The Horsemeat Scandal Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• President_Weasel 15 Feb 2013 09:26:22 9,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mal wrote:
    There's really no health aspect to this story IMO. According to the news earlier, you'd need to eat hundreds of 100% horse burgers to even get a single human dose of this stuff.

What's more concerning is the lack of control and transparency in our meat supply trade, especially when it comes to processed meat. Investigations are digging up some interesting characters like Jan Fasen who has a history of mislabelling horsemeat as halal beef, who somehow was still allow to trade in meat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21464287

Edit: Also, that's not how you spell scandal.
    Mal is entirely correct. This is what happens with an insufficently regulated free market.

Personally I am entirely happy to eat horse meat if it's fit for human consumption - but if we're getting horse labelled as beef, how can we trust anything else about the meat we're getting from Findus, or Tesco, or a bunch of other companies who clearly don't have proper controls on their supply chain?
    "of course it's beef", "of course it's free from dangerous drugs" "of course it's not rotten" "of course it wasn't marked "not fit for human consumption".
  • LeoliansBro 15 Feb 2013 09:28:22 43,632 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't the problem more that the presence of horse meat shows we don't know where the food we're eating comes from, or more specifically that people are prepared to lie about what we are being sold to eat.

The amount of drugs that get pumped into the average racehorse is huge, for starters.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• TheSaint 15 Feb 2013 09:34:28 14,260 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it's safe to assume that you aren't eating Shergar, more likely to be some malnourished nag owned by some gypos.
  • Trane 15 Feb 2013 09:36:03 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Edited by Trane at 09:54:24 15-02-2013
  • LeoliansBro 15 Feb 2013 09:36:11 43,632 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Point is we don't know.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deckard1 15 Feb 2013 09:36:13 27,570 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Am I the only one who really couldn't give a shit about any of this?

Hush you ponce

• Lexx87 15 Feb 2013 09:37:42 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope.

Well I find in interesting in like how it will all come out in the end and who was has been behind it how it happened etc.

Speak the truth hussy!

• nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 09:39:25 59,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    There's really no health aspect to this story IMO.
    Except for, y'know, unregulated meat entering the food chain so, quite apart from the drugs issue, they could be dumping half rotten cuts with flies buzzing around them into the mix.

Because clearly health and safety isnt very near the top of their agendas.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• neilka 15 Feb 2013 09:39:27 15,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We should start making lasagne out of immigrants and kill two birds with one stone.
  • magicpanda 15 Feb 2013 09:39:53 13,324 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I couldn't give a toss that it's horse as long as I know I'm eating horse.

It's like a chef spitting in your food. If I found out I would go in the kitchen and punch the motherfucker right in the neck.
  • nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 09:40:42 59,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Am I the only one who really couldn't give a shit about any of this?
    Im concerned not because I dont want to eat horse meat but because I dont want to eat meat from a pikeys horse that has been laid on an abbatoir floor for a few weeks with rats knawing on it.

He totally called it

• pinebear 15 Feb 2013 09:41:22 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aren't scandles made out of leather anyway? So what's the problem here?

• Blerk Moderator 15 Feb 2013 09:41:33 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry, I had to fix the spelling. It was doing my nut every time I looked at the forum. :D
  • TheSaint 15 Feb 2013 09:41:38 14,260 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I would be more bothered if I thought I might have eaten some of this crap.
  • Deckard1 15 Feb 2013 09:42:36 27,570 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone who's ever ate a hot dog, a sausage, a hamburger, a kebab, processed chicken or any other shit like that shouldn't really be too bothered about this. We've been eating mashed up spine, brain and snot all our lives, a bit of donkey isn't going to do us any harm.

Hush you ponce

• magicpanda 15 Feb 2013 09:44:00 13,324 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't mind a bit of arsehole, eyelid and lips as long as I know that's exactly what it is.
  • graysonavich 15 Feb 2013 09:44:25 7,319 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The point is that the mashed up spine, brain and snot is all regulated. The horse coming from 3rd world abattoirs aren't.
  • TheSaint 15 Feb 2013 09:45:18 14,260 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It also makes you think that maybe the FSA should be a bit more proactive about randomly testing food for sale to the public.
  • neilka 15 Feb 2013 09:45:46 15,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    I don't mind a bit of arsehole
    Q-q-quoted
  • mal 15 Feb 2013 09:49:51 22,407 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    mal wrote:
    There's really no health aspect to this story IMO.
    Except for, y'know, unregulated meat entering the food chain so, quite apart from the drugs issue, they could be dumping half rotten cuts with flies buzzing around them into the mix.

Because clearly health and safety isnt very near the top of their agendas.
    Very true. The 'story' I was referring to was the Bute contamination story that our Billy was trying to pimp.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 09:53:24 59,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, then yeah, the drugs are the very least of your worries in this instance.

He totally called it

• Deckard1 15 Feb 2013 09:56:37 27,570 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    The point is that the mashed up spine, brain and snot is all regulated. The horse coming from 3rd world abattoirs aren't.
    I dunno how much regulation goes on in the production of kebab meat. The meat gets its distinct flavour from the scrapings of the mattresses of recently deceased old people.

Hush you ponce

• Dougs 15 Feb 2013 10:01:35 67,016 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mmmm, tangy!
  • MetalDog 15 Feb 2013 10:06:15 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Years ago, I saw a programme about food health inspectors checking out a kebab shop and I watched them cut open one of those spinney elephant legs (which had been extensively whittled, so a lot of it was out there in the world, in people). Inside it was full of maggots.

It's not often something I see on TV can produce body wide shuddering, but that was one of them.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• grey_matters 15 Feb 2013 10:06:56 3,687 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:

It's like a chef spitting in your food. If I found out I would go in the kitchen and punch the motherfucker right in the neck.
    Whereas if he told you that he had, you wouldn't give a toss?
  • MightyMetalMonkey 15 Feb 2013 10:29:13 600 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A lot of people are missing the important points of the story.
    They are going "So what if it's Horsemeat - I'd eat a properly prepared horseburger" - and so would I [Heck, if it's properly prepared I'd eat a Pandaburger].
    It's not that it's horsemeat, but rather that we were told it was something else.
    They told us it was Beef (expensive to the manufacturer - less profit) and they gave us Horse (cheap to the manufacturer - more profit!).
    They didn't care about health and safety, only profits as per usual...
    One of the reasons the particulare source of horsemeat was so cheap is that it was unregulated and of questionable origin (and may have contained any drugs whatsoever).

So, yes lets eat Horsemeat - as long as we know in advance thats what it is and that it comes from a reliable regulated source.
  • magicpanda 15 Feb 2013 10:32:51 13,324 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    magicpanda wrote:

Whereas if he told you that he had, you wouldn't give a toss?
    No. Clearly.
  • Moot_Point 15 Feb 2013 10:34:30 3,958 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    We should start making lasagne out of immigrants and kill two birds with one stone.
    Haha!

Blerk wrote:
    Sorry, I had to fix the spelling. It was doing my nut every time I looked at the forum. :D
    I am glad one moderator had the sense to correct my typo. ;)

/topic

This subject has no effect on me at all, because I use butchers that source their meat locally to where I live. It costs slightly more that a supermarket, but the quality of the meat is so much better IMO.

The government blame the supermarkets for not testing their products. News article. How can the government pass the buck on this issue when the supermarkets were lied to. Personally, I see it as the governments responsibility through the FSA to make sure what is sold is represented on the packaging.

This could have been going on for decades, ever wondered what "other meat" listed on the ingredients actually is? Well now we know!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Madder-Max 15 Feb 2013 10:42:45 11,639 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently they have found uniquorn in veg lasagnes now

99 problems and being ginger is one

• imamazed 15 Feb 2013 10:45:49 5,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Apparently they have found uniquorn in veg lasagnes now
    And I thought we vegatablists were safe :(
  • Page