Scientology advert Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 14:06:30 59,860 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IIRC, they falsely tried to implicate a british journalist in a murder when he wrote a smear piece on them.

Cunts to a man.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 14:08:38 59,860 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Please dont implicate me in murder, xenu.

• MetalDog 28 Feb 2013 14:10:02 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @elstoof
    Do you think there's any chance he's looking for an excuse to reconsider with this latest batch of contact?
    I think there are probably hints and tips from people who have suffered the same with family members as to how to keep the helping hand extended without either scaring them off or getting dragged in. I would imagine any kind of attack of the beliefs would just drive them further away - no one was ever converted in any direction by being called an arsehole.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• elstoof 28 Feb 2013 14:10:13 7,278 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Forgot to add, I don't think for one second he's actually happy as a result, he's just invested far too much in it to admit the past 9 years have been bullshit. He's far too proud for that.
  • glaeken 28 Feb 2013 14:10:33 11,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elstoof That is interesting. I guess I am a very sceptical person so it's quite difficult for me to understand how people can get caught up by such things. I actually had someone try and get me into Amway when I was a youngster and initially I was a little suckered by the presentation they showed but when I actually thought about it over the next day or two I realised it was bullshit. I guess I just feel given a chance to reflect on bullshit most people will spot it for what it is.
  • elstoof 28 Feb 2013 14:14:45 7,278 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, I don't think he's trying to get out of it either, he's got too much to lose. It's an odd situation. He still devoted pretty much all of his time to it and still talks about it passionately, I just don't think he gets any of the enlightenment he's convinced himself he's getting.
  • MetalDog 28 Feb 2013 14:24:09 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    From what I've read, they put you in a position where you're wholly reliant upon them. They are your job, your social life, your 'home' life - very difficult to break away once it reaches that point. It's hard enough to quit a regular job because of the upheaval and insecurity - quitting when it will put you on the street and/or have people actively harassing you to come back - yikes.

You're right though, the self identity thing must be huge. You see it with people and their (fairly ordinary) jobs, some people and their 'stuff', they lose the things they think are an intrinsic part of their identity and it's wiggy time.

• glaeken 28 Feb 2013 14:24:09 11,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @MetalDog All bad stuff but I think they get more publicity than they really merit due to the Hollywood connection.

I remember reading the below article a while back about trying to come up with the actual number of scientologists worldwide which I found interesting.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/07/scientologists_1.php

One of the numbers if you don't want to trawl through the whole thing is in England and Wales they determined Scientology had 1,781 active members.
  • MetalDog 28 Feb 2013 14:25:58 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's reassuring numbers =)
    No bad thing to have a light shone on them though. The more people who know what the 'stress tests' are the better, at least they wouldn't be going in blind.

• SClaw 28 Feb 2013 14:29:28 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quite rare to hear a personal story about this beyond the headline grabbers. I think itís important people share these experiences, as there is obviously an immense cost to family and friends of those taken in by the scheme.

Scientology is not, of course, alone in using these tactics (some Born Again Christian groups were/are like this as well Ė and they often target children) but itís certainly the most prominent.

As an aside, Iím aware they have an office in central Brum but I havenít seen them out and about for ages. SomeÖ ten years ago maybeÖ they had a huge ass tent up in front of the NIA I recall, but it wasnít around for long. I canít actually say Iíve seen them in public other than that, at least not visibly obviously.
  • glaeken 28 Feb 2013 14:33:13 11,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After looking at the break down on religious numbers in the US I actually think it's the Mennonites we actually need to watch out for.
  • warlockuk 28 Feb 2013 14:35:52 19,163 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1,781 too many.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• MetalDog 28 Feb 2013 14:38:48 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @SClaw
    Yep, I have a born-again church to thank for my sister sending me letters telling me what a horrible Wrong Sort of Christian I am, haha. She seems to have given up on that after hearing nothing but silence for a year or so though. Probably thinks I'm going to Hell.

• Adamical 28 Feb 2013 14:41:35 314 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Scientology is worse for its outright exploitation of its members, but Christianity tops them all through sheer numbers, thus being the greatest hindrance to society.

If anyone wants to feel embarrassed for people, watch Bill Maher's 'Religulous'. It focuses almost entirely on America, but it's got some cracking rhetoric.

He talks to a US Senator, y'know, a powerful man in the US, who believes in Adam and Eve and the talking snake and such. A grown man. Seriously.

Honestly, if religion weren't so infuriatingly backwards, I'd be impressed with its ability to indoctrinate.
  • glaeken 28 Feb 2013 14:46:15 11,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't really care what people believe in overall and I think it's worth remembering for us non-believers that if you look at the situation globally we are well and truly out numbered. I actually think if people can believe stuff that makes them happier then that's just fine I am just not built that way.

Just specifically on Scientology I think it's the smallest of small niche religions which just happens to have an awesome publicity department. It's nasty but it's not something to lose sleep over.
  • elstoof 28 Feb 2013 14:48:22 7,278 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If he's a good Senator and uses his power for the benefit of the people, why should what he chooses to believe be of any consequence to you or Bill Maher?

Seriously, there's nothing worse than a militant atheist.
  • kalel 28 Feb 2013 14:49:03 87,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Seriously, there's nothing worse than a militant atheist.
    Seriously, there really is.
  • elstoof 28 Feb 2013 14:51:07 7,278 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Examples please.
  • Adamical 28 Feb 2013 14:52:13 314 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does it not worry you that a person in a position of power strongly believes and willingly defends a story of unequivocal nonsense?
  • nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 14:52:33 59,860 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Militant Christians, Mulsims, Scientologist, Cat Lovers.

• SClaw 28 Feb 2013 14:52:55 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    YeahÖ people can believe whatever the hell they want. Thereís nothing I hate more than people who are dismissive of others beliefs Ė itís incredibly rude if nothing else. I have no issue with folk thinking they descended from Adam and Eve and so on; the issue is when they try to pimp it out to other people, thatís all. Believe what you want, let me believe what I want and weíll both go on our merry way no harm, no foul. Thatís how it should be.
  • kalel 28 Feb 2013 14:55:07 87,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Examples please.
    Militant atheists are obnoxious vocal wankers, but are pretty harmless in general compared to the militant theist.
  • elstoof 28 Feb 2013 14:55:38 7,278 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Adamical wrote:
    Does it not worry you that a person in a position of power strongly believes and willingly defends a story of unequivocal nonsense?
    Well no. The Queen believes it, does it worry you that she is the head of the commonwealth?
  • MetalDog 28 Feb 2013 14:56:23 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep. It's not what you believe, it's how it makes you treat other people that really counts. Especially to the other people.

Definitely more problematic in positions of power though.

• nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 14:56:45 59,860 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, its my general theory of self determinism that im going to employ when I grind this country beneath my boot.

You can think what you like. Believe the world was created by pink elephants if you like, just dont try to force me to believe it or damn me for rejecting your views or I will put you in a concentration camp.

• elstoof 28 Feb 2013 14:57:53 7,278 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Militant anything is equally as bad as the other but at least a militant theist believes he's helping in some way wether its true or not. A militant atheists agenda is purely to remove the comfort that many people gain from their faith. They're essentially sweetie snatchers.
  • glaeken 28 Feb 2013 14:57:59 11,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 14:58:18 59,860 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Adamical wrote:
    Well no. The Queen believes it, does it worry you that she is the head of the commonwealth?
    No, because the only real power she has is that of deciding which tv channel her and philip should watch.

• elstoof 28 Feb 2013 14:58:49 7,278 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @glaeken context glaeken, context.
  • monkman76 28 Feb 2013 14:59:04 4,232 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @elstoof Name some murders committed purely in the name of atheism.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last