Best/Worst Game Beginnings of this generation

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • alexm 27 Feb 2013 16:34:44 267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Browsing the classics of this generation thread and finally getting round to Arkham City made me think about this.

Arkham City

The opening ten minutes are so confidently directed, it feels like you're playing a great blockbuster's opening credits. The clumsy fighting of the handcuffed Bruce Wayne is a really nice touch and teases you for the amazing combat you can't quite yet access.

I love the way it finally gives over total control to the player with Batman perched on a high-building, overlooking the sprawl of Arkham and ready to jump off - the one thing everyone who bought this would have been looking forward to. A less worthy game would have to hold back on this moment for a long-time for fear of peaking too early.

It's like a polar-opposite of the monstrosity of AC3's meandering opening hours. I have nothing against slow beginnings to games if there's a sound narrative reason behind it.

Uncharted 2:

Also throws you straight into the action in media resbefore jumping to a great cut-scene in a bar to start the story. So much unfolds before you get back to the train that you do genuinely forget about it until you are back there - a sign of really good story-telling.
  • ecureuil 27 Feb 2013 16:35:32 76,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bioshock..
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Feb 2013 16:38:45 10,613 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Bioshock..
    That'll be hard to beat.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• LeoliansBro 27 Feb 2013 16:40:05 43,845 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DayZ. Seriously.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MetalDog 27 Feb 2013 16:40:28 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, Bioshock's beginning is right up there for me.

Extended openings - Fallout 3. That sun-blinded stumble out of the vault to see the wastelands for the first time was a pretty special moment.

Struggling to think of an opening that really pissed me off this gen... the last one I remember making me grind my teeth and wish the devs harm was Okami. Not just for the length, but that fucking noise.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 27 February 2013 16:40:55
    A.c.3 for beginning and end.
  • MetalDog 27 Feb 2013 16:41:20 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LeoliansBro
    When is the standalone of DayZ coming? Interested, but will probably opt for that rather then messing with mods since it's immanent, if memory serves?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• the_dudefather 27 Feb 2013 16:45:31 9,288 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bayonetta

Either listing to the the background lore of the game narrated to you while you fight angels on the side of a giant clock falling through space, or the entire Graveyard sequence

[youtube] cHErkTdxJFU[/youtube]

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• alexm 27 Feb 2013 16:46:06 267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bioshock's opening was alright but didn't blow me away - that's probably my own fault for hearing a lot about the game beforehand. I wonder who was lucky enough to play that opening blind with NO idea what would happen after the planecrash.
  • Concrete 27 Feb 2013 16:48:29 574 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Worst start has got to be Binary Domain, drab, bleak, annoying characters, dodgy frame rate, bad mini-games and clichéd plot elements. And soon as you get out of the sewers it becomes rather excellent.

Oh, and Deadly Premonition, that first thirty minutes with terrible combat, horrible graphics, instant deaths, standardized zombies and boring puzzles . . which then blossoms out into lovely weirdness/mentalism.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2013 16:48:31
    Bulletstorm

Thought the opening was awesome. The gun turret, the walk down the side of the building, the interrogation. Loved it.
  • alexm 27 Feb 2013 16:51:53 267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Concrete

Both great shouts. I probably should have stuck with Binary Domain then.

I reckon Deadly Premonition would have worked better if you'd started in the car driving to the town.
  • ecureuil 27 Feb 2013 16:54:27 76,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Minecraft (PC) has one of the best game beginnings. It just drops you in to the world with no hints whatsoever, no guides, you're just there.
  • DaM 27 Feb 2013 16:54:48 12,999 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Yeah, Bioshock's beginning is right up there for me.

Extended openings - Fallout 3. That sun-blinded stumble out of the vault to see the wastelands for the first time was a pretty special moment.
    That was great - a post-apocalyptic version of the same scene in Oblivion. Coming out of the sewer truly launched this generation for me.
  • Gambit1977 27 Feb 2013 16:54:58 9,583 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @BillCityfingers Yeah, it was great.
  • graysonavich 27 Feb 2013 16:56:28 7,321 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Minecraft (PC) has one of the best game beginnings. It just drops you in to the world with no hints whatsoever, no guides, you're just there.
    Pre-release it did. Have you seen it in the last 6 months or so? It's a mess of NPCs and quest objectives.
  • RedSparrows 27 Feb 2013 16:56:45 22,343 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bioshock's opening was superb, I bought it off the strength of that from the demo.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2013 16:57:41
    ecureuil wrote:
    Like Garry's mod, Sim City, every single Sim management game ever?
  • ModishNouns 27 Feb 2013 16:57:53 4,655 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I stumbled around like a mong for so long, running away from radroaches and getting lost that it was dark when I finally left the vault. Still quite effective.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2013 16:58:46
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    @BillCityfingers Yeah, it was great.
    That whole opening to that game was one of my highest gaming points ever this generation in fact, not just best introduction. Just wasn't expecting it to be that, dunno, epic I suppose. That's a game I would sorely love a sequel for.
  • ecureuil 27 Feb 2013 17:01:18 76,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Like Garry's mod, Sim City, every single Sim management game ever?
    Yeah, but my point is the following gameplay hours, whatever you do, is magic. However you go about discovering how to play the game, the first cave you find, the items you build, etc. I should probably have clarified that. I wouldn't say the journey of discovery in Sim City is quite as wonderful (great game though it is).
  • kalel 27 Feb 2013 17:04:10 87,157 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Portal 2 opening was very good, as is every Valve game.
  • magicpanda 27 Feb 2013 17:05:16 13,347 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah Minecraft was great the first time. Working out how to make an axe etc. Don't Starve does the same thing quite well.
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Feb 2013 17:06:26 16,985 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I rather liked the opening of Mass Effect 2 with the zero gravity bit. Really quite surprised me and was a lovely effect.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 27 February 2013 17:06:41
    Fallout 3's opening was, for me, hamstrung by the technology. If it went from opening the vault to walking out into the bright light seamlessly, it would have been absolutely amazing. As it was, it was activate the door, look at a loading screen, let the white fade. Even covering up the loading with an FMV would have worked. Still pretty good, though, even if it was an almost identical retread of Oblivion's opening in that sense.
  • neilka 27 Feb 2013 17:08:38 15,869 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Wii U has had a bad beginning followed up by a bad middle.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• bad09 27 Feb 2013 17:10:54 5,783 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dead Space was quite beautiful as was the Batman games but Bioshock has to be the best, was talking about that the best of the generation thread I didn't realise I was actually in the game.

I'm stuck for worst though can't think of a terrible one.
  • JoeGBallad 27 Feb 2013 17:11:42 383 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Platinum have a habit of having really fucking good openings, with Bayonetta and Vanquish both featuring as classics.

Metal Gear Rising trumps them both with one of my favourite ever game openings. The Ray bossfight, the clock tower, the train, the sewer chase. Love it.

Honourable mentions:

Final Fantasy XIII - Yes, yous will all hate it, but I liked how you hit the ground running and it kept that way, well past when you thought 'right this will slow down now'

Skyward Sword - pretty much the opposite to FFXIII, you're slowly introduced to a world and characters that, well, I fell in love with. Then Zelda is taken away and the adventure begins.

Dishonourable discharges:

MGS4 - I made the mistake of choosing to watch the briefing first. If I hadn't, this would have been one of the strongest, but as first impressions go, that briefing was one of the worst.

Ghost Trick - This is one of my favourite games of recent years, and definitely one of my favourite plots ever (seriously, it's so well written and beautiful and clever and just play it) but the opening does everything it can to test your patience. Instead of letting you experiment and naturally discover how the game works, it takes control away from you for a very long time. It really is worth sticking with though. A brilliant, rewarding experience.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• King_Edward 27 Feb 2013 17:18:33 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mass Effect had a great intro. 2 and 3 just had explosions but the first game had Shepard walk down a corridor and look at a screen. It was awesome.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous