Do you still buy games at full price?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • IronGiant 19 Mar 2013 16:42:17 4,620 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used to all the time but over the last couple of years much less. For example right now i have the following on my list to buy once they drop under 20 quid:

Tomb Raider
    Dead Space 3
    Metal Gear
    God Of War Ascension

Even Bioshock Infinite i'm considering waiting a few months before getting and i adored the first Bioshock. About the only upcoming game i will get on release day is The Last Of Us.
  • disusedgenius 19 Mar 2013 16:44:11 5,614 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sure, if I want the game enough.
  • L_Franko Moderator 19 Mar 2013 16:47:06 9,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I buy full price games if I want it on release. If I have the money and it is going towards something I want, why the heck not.
  • imamazed 19 Mar 2013 16:47:30 5,954 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Almost never. Even though I'm now in a better financial position than I have been in the past it just doesn't make sense anymore. Even Bioshock Infinite, which I'm really looking forward to, will not be purchased until its sub 20 notes and/or my backlog gets to a reasonable level (not the latter then...) I'm not going to miss out by playing it later (and especially not just 6 months down the line), so I don't see the sense in paying double the price.

GTA V will probably be the only game I buy at full price this year. I did used to get between 4-8 full price games a year, now (thanks to digital sales and cheaper games online) I've got enough to be getting on with anyway.

I'm still yet to play Far Cry 3 and Dishonoured, for example. And it doesn't bother me; I'll play 'em eventually.

Edited by imamazed at 16:49:34 19-03-2013
  • Aretak 19 Mar 2013 16:47:32 10,376 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Very rarely. I think the last three I've bought at full price would be Ni no Kuni, Tales of Graces f and Mass Effect 3, the latter two of which I regret doing so. Generally I'm happy to wait until things are under 20, which usually takes no more than a couple of months these days.
  • Latin 19 Mar 2013 16:47:45 3,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rarely
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 16:49:02 61,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No. Im mopping up older games at the moment since the majority of games coming out now are lacklustre sequels that will drop in price within minutes.

Case in point: Im plugging through Resident Evil 6 at the moment.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Tricky 19 Mar 2013 16:49:11 4,485 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Depends. Most of the time these days I don't have the time to devote to a new game anyway, so I'm okay waiting. Exceptions are when I think some fecker will spoil things for me shortly after release or where there's likely to be some nice articles from RPS or Polygon that discuss a game's themes.

So it's increasingly likely that I will be getting Bioshock Infinite next week, for example, whereas I'll happily wait for Tomb Raider to drop in price. Plus Bioshock can be had from GMG for 24 quid on PC which is close enough to that magic 20 quid barrier for me.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Mar 2013 16:50:29 17,368 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Very rarely. I think the last three I've bought at full price would be Ni no Kuni, Tales of Graces f and Mass Effect 3, the latter two of which I regret doing so. Generally I'm happy to wait until things are under 20, which usually takes no more than a couple of months these days.
    I also bought Ni No Kuni at full price. It's the first preorder for me this year and I very rarely bother. I did buy AC3 at full price as I needed a game to sink my teeth into after being made redundant and that seemed like a good choice. It wasn't.

I find I almost always wait for a price drop, I generally play single player games so it doesn't matter if there's a bit of a wait. Saying that, I did preorder Fifa 13 as I wanted to play that multiplayer.

You are a factory of sadness.

• dancingrob 19 Mar 2013 16:51:16 1,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never.

I mainly play single player games, and as such, it doesn't really matter whether I play them the minute they get released, or 18 months down the line.

I tend to pick things up when they drop to 10-15 or so, then add them to the backlog pile which I'm now gradually making a dent in as there are very few 'new' games I want that I don't already own.

The only real negative of doing things this way is that MP servers are generally empty and/or full of very experienced expert players only by the time I start playing.
  • Zomoniac 19 Mar 2013 16:55:31 7,979 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I want it. I got Tomb Raider and MG Rising on release from ShopTo for 31.85 each. Had each for a fortnight, finished, took to Game, who matches Cex's 30 trade-in and beat it by a pound. Two brand new releases for two weeks each, net cost a combined 1.70 for the pair.
  • MatMan562 19 Mar 2013 16:59:10 2,604 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I do. If there's a game that I know I'll like and will be worth the money then I will buy it asap if nothing else then to support the developer. If I don't have the money or time for it then I'll likely wait and if I'm not sure whether I'll like the game or not I'll wait for reviews/ people opinions on here.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Toonster 19 Mar 2013 17:00:03 6,845 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Since I'm more of a Nintendo person, I often don't get much of a choice when it comes to first-party material. Those prices hardly ever drop :/

Though one of the last Ninty games I got was Metroid Prime (wanted to replay it, but couldn't find my old copy) for 2 quid.

Edited by Toonster at 17:00:15 19-03-2013

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Triggerhappytel 19 Mar 2013 17:02:19 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, but I'm much more selective about buying games on launch than I used to be. It tends to be two or three launch day releases per year, and most other games I can easily wait until they get price drops. I'm still waiting on Far Cry 3 and Dishonoured to be under 20.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Mar 2013 17:04:43 17,368 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    So it's increasingly likely that I will be getting Bioshock Infinite next week, for example, whereas I'll happily wait for Tomb Raider to drop in price. Plus Bioshock can be had from GMG for 24 quid on PC which is close enough to that magic 20 quid barrier for me.
    Thanks a lot for mentioning this, I just went there and I've been meaning to get Spec Ops: The Line so this will work perfectly. For that price I can't really see a problem.

Although I've never used GMG before, are there any major issues I should be aware of?

• bad09 19 Mar 2013 17:05:47 6,255 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haven't bought a full price game since Dead Space 2. DRM, all kinds of DLC, launch issues that need fixing or worse those HD packs they don't give out until we are well into the game like (Skyrim and Crysis 2), multiplayer making up a lot of content these days it's just not worth it especially if you are a single player.

I did pay 25 quid for Aliens CM (today actually) which is the closest I've come to "full price" in years but I paid that for the bargain bin collectors edition so got a load of their crap DLC and a great looking model along with the actual game, hell in all honesty I paid 25 for the model, the game alone I was going to wait for a fiver deal! :)

I may get a new releases at birthday or Christmas as end of the year is busy with releases but usually all in sales. If DRM wasn't so bad these days I may buy full price again, but the chances of us turning the clock back there are zero outside of indies.
  • bad09 19 Mar 2013 17:07:08 6,255 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Although I've never used GMG before, are there any major issues I should be aware of?
    There are a few horror stories out there but I used them recently and had no trouble, in fact they sent me my code almost instantly.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 17:09:35
    maybe one or two a year. But thats it. Everything else at 20 quid or less.

I only get online focussed games or a game i think is going to be rare after its first run (ni no kuni). Also nintendo games never drop in price, so i tend to pick them up within a couple of months of release.

I have cancelled my LM2 pre-order though, end of march is quite expensive with bills, and my sister has brought tomb raider, so i got a few games to play for a month or so.
  • DFawkes 19 Mar 2013 17:10:30 24,047 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I buy whatever I feel like whenever I want it and have the money for it. If that's full price, so be it.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• ZuluHero 19 Mar 2013 17:11:55 4,302 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep all the time, though i've started saving money buying on Steam, like i got TR and BL2 for 26. If Bioshock:I was on for 26 i'd be doing the same right now.
  • glaeken 19 Mar 2013 17:13:39 11,265 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last full price game for me was UFO and before that I honestly cannot remember what.

I find there are so many games now that I have missed over this generation that there plenty to pick up now at pretty low prices. There seem to be very few games now where I absolutely have to have it on the release date. I have no problem giving it a month or two and waiting for the prices to drop. With new releases these days I more make note of something I think I will like and just add it to my list of games I will pick up at some stage.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Mar 2013 17:13:45 17,368 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    There are a few horror stories out there but I used them recently and had no trouble, in fact they sent me my code almost instantly.
    Good to know, cheers.

• bad09 19 Mar 2013 17:20:48 6,255 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    glaeken wrote:With new releases these days I more make note of something I think I will like and just add it to my list of games I will pick up at some stage.
    I tend to do that, stick 'em on the Amazon wishlist then keep an eye on SavyGamer. For those that don't know, SavyGamer is a cheapskates dream come true

http://savygamer.co.uk/
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Mar 2013 17:24:35 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When I have more cash than at present, yes. Although stopping trade-ins will definitely lower the number of console games I would buy.
  • Dirtbox 19 Mar 2013 17:29:52 79,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think I've spent more than 200 over the 9 odd years I've had my steam account.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DodgyPast 19 Mar 2013 17:43:28 8,535 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll buy one or two games a year at full price otherwise it's Steam / PSN sales and PSN+

Same sort of thing on Android as well.

Never found a situation where a game I wanted wasn't available heavily discounted eventually.
  • Syrette 19 Mar 2013 22:28:03 44,211 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

RENT YOUR CONSOLE GAMES

• PazJohnMitch 19 Mar 2013 22:33:58 8,727 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I generally spend less than 30 on a game. I have spent closer to full price but it is rare.
  • jambii267 19 Mar 2013 22:39:48 1,368 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow, people are cheap :).

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous