Led Zeppelin or The Beatles? Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 March 2013 10:36:02
    Only thing I don't like about zeppelin is that their early stuff is my favourite and now I know some of it is stolen.

Dazed and confused for example is straight up theft from

Edited by Pepsipop at 10:36:56 08-03-2013
  • warlockuk 8 Mar 2013 10:38:33 19,151 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think you can just write off The Beatles as pop. Yeah, a lot of their early 60s output was poppy stuff - like "I wanna hold your hand" etc... But either side of that they were so much more. They were pretty much done and dusted before Led Zep had even started fully...

Led Zep are almost what people would go to after The Beatles, I guess - you'd have the pop years when you're a teenager, you'd get their cool weird stuff as your fallopian tubes kick in and then then once you're old enough you'd get ploughed to Led Zep :p

I don't think they're even comparable. They're just too... separated, I guess - It'd be like comparing Led Zeppelin and Rick James or something, y'know?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Fab4 8 Mar 2013 10:39:21 5,997 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    Led Zep, no hesitation.
    Not a fan of the Fab 4 then?
    That's not what Fab4 relates to ;)
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Mar 2013 10:42:25 10,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Zeppelin, not even close.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• graysonavich 8 Mar 2013 10:44:12 7,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Biscuits or wallpaper??!?!?!? GUYS?!?
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 10:44:13
    That Lemon Song is pretty good.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 10:45:00
    HairyArse wrote:
    You need to give Bowie more of a chance. For years I thought I didn't like him. Boy was I wrong.
    100% this. I've gone from 'not bothered' to big fan upon buying his best of a couple of years ago because I thought I should as he's important. At first I gave it a few cursory listens and then something clicked and now I'm eagerly awaiting his new LP to drop through mt letterbox.

Going to have to buy a few of his back cat up too methinks.
  • Lukus 8 Mar 2013 10:48:17 19,050 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wings. They're only the band the Beatles could have been.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 8 March 2013 10:48:27
    Helter Skelter pretty much created the genre that Led Zep would straddle so for that alone Beatles should at least have a Zephead's thanks.
  • Trafford 8 Mar 2013 10:50:08 5,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Baby boomer rock FTL
  • Maturin 8 Mar 2013 10:51:41 2,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Only band close to zeppelin for me is Sabbath but only their first three albums. After the first three they because only very good.

Paranoid album is just o_O.
    Zep were my favourite band, probably for the last 20 years. But in recent times I'm favouring Black Sabbath. And I like all eras of the group. In fact I like the Dio albums the most. Headless Cross with Tony Martin is one of their best albums. Some cracking tracks on that.

Edited by Maturin at 10:51:55 08-03-2013
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 10:58:06
    HairyArse wrote:
    Squeeze me baby, 'til the juice runs down my leg.
  • graysonavich 8 Mar 2013 11:01:39 7,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Wings. They're only the band the Beatles could have been.
    :D
  • Whizzo 8 Mar 2013 11:04:47 43,093 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My office has Planet Rock on the radio, I think my answer is obvious.

It's not The Beatles.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Maturin 8 Mar 2013 11:09:35 2,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    Squeeze me baby, 'til the juice runs down my leg.
    I see your Lemon Song and raise you Whole Lotta Love.

"Shake for me girl, I want to be your back door man."
  • andytheadequate 8 Mar 2013 12:39:09 8,132 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What a strange question, they aren't remotely similar to each other. I prefer Led Zep but only because I prefer that type of music more.

I prefer Free to Led Zep though. No one can sing blues rock as well as Paul Rodgers
  • timetraveler 8 Mar 2013 14:49:28 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Beatles :D
  • ronuds 8 Mar 2013 15:10:15 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Great that most of the top rock bands were British! Stones, zeppelin, Beatles, Sabbath etc etc.
    American money and influence, though it does seem to be British bands that benefitted most.

British creative talent continues to be important. It's that one thing that almost makes me patriotic.
    It's also a BBC poll. Just sayin'.

I'd say Zeppelin is my #1 of the two.
  • FuzzyDuck 8 Mar 2013 15:55:36 4,032 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Warlockuk hits it on the head, I dunno how people dismiss The Beatles as pop; they clearly haven't explored their later albums. Still catchy, absolutely, but I reckon the likes of Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road were pretty mind expanding at the time.

Personally, I like a greater number of Zep's albums, but enjoy the aforementioned latter day Beatles stuff more. And Frank Zappa eats both of them for breakfast anyway :D

Also, pepsipop should really get some Sabbath Vol. 4 on the go - Wheels of Confusion, Snowblind and Under The Sun are some of their best songs!
  • RobTheBuilder 8 Mar 2013 15:57:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Both are great bands. The Beatles had a bigger impact across more types of music.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 16:08:37
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Also, pepsipop should really get some Sabbath Vol. 4 on the go - Wheels of Confusion, Snowblind and Under The Sun are some of their best songs!
    Great tracks but are they into the void, children of the grave, war pigs,nib, ffairies wear boots etc no :)

Beatles, for rock, were/are commercial.
  • ecureuil 8 Mar 2013 16:12:06 76,730 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Beatles for sure.

I like Led Zeppelin but they did steal loads of songs from other artists and used their financial clout to prevent people from finding out. Pretty shady, but they're still a great band.
  • FuzzyDuck 8 Mar 2013 16:24:46 4,032 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Great tracks but are they into the void, children of the grave, war pigs,nib, ffairies wear boots etc no :)

Ha, well I LOVE the first 5 Sabbath albums equally (oh and you missed Hand Of Doom from your list ;)).

Doesn't matter if a band is commercial or not, it's the quality of what's offered that counts. And Zeppelin were one of, if not the biggest band of the 70s, so are just as commercial as The Beatles. In fact, Zep and The Beatles are probably the most commercial bands I own records by.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 16:37:53
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Ha, well I LOVE the first 5 Sabbath albums equally (oh and you missed Hand Of Doom from your list ;)).

Doesn't matter if a band is commercial or not, it's the quality of what's offered that counts. And Zeppelin were one of, if not the biggest band of the 70s, so are just as commercial as The Beatles. In fact, Zep and The Beatles are probably the most commercial bands I own records by.
    In my head commercial means all the radio stations play it. All the mums love it etc. Like a modern will I am and Britney spear /mouth pukes.

Now way back when all the pop kids loved beatles, all the mums.

Led zeppelins first three albums were not played much on radio, they didn't even release singles. The music djs and journalists hated it and slagged them off.

The reason led zeppelin broke the largest audiences rrecords tge Beatles held was word of mouth at how fookin awesome the music really was.

Beatles had a nice helping hand as the people in power loved them and would play their music non stop.

Of course I'm not comparing Beatles to will I /pukes....as the Beatles are awesome. Just saying they commercial.

Led zeppelins first album that had themmaking commercial waves was 4 with stairway to heaven. That got them mainstream but they didn't need it as had already smashed tour attendance records.

I just re checked what you said as I've rabbited on for so long. Basically led zeppelin were popular but never really commercial.

Even now ask your average person and they know the Beatles and their hits from x factor etc but most don't know led zeppelins music even though they are the second biggest selling band in history.

I could go on but I'm sure you're bored. :)
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 16:39:54
    Why you hatin' on Britney?
  • FuzzyDuck 8 Mar 2013 16:53:48 4,032 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zep sounded and looked commercial though; clean production, the early albums were basically jumped up blues records (that's not a slight on them) and released albums on Atlantic, one of the biggest record labels on the go.

It's like saying Pantera or Slayer aren't commercial metal because Metallica are/were bigger.

Re: the Britney Spears comment, music can still have merit and be altogether commercial and pop without having to be asinine and braindead, eg. Foo Fighters, Fleetwood Mac, (old) Green Day, The Smiths, Carole King, Billy Joel, etc.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 16:59:54
    Boo all of them have little merit :) I'm pretty anti commercial music although not exclusively.

Led zeppelin were signed to Atlantic yes but they were disliked by the press and didn't look commercial at all for the time. Not like that clean Beatles look. Zeppelin were too busy trashing hotels and doing heroin.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 17:01:38
    YOU WEREN'T EVEN ALIVE BACK THEN!
  • kinky_mong 8 Mar 2013 17:12:33 10,137 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CCR.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Page

of 9 First / Last