Registered 6 years ago
    The first level from the Japanese version

Apparently the review embargo lifts today

Edited by roz123 at 09:50:25 21-03-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 21 Mar 2013 10:02:14 13,308 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir

When I saw your first 'after 5 minutes' post I nearly wrote something mean like 'jesus just play it for a while before you come on to spout a million words' but for whatever reason (possibly something shiny distracted me) I didn't. And I'm glad, because actually it's been really nice to vicariously experience the game through your posts and it would've soured the thread.

So I'm smacking myself on the hands (very roughly) for being so dismissive. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a question though: is the game mainly in Japanese or is it the blend of Japanese and English that would allow an English speaker to get by in the game? I've been tempted to pick this up from the import place nearby...
  • roz123 21 Mar 2013 17:06:01 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Launch Trailer

I guess the embargo has passed as a load of reviews just popped up
    http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-review/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10248-Luigis-Mansion-Dark-Moon-Review-Second-Player-No-More

http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-review/

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-luigis-mansion-dark-moon/

Edited by roz123 at 17:06:13 21-03-2013
  • javvyman 21 Mar 2013 17:47:53 708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reviews are looking good, wish I preordered that Boo ghost version now.
  • Kay 21 Mar 2013 19:04:08 17,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Phattso 3DS isn't region-free though, remember!

Only a week away now anyway.
  • roz123 21 Mar 2013 19:07:55 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    IGNs review is worth reading as its by Keza Macdonald
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/21/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-review
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 19:18:22
    Whats special about that person?
  • spamdangled 21 Mar 2013 19:20:44 27,276 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The review in this month's GamesTM was 9/10. Pretty stoked for this now.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• SuperCoolEskimo 21 Mar 2013 19:24:54 9,794 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pocketgamer also gave it a 9/10.

Tempted to get a XL for this.
  • roz123 21 Mar 2013 19:25:13 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Whats special about that person?
    She worked for Eurogamer
  • Murbal 21 Mar 2013 20:32:15 22,104 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh ffs. I'm trying to resist this one for now but I'll probably cave!
  • elstoof 21 Mar 2013 21:21:20 7,046 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cancelled my preorder today, got too much on the back burner to justify it and these 1st party Nintendo games never go away - or come down in price.

Plus I'm a bit worried about firing the 3DS up. No OLED screen? The horror!
  • Kay 21 Mar 2013 22:09:54 17,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having played almost exclusively on the Vita for the last couple of months, I'm a little worried about that too! But I'm sure it won't matter after a few minutes of play, good art design always shines through.
  • JinTypeNoir 21 Mar 2013 22:17:00 4,383 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    15 hours in:

Dear Eurogamers,

It is with a sad heart that I must bid farewell to you. The mansions have captured my heart so completely that I find myself going back to complete old missions not just to gain medals or secrets, but to have fun creating horror stories for my Dear Little Friend (or DLF), Luigi and reveling again in the fun cutscenes and terror-filled scenarios. Walking through the mansions in tip-toe so that my DLF will hum the tune and shake his feet is all sorts of fun, as is pressing the various directions on the d-pad so that my DLF will call out in different ways. It is a strange and curious change of pace to the mad rush to time attack the stage, but no less relevant or fun. Alas, my addiction is so complete, I am afraid I will not be coming back from the mansions.

In what has to be one of the most harrowing first boss battles in the history of Nintendo games, I finally bested the first boss with just a sliver of life left. I cannot believe how intricate and involved this first stand-off with the undead was. Somehow, by combining shocking twists and a deadly difficult level, this was actually somewhat scary. It is surprising how this colorful game can manage to freak you out. Some places remind me of my earlier exhibitions in the Arbiter's Grounds or the Shadow Temple or even my fight against the Eternal Darkness many years ago.

To my infinite surprise, recovering a piece of that dastardly fabled dark moon for that damnably childish professor had interesting results. When the professor put it into his infernal gem-polishing gizamagoo gadget, the fog in Ghost Canyons peeled back to reveal a mysterious ___________.
    Naturally exploration was the order of the day! Thus, I set off with my DLF and trudged into _________. What wonders did I see! As the camera panned back to reveal not precisely a mansion, but twin _________ and a wondrous _________ infected with slime, glimmer moss and spectral light. I set off immediately exploring and was dumbfounded by both the spectacular quality of the new music in my environs and the astounding freshness of all the new gimmicks they afforded for my flashlight, Dark Light and O-vacuum.

Oh! If only real life were this stimulating! Where an ___________ filled with __________ who wield _________ and charge at you were so infernally tricky to get a handle with that I lost a life battling just one of them. And to say nothing of that gigantic ________! What a disgusting spectral entity. I must admit I still don't know the trick for dealing with him, as I came close to dying before I had avoid his goopy, drippy attacks, the reviling cad. And pray, what is the meaning of that hidden ________ underneath the __________? since you can __________ in that conservatory, I guess it has more meaning than the ______________ lying on the _______ would suggest. I will make a note to come back later and explore more thoroughly.

Oh what a joy it is to discover all these new tricks and scenarios! Oh what fun to peek into new corners and discover ghoulies and apparitions misbehaving in the most curious ways! Oh what fun it is walk slowly with my DLF as he hums this (if the ladies present will excuse a gentleman a moment's relapse into pub rhetoric) kick ass new music too. Oh what fun it is be stumped several times with no help from the professor or anyone else! Oh that fiendishly fun cutscene that played when I finally managed to fix the ________, which in typical Luigi's Mansion fashion was in as roundabout a way as human design can make it. Oh what a joy it was to get a mission to go ________, have a clearly marked entrance that led there and then be surprised and daunted several times by how I couldn't quite do that, the game fishing me around increasingly maze-like interwined environs into lands of increasingly bizarre and dangerous design. And the final surprise of that machine? Oh, I did not expect that. No indeed.

I must go now. For I must find other friends for my DLF, as I hear the charms of Terror Towers calling me. Beckoning me to the infinite and what my lies beyond. Oh my heart! Oh my soul! Luigi's Mansions are the end and the all for me!

Sincerely,

Dr. Tom Phan

P.S.
    jack24 wrote:
    Thankyou for impressions, is ten hours your total time including multiplayer?
    Yes, indeed, good sir.

P.P.S.

Do you play with 3D on? Is the effect decent?
    Yes, of course I played with 3D. I am not one of the sycophantic dildos who can't bear the sight of it. And my god! The original was screaming for 3D. It only stands to reason the sequel would make excellent use of it since the Gamecube itself was originally designed to output 3D before they dropped the idea and kept the original game instead. It is more than decent, you guttersnipe! You will address it as Mr. 3D from now on. Is that understood? Yes? Well then, off you go, lad.

P.P.P.S

Phattso wrote:
    Here's a question though: is the game mainly in Japanese or is it the blend of Japanese and English that would allow an English speaker to get by in the game? I've been tempted to pick this up from the import place nearby...
    The game is entirely in Japanese and the chase is entirely afoot in that language, I'm afraid. My DLF of course, only speaks Italian or English, as that's the way its always been, but he doesn't talk very often any way. Every one else speaks Japanese and it is perilously important that a master archeologist be able to understood the Dark Moon Speech in order to peril out the puzzles and objectives. I would imagine one would get hopelessly lost without it. It is of course, possible, but an already difficult endeavor would get significantly moreso, going only by sound and visual clues alone. You may of course, touch the bottom screen's parchment icon to access mission objectives and then touch the yellow (what we Japanese call fukidashi) "!" icons to have the map highlight where to go next, but that's about all the help you can expect if you cannot speak like the Romans do.
  • riz23 21 Mar 2013 22:41:56 1,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JTN you never disappoint!
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Mar 2013 22:46:35 10,622 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I rarely touch my DS unless travelling but I can't resist this, looks cracking!

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 21 March 2013 22:51:17
    Ah crap, due to limited finances it's this or MH3U and Jin's write ups make me want this more! :<
  • Phattso Moderator 22 Mar 2013 01:48:18 13,308 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    @Phattso 3DS isn't region-free though, remember!

Only a week away now anyway.
    Ah balls, forgot about that own goal. Sounds like it's not gonna be a Westerner friendly import anyways.

Guess I'll pick it up next time I'm back in the UK. Might even be cheaper by then. :)
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 08:51:53 10,622 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    EG REview is up

"The cherry on top is the presentation, which is stunning by any standards, never mind for a handheld game. The exquisite animation, striking lighting and evocative set design always have their best side to a camera that never puts a foot wrong - and every angle is positioned to make the best of the 3D effect, which turns the meticulously detailed interiors into a living doll's house in your hands. It's gorgeous, as close to a playable cartoon as anything since Zelda: The Wind Waker. That's a big name to drop, but if Luigi's return doesn't quite put him in that class, it puts him in the running among Nintendo's finest. Here's hoping it doesn't go to his lovely, stupid, fallible head."

• Murbal 22 Mar 2013 08:59:04 22,104 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh ffs.
  • vyseofhr 22 Mar 2013 09:01:16 822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't wait for next Thursday!

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Bremenacht 22 Mar 2013 14:30:15 17,852 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am quite looking forward to getting a 3DS now. I'm almost completely won over.
  • elstoof 22 Mar 2013 14:38:09 7,046 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck, regretting cancelling the order now.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2013 14:40:08
    yeah same! i had to buy a beard trimmer instead. I can still order though. Got a week!
  • DaM 22 Mar 2013 14:44:12 13,000 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Son's birthday on the 30th :)
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 14:52:46 10,622 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I wonder for how long I can resist upgrading to a 3ds XL.
    Can I copy my Ambasaddor games over?

• mikew1985 22 Mar 2013 15:02:17 12,672 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I wonder for how long I can resist upgrading to a 3ds XL.
    Can I copy my Ambasaddor games over?
    This, because I'm obviously some sort of fucking idiot.

I was so close to going out and trading in my launch model this morning. In addition PS Plus is making me stupidly compelled to buy a new PS3.

I'll probably end up doing both, playing neither and just sticking on the PC as usual.
  • elstoof 22 Mar 2013 15:05:05 7,046 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cock it, order back on!
  • elstoof 22 Mar 2013 15:06:07 7,046 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just spent 2k on a sewing machine.

THIS BETTER BE GOOD NINTENDO
  • Raiko101 22 Mar 2013 19:25:38 6,224 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mikew1985 You need to do a system transfer, which involves having both machines at the same time, momentarily. HMV in Bristol allowed me to tranfer my data before trading my old 3DS in against the XL. They don't have to do this, but if you ask nicely enough, or explain the situation to an employee and they might sort you out.

It means you get to keep your ambassador games though, which look great on the bigger screen.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Page

of 5 First / Last