MPs suggest a 32% wage increase...for MPs

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Shikasama 11 Jan 2013 08:38:25 6,272 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MPs have suggested a 32% increases in their pay to the Commons expenses watchdog, it has been revealed.

Members said they deserved an £86,250 salary in an anonymous survey conducted by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa).

The research also found more than a third thought they should keep final-salary pensions.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20978487

I understand that MPs have to be paid a salary to enable people from all walks of life (HAHAHAHAHA) to sit in Parliament, not just those who have a secondary income, but this is ridiculous.

How they manage on just 65 grand a year is beyond me, those poor, poor tossers.

Edit
    Can someone change the thread title so it says MPs and not MPS? Cheers

Edited by Shikasama at 08:39:17 11-01-2013
  • LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 08:43:40 41,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When was their last increase?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RunningMan 11 Jan 2013 08:45:12 2,355 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd be happier to pay them more if they dropped the long list of second jobs a lot of them seem to have. That and the expenses.
  • Chopsen 11 Jan 2013 08:49:42 15,129 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The amount of shit you put up with as an MP: I wouldn't want to do it. If you're not making the job attractive, you're going to only attract idealist and extremists with an axe to grind.
  • Dougs 11 Jan 2013 08:49:55 64,887 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    When was their last increase?
    Pretty sure they've had an annual increase way in excess of those the public sector workers have been getting. Or not, as the case may be.
  • Megapocalypse 11 Jan 2013 08:50:08 5,228 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As I mentioned in the general politics thread; Andrew Bridgen MP for North West Leicestershire stated that if he continues to only earn £66k his children will go without next Christmas. Meanwhile the rest of the public sector is on a two year pay increase freeze.

What planet are these cunts on?
  • Chopsen 11 Jan 2013 08:53:18 15,129 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wasn't there some move afoot to make decisions about MP pay independent of MPs, or did I make that up?
  • LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 08:54:38 41,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Give the decision to the Lords.

Are the Lords on a salary?

• Shikasama 11 Jan 2013 08:54:55 6,272 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Wasn't there some move afoot to make decisions about MP pay independent of MPs, or did I make that up?
    Yeah they don't get to vote on their wages anymore, those IPSA guys decide. The figure sin the article are a result of a polling of MPs by IPSA.

A fifth of MPs said they should be on 95k or more.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 08:57:25 41,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe MPs shouldn't get paid, but have everything provided for them.

• vyseofhr 11 Jan 2013 08:58:49 802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    + Expenses, + Ministerial top-ups, + the fact that most of them are Barristers, Solicitors, etc by profession.

Every other fucker suffers cut after cut, and these bastards have the gumption to want a 25% rise, and that's only an average! Fuck off.

*edited to add more swearing for effect*

Edited by vyseofhr at 08:59:26 11-01-2013

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• X201 11 Jan 2013 09:00:03 14,692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is a twisting of the story, they have not asked for a pay rise.

A questionnaire asked them a question about the amount of work an MP does and what they thought the appropriate pay for that amount of work was.

The results have been twisted. It wasn't a direct request for a pay rise. It was a statement that they thought they were underpaid, which are different things.
  • vyseofhr 11 Jan 2013 09:01:23 802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Perhaps the same survey should be carried out among citizens, so they can see what WE think they're worth.

Now THAT result would be interesting.

• Deleted user 11 January 2013 09:01:59
    They can't wait a few years for that cushy job on the board of directors they helped?

And I laughed at Rupert murdochs idea of paying them all millions each year. His argument about the expenses scandal was they weren't being paid enough. Ye, so naturally they had to steal.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 09:03:47 41,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Citizens would respond based on the assumption that How Hard You Work = How Much Pay You Deserve.

Which is bollocks.

• Shikasama 11 Jan 2013 09:05:42 6,272 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    This is a twisting of the story, they have not asked for a pay rise.

A questionnaire asked them a question about the amount of work an MP does and what they thought the appropriate pay for that amount of work was.

The results have been twisted. It wasn't a direct request for a pay rise. It was a statement that they thought they were underpaid, which are different things.
    I don't see where the twisting is, that is exactly what the story and the OP states.
  • Jeepers 11 Jan 2013 09:06:20 13,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As I understand it the informal deal was that MPs recognise that salary increases were unpalatable to the public so second-home allowances and expenses were inflated annually to provide a less visible yearly increment.

Now that expenses are such a clusterfuck we are going to have to think about how we remunerate our politicians. 65k pa isn't *such* a huge salary and if - as lb says - you don't want a Commons populated by fanatics, idealists and the independently wealthy you're going to have to offer a decent salary.

You get whats you pays for.
  • Dougs 11 Jan 2013 09:06:54 64,887 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Are the Lords on a salary?
    They get a per diem for every day they turn up I think.
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 09:08:03
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Citizens would respond based on the assumption that How Hard You Work = How Much Pay You Deserve.

Which is bollocks.
    True that's not completely right, but that seems a lot better than nursing home staff taking home minimum wage and a lawyer charging several hundred pounds an hour.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Jan 2013 09:10:46 36,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I will support a 32% pay rise for MPs the moment I get a 32% pay rise. We're all in this together :p

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• vyseofhr 11 Jan 2013 09:11:45 802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Which is bollocks.
    I didn't say it wouldn't be flawed, every medium where the general public has a say is, I said it would be interesting.

• Dougs 11 Jan 2013 09:13:24 64,887 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And just think of all those with low self-worth. They'll be asking for pittance!
  • glaeken 11 Jan 2013 09:20:44 10,975 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not really surprising they would get such a result from their survey. People whose ambition is to have power often think they are worth more. The whole drive to have power over others kind of implies a self-belief that there is something special about you. You see people in positions of power all the time deciding they are worth bigger rewards than those they hold power over. Itís just part of the psychology of the desire for power.
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2013 09:24:49 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I always thought that MPs thought of being an MP as an unpaid internship, biding their time for a few years until they inevitably end up on the board of a oil company.

Basically, a means to a very well paid end.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dougs 11 Jan 2013 09:28:08 64,887 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not an easy job for the most part, not if you're an active member anyway. If you sit on Bill Committees, Select Committees etc, they are long days, given most debates and votes are in the afternoon/evening. But still, hard to feel sorry for them given most do go on and reap the benefits...
  • Moot_Point 11 Jan 2013 09:28:08 3,500 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    MPs have suggested a 32% increases in their pay to the Commons expenses watchdog, it has been revealed.

Members said they deserved an £86,250 salary in an anonymous survey conducted by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa).

The research also found more than a third thought they should keep final-salary pensions.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20978487

I understand that MPs have to be paid a salary to enable people from all walks of life (HAHAHAHAHA) to sit in Parliament, not just those who have a secondary income, but this is ridiculous.

How they manage on just 65 grand a year is beyond me, those poor, poor tossers.

Edit
    Can someone change the thread title so it says MPs and not MPS? Cheers
    Hahaha! Hypocrisy at its finest. I expected nothing less from the CONservatives!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 09:31:20 41,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fair amount of Labour MPs in that survey Billy.

• kalel 11 Jan 2013 09:31:39 83,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I dunno. It's a difficult job with stupid hours and a huge amount of responsibility. Seems fair enough to me.
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2013 09:36:20 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have no problem with MPs being paid an amount relative to the importance of the job. I do have a problem with the fact that most of them are arseholes.

Its a really irreconcilable problem. They do an important job and should be well paid, but hardly any of the people in the position deserve it.

Kind of like coppers. They deserve to be better paid, but then theres the fact that they are all cunts.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:37:00 11-01-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 09:37:38 41,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's more a problem with the fact that the skillset necessary to get elected is completely different to the skillset necessary to be a good MP.

Douglas Adams had it nailed on.

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous