Audio Dilemma

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • KennyPowers 25 Mar 2013 14:00:06 94 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well not really a dilemma, that sounds a bit dramatic.

My current sound setup is a PS3 hooked up to an old 32" Samsung TV (not full HD) via HDMI. I have then got an old Altec Lansing 5.1 speaker set from my PC gaming days (years ago, remember 3dfx?) hooked up to the TV via the headphone jack on the side. I have removed 3 of the speakers, so really its only 2.1.

The problem I have at the moment is that the sound has started to come out of only one speaker. If I move the audio cable around, I can get stereo again, but its intermittent. I think this is either down to the fact that I leave the cable plugged into the TV all the time, and the connector in the jack is knackered on the TV, or maybe because the speaker cables are 'hanging' down from the side of the TV, putting a perpendicular stress on the jack.

I was wondering what other people's setups are, to give me some inspiration on what to do next? I was considering the idea of a bluetooth type speaker setup, so less cable clutter, and it could (in theory) sync with laptops, ipads, ps3 etc. I was even looking at those ipad/iphone speaker docking things, where its all one unit.

Anyway, any (sensible) suggestions?

Thanks.
  • mal 25 Mar 2013 14:04:13 22,019 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Replace the knackered cable?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• LockeTribal 25 Mar 2013 14:08:02 4,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Audio Dilemma would be a good name for an album.

I bagsie it.
  • ComradePete 25 Mar 2013 14:10:42 467 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This thread should help.
  • quadfather 25 Mar 2013 14:13:08 10,587 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You could replace the current setup with a similar new package of speakers I suppose.

How much surround do you actually want? If you like it, maybe it's worth spending some cash getting a dedicated receiver and speakers? Or even a package that does that for you.

Need to know what you use the ps3 for? Is it only games or would you benefit from a proper 5.1 setup with films as well, for example?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• imamazed 25 Mar 2013 14:13:48 5,455 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @LockeTribal I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, you've given me an idea...
  • KennyPowers 25 Mar 2013 14:33:39 94 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't think its a knackered cable, but rather a knackered audio jack/socket in the side of the TV itself. I think the springy contacts inside are no longer springy as the cable is left always plugged it (if that makes sense) I don't really fancy taking apart the TV and soldering in a new audio socket :cry:

I use my PS3 for games, downloaded TV shows/movies, and sometimes music. The speakers also output FreeView from the TV better than the TV's own speakers, due to the sub.

Audio Dilemmaİ

:champ:
  • quadfather 25 Mar 2013 21:50:44 10,587 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Have you got any budget for any of this?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• KennyPowers 25 Mar 2013 22:00:40 94 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Less than £100

...maybe a bit too optimistic?
  • mal 25 Mar 2013 22:28:03 22,019 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    KennyPowers wrote:
    Don't think its a knackered cable, but rather a knackered audio jack/socket in the side of the TV itself. I think the springy contacts inside are no longer springy as the cable is left always plugged it (if that makes sense)
    Yeah, could make sense as the TV probaby gets quite hot when in use, then cools down when off.

Can't you just plug a pair of headphones in and wiggle the plug and see if it cuts out?

• KennyPowers 2 Apr 2013 10:38:51 94 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think one of the wires inside the speaker lead may have broken, so you get intermittent stereo when you move the lead, as it makes/breaks the connection.

I might get all MacGyver on it's ass, and take an old lead (off old headphones or something, chop off the speaker lead at the end, then solder the new bit in, if that makes sense.

Wish me luck!
  • mal 2 Apr 2013 11:50:46 22,019 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that's quite common on 3.5mm cables in my experience. Can't you just buy a replacement for a few quid?

• KennyPowers 2 Apr 2013 15:23:43 94 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The cable is hard-wired into the speakers.

Was looking at new 2.1 speakers on Amazon, and there are some as cheap as £22.49 at the moment. But I quite like my old Altecs, plus it would be a shame to bin them, as they are still working!
  • mal 2 Apr 2013 17:00:47 22,019 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, fair enough then. Though if you can stretch to a quid 40 it may be worth buying a fresh plug and doing a more proper job.

• BinaryBob101 2 Apr 2013 17:06:39 21,983 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great thread guys, keep it up!

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Page

of 1

Previous Next