Multi Monitor profiles for nVidia

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • DodgyPast 19 Mar 2013 04:07:54 8,419 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now I've got my second monitor was hoping to sort out profiles for different usage scenarios:
    My setup is 1x 1920x1200 monitor and 1x1920x1080 monitor in the office and 1x 1920x1080 TV in the living room.

Would like it to be as easy as possible to switch between:
    a) Just TV
    b) 1920x1200 monitor primary, 1920x1080 monitor secondary, TV off
    c) 1920x1200 monitor primary, 1920x1080 monitor secondary, TV cloning the secondary monitor
    d) 1920x1080 monitor and TV cloned as primary, 1920x1200 as secondary.
    e) 1920x1080 monitor and TV cloned as primary, 1920x1200 off.

Was wondering if there were any utilities to help manage this.

Cheers
  • PenguinJim 19 Mar 2013 05:12:09 5,768 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The issue you are having might be a simple as mistakenly sending a interlaced signal to the monitor from the PC, instead of progressive. But it is much more likely that the monitor doesn't correctly communicate its timing capabilities to the video card resulting in the GPU picking a fallback mode rather than optimal, as is common with many smaller screens capable of 1080p native.

As you will be well aware, the video card typically provides simple choices to configure a resolution on the PC such as

Horizontal pixels, vertical pixels
    refresh rate(Hz)
    colour depth
    Scan type: progress/interlaced

But along with this, it also has other values for a complete description of the display mode timing settings, as listed below.

Standard timing: automatic/GTF/DMT/CVT/CVT reduced blanking/manual

For both horizontal/vertical you have:
    Active pixels
    Front porch(pixels)
    sync width (pixels)
    Total pixels
    polarity
    refresh rate and the pixel clock frequency.

For the problem you are describing, trying the other standard timing methods will typically force it to pick optimal settings. However, on my Sony 22 TV, I also needed to change everything manually in XP and Fedora (16 and earlier) after using a linux console utility(that I can't remember) to detect the correct TV timings.

Naturally, overriding these timing settings randomly might damage your monitor, so checking the back pages of the monitor manual for the DVI modes available and the timing ranges should allow you to experiment with valid ranges and quickly find an optimum custom timing.

Edit: forgot to ask, are you using AMD or nVidia? As it might be best to use their driver to create a shortcut key to create and cycle between profiles?

Edited by PenguinJim at 05:25:25 19-03-2013
  • DodgyPast 19 Mar 2013 09:34:37 8,419 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nVidia... As the title suggests :-P

I've got no problems with timings and resolutions. Everything runs happily at 60 hz... And no reason to complicate beyond that since tearing makes me want to spew so that works best with v-sync.

It's just more clicks to rearrange each time than I like so hoping there's something out there that suits my lazy and simplistic nature.
  • PenguinJim 19 Mar 2013 09:51:58 5,768 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    D'oh! I went through to my nVidia control panel to see what to do, thinking you needed nVidia, and then thought I'd double-check your post to make sure I was looking at something useful... and forgot to check the title itself. :p

Have you tried installing nView and using the shortcut keys in there? I know there's one for cloning... but you get much the same effect by using Windowskey-P to cycle through the Projector options. I haven't needed to install nView on the PC I'm typing on, but there should be a few more juicy keyboard shortcuts that you can enable.
  • DodgyPast 19 Mar 2013 10:26:43 8,419 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unfortunately nVidia discontinued nView for Windows 7... and that probably would have done exactly what I need.

Which means while I probably could do what I wanted from the driver on an ATi card I can't with a Vidia card which was why i was hoping there'd be something that would replicate that functionality.

Oh well, worth a look anyway.
  • PenguinJim 19 Mar 2013 10:49:46 5,768 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmmm... try one of these:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/37625-display-switch-shortcut-create.html
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24008-screen-resolution-shortcut-create.html

The Display Switch one seems most convenient, as you can switch via Windowskey-P, but you might be limited to four options, possibly.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next