Are you proud to be English? Page 12

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Next
  • FWB 11 Feb 2013 21:32:18 44,091 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Proud that this isn't generally a country that embraces such nationalistic gibberish.
  • RedSparrows 11 Feb 2013 23:30:22 22,238 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure Ironlungs is miffed at the fact of discussion: rather more what some might have said. I doubt he also wants to tell you to shut up. More that he has no time for it.
  • mal 11 Feb 2013 23:55:33 22,414 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    No dice with me, I'm Welsh by birth so you can carry on being an idiot creating antagonistic threads like this as long as you so chose.
    Let me translate the question into Welsh for you; Are you proud to be a citizen of a principality of England?

FWIW, if anyone knows when Wales stopped being a prinicipality (under one of the Acts of Union, as I recall) and started being a proper country, I'd appreciate the pointer.

Edit: Seems the act of union I was thinking of (formally the Laws of Wales Acts 1535-42) stopped Wales being a principality and instead united the two areas under Englands laws to become the land known as 'England and Wales'. I'm still not sure on what basis anyone asserts that Wales (or England for that matter) has become a distinct nation since then.

Edited by mal at 00:09:23 12-02-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ZuluHero 12 Feb 2013 00:36:13 4,096 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bleating hell, i could never catch one myself...
  • Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2013 00:49:06 7,154 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am proud to not be English
  • mal 12 Feb 2013 00:55:44 22,414 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    To me, Englishness always appeared to be synonymous with being posh and speaking like Hugh Grant. If you were English but didn't conform to this stereotype then you appeared less-English in my eyes.
    If that's what you consider an Englishman, then I'm glad not to be one in your book.

• Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2013 01:10:25 7,154 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    /swills sherry, adjusts monocle, collects 200 for passing GO
  • Deleted user 12 February 2013 01:20:22
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    No dice with me, I'm Welsh by birth so you can carry on being an idiot creating antagonistic threads like this as long as you so chose.
    Okay, explains it. Muchos gracias.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 12 Feb 2013 03:08:33 11,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm (generally speaking) against having pride in one's country. It can lead to nationalism, and all the problems that that brings... In fact, pride is generally no good. IMO.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• wayneh 12 Feb 2013 03:16:30 2,311 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't say I ever think about my nationality. If I was to think about the question properly I suppose there are some things to be proud of and others to be ashamed of. But if I ever win a substantial amount on the lottery one of the first things I'd look to do would be to move somewhere with a better climate.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• TVoJ 12 Feb 2013 03:34:27 1,852 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh the old sheep shagging jokes
    /yawn

If all you england dwellers are that original then I wouldn't be very proud at all.
  • B0rked_Gamer 12 Feb 2013 03:46:01 2,527 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Being Welsh is the BEST.
  • Popzeus 12 Feb 2013 08:07:17 8,289 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wish I was Scottish.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• PazJohnMitch 12 Feb 2013 08:07:36 7,965 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am not proud to be English but I am glad I am not American.
  • neilka 12 Feb 2013 08:10:10 15,830 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Like Pepsipop.
  • Scimarad 12 Feb 2013 08:16:57 8,536 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not ashamed to be English. I'll go that far.

Sometimes ashamed to be Human, however...
  • Chopsen 12 Feb 2013 08:18:18 15,834 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Let me translate the question into Welsh for you; Are you proud to be a citizen of a principality of England?

FWIW, if anyone knows when Wales stopped being a prinicipality (under one of the Acts of Union, as I recall) and started being a proper country, I'd appreciate the pointer.

Edit: Seems the act of union I was thinking of (formally the Laws of Wales Acts 1535-42) stopped Wales being a principality and instead united the two areas under Englands laws to become the land known as 'England and Wales'. I'm still not sure on what basis anyone asserts that Wales (or England for that matter) has become a distinct nation since then.
    Thing is you haven't distinguished between England/Wales as being a political, administrative and legal structure ("England and Wales") and the sense of cultural identity that those who live there or come from there might have("England" and "Wales"). The later sentiments often get lumped under Nationalism, but maybe it shouldn't because because they are not separate nations technically speaking. Though colloquially it gets used all the time (e.g. 6 Nations Rugby). It's semantics really.
  • muttler 12 Feb 2013 09:17:37 3,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not 'proud' to be English, our cities are dirty, grey, graffitied, crime ridden shit holes, our people as a whole are at best a mixed bag and the weather is almost uniformly miserable. Everytime I see 'resorts' for English holiday makers in foreign countries on the news, with 'revellers', I wince.

But I'm glad I'm English. If we were to become ill, we've got the NHS, if we were to be unemployed, we've got welfare. The standard of living is fairly high even for the unemployed. Our British Standards of food safety and all health and safety regs are really high. Most of the first world speaks our language. Lots of reasons to be glad your English / British.
  • mal 12 Feb 2013 12:33:39 22,414 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    mal wrote:

Thing is you haven't distinguished between England/Wales as being a political, administrative and legal structure ("England and Wales") and the sense of cultural identity that those who live there or come from there might have("England" and "Wales"). The later sentiments often get lumped under Nationalism, but maybe it shouldn't because because they are not separate nations technically speaking. Though colloquially it gets used all the time (e.g. 6 Nations Rugby). It's semantics really.
    Cheers. Oh, I get that this has a cultural identity aspect, and if people want to nail their cocks to the Welsh flag that's fine by me. I'm just interested from an international law point of view (and also for bragging rights over any interested parties down the pub).

It does seem I'm not the only one a little confused about this. Seems the matter was not completely settled as recently as the late '50s. The northern border was simple enough to establish, given half of them spoke a different lingo up there, and Offa's dyke at least shows you where Mercia ends, but down south it's complicated by the fact that for administrative purposes, what we'd currently call 'Wales' was for a long time referred to as 'Wales and Monmouthshire'.

Still, seems to me that legally speaking, Wales has more of a claim to nationhood for being 'not England' than for being a historical kingdom at any point in the past. Until the Laws in Wales Act, the Marches were administered by their Lord, albeit the Marcher Lords were appointed by the King of England.

Aha - I may have found something. Seems the most recent (and possibly only) time that all the territories of Wales have been ruled by one ruler was between 1055 and 1063 when Gryffydd ap Llwelyn made a bit of a land-grab and established himself as the king of all Wales. Nice job if you can get it, until 1063 at least when he got duffed up by one of his own subjects while hiding from the English. It then reverted to a series of kingdoms and lordships until the Laws in Wales act, which essentially took all the power away from the Welsh kings.

• jellyhead 12 Feb 2013 12:48:16 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cymru am byth!

I've never considered myself English. I've always been Welsh first and British second. English is England to me.

I'm proud to be Welsh British if that helps. We can do a hell of a lot better though.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 12 February 2013 12:59:56
    jellyhead wrote:
    Cymru am byth!

I've never considered myself English. I've always been Welsh first and British second. English is England to me.

I'm proud to be Welsh British if that helps. We can do a hell of a lot better though.
    I've never considered myself Welsh, I'm English.
  • jellyhead 12 Feb 2013 13:40:04 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good for you. Aren't we all awesome! Yay!

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Next