• monkman76 23 Jan 2013 14:48:19 4,241 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @vizzini stop putting, fucking commas in all the, wrong places
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 23 Jan 2013 14:49:45 38,137 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Is there any literature out there that clearly and comprehensively explains the EU; it's history, economy, laws, treaties, etc? Think I'll spend the next few years reading up on this before the vote.
    I asked otto this very question today via Twitter and I got lots of helpful messages and info from various parties.

Most interestingly this blog post was inspired by the conversation we had:

http://euonym.eu/how-do-i-find-out-about-the-eu/

Very helpful it is too.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Jan 2013 14:51:13 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think otto's blocked me from twitter...I suppose he doesn't like my chelsea bashing tweets :)

A very good person to follow though, especially if your interested in the EU.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• X201 23 Jan 2013 14:52:32 15,392 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Is there any literature out there that clearly and comprehensively explains the EU; it's history, economy, laws, treaties, etc? Think I'll spend the next few years reading up on this before the vote.
    You could start with Euromyths, and cancel out the decades worth of bull spouted by the UK press.

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

UK press "stories" on Euromyths include...

"EU law bans church bells"
    "Bombay Mix to be renamed"
    "Condiments must be offered in sachets"

And the old classic...
    "EC to ban curved cucumbers"
  • DaM 23 Jan 2013 15:35:31 13,141 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think straight cucumbers make more sense, you can fit more in a box.
  • WoodenSpoon 23 Jan 2013 15:36:30 12,285 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This video gives a little bit of history and a decent outline of how the various institutions work.

Not sure there's really a quick way to take it all in though, it is a pretty complicated and (imo) dull topic.
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Jan 2013 15:47:32 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have a very large text book you can borrow :)

• DaM 23 Jan 2013 16:10:11 13,141 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Does it cover cucumbers?
  • jellyhead 23 Jan 2013 16:11:43 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it's big enough i suppose it would cover most items you put under it.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• DaM 23 Jan 2013 16:15:47 13,141 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    If it's big enough i suppose it would cover most items you put under it.
    Nigel Farage? David Milliband should find a new role as assassin and take him out.
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Jan 2013 16:16:54 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Does it cover cucumbers?
    It smells like cucumbers I suppose.

• Varkon 23 Jan 2013 16:26:46 22 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tell you what is undemocratic. That a party such as UKIP that has a grand total of 12 EU Parliament seats, 1 Northern Ireland assembly seat, and 39 local council seats out of 21,000 can hold the UK's future in such a tight grip.
  • LetsGo 23 Jan 2013 17:29:33 5,217 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quite funny seeing the EU politicians running scared, they know that without us Europe is in trouble in the same way that without us in the Euro it's nearly dead.
  • FWB 23 Jan 2013 17:32:49 44,564 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A referendum is a good idea. If the the country votes to pull out then it deserves everything that comes with it. I'll just go and get my German or Polish passport again.

Personally I'd stay in and sort out the mega bureaucratic shite in Brussels. I am a little concerned as to what is going to happen when the Bulgarian and Romanian restrictions drop in the next few years though.
  • ED209 23 Jan 2013 18:27:52 505 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    It is like the naturally tendency to walk in circles in the desert, by the dominant leg always pulling stronger.
    Fuck! You've made me shit scared of getting stuck in a desert. If I was to 'strafe' everywhere would i be more, or less likely to survive?

/has no cause to be in desert.

Edited by ED209 at 18:28:43 23-01-2013

Samantha Janus?

• Deleted user 23 January 2013 18:29:48
    That is a fact vizzini took from the movie Flight of the Phoenix.
  • Dirtbox 23 Jan 2013 18:34:02 78,152 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Edited by Dirtbox at 18:34:26 23-01-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Dirtbox 23 Jan 2013 18:34:03 78,152 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also The Muppets Take Manhattan.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• thelzdking 23 Jan 2013 18:46:24 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm sure that it's been said before in this thread but this is Cameron trying to appease his idiot backbenchers and see off UKIP. Despite being tentatively pro-EU I've long supported such a referendum if only to stop the interminable whining about straight bananas and such. If the British public vote to leave the EU then they should get everything that comes with it, good or bad.
  • thelzdking 23 Jan 2013 18:46:33 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • dsmx 23 Jan 2013 20:54:30 7,602 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As an idea I like the EU, as it stands today with anyone disagreeing with the proposals Germans and the French put out being labelled anti European I really can't stand it any more.

I would like to stay in the EU but it's a quagmire of bureaucracy which I can't see ever being fixed. I also don't like the fact that it's budget still hasn't had it's books signed off and it having people in positions of power making decisions that effect us being entirely unelected and the people having no way of stopping it.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Jan 2013 21:36:14 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Quite funny seeing the EU politicians running scared, they know that without us Europe is in trouble in the same way that without us in the Euro it's nearly dead.
    Riiiiiiight.

• Bremenacht 23 Jan 2013 22:08:54 18,222 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    As an idea I like the EU, as it stands today with anyone disagreeing with the proposals Germans and the French put out being labelled anti European I really can't stand it any more.

I would like to stay in the EU but it's a quagmire of bureaucracy which I can't see ever being fixed. I also don't like the fact that it's budget still hasn't had it's books signed off and it having people in positions of power making decisions that effect us being entirely unelected and the people having no way of stopping it.
    The UK is a quagmire of bureaucracy and it's getting worse as successive governments duplicate civil service functions with consultants-who-say-yes. I don't think the EU is any worse than any other large government organisation.

Have you read just how shit our own government is?
  • Bremenacht 23 Jan 2013 22:10:21 18,222 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    Riiiiiiight.
    It's true! Those laughs are laughs of terror. How can they possibly survive without our leadership and dynamism?
  • Bremenacht 23 Jan 2013 22:12:30 18,222 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    If the British public vote to leave the EU then they should get everything that comes with it, good or bad.
    This is true. If most people are blinkered enough to vote 'out', then 'in' types will just have to accept it, pack their bags, and set up next door to morriss.
  • Bremenacht 23 Jan 2013 22:14:50 18,222 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ED209 wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    It is like the naturally tendency to walk in circles in the desert, by the dominant leg always pulling stronger.
    Fuck! You've made me shit scared of getting stuck in a desert. If I was to 'strafe' everywhere would i be more, or less likely to survive?

/has no cause to be in desert.
    Did you know that the designers of half-life 2 coded a 'dominant leg' for the player and created the semi-circular path the player would take accordingly. It's true! Very clever people, Valve.
  • Cripper 23 Jan 2013 22:22:04 29 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Cripper 23 Jan 2013 22:23:12 29 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It won't matter if we have a refendum and vote to leave they will just 're-negotiate' and have another referendum until we vote to stay in. Just look at referendums in ireland, denmark, france ..... It also does not matter what they write in the different treaties as they are all enforced by the European Court of Justice.

The European Court interprets all the treaties so that they lead to ever closer union. What we have at the moment is government by judges who interpret the various treaties to lead to different results from what the legislators intended.

If you want to see what a united states of europe would be like just look at agriculture/fisheries which are the areas that have been under European Union control since we entered the common market. The current agricultural subsidy system pays huge amounts of money to people like Prince Charles and the Duke of Westminister for doing nothing. They even subsidize the gamekeepers for their grouse/pheasant shooting Even if they rent out farms the farmer has to pay the subsidy to the rich landowner because the subsidies are directly related to land area and are therefore simply increase the amount of rent they have to pay. When the UK joined the common market we had a thriving fishing fleet it has now been completely decimated due mainly to over fishing by other EU countries who gained access to our territorial waters when we joined the common market.

To top it all off 25% of the money allocated to agricultural subsidies in the EU budget is allocated to pay for the civil servants who administer the system.
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Jan 2013 22:44:38 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sums up my feelings

Too much rage again.

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Jan 2013 22:46:07 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cripper wrote:

To top it all off 25% of the money allocated to agricultural subsidies in the EU budget is allocated to pay for the civil servants who administer the system.
    You want to give a source link to this?

• Page

of 9 First / Last