Fallout 4 Page 280

• Page

of 281 First / Last

• ubergine 9 Feb 2017 21:16:12 7,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Skyrim also patching at the same time. Quite interested to hear what it does for 1080p screens, there's still no major compelling reason to get a Pro for me.
  • ChiefGB 9 Feb 2017 22:31:25 6,744 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Skyrim is purely updating the mod stuff, which is half of the fallout one too.

Having tested it's definitely sharper and runs, O K I guess. Seems to either be an issue with lower res textures though or the general res increase is showing them up more. Mid distance looks lovely though.
  • THFourteen 11 Feb 2017 20:43:47 44,603 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got this for Christmas (PC) so just installing now.

Any must have mods or graphics upgrades? I only have a 4790k and 980Ti so don't think i can play this new super texture pack or whatever :-\
  • robthehermit 7 Mar 2017 11:32:43 6,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Started this again recently, and I have to say that I'm enjoying it a lot more second time around. It looks better than I remember as well, colours and whatnot seem more vibrant than they did although that's probably a combination of my bad memory and my imagination.
  • hedben2013 7 Mar 2017 12:07:05 401 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh, are you sure you didn't install any mods just before you left it last time?

I'm waiting for a digital copy at the right price so I can finally finish my playthrough. I loved it and got about 2/3 through the main questline, but had to give my borrowed disc back, and then Witcher 3 got in the way.
  • DukeSilver 7 Mar 2017 12:09:54 2,158 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think once you accept its many limitations it becomes better. On the first playthrough I was paranoid that someone would reveal the big plot twist on a random forum so was rushing through that, plus it fits with the overall story to get on with things.

Once I knew what was going to happen and knew more about how the game world worked it became a lot more enjoyable.
  • ubergine 7 Mar 2017 16:32:08 7,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found it more enjoyable coming back to it, cured of the plot's urgency.
  • Vortex808 7 Mar 2017 16:50:37 11,462 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still need to crack on with this having stopped about half-way through, maybe these posts will finally push me on a little bit!
  • Flying_Pig 8 Mar 2017 11:11:42 15,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I stopped towards the end of the main story arc (basically at the point you need to decide on which faction you go with), but following the PS4 Pro patch and all of that lovely DLC waiting for me, I just need to find the time to get stuck back in...
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Mar 2017 11:54:00 6,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just "finished" last night. Well, main game, Fall Harbour and Mechanist stuff, just Nuka World as a last hurrah...

Took me long enough to get a PS4, and despite watching a playthrough on YT, I still hankered after this because of the world, because of the settlement building. Derided by most, I've had great fun building up themed outposts, with a strong BoS/MM alliance for the main hubs. Still got the fun elements, like my Longjohn/Bowler outfitted Clockwork Orange Droog farm up north (canes and knives all round), the Coast Guard styled Taffington Boathouse, and the mellow yellow mutfruit farmers of Nordhagen.

Settled on the somewhat peaceful setting (retaining the BoS/MM/RR in situ) and I'm left with a playground I can dip into whenever, a world that's had my touch to it, and something I'd quite happily see in the next Elder Scrolls. (Equipping them with crazy firepower nullified the need for helping the defence quests.)

Save is currently at 7d6h, and finally, I can make a start on Yakuza....
  • markytonline83 8 Mar 2017 12:27:11 788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm basically the 'settlement building' trophy away from getting the platinum, but because it's so poorly implemented I'll never bother to try and get 100% happiness needed to get the trophy. Other than that, it truly is one of the greatest games of this gen. It has it's faults but few games deliver up such a vast and open world for you to 'play' around in.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Mar 2017 12:36:22 15,410 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Personally I don't think I'll ever go back to this.
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Mar 2017 12:43:47 4,598 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Me either. I didn't bother with any of the DLC and finishing the main quest line became a chore.

I was away for a week or so in the middle of playing this and it took quite some doing to muster the enthusiasm to get back and complete it.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 22:26:23 14-03-2017
  • Mola_Ram 8 Mar 2017 12:59:47 15,410 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wish Obsidian would do another Fallout :(
  • Vortex808 14 Mar 2017 22:21:31 11,462 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck. Started it up again tonight. It's awfully clunky. An hour has sort of got me used to the controls and crap chat animations again.

Went to the glowing sea and will push it on a bit, but the season pass is a total waste and i don't see me trying much of that.

Shame.

Fo3 will live long in my memory, but this won't.

Edited by Vortex808 at 22:21:52 14-03-2017
  • crashVoodoo 17 May 2017 13:01:36 5,282 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Been watching someone play the survival mode of this on pc and I want to have a go.  Gonna grab it on pc since I can probably run it a decent clip now.

Wheres the best/cheapest place to get a steam keys? Steams price is 39.99 but I'm not paying that.
  • SYS64738 18 May 2017 10:01:55 3,953 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Started a new game after completing the main story and a few side quests previously, during which I began on Survival mode but ended up toning it down to Very Hard, then Hard (bullet sponging on Very Hard is a bit too silly).

So this time, I thought, I'm going to play Survival mode properly, given I've seen much of the game already. Am around level 10 and everything is one-shot-killing me. Granted, i don't wear a lot of armour but still.

The other issue is the way save games are handled. You could just wander back from a mission in the sticks, and by chance get done in by a bloatfly, losing possibly hours of progress.

Also, even the thought of attempting sprawling places like Corvega, with plenty of opponents around with the above ability to end you in one hit, makes me dreading it rather than looking forward to a challenge.

I'm already considering to drop the difficulty back to Hard and just explore the gameplay and map in terms of stuff and places I didn't discover previously.

Has anyone here completed the game on Survival? Can't even fathom how hard it must be to take on a gang of super mutants (which can appear randomly) out in the open without cover, or some of the later encounters towards the end of the game.
  • Billy-Daniels 18 May 2017 13:10:03 11 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Been lurking for around a decade but your questions regarding Fallout 4's survival mode have finally forced me to create an account.

I don't think anyone here will have played enough on survival to be able to answer your questions, to be honest I don't know anyone other than myself who has tried to complete it on survival.

First of all, it's not as painful as you might imagine if you have patience and organise yourself intelligently. By patience I mean not charging south-east towards the city centre as soon as you start!

If you choose your perks wisely you can become quite powerful by around level 30 making survival mode a walk in the park. Up until that point you have to play clever to make progress.

I have 2 survival characters with quite similar builds. The first (Maurice the Merciless) uses sniper rifles and handguns and the second (Russell Crowe) uses sniper rifles and melee weapons. Maurice is over level 100 now and has completed all of the story and dlc all in survival and it's been a cake walk since around level 40. Things can still go wrong but I have to be playing really badly for Maurice to get murdered.

Russell is around level 82 and is just about to finish Far Harbor, he's way past the early struggle and is cruising around like a stabby cloud of death.

I'll try to outline some of the perks and strategies that I use to make life on survival much easier-

Start with perception at 7, Endurance at 4, Agility at 6 and Luck at 5. This will allow you to select the Sniper (once you have the perception bobblehead), Moving Target (+Ninja with the agility bobblehead) and Idiot Savant perks as soon as possible. Idiot Savant lets you level up much quicker giving you more perk points to spend early on.

The Sniper perks are the most important because they allow you to knock down your target. One swipe from a Deathclaw will kill you but if it can't stand up it can't swipe and you can unload clip after clip into it until it's dead. This works against Mirelurk Queens, Super Mutant Behemoths and all manner of powerful enemies.

Buy the Overseer's Guardian (combat rifle that does double damage) from the vendor in Vault 81 (short trek west of Diamond City) and modify it so it fires .308 rounds and stick a silencer on it. You'll need all the Gun Nut perks to do this.

Get the Scrapper perks so you can can convert unwanted weaponry and armour into useful components for modifications.

Life Giver is a must (the third perk lets you slowly heal over time without eating food or jacking up on stimpaks) and Aquaboy allows you to swim without completely irradiating yourself.

To complement your sniper perks and make you even more powerful grab all the Rifleman perks. Double damage with a sniper that does double damage is heavenly and makes life much easier.

Lone Wanderer is very handy for me but won't be any use if you travel with companions. It allows me to carry more crap, increases my damage by 25% and gives me more action points to use in VATS.

Get the first 3 Sneak perks. Landmines and booby traps can lose you hours of progress and these perks completely solve that problem as you'll no longer trigger mines and tripwires.

I mentioned Moving Target earlier. Not only does it keep you alive when running away from danger like a little girl, the third perk allows you to sprint twice as long which is very useful considering you can't fast travel anywhere.

Ninja increases the damage from sneak attacks with your sniper. With the Overseer's Guardian and all the perks mentioned above you can one shot Mirelurk Queens and Deathclaws.

Those are the key perks but others are useful as well such as Penetrator and Grim Reapers Sprint but they're not essential.

If you find a piece of Legendary armour with Chameleon on it, wear it! The invisibilty when crouched can save you from certain death.

If you do some missions for the Railroad you'll unlock ballistic weave that you can put on army fatigues and a particular hat (battered fedora I think). With this things won't kill you in one hit, in fact the top level of ballistic weave seems a bit too powerful on Survival but I'm certainly not complaining! (you'll need all 4 Armorer perks to create the best ballistic weave clothing)

There's more but I've just looked at the wall of text and I'm hungry so I'll shut up now.
  • SYS64738 18 May 2017 13:36:00 3,953 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Rise from your grave" :)

Thanks for the write up Billy-Daniels, much appreciated.

What I gather from some of your tips (which are in line with others on the web I've come across) is that you need to shape your character in a certain, rather specific way to be able to cope in Survival.

While that makes perfect sense, it's also quite prohibitive in terms of the freedoms in gameplay styles you can apply (this is a role playing game with many options after all) - e.g. I'd imagine attempting it 90-100% melee is pretty much a no-go (always something I seriously considered for a new playthrough).

I think my biggest problem is progress pace - it'll be slow for reasons already mentioned, and my free time when it comes to playing games I already completed before is quite limited. I know mods are an option to address my gripes but that somehow feels like cheating to me (I also know there are bigger problems in life than that!).

Maybe the best way is to keep a separate save for Survival pottering about - did my fair share of restarts for various reasons, so am well and truly bored of the starting area on the map - and start a new game for primarily exploring those areas I didn't check out before, such as the north eastern and southern regions relative to DC.

The main issue with going with lower difficulties is that much of the crafting in terms of base building, gear and particularly chems isn't really required, which is a shame.
  • Billy-Daniels 18 May 2017 15:12:47 11 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    You're right that you need to build your character in a certain way to thrive on survival. If you pick the wrong perks it'll be almost impossible to get anywhere.

I'm lucky that sniping is generally my favourite way to play so I naturally build a character that can excel in survival.

I created Russell to see how effective melee weapons were in survival, I'd never had a melee character so wanted to see how combat changes when you're trying to stab a Sentry Bot to death.

My plan was to start down the sniper route whilst occasionally dropping points into melee. I knew progress would be too slow and painful if I went with melee exclusively and the ability to knock over enemies with a sniper is probably the most useful perk with regards to surviving surprise encounters with the creatures you meet on your travels.

Once I had all the Big League perks, all the Blitz perks, Ninja perks and the first two rooted perks I found out that melee is in some ways even more effective than my sniper build. The best bit is that you don't need to carry ammo which frees up more weight for desk fans and dirty ashtrays and you don't have to worry about running out of bullets.

Only drawbacks with melee involve running out of AP with a few enemies still alive (this is when I neck a load of drugs and switch back to my sniper) and enemies a floor above you cannot be targeted in VATS (again switch to sniper and blow their heads off).

Ultimately you need the time and desire to play on survival so I can understand why those with limited play time might not enjoy it. You have to accept that you might lose hours of progress because you panicked in a fight with some deathskull radscorpions that you thought you couldn't lose or you hadn't saved for a while and then the game freezes (no fault of your own). The latter situation has happened to me 4 or 5 times during 180 hours of playing on survival and I'll admit it can be extremely infuriating.

I have two characters on Very Hard (easy mode compared to survival) for mucking about and my two survival characters for a bit of a challenge. Probably a good idea to have a character to explore with and another for survival if you're still interested. That way you can choose whatever suits your mood at the time.

Like you've said a lot of the craftables aren't necessary if you're not playing survival. Glowing Fungus for example has almost no use but on survival it's one of the main ingredients of antibiotics which you need a lot of. I find it difficult to play on the lower difficulties after spending so long playing as Maurice and Russell, the game just isn't as fun when you can teleport everywhere and quicksave. I like the sense of impending doom and knowing that one foolish mistake could cost me hours of progress. Maybe I'm just weird?
  • SYS64738 18 May 2017 15:37:08 3,953 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, I understand your angle perfectly, if I was, say, in my teenage years with tons of free time I'd be all over this but yeah, like I said, real life gets in the way plus I have a number of other time-sinks in my backlog unfortunately. Something's gotta give in the end.

My initial thought was that I could hit two birds with one stone i.e. explore the rest of the wasteland I missed out on before, mess about with game mechanics that I didn't try first time around (different weapons etc.) and do all that while on Survival difficulty (3 birds even).

I think I will do some more exploring on an easier difficulty, I can't see myself not throwing my brand new XB1 controller against a wall due to a set back otherwise. Will just keep a Survival save handy in case that itch comes up again (and I know it will, since I find the game too easy except maybe apart from a few difficulty spikes (simply because of being ganged up on by bullet sponges).

Edited by SYS64738 at 15:38:17 18-05-2017
  • Billy-Daniels 18 May 2017 16:09:38 11 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I should probably add that I'm an open world game freak. Only game I like more than Fallout 4 is GTA V.

I have quite a few games in my backlog including unopened copies of Dishonoured 2 and Final Fantasy XV and I played about 3 hours of Yakuza 0 around three weeks ago. Been playing Fallout and GTA since (both games I platinum'd over a year ago) because of how much fun I have with those games. At least I'm sorted for the summer drought though!

Fallout 4 survival mode is basically designed for people who want Fallout to last forever, and it works. The majority of gamers will never touch it just like the hardcore mode in Red Dead Redemption that only came with the GOTY copy. Hardcore mode in Red Dead made an amazing game so much better but it came out a long time after everyone had finished playing it and you had to buy another copy to access it. Think they add these modes in for nutters like me who refuse to stop playing their game.
  • SYS64738 19 May 2017 09:33:47 3,953 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gave it another go on Survival last night, and funnily enough made a fair bit of progress (well, relatively, just completed the USAF raider station quest for the Abernathy farmers that I struggled with for hours before) - kept nipping in and out, saving at the mattress outside inbetween. Felt good but took probably 3-4 times longer than usual.

Then the creaky unstable game engine gave me heartburn, in the form of longer freezes (up to 20 seconds) until it eventually recovered. Managed to get a save in before it locked up completely (forcing a complete restart). This happened several times, and I think it may have to do with the settings I applied, but come on. And then, another instadeath due to a hidden bottlecap mine then made me reconsider to switch back to Hard difficulty and just go explore the map.

The ability to fast travel and quicksaves FTW to be honest. I could even understand getting rid of fast travel (although many missions sending you right across the map and back makes this a lot more painful than it should be) but the ability to save is a must, given it's a Bethesda game with all that comes with that.
  • TurkeyNeck 19 May 2017 10:06:05 77 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I should have loved this game.
    I played on hard mode and got about 1/4 of the way through. Enjoyed exploring and building my own little base. I never rush these type of games and I don't particularly play for the story, I play just to get lost in another world. But there was just something missing.

Then I heard about survival mode and mods and I thought that could make the game great. Finally a reason to build my base and get into crafting. So I stopped playing and decided I'd wait for the update.

I tried it, but I just can not be arsed with the lack of fast travel and quicksave.
    I just do not have the time or patience.
    Now I just don't see myself ever going back to it. It's a shame. I can live with no fast travel. Surely though they could have added the option to be able to quicksave.
  • SYS64738 19 May 2017 10:18:38 3,953 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Suppose there's a mod for quicksaves but yeah, cba enough to mess around with mods. Will probably just explore, try and upgrade weapons I haven't previously come across and maybe side with a different faction if I can be bothered to go through the main quest again (which I highly doubt right now, felt properly burned out on the game after completing the final mission, despite only clocking about 60 hours then).
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2017 10:30:17 15,410 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think my problem was that I came into it wanting interesting stories, complex interactions between factions and good quest writing, and hoping that the developers might have learned from New Vegas (or hell, the first two Fallouts) about how to create these things.

But instead there was a whole bunch of randomly-generated fetch/kill quests, average writing (apart from a couple of quests), and settlement building. Now maybe the settlements were a draw card for some players - and good for them! - but personally I did not care for it at all.

It's a Bethesda RPG, I guess, with all of the usual flaws and benefits. But it's not what I wanted from a Fallout game.
  • SYS64738 19 May 2017 10:44:29 3,953 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd have to agree with you Mola - especially after "completing" (well, main story and a few sides) New Vegas again a couple months ago. Fallout 3 I completed every single main and side quest including all the DLC, and still wanting more.

I wish NV and 4 could exchange production values only, i.e. the looks of 4 and the gameplay and writing of NV. I found it quite difficult to get through NV due to it looking like a dry slice of bread but the missions, encounters and how your actions have consequences saw me through.

I'm looking forward to explore the map more now (I reckon I've only seen about 30-40% of it so far, in terms of properly discovering and exploring each location), but something tells me that most locations merely serve as loot containers for base building, bar the occasional terminal to read through uninspired back stories.

I think it seems better though if you just see it as an FPS with RPG-lite elements rather than a full-fat RPG.
  • Billy-Daniels 19 May 2017 11:47:00 11 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    This is how I differ from most of you.

Absolutely love Fallout 3 and 4 but didn't enjoy New Vegas that much. I prefer the maps that Bethesda make. They feel more like a real place as opposed to the weird sprawl of stitched together locations in New Vegas that constantly remind me it's a game.

Think what I'm trying to say is that I need to feel immersed and I only experience that with Fallout 3 and 4.

The other problem is how you define an RPG. If you can build a character (selecting perks) that specialises in a certain skill (Rifles, Melee, Merchant, Explosives) it's an RPG to me but I understand others define the genre differently.

As far as I'm concerned Fallout 4 is an RPG. All 4 of my characters have played completely different roles in the commonwealth and the world states all differ accordingly.

If you're looking for a good story I'm not sure why you're playing Fallout? The story has always been the least impressive aspect of Bethesda games. They create amazing worlds with many overlapping mechanics that you can play with but storytelling is not their forte. Skyrim was brilliant but who really gave a crap about saving the world from dragons? I was having too much fun rolling decapitated Dunmer heads down hills.

Still, each to their own. Games are subjective which is why we have so much fun arguing about them.
  • SYS64738 19 May 2017 12:15:23 3,953 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe I didn't express myself well enough, what I meant with story/writing is the lore, which was, in my opinion, better both in terms of quality and quantity in FO3, NV and Skyrim. Many locations in FO4 just feel ... lifeless.

Also, not saying it's not an RPG at all but having sunk hundreds of hours into the other 3 games (each) FO4 just seems lacking.

Some stuff in FO4's story line, particularly the pretty harsh choices the game forced you to make towards the end, didn't sit well with me. E.g. it didn't really give me the option to talk my way out of it - all it wanted me to do (and this seemed to be the only solution most of the time) is to shoot stuff up, hence my FPS comment.

I dunno, very often it felt the game forced me to play in a certain way rather than providing varied options, and even if it did, the result was more or less the same, apart from maybe slightly different NPC dialogue. Never really got this feeling in FO3, NV and Skyrim, quite the opposite.

I'm still enjoying the game but to a lesser extent and for different reasons compared to the rest, and I don't think replayability (I love to re-roll characters) is remotely as good either when it comes to any of the missions.

Edited by SYS64738 at 12:16:02 19-05-2017
  • Page

of 281 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.