Weekend in LA

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • altitude2k 12 Feb 2013 12:48:02 3,729 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got a work trip to Cypress in April, and thought I'd take the opportunity to spend the weekend in the LA area before flying back.

Got a few bits I already want to see - The California Science Center to see Endeavour (caught her leaving KSC when I was in Florida last October), and reckon I may stalk out the building from The Office and the Dunphy house from Modern Family (yes, I am a massive geek, but these quite excite me!). Will try and get in the Hollywood sign too between places.

But what other things should I make an effort to see? Any studio tours in particular that are worthwhile?
  • TheSaint 12 Feb 2013 12:59:10 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Universal Studios is really just a theme park, although they do have some sets you can look at such as the plane crash from War of the Worlds and Bates Motel. If you want to see a working studio then Warner Bros is probably the best. When we went they took us around the sets for Two and a half men, Studio 60 and Friends but they change all the time.

Choosing where to stay is tough as the city is massive and public transport is non-existent. The first time we didn't have a car and stayed in Hollywood which was ideal. The second time we had a car and stayed right on the beach in Santa Monica. Staying at the beach was nice but it took almost an hour to get to Hollywood with the traffic.

Edited by TheSaint at 12:59:32 12-02-2013

Edited by TheSaint at 12:59:50 12-02-2013
  • Dougs 12 Feb 2013 13:06:37 66,610 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ach, public transport is fine, got buses all over when I was there. Was quite entertaining. But yeah, not much to see really.
  • beastmaster 12 Feb 2013 13:14:17 11,147 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Better off around somewhere like Venice Beach.

When I stayed it was in Century City and there's not much to do around there. On the plus side, I could sit on my hotel balcony and look at the Nakatomi building :-)

Or rather the Fox building but hey, I like my version better.

In all honesty, I didn't think that much of LA at all.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• altitude2k 13 Feb 2013 18:08:22 3,729 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Universal Studios is really just a theme park, although they do have some sets you can look at such as the plane crash from War of the Worlds and Bates Motel.
    See, I'm one of the 4 people in the world who enjoyed that film, so I might have to give that a visit!

Will be having a car, so public transport is not such an issue, and I'm not too concerned about hotel location for two nights. Cheaper is a bit better because it's only a month before my actual holiday to New York.

Thanks for the advice.
  • altitude2k 19 Mar 2013 07:42:18 3,729 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just another question for those in the know. I need to book a hotel for the 2 days when I'm not working. The hotels around the airport look to get good reviews and are cheap because they're a little out the way.

Is staying around LAX really that inconvenient? Furthest I may travel on one of my days is to Universal and the observatory. I'll be driving.

Edited by altitude2k at 07:43:34 19-03-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next