or good dungeon design from this series, as it is more of an RPG simulator and all that stuff can come from players who mod it later, so I'm not that picky.

Though I am kind of upset that the next game probably won't be in a snowy environment since snowy Santa places are my favorite in games.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Mar 2013 03:42:47 3,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir

I think I can relate, and the "puzzles" in Skyrim are beyond embarassing. I mean, look at Zelda, a game designed so that children could enjoy it too. That has lots of tough puzzles that put to shame Skyrim's best (half-hearted) attempts. Skyrim is awfully dumbed down in some regards.

Yet still, for all that's wrong with it, I still love it.
  • mrharvest 31 Mar 2013 06:28:50 5,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Hammerfell is pretty likely, or perhaps the cats and woodelves of Valenwood.

Anyway, what I want of the next Elder Scrolls game is to know nothing about it before I play it. Kinda ruined Skyrim for me. I went blind into Dragonborn and it was so much better for it. I trust Bethesda that the game is going to be good so ideally I won't even read any reviews beforehand.
  • ubergine 31 Mar 2013 07:59:43 2,014 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Summerset Isles, Nazi Elves, Magic Jetskis for inter-island travel. Thalmor have conquered Tamriel, now seek to conquer Oblivion, open gates but tear up space time in their hubris and portals are opened to other realms of Tamriel like Elsewhere, so we can finally get some hot desert action in.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• ResidentKnievel 31 Mar 2013 08:20:46 6,110 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Piratey Islandy one set around Yokuda, although with Assassin's Creed 4 just around the corner my desire for such a setting has lessened.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Tryhard 31 Mar 2013 08:50:05 3,659 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    "Khajiits innnnn Space."
  • ZuluHero 31 Mar 2013 08:59:35 4,018 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd like co-op and multiplayer. Not necessarily a large scale mmo, but something akin to dead island or monster hunter where you can play with your friends.
  • DaM 31 Mar 2013 09:32:13 12,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Judge Dredd or Star Wars ;)

I quite often think about this as I wander about.
    I think it will go Eastern as DrStrangelove suggests, as there is a lot of description of those areas in Skyrim. I think we'll be heading to Elsweyr.
  • Prehensile_Plant 31 Mar 2013 09:54:39 417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Summerset Isles. I'd like the focus to be on sorting the Thalmor out.
  • Stranded87 31 Mar 2013 10:11:32 849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Better writing and voice acting, a much bigger range of and more interesting spells, more character/story focused, more interesting/unique dungeons and loot, less fighting but a greater variety of enemies, multiple approaches to most quests (preferably some none-violent) and definitely not a return to the generic high fantasy and level scaling of Oblivion.

If all that requires a smaller game world then that's fine too, quality over quantity and all that.
  • DaM 31 Mar 2013 10:14:34 12,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Judge Dredd or Star Wars ;)

I quite often think about this as I wander about.
    I think it will go Eastern as DrStrangelove suggests, as there is a lot of description of those areas in Skyrim. I think we'll be heading to Elsweyr.
    Edit - or Hammerfell, whereever...sorry :)
  • Mola_Ram 31 Mar 2013 10:23:22 6,948 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A UI that prioritises functionality over aesthetics would also be nice. Yes yes, "mods will fix it", except they won't on consoles. And something so important really shouldn't need fixing in the first place.
  • Deleted user 31 March 2013 10:31:37
    Personally Bethesda need to return to some core values as they seem to have lost their way somewhat since Morrowind in wanting to be all things to all men. This has had the impact of actually making the series more 'game-y' than it originally was and for me, detracts from the experience.

First off, level scaling. GTFO. For a balanced world there needs to be things that are weak and things that are strong. It gives a sense of progression, of a character evolving and for attributes and exploration to actually have a point. Yes, there may well be some areas you can't access/will get your ass handed to you because your character simply cannot cope with them at this point in time. Go out, explore the world, develop your skills and abilities, not everything need be given in one fell swoop.

Be a 'normal person' who through circumstances becomes a hero. Or not. the choice is yours. Making the PC a unique but generic superman with special abilities is naked powergaming. Make the PC live by the same consistent rules of the universe or don't bother. Contrast and compare Morrowind with Oblivion/Skyrim. In Morrowind, you're a blank slate and everything develops as a matter of player agency. In Oblivion/Skyrim, X must happen because Y where Y is the PC being 'gifted' and 'special'. It's a cheap mechanic to build up the PC yet actually doesn't add to the plot any more than simply being a victim of circumstance.

Be more diverse. TES has not evolved beyond the same tropes from Daggerfall and whilst repetition is fine in moderation, ad nauseum it just demonstrates a lack of creativity and a willingness to be able to think outside of the box. TES also seems to have lost it's sense of humour somewhere along the way, becoming more obsessed with being a po-faced high fantasy saga.
  • unicorn69 31 Mar 2013 10:33:39 81 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Better writing and voice acting, a much bigger range of and more interesting spells, more character/story focused, more interesting/unique dungeons and loot, less fighting but a greater variety of enemies, multiple approaches to most quests (preferably some none-violent) and definitely not a return to the generic high fantasy and level scaling of Oblivion.

If all that requires a smaller game world then that's fine too, quality over quantity and all that.
    This
    and a more ''alive'' world. The towns feels so empty :-(

Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

• graysonavich 31 Mar 2013 10:47:35 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was this a sneaky way of showing us your fucking holiday snaps?
  • shamblemonkee 31 Mar 2013 11:35:50 14,257 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I'd like co-op and multiplayer. Not necessarily a large scale mmo, but something akin to dead island or monster hunter where you can play with your friends.
    Yeah I'd also like the ability to form a party of up to 4 players to explore together. That with faction choices that actually change my world
  • Fixxxer 31 Mar 2013 11:52:44 1,303 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    Summerset Isles, Nazi Elves, Magic Jetskis for inter-island travel. Thalmor have conquered Tamriel, now seek to conquer Oblivion, open gates but tear up space time in their hubris and portals are opened to other realms of Tamriel like Elsewhere, so we can finally get some hot desert action in.
    Oh god not Oblivion gates! Noooooooo!
  • Mola_Ram 31 Mar 2013 11:57:23 6,948 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The idea of Oblivion gates was fine. I like the idea of portals to hell opening up in places. It was just that there were too many of them and they were all pretty much the same. Got repetitive.
  • Scimarad 31 Mar 2013 13:12:15 8,530 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it was pretty much like Skyrim I'd be happy enough.

I'd like the next game to be based around sorting out the Thalmor thing, though there are plenty of potential places for it to be set. Hammerfell or Elsweyr would be cool names, though.
  • M83J01P97 31 Mar 2013 14:01:03 6,529 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Summerset Isles is the most likely, as you can often tell the direction the next game will go in from side quests and NPC chatting. Cyrodiil was mentioned a lot in Morrowind just as Skyrim was mentioned in Oblivion, and the Summerset Isles are mentioned a few times not only in vanilla Skyrim but the Dragonborn DLC as well.

Hammerfell has also kind of been done in Redguard even if it was set on an island off the mainland... but the same could be said for Morrowind which only actually showed us a very small part of that region.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Mar 2013 15:36:27 3,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes, Summerset Isles might be the most likely, and I'd look forward to that too.

If we're talking about game mechanics now: I want a weapon combat system like Chivalry. That would be a real game-changer.
  • SuperBas 31 Mar 2013 15:41:10 1,450 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally dropping the Gamebryo engine.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 31 Mar 2013 15:49:12 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dunno if a middle eastern environment would appeal. Be a bit dull, nothing but sand imo.
  • ubergine 31 Mar 2013 15:59:13 2,014 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Goes to show what Bethesda's main problems are when they can take a concept like rifts into a twisted hell dimension - RIFTS INTO A TWISTED HELL DIMENSION - and make it into bland Kraft Chedder Hell.

When it comes down to it, TES can go fuck itself, what I really want is a new Ultima game, by which I mean a real one, not Quest of the Facebook Avatar: Whiteworriers of Destiny.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• EMarkM 31 Mar 2013 16:08:01 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Dunno if a middle eastern environment would appeal. Be a bit dull, nothing but sand imo.
    As opposed to the "just snow" of Skyrim? Personally I'd love a desert-themed game.

Regarding multiplayer, mentioned above: no. Not for me, thank you. Not even as an option, which could potentially take some of the budget and creativity away from the main game.

Oblivion Gates. Hated them. Found them to be dark and depressing. Nothing like this again, please. Even the dragons of Skyrim have started to get on my nerves when they randomly turn up as I am trying to either do something important, complex, or just trying to relax.

Less fighting, deeper and more involved characters? Yes please! Less-generic story lines, fewer repeated dungeons. More uniqueness, more depth and creativity. More immersion. More unique dialogue.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous