Sim City Page 3

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• Rusty_M 26 Jan 2013 22:36:34 4,864 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At least you are able to wait for a game! I can't even get that far.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• TarickStonefire 31 Jan 2013 12:59:23 3,305 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Everyone seen the story about how a chap who posted in the Beta forum to point out how the DRM punishes legal users got banned from the website?

His post was entirely reasonable, he didn't get angry, he didn't go all Internet Hard Man. He just pointed out how the DRM screws over everyone playing the game legally based on his experiences thus far with the beta, and makes some suggestions to EA about how they might want to over-prepare for launch given how Diablo 3 went.

I mean sure, it's the beta so it's not perfect yet, but it's hardly an uncommon feeling and this is the company whose badly worded legal bullshit threatened to ban any player who didn't highlight problems in the beta.

Anyway, the result: banned by EA.

Fuck EA in the fucking face.

EDIT: While Googling for the link I discovered that EA have lifted it, with some weasley-worded mealy-mouthed bollocks about how it was all a misunderstanding. Same as how a lawyer let that clause go out about banning bug-non-reporters when what they meant was banning bug-abusers.

I thought legal people got paid a lot because they understand this stuff?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:03:21 31-01-2013

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:04:10 31-01-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• teamHAM 31 Jan 2013 13:00:38 3,116 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:

Result: banned.
    Unfortunately, on official game/dev forums, this happens all the time.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• TarickStonefire 31 Jan 2013 13:01:08 3,305 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:

Result: banned.
    Unfortunately, on official game/dev forums, this happens all the time.
    I know, it's fucking pathetic.

• Duffking 31 Jan 2013 13:03:17 7,483 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Everyone seen the story about how a chap who posted in the Beta forum to point out how the DRM punishes legal users got banned from the website?

His post was entirely reasonable, he didn't get angry, he didn't go all Internet Hard Man. He just pointed out how the DRM screws over everyone playing the game legally based on his experiences thus far with the beta, and makes some suggestions to EA about how they might want to over-prepare for launch given how Diablo 3 went.

I mean sure, it's the beta so it's not perfect yet, but it's hardly an uncommon feeling and this is the company whose badly worded legal bullshit threatened to ban any player who didn't highlight problems in the beta.

Anyway, the result: banned by EA.

Fuck EA in the fucking face.
    You mean this guy?

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/17e1ap/result_of_my_previous_ea_ahq_ban_post/
  • TarickStonefire 31 Jan 2013 13:04:42 3,305 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DUFFKING Yeah just found the follow up elsewhere while googling for the link I read this morning. EA are such twats.

• teamHAM 1 Feb 2013 20:05:46 3,116 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So did anyone get into the beta and actually get to play the game? If so what was it like? So far this one is definitely looking like a bullet to dodge but I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong.

• ronuds 7 Feb 2013 15:48:08 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New hands-on preview:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/07/hands-on-simcity/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29

Edited by ronuds at 15:48:43 07-02-2013
  • jellyhead 7 Feb 2013 16:22:29 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seems positive. I still won't be touching it though. Yuchy.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• THFourteen 7 Feb 2013 16:33:30 34,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks amazing so far to me. A mix between Sim City, the Sims and a bit of Transport Tycoon is what it reminds me of.

Don't really care about DRM or always online, and i won't let any of those things stop me from playing what looks like an ace new game.

Sure it will have bugs and server outages etc etc but thats unfortunately part and parcel of PC gaming now.
  • Carlo 9 Feb 2013 15:53:27 18,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've pre-ordered it... Crappy DRM/Always online etc. maybe, but it just looks too fantastic (and it's on offer on CDWOW for 33~)

PSN ID: Djini

• teamHAM 9 Feb 2013 16:15:48 3,116 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah. I must admit I've seen enough to let me at least try it. Although went to pre-order the Digital Deluxe version from Origin (which only has a few extras in game) and was stunned to see it was 65!!!!

Normal version for me I think.

I am particularly looking forward to the business you can do with your neighbours though. And having the police/fire/ambulance/dumper trucks etc able to respond in your neighbouring cities and vice versa is a really good idea too.

If a few from EG are going to play maybe we can play in the same region or something for some trading goodness.

• Khanivor 9 Feb 2013 16:21:33 41,106 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll be getting this for sure. Was playing Cities XL last night, which, while it scratched the itch a little bit, feels very soulless. I don't mind DRM and always online as my net connection is fucking rock solid; I've only lost it when the power is off, which makes it a moot issue.

The idea of being able to trade and fuck with fellow EGers is very alluring :)
  • Sharzam 9 Feb 2013 23:12:48 3,175 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At one point Origin was offering pre order the Digital Deluxe for 65 and you get 25 back in Origin credit. So if you actually buy games on Origin then the deluxe is only 40 which admittedly isn't amazing price but was worth considering.

I personally skipped because i figured that 40 for a new PC game, was average to higher price. So if dont really use Origin then iam not really better off.

Edited by Sharzam at 23:13:45 09-02-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• FWB 9 Feb 2013 23:26:35 45,169 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Transport Tycoon was great. Even played it multiplayer a few times. Oil to power station deliveries FTW.
  • the_dudefather 10 Feb 2013 00:32:49 9,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OpenTTD is a great open source version of Transport Tycoon

Someone set up a server at work a few years ago to play during lunch (game time wouldn't progress if no-one was online), it got really cut-throat and it was cool seeing all the labyrinthine transport networks form over the map

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• teamHAM 10 Feb 2013 02:42:46 3,116 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    At one point Origin was offering pre order the Digital Deluxe for 65 and you get 25 back in Origin credit. So if you actually buy games on Origin then the deluxe is only 40 which admittedly isn't amazing price but was worth considering.

I personally skipped because i figured that 40 for a new PC game, was average to higher price. So if dont really use Origin then iam not really better off.
    Yeah when I looked they were offering 40 off other Origin purchases if you pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe at 65.

But if you read the small-print it says they will actually give you 10 off for each of FOUR new purchases (to make up the 40) on Origin as long as they were each worth at least 25. Oh and you had to make all these purchases before the end of March.

So that's 125 for SimCity Digital Deluxe and 4 other random games before the end of March. Erm yeah. To 99.9% of people that is not even close to being a good deal. Cheeky fuckers.

• Cosquae 10 Feb 2013 10:16:44 1,237 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Loved OpenTTD, a proper sim (though I prefer the iron+coal to steel routes earlier on).

Also good is/was Simutrans (sp?). A similar concept but more based around moving people.

Can't believe SimCity V won't have trains or subways :(
  • THFourteen 10 Feb 2013 10:22:02 34,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Limited edition is 35 on amazon. Comes with some superhero extras.
  • teamHAM 10 Feb 2013 11:57:41 3,116 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I might get that version then

• teamHAM 10 Feb 2013 11:58:36 3,116 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cosquae wrote:
    It does have trains. Commuter trains and Freight trains.

No subways but it does have streetcars (trams).

• crashVoodoo 10 Feb 2013 12:25:34 3,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can't believe I last upgraded my PC around when 4 came out and now the parts of it I have left would be left crying trying to run this.

So want to play this but I can't justify building a PC specifically for it.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• riz23 10 Feb 2013 12:56:41 1,426 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Such a shame I won't be buying this. It seems so pretty and I have loved Sim City games every one, but I can't support always on internet connection and a high retail price too.

Sim city is a game that can be played years after first purchase and still enjoyed. I have done that with the original, with SC2K and with 4, but when the servers go down for this, and they will, this iteration will be lost to history. Unacceptable.
  • FWB 10 Feb 2013 13:05:16 45,169 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cosquae wrote:
    Loved OpenTTD, a proper sim (though I prefer the iron+coal to steel routes earlier on).

Also good is/was Simutrans (sp?). A similar concept but more based around moving people.

Of course it will. They'll charge you another 20 quid for it as an add on.
  • TarickStonefire 10 Feb 2013 13:38:36 3,305 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm kind of new to this whole 'always on' thing. Probably because I'm a Mac and XBOX gamer. So, in other words, just an XBOX gamer... ;)

I jest, I do use Steam for a couple of things, but it seems like you *have* to have Steam installed and running to play those games. That's annoying, and seems like exactly the same thing as this?

Educate me if I'm totally off the mark! I'm just trying to decide if I'm bothered enough to not get it, as I can't remember the last time we lost connection so it would be entirely dwn to EA to keep the servers up.

EDIT: I notice the Mac version will be digital only, putting us the mercy of the fucking *outrageous* EA-set price for the download. More expensive to download from them than to buy a disc from Amazon. Fucking pricks.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:42:01 10-02-2013

• jellyhead 10 Feb 2013 13:58:17 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TarickStonefire Steam has an offline mode. You have to be online to download, register or backup/restore a Steam game but once done you can put Steam into offline mode and play without a network connection.

Always-Online is like an MMO. You are ALWAYS connected to the server and chatting to it. Hell, Sim City 2013 won't work without servers at all. You can put Sims City into Private mode but that only locks out others from changing your city. You are still reliant on EA servers and network connection to play and your city is still connected and talking to the other player's cities so it can pretend there's an economy.

For a single player game i don't like it. It's an additional thing to go wrong and stop me playing my games and i can't play on the train or anywhere with no internet. Meh.

If you have a great ISP then it's not an issue. Our's is flakey and we don't have the money to move house and find new jobs to move somewhere with a better ISP :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Cosquae 10 Feb 2013 14:02:42 1,237 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TarickStonefire There's a difference between this and Steam.

Steam you can run 100% offline if you so wish (though obviously no updates, multiplayer, downloading, cloud saves etc).

Steam usually runs with a check online before starting a game but then runs the game offline. Your game experience will not end if your internet dies (short of multiplayer)

SimCity (and Diablo 3 for that matter) you -have- to have the internet on not only to start it up, but whilst playing too. If you internet drops, do does your game. Likewise if their servers die (or get overloaded like they did on the beta, or are likely to on release day) then you don't get to play your game, regardless of your internet connection.
  • teamHAM 10 Feb 2013 15:01:29 3,116 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it is a big shame yada yada, but unfortunately due to the multi-million pound industry that is game pirating this is the next step. People have made a huge noise about it everywhere but it isn't the first game to have it and it certainly won't be the last.

I am not particularly thrilled either with it being online only, but it is what it is. Without doubt despite some obvious gripes it's still shaping up to be the best city builder out there. I booted up SC4 the other day for the nostalgia but it looks pretty old and dated now (which of course it is). Also the new one presents it's data with layers and infographics rather than endless charts and graphs which is pleasant.

And 35 for the LE is a decent price. Most AAA PC titles launch at about that price.

Subways etc will be sorted either with an expansion or via the modding community. They did a great job of helping to extend the lifespan of SC4 and no doubt they will do the same with this SimCity.

• dsmx 10 Feb 2013 17:56:40 7,688 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of openttd I can run a dedicated server for an online game which I've been fiddling about with construction costs to make the game harder. So if enough people want me to I'll set a game up running it if you want.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Page

of 66 First / Last