• Page

of 4 First / Last

• kalel 28 Jan 2013 14:40:10 86,409 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Some are, some aren't.

To be honest, I don't really see the problem with a game being long, but then I'm not an anal completist. If I'm bored of a game I'll stop playing it, and not worry that I never saw some shit cut scene at the end and an hour of credits.

Bothers me a lot more when a game ends after six or seven hours and I feel like it only just got going - I'm looking at you Halo 4 and various recent CoD games.
    But often some of the more interesting levels are later on, so if you give up as you can't be bothered to grind through the middle of the game then you can miss out on the best content. Being too short is as bad as being too long, but I can't remember the last time I thought a game ended too soon.

It can also spoil your memory of a game you otherwise enjoyed. I loved the first 10 hours of LA Noire but hated the second half. If the game had finished after 10 hours it would have been my city, but now I look back at it with bad memories. I kept playing it as I thought it was going to improve again
    Fair point, but this isn't an issue with length specifically though, it's an issue of maintaining quality. You can have the same issues with a very short game potentially.

All things being equal, i'd take a game that's too long than a game that's too short any day.
  • Dangerous_Dan 28 Jan 2013 14:40:19 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I used to be able to watch an average movie in one sitting. Now I can't do it anymore. Then it happened to those 50 minutes Tv series. Now that's impossible as well. I got down to sitcoms which were quite alright...for a time. Yet those 20 minutes are now a real chore. So I'm now at commercial length, which surprisingly I can maintain watching for hours, one at a time of course.
    So many movies out there and all I know about them are the first 5 minutes, 10 if I had a break while watching.

This is no laughing matter! How often do you think I visited another website for a few seconds during the writing of this forum post?!

By the way, hm, I forgot...

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 14:43:38 28-01-2013
  • stryker1121 28 Jan 2013 14:40:52 667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I definitely felt that way during Borderlands 2. I could not believe there was an extra zone or two toward the end loaded with quests. And of course I have to do all the sidequests for completionist purposes and for the possibility of shiny new gun.
  • TopDrawer 28 Jan 2013 14:42:48 17 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I find myself more and more likely to NOT even start a game because I know it'll be too much of a time sink. I'm looking at you Fallout: NV, Dragon Age, Torchlight 2, Dark Souls.

For me longer games do tend to struggle in terms of holding up a story and pacing with most modern releases I've played sagging in terms of quality at certain points. Then again, so do tv shows and plenty of films.

Its actually been a while since I've been genuinely excited and enthralled by a computer game, 25 years of the same cliche's may have taken their toll, I'm more about indie games where the length is massively reduced due to budgets but the ideas and narrative can often be stronger.

A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

• L_Franko Moderator 28 Jan 2013 14:45:35 9,694 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TopDrawer wrote:
    I find myself more and more likely to NOT even start a game because I know it'll be too much of a time sink. I'm looking at you Fallout: NV, Dragon Age, Torchlight 2, Dark Souls.
    If you don't start Dark Souls within the next few days I might just ban you.

Only joking, I'll give you until this time next week.
  • Bremenacht 28 Jan 2013 14:47:19 17,613 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    I don't know whether to answer that seriously or not. ;)
    :D

Another possibility is that you're getting older and whereas a long game would be 'getting the most out of it' to a younger self, it's now a case of being 'dragged out'. It's a bit like that for me. Call it experience, or call it age, I'm just more sensitive to games that go on and on for the sake of going on and on, rather than because they've got something to show you or tell you.

I finished Halo: Anniversary last night. It was mostly boring. As someone on your site wrote, I enjoyed the bits in vehicles and not a lot else. If I was sub-20 and hadn't played a lot of games, I'd have hoovered it up and thought it throughly worthy of an 8/10. Now, I see it as being some good spot-pieces with a lot of dragged-out corridor stuff inbetween, probably because the creators got bored of trying to create new stuff, figuring old stuff would do. See - cynicism has crept in too. :)
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 14:49:50
    I was just about to add that it could be also be down to my age and having less time to play games compared with my youth.
  • binky Moderator 28 Jan 2013 14:53:49 9,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @HairyArse Yes.

:)
  • Sarahshade 28 Jan 2013 14:56:46 139 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think your user name "HairyArse" brought me to this thread more than the title of the thread itself.. absolutely brilliant haha

But games are so long these days I just got my Xbox back and I want to finish all Mass Effect, final fantasy 13 and Dragon age games as soon as possible. but these games are soo long that I'l probably ruin my social life if I do so.

Skyrim is basicly a second life its so long, I was watching an interview with Felicia Day and she was saying she put nearly 100 hours into it.
    I love RPGs and open world games because you do get value for money due to the hours of entertainment it provides you with but sometimes it is too demanding.

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• TopDrawer 28 Jan 2013 15:05:36 17 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    TopDrawer wrote:

This one is now because my housemate has 'fixed' the game with a high resolution patch and all I get is a black screen. Whoo!

A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

• Dangerous_Dan 28 Jan 2013 15:06:27 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it would be better if they released less games. Don't make them shorter but make them fewer. That way I'd also save some money. If only I were in control of myself. Sigh, poor fella that I am.
  • BritishBlue1 28 Jan 2013 15:07:44 130 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @HairyArse In my younger days I would have said you were talking out of your hairy arse but after playing Far Cry 3, the second island seems more like a slog than anything. I'm enjoying Demon's Souls and Dark Souls at the moment but my progress is very slow and dying over and over at some of the boss fights can be horribly demoralising and because of this it makes me choose other games to play.
  • gelf 28 Jan 2013 15:09:17 188 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Usually I find them to be too long these days. As a teen a boast of a 50 hour campaign would have me salivating, now it puts me off. I cannot think of a single game that took 20 hours plus to complete that didn't really drag on in parts.

Especially with action games, short with lots of replay value is preferable.
  • quadfather 28 Jan 2013 15:14:00 11,864 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TopDrawer wrote:
    L_Franko wrote:
    TopDrawer wrote:

This one is now because my housemate has 'fixed' the game with a high resolution patch and all I get is a black screen. Whoo!
    You need to turn off the blur and the AA in the settings, and then it'll work.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 28 Jan 2013 15:14:45 11,864 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sarahshade wrote:
    Skyrim is basicly a second life its so long, I was watching an interview with Felicia Day and she was saying she put nearly 100 hours into it.
    Best not post how many hours I've put into Dark Souls then :)

• dancingrob 28 Jan 2013 15:26:26 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Most games are far too long.

For 'story' games, plenty of devs are capable of a good 8-10 hour game, but commercial pressures seem to mean they're incapable of releasing said decent 8-10 hour game without adding another 5-10 hours of padding purely so they can avoid a horde of fuckwitted teenagers on forums screaming that a '5 hour game is a rip-off' having seen what happens to games that do (I'm thinking Vanquish / Limbo etc. here)

Given the generally poverty of storytelling in games generally, this is not a good thing at all, as it means that as well as another 3 hours traversing grey corridors, you're also doing it having been backstabbed by an apparent ally / in order to find the McGuffin of Troooth without even a cursory attempt at justification from a story perspective.

My basic theory on this is that devs just haven't grown up with the industry. Back in the day, the main problem 'we' had was lack of money, a we would therefore play things to death, getting every last collectible etc. Now we're old, the main problem is lack of time, and we'd much rather just skip the dull bits to get to the (usually) decent ending.

Unfortunately, most devs are still writing for the first of these audiences, hence lots of padding / the continued existence of pointless collectibles / appalling characterisation (particularly of women) / poor storytelling etc.
  • FuzzyDuck 28 Jan 2013 15:32:00 3,913 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Two of my top games this gen are Dark Souls and Vanquish, so it depends on the type of game and mechanics really.

I think Vanquish is so succinct and perfectly paced that I've ended up replaying it loads more times every 6 months or so.
  • Sarahshade 28 Jan 2013 15:36:47 139 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather haha I heard that's a seriously demanding game too, its best that I avoid it then seeing as I got Skyrim recently again too.. goodbye lifeeee!

• quadfather 28 Jan 2013 15:52:11 11,864 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Sarahshade - I flick between the two of them, so I'm doubly knackered :)

• Sarahshade 28 Jan 2013 16:12:54 139 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think Ill be jumping from Borderlands 2 to FF13 to Skyrim alot for a while.

• Deleted user 28 January 2013 16:16:07
    Skyrim was hella long but because it's an open-world game, it's as short or as long as you want to make it so you have some control.
  • Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 16:20:24 6,625 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it depends how much pressure you put on yourself to finish a game as well. I never used to be that bothered about completing a game, but as I now buy more games with my own money it becomes a point of principle because 'I WILL GET THE VALUE OUT OF THIS YOU MOTHERFUCKER'.

On the flip side my mate will happily play 3 or 4 games simultaneously.
  • Sarahshade 28 Jan 2013 16:22:13 139 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @HairyArse yeah your right but I kind do most of the sidequests to level my self like a baddass before getting stuck into the main quest-line , maybe that's why I have no life when I start these games haha

• DUFFMAN5 28 Jan 2013 16:25:00 14,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    I think Vanquish is so succinct and perfectly paced that I've ended up replaying it loads more times every 6 months or so.
    I can't do this, save for a very limited and I mean 1 or 2 games. I try to reply something but once I have seen the end screen, I find it impossible to reply, even rpg's. If a game has several ending depending on play style I tend to watch the rest of the endings on youtube or something. I also can't repeat view films, even if I love them the first time around.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• stryker1121 28 Jan 2013 16:29:34 667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    TopDrawer wrote:

Dark Souls has been on my radar forever, but reading the very intricately detailed forums here it seems like such a massive timesink, what with the soul grinding. How much farming is there exactly, and how necessary is it to be successful? Just the idea of the grind puts me off DS despite all the plaudits.
  • Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 16:33:08 6,625 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    I can't do this, save for a very limited and I mean 1 or 2 games. I try to reply something but once I have seen the end screen, I find it impossible to reply, even rpg's. If a game has several ending depending on play style I tend to watch the rest of the endings on youtube or something. I also can't repeat view films, even if I love them the first time around.
    You barely play the same console every six months Duffman, never mind game
  • robthehermit 28 Jan 2013 16:33:10 3,983 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I can't do this, save for a very limited and I mean 1 or 2 games. I try to play something but once I have opened the parcel, I find it impossible to play, even rpg's. I tend to watch the game on youtube or something and then trade it in.
    Fixed that for you.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• DUFFMAN5 28 Jan 2013 16:35:00 14,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• quadfather 28 Jan 2013 16:36:19 11,864 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    stryker1121 wrote:
    L_Franko wrote:
    TopDrawer wrote:

Dark Souls has been on my radar forever, but reading the very intricately detailed forums here it seems like such a massive timesink, what with the soul grinding. How much farming is there exactly, and how necessary is it to be successful? Just the idea of the grind puts me off DS despite all the plaudits.
    You don't have to grind at all. There may be times where you think you might do better with a bit more of a particular stat, so you might stay in an area for a while getting that sorted, but it's by no means mandatory. It's only because there's loads of variations and cryptic stuff hidden around that people go to great lengths to uncover it all.

To be honest, most of the grind is done for PVP. Once you've played the pve and like PVP, there's sort of set levels where it's popular. So often, you'll level up to that point to get the most out of PVP.

It would be a great shame if you had it on your radar but never actually gave it a go - it's an extremely good game.

True, the DS thread is massive now, but that's only because buffoons like me and the rest of them are still hopelessly addicted :p

• Vortex808 28 Jan 2013 16:37:53 6,972 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I can't do this, save for a very limited and I mean 1 or 2 games. I try to play something but once I have opened the parcel, I find it impossible to play, even rpg's. I tend to watch the game on youtube or something and then trade it in.
    Fixed that for you.
    :D
  • Page

of 4 First / Last