Do People need to stop Pre-Ordering?

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 20:40:00 6,007 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So with Colonial Marines was out this week with a review embargo until day of release. We all know why now, it's not the first time and certainly not the last but it highlights the danger of throwing down money on a product you have no clue about other than what you are told in marketing hype (VERY misleading marketing hype in this case). Total Biscuit did a vid on it which had a lots of good points so I thought I'd link it and open the discussion here.

Me personally I find the practice pretty moronic (no offence intended to those of you that do it but that's just my opinion). There is just no point it's not like stock will run out, sure you may be busting a nut to play on launch day but is it really that hard to wait a couple of days especially given that some abuse consumers with pre-order as we see this week with SEGA and Gearbox (who have form with Duke Nukem). Today there is even a story on a dev offering pre-orders on an UNKNOWN game?????

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-14-anomaly-dev-11-bit-studios-offers-50-per-cent-off-pre-orders-on-its-unannounced-game

So what do you think? Damaging to consumers? Damaging to the industry as people get burned? Just a harmless practice to cater for impatient gamers? Discuss.
  • Rodpad 14 Feb 2013 20:41:06 1,957 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Total Biscuit video.

Thread is worthless.
  • NOSAVIOUR 14 Feb 2013 20:45:46 2,804 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Preordering does 2 things for me. Firstly if done at the right time you guarantee a product at a price less than retail, secondly it means I get what I want before release generally. If you have common sense you'd only preorder games that were dead cert AAA's though, or cancel prior to release when mumblings start circulating. It doesn't hurt anyone, no money is taken. Threads worthless.
  • ecu 14 Feb 2013 20:56:00 77,023 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TotalBiscuit tells us we should be patient, maybe he should just not give a fuck? I do agree with many of his points, but as far as I can tell, if you stay out of the whole pre-ordering situation and buy games at your own pace, you miss out on very little.
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 20:56:33 6,007 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @NOSAVIOUR

But what is a "dead cert"? How do you know, because a dev diary told you? A press preview or early footage? Press and gamers are fooled there.

As pre-ordering grows day of release embargoes will increase (we see a fair few already) and gamers do seem to be encouraging it. What if "rumblings" stop circulating just in time, would you still pre-order?
  • spindle9988 14 Feb 2013 20:58:50 3,621 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would say bioshock infinite is a dead cert if u enjoyed the others
  • Oh-Bollox 14 Feb 2013 20:59:26 5,327 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Preorders are not the problem. The press coming to heel is the problem. We should have been warned to steer clear of ACM, the game would have died on its arse, and devs might think twice about such shenanigans in future.

/perfect world
  • nickthegun 14 Feb 2013 21:00:51 60,456 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are dead certs. Its a given that a new halo game will be of a certain standard and, personally, I will buy most things with 'Street Fighter' written on them.

But, yes, largely pre-ordering is a cunts game, orchestrated by people trying to separate idiots from their money.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• NOSAVIOUR 14 Feb 2013 21:02:33 2,804 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @bad09 For me I'd happily preorder Zelda's, Mario's, Metroids, The Last Of Us, Bioshock Inifinite, GTA 5, hat I've seen and played of the new Tomb Raider, Pikmin 3, Crysis 3, the new Gears to name a few. Preorder with common sense and you're fine. If previews are sounding crap you can always cancel.
  • kalel 14 Feb 2013 21:04:59 88,419 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dead cents don't drop quickly in price either, but anyone who preorders something like Max Payne 3 or the new DMC is a mug.
  • MatMan562 14 Feb 2013 21:05:41 2,510 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @bad09 For me it's based on the studio and whether I trust them or not. For example, I will no doubt pre-order Bioshock Infinite and GTAV because they're basically guaranteed to be great games.

I often pre-order my games just one or two weeks before launch when it's pretty clear whether or not the games going to be any good or not. I only usually pre-order instantly if there's a limited edition that I want. I do think I should stop though as I think if I can leave it for one or two days i'm much more likely to wait for a price drop.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Syrette 14 Feb 2013 21:06:22 43,768 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Throwing down money on a game? Don't most sites charge when they dispatch the order? By that point you should probably have an idea if the game is any good; via reviews and/or public opinion from overseas (America get most releases on Tuesday to our Friday).

OP calling us morons is something else though. A lot of people want to get their games on the day of release. How is that moronic? Why should people wait a couple of days unless they're reallllly unsure about a title?

You make it sound like the ACM situation is normal - most embargoes do not last till release day and if they do you can assume it's a firefighting manoeuver by a publisher aware their product is not going to get much love by the press. Some games are almost certainly going to be good.

"Damaging", for fuck's sake. Some people will moan about anything.

• Kid_Icarus 14 Feb 2013 21:10:43 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think "dead cert" probably means big name franchises. You know what you're getting with Mario, CoD or GTA so you're pretty unlikely to feel ripped off.

That said, the only game I've pre-ordered in the last five or so years was Skyward Sword, and that was just to make sure I could get the special edition. It makes sense to just wait a week or two, you avoid buggy games, it'll be a bit cheaper and you usually get the pre-order bonus anyway.
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 21:23:09 6,007 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Syrette

I said the practice is moronic (and that's my opinion I'm not saying I'm right or wrong I just think it's a silly thing to do, just buy it when it's out). Honestly I don't see why you need to bust a gut to get it day one, if I fancy a game at launch I'd go out and buy it it's only a few quid difference. Kid_icarus brings up a good point there to, buggy games, should we realy be in a rush when so many need fixing and often have day one patches?

Point is, while now not many have embargoes up until launch (or at least until pre-orders start getting dispatched) as more people do pre-order there is a danger that may change. That's the discussion I wanted to have, while I do think it is indeed a concerning path to follow I didn't say 100% yes it is damaging but do we need to stop doing it to prevent scam jobs like A:CM becoming more common.
  • Carlo 14 Feb 2013 21:27:52 18,093 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't pre-order Ni no Kuni

I didn't get a copy.

There you go.

PSN ID: Djini

• oceanmotion 14 Feb 2013 21:36:33 16,001 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If I want a game on release I'm not going to spend more not getting it online. I've only pre ordered about four things this console generation and regretted two. I like reading more user feedback and good prices which suits me fine with less time to play.

People buy shit all the time even without reading a review. Media will always have bought reviews or perhaps end up with shite like Zoo or Nuts as their 10\10 plaster on the box.

Just let things be. Sort itself out.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2013 21:38:05
    We are hating on pre-ordering now???
  • oceanmotion 14 Feb 2013 21:41:50 16,001 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The only thing to hate about pre ordering is all the exclusive DLC shite. Fuck that. Does nothing more than make me not want to buy the game.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Feb 2013 21:43:12 38,689 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    Preorders are not the problem. The press coming to heel is the problem. We should have been warned to steer clear of ACM, the game would have died on its arse, and devs might think twice about such shenanigans in future.

/perfect world
    If you were listening, there were quite a few places going "eh, this isn't looking particularly amazing", combined with the long development time the clues to be wary were there.

I mean, I love me some Aliens action and I haven't bought the game. Previews are very rarely out-right negative, but it's possible to tell if there's concerns.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• bad09 14 Feb 2013 21:43:12 6,007 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    I didn't pre-order Ni no Kuni

I didn't get a copy.

There you go.
    Now that's certainly an interesting side to it for the smaller games, but surely the number of games that sell out everywhere is incredibly low? I honestly don't think I have ever come across a game I couldn't find anywhere.
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 21:45:28 6,007 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    The only thing to hate about pre ordering is all the exclusive DLC shite. Fuck that. Does nothing more than make me not want to buy the game.
    Agreed but that is now part of the pre-order system so by pre-ordering people encourage it, publishers know full well gamers hate it but do it anyway for the marketing and while people still pre-order it won't go away.
  • chopsen 14 Feb 2013 22:21:42 16,126 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't supermarkets have new releases for the price as most would offer on a pre-order anyway?
  • Triggerhappytel 14 Feb 2013 22:22:47 2,695 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the only times I've been stung by pre-orders was with Halo 2, Red Faction 2 and Soul Reaver 2, although these all made me a lot more cautious as I was expecting to really enjoy all three. I don't tend to pre-order much any more, but when I do it's usually only with what I consider to be dead certs - such as, for instance, Dark Souls and Uncharted 3. I'll be pre-ordering The Last of Us and probably God of War Ascension as they're both from studios I trust.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2013 22:25:02
    Chopsen wrote:
    Don't supermarkets have new releases for the price as most would offer on a pre-order anyway?
    yeah a lot of the time. Find tescos are good for price matching. But my tesco chart is made up and don't reflect the official chart, and full of shooty shooty bang bang titles. They never bothered to stock ni no kuni for example.
  • Oh-Bollox 14 Feb 2013 22:28:43 5,327 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Oh-Bollox wrote:

/perfect world
    If you were listening, there were quite a few places going "eh, this isn't looking particularly amazing", combined with the long development time the clues to be wary were there.

I mean, I love me some Aliens action and I haven't bought the game. Previews are very rarely out-right negative, but it's possible to tell if there's concerns.
    I was listening. I didn't buy it. You shouldn't have to read the fucking signs, people should say outright.
  • chopsen 14 Feb 2013 22:30:14 16,126 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But pre-ordering only makes sense for big name AAA franchise stuff, which is exactly the type of stuff supermarkets stock. Pre-ordeing anything even vaguely non-mainstream is a gamble. So it never makes sense.
  • Moot_Point 14 Feb 2013 22:33:06 4,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes, mainly because... *Ooh shiney*

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• chopsen 14 Feb 2013 22:35:31 16,126 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, add to that all the posts going "my pre order hasn't turned up, waaa." It really is a game for morons.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2013 22:35:54
    People pre-order?
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous