Why is there still no major console based MMORPG?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 09:22:51
    I know there was a feeble attempt to get FFXI going, but that's about it.

Surely something like KotoR could have been a huge success on consoles? It seems like a massive gap in the market and one that could be hugely profitable through subscriptions and micro-transactions and what have you.

WHY??
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 09:26:09
    Or is that there is only really space for one MMO?

I seem to remember things like SW Galaxies. FFXI, City of Heroes and Everquest being pretty popular before the WoW beast came along.
  • speedofthepuma 21 Mar 2013 09:26:27 13,320 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because EA haven't worked out exactly how to squeeze every last drop of money out of the nous try.

Hang on, they have. Must be what graysonavich said then.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• ZuluHero 21 Mar 2013 09:27:55 4,302 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Final Fantasy XIV is coming to ps3 still, isn't it? I have a few friends playing on the PC beta and they said it has improved no end.
  • Mr-Brett 21 Mar 2013 09:28:45 12,894 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MS and Sony are opening up to the idea of free to play so it seems likely that there'll be some MMOs next gen but it seems odd that there have been so many failed attempts on the current generation.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Deleted user 21 March 2013 09:29:50
    This Elder Scrolls Online thing sounds like an obvious choice for consoles as well.
  • thedaveeyres 21 Mar 2013 09:31:47 11,586 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Elder Scrolls games are boring as hell though - gaming beige. It's not going to have the wider appeal of WOW.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Rodpad 21 Mar 2013 09:31:52 2,097 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Final Fantasy XIV is coming to ps3 still, isn't it? I have a few friends playing on the PC beta and they said it has improved no end.
    Improved to the point where it's as average as every other MMO. It's still going to flop hard. Again.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 09:34:04
    Something doesn't have to be WoW successful lto be a success. It's a bit of a ridiculous benchmark to keep coming back to. It's likely nothing will every be as successful as WoW ever again.
  • DFawkes 21 Mar 2013 09:34:29 24,050 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Defiance is out in a couple of weeks. Sure, it's a shooter MMO that leans more towards shooter, but it has most of what you'd expect from an MMO. Questing, levelling up skills, loot, open world (to an extent) and social stuff.

Same payment model as Guild Wars, just buy the game and you're done. I've no idea if it'll be successful or not of course, but there's certainly money behind it.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• LockeTribal 21 Mar 2013 09:35:10 4,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That DC Superhero MMO is on PS3 isn't it? No idea if there's many playing it though. Oh, and didn't/don't Sony have that Free Realms game as well?
  • Rodpad 21 Mar 2013 09:35:37 2,097 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Defiance - Nobody has really heard of it. Throwing money behind an MMO doesn't have any bearing on success either - look at SWTOR, and then also look at the cheap content updates in WoW.

Edited by Roddles at 09:36:03 21-03-2013
  • mrpon 21 Mar 2013 09:36:01 29,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You forget the three screens point gray ;)

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• DFawkes 21 Mar 2013 09:40:07 24,050 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    Defiance - Nobody has really heard of it.
    Marketing has actually been pretty good so there's a lot of buzz. Just not much outside the US :) I can see server merges happening down the road so they're all worldwide servers, but what with the TV show linking to it we should see interest grow a bit. The main thing is keeping that up between seasons of the TV show.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• speedofthepuma 21 Mar 2013 09:41:41 13,320 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anyone here play them? I've tried WoW but never got far, it just seemed incredibly shallow.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Rodpad 21 Mar 2013 09:42:01 2,097 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    An MMO linked to a TV show sounds like a disaster.

Don't like the TV show? You're sure as hell not going to try the MMO.
    Want to play the game but not watch the TV show? You'll feel like you're missing out.

It's just bizarre and creates an artificial entry barrier to the lore.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 09:44:26
    graysonavich wrote:
    A couple of points;

Control pad: You're limiting yourself to an "action combat" MMO. These notoriously just dont work. Aiming is an art left for only the elite FPS engines (Quake). When you factor in aiming you have to factor in frame rate, server lag, and screen clutter. None of which would excel on a consolebox.

Voice comms: Since there are no keyboards you'd be 100% focused on voice comms. The xBox LIVE tinny 11khz 1950s telephone quality just wouldn't cut it.

Cool Factor™: Could you sit on your sofa with a beer on a Saturday and play it? Oh you silly nerd, pass me Call of Warfare
    I won't pretend to be an expert but if the above two points don't stop things like CoD, Halo and Battlefield being successful online console experiences, I can't really see why a well designed action MMO couldn't work.

I know the DC thing was a flop but certainly City of Heroes could have worked very well as a console game I think.

Perhaps it's the third point you make that's the problem.
  • sport 21 Mar 2013 09:46:49 12,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why hasn't anyone done a wrestling MMO yet?
  • DFawkes 21 Mar 2013 09:50:22 24,050 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    An MMO linked to a TV show sounds like a disaster.

Don't like the TV show? You're sure as hell not going to try the MMO.
    Want to play the game but not watch the TV show? You'll feel like you're missing out.

It's just bizarre and creates an artificial entry barrier to the lore.
    It actually works surprisingly well so far. They were developed that way from the ground up, so nothing feels too forced either way. If you don't like the narrative style of one then of course you're right that you probably won't enjoy the other. Thankfully they are linked in some ways, but not so much that only playing the game/watching the show will be detrimental.

Of course only time will tell if the show is any good, but I'll stick with optimism rather than being a big negative nancy :) Though were I a transvestite I would consider the name Nancy.

• Latin 21 Mar 2013 09:51:31 3,826 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @sport Make it happen and take my money
  • Rodpad 21 Mar 2013 09:52:35 2,097 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To you who's done research it might sound great. But Johnny public is going to be instantly turned off when they hear it's associated with some Sci-Fi telly program (which tend to get cancelled after 1-2 seasons)

I'm offering non biased opinions, nothing negative about it. I'd love to play and enjoy a decent new MMO!
  • thedaveeyres 21 Mar 2013 09:53:18 11,586 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Something doesn't have to be WoW successful lto be a success. It's a bit of a ridiculous benchmark to keep coming back to. It's likely nothing will every be as successful as WoW ever again.
    I agree, until we get WoW 2: The Wowering, but my point is that Elder Scrolls lacks universal appeal... and it's brown... and boring as fuck... and brown.

• Deleted user 21 March 2013 09:53:47
    You do realise that the Elder Scroll games have been massive successes on the consoles?
  • thedaveeyres 21 Mar 2013 09:53:51 11,586 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Why hasn't anyone done a wrestling MMO yet?
    Take all of my money.

• sport 21 Mar 2013 09:54:01 12,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    @sport Make it happen and take my money
    Ok, would it be better if it was a giant ring, or just a city where you roam around and wrestle people in the street?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous