The Wheel of Time books Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Salaman 9 Jan 2013 12:36:00 19,272 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    Tad Williams 'Memory, Sorrow & Thorn' trilogy is amazing, which makes everything he's done since suck massive balls!
    Only Tad Williams I ever read was the "Otherland" series.
    Highly recommended by a friend. I just kept reading on thinking "you've lost me completely but it's supposed to be good so I'll carry on until the goodness hopefully kicks in. It never did. I was bored throughout most of it. So it's put me off him a bit. Might give this a try sometime.
  • spamdangled 9 Jan 2013 15:22:04 27,413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I never got on with Otherland but loved Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. A great self-contained trilogy (I think later printings split the last book into two, much like they've done with the Wheel of Time series).

I lean more towards self-contained novels now rather than trilogies. Series which go on for decades just bore me, if for no other reason than by the time the next book has come out I have forgotten what happened in the last one - particularly if they have a substantial cast. The other problem is that they meander a lot into unnecessary side plots for the sake of it rather than actually developing the core narrative, which is what massively turned me off of the Wheel of Time.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• stryker1121 9 Jan 2013 15:29:21 714 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd suggest Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" cycle as well, which comes to an end this autumn with the 10th book in the series. Has its flaws but in terms of world building and creating a compelling anti-hero type character, the Covenant books deliver.
  • THFourteen 9 Jan 2013 15:34:33 33,843 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i tried to read Donaldson and found it completely unintelligible tbh.

Currently reading Assassins apprentice and i do agree that it seems like its aimed at children so far. theres no real edge to it like more adult titles

otherlands is terrible but memory sorrow and thorn is totally different and very good.

Mistborn is 100% one of the best series i've read recently, and joe abercrombie stuff is good too.

oh and no one has mentioned it yet but Michael Sullivan's The Riyria Revelations is a great series.
  • PazJohnMitch 9 Jan 2013 21:53:34 8,326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @darkmorgado

I started reading Magician two days ago. Glad to see a recommendation for it!

I knew nothing about it but saw the first trilogy was cheap in the Amazon Lightning sale and took a punt.

Enjoyed the first 3 chapters and looking forward to reading more.
  • Sarahshade 9 Jan 2013 22:23:45 139 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @THFourteen I finished Assassins apprentice recently, it did seem to be aimed at children but it is a very good book.

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• Sarahshade 9 Jan 2013 22:31:09 139 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Seeing alot of Mistborn suggested!

Must look into it. Thanks alot everyone, no one I know reads fantasy so its hard to know where to go for a good fantasy book!

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• El_MUERkO 17 Jan 2013 05:16:10 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finished.

Looking at the release dates of the books, I started reading them in either January 1992 or 1993 {I know it was a January, not sure which year}, I am emotional right now.

As a young boy I read the first five books dozens of times, absorbed every detail and imagined what the ending might be. To be finally finished is honestly, upsetting, in good and bad ways. Like saying good bye to friends you'll not see again, but with all the happy memories of time together.

Sanderson pulled the series out of it's stall in some respects, but the Epilogue is Jordan's untouched writings, how he might have written what's in between, I don't know. What I do know is the epilogue is worthy of those first few books.

I'm going to bed. Despite the time I think I'll struggle to get to sleep.

R.I.P Robert Jordan.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 17 Jan 2013 05:21:57 11,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Salaman: I came it at it from the other direction. I read Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and found it to be possibly the best, most expressive and flowing English I've ever written. And I include Donaldson and Tolkien.

So, I was absolutely fucking shocked when I started reading Otherland, expecting awesome characters and excellent English, and I got neither. In spades... :/

I'd give Memory, Sorrow and Thorn a shot man...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• THFourteen 17 Jan 2013 07:59:16 33,843 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @El_MUERkO Its next on my list after i finish the Farseer trilogy

I had the same sort of emotional feelings when i finished the Sword of Truth series last year!
  • Mola_Ram 17 Jan 2013 17:11:33 7,682 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decided I'm going to start WoT again, now that it has an ending. It will probably be like reading it for the first time; i remember the names of some of the characters, but do not remember what happens at all .

Got Memory, Sorrow and Thorn on my shelf too, and don't remember anything about it.

Oh, and if we're doing fantasy recommendations, may i suggest Prince of Thorns. And then King of Thorns. Marvelous books. Cannot wait for the third one.
  • El_MUERkO 17 Jan 2013 17:12:28 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @El_MUERkO Its next on my list after i finish the Farseer trilogy

I had the same sort of emotional feelings when i finished the Sword of Truth series last year!
    You'll love it, the early books are the best, Jordan definitely lost his way in some of the middle books as he got bogged down in irrelevance, but he picked up pace near the end and Sanderson finished it as best as anyone could.

It's odd to me, I could write for a long time on the importance of those books to me as a young teenager, not having an ending for so long allowed me to imagine so much for the characters and for myself, allowed me to forget my troubles for a while.

I've been saying to myself for some time that I would re-read the books once I'd finished the last of them, but I'm not sure I will. They're part of my history, memories are framed around them, to read them all again would disrupt that.

And the characters whose endings I now know, could I experience them in the same way if I read the books again? I am left melancholy by the thought that their story truly ends now, Robert Jordan is dead and the only writing he was considering was a prequel trilogy, a two paragraph description Sanderson and Jordan's wife agreed not to expand upon.

It leaves me feeling a little lonely, I had a friend and now they're gone.

I think maybe I'll come back to the wheel of time when my son is old enough to be read to, I hope he'll enjoy them as much as I have.
  • MetalDog 17 Jan 2013 17:22:28 23,734 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think you'll probably be able to revisit.
    As a youngster I read The Belgariad and loved it. I re-read those book every few years as a sort of comfort blankie whenever things are going spectacularly badly in life, it's a great cozy bolthole for me and while I can see pretty much all its flaws now I'm older, I don't care. It's like visiting with my old friends.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• regularjoe 17 Jan 2013 20:04:08 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:

It leaves me feeling a little lonely, I had a friend and now they're gone.

I think maybe I'll come back to the wheel of time when my son is old enough to be read to, I hope he'll enjoy them as much as I have.
    Agreed. Just finished reading it myself. Sanderson has done an absolutely stellar job in these last few books, no doubt with considerable assistance from Jordan's notes. Memory of Light truly felt like one big war novel - brutal, thrilling, and tightly paced - worthy of everything in the series that preceded it.

I feel a terrible sense of loss, of absent friends. All the great memories will shine on, slightly dimmed by the knowledge of an empty horizon.

In terms of other recommendations, I would heartily second those who have mentioned the Mistborn series.

And I would add Guy Gavriel Kay - his Fionovar Tapestry (trilogy), Lions of Al Rassan (standalone) and Sarantine Mosaic (duology) are the stuff of superlatives. The rest of his work, in my opinion, tends to slightly better than pedestrian. His recent novels (Last light of the Sun, Ysabel and Under Heaven) are best avoided.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Jan 2013 17:20:01 7,682 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So I'm up to book 3 of the re-read.

...my god some of these characters are irritating. None of them seem to be able to keep their fucking mouths shut, blabbing about everything to bloody everyone they meet. Especially Egwene and Nynaeve. Perrin is my favorite almost purely because he doesn't talk much.

And I also don't really like how powerful everyone seems to be after 2 books in. Let's see... a year after leaving the village, Rand is a blademaster, Perrin kills Fades and can shoot ravens out of the sky with ease, and Egwene and Nynaeve are apparently as strong as any sister in the White Tower. It lessens a bit of the tension for me when hero characters are almost automatically awesome at everything they do, with barely any training.

But that being said, I loved the second book. Am loving the third a bit less, but I have more than enough motivation to continue. Guess we'll see if I still feel that way around book 7.
  • AwesomeWells 1 Feb 2013 09:27:53 410 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    ...my god some of these characters are irritating.
    You think it's bad now...wait till you meet the Falcon.

Plodding through book 8 now on my re-read, it's starting to get really painful - thinking about skipping the next two and starting again at Knife of Dreams. Although the ending to Winter's Heart was actually very good, I don't think I can stand Crossroads of Twilight again.

/arranges skirt

Edited by AwesomeWells at 09:31:29 01-02-2013
  • quadfather 1 Feb 2013 09:32:50 12,879 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had to stop after the first 3. It was a welcome break to be honest. There's good bits in there, but jesus christ, it drags ridiculously in places

Am now re-living the mistborn series and loving every god damn minute of it

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• mumtoucher 1 Feb 2013 10:08:45 285 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have read the series twice now, for anybody who does a lot of driving/walking there are unabridged audiobooks for the entire series narrated by Micheal Kramer (who is awesome) and Kate Reading (not so awesome). A second time through is really worth it, there are a lot of little touches that you only get or work out on the second time through.

I have read Mistborn too and although it had some great ideas the characters just never hit home with me. If anyone is after something to fill the void try Joe Abercrombies First Law trilogy - it's a totally different angle on Fantasy or The lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

Can't believe WoT is over, part of me wants more but if there ever was more it wouldn't be right.

Well done Sanderson though, good jerb!!!!
  • quadfather 1 Feb 2013 10:26:25 12,879 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mumtoucher - Yup, I'll second the first law trilogy - awesome stuff

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• AwesomeWells 1 Feb 2013 10:41:51 410 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather
    Yup, I'll second the first law trilogy - awesome stuff
    Thirded. Glokta is one of the finest characters in any Fantasy series.
  • LeoliansBro 1 Feb 2013 10:42:52 44,506 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AwesomeWells is my favourite username.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Mola_Ram 22 Feb 2014 02:44:11 7,682 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok, so I'm attempting to read the thing again, and again am about to give up (in the middle of book 7 now). It is just so, so, so tedious.

But I've heard that the series picks up a lot once Sanderson takes over. So, should I keep at it? Or maybe just skip a few books and read the summaries?

I do like many aspects of the books, but the pacing shits me up the wall.
  • AwesomeWells 22 Feb 2014 04:20:48 410 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

I'd recommend skipping straight to Towers of Midnight, just got up to speed online for the rest. As far as I can remember you are only going to be missing out on two significant plot points.

The Sanderson books really do up the pace, but there are sections were you can tell he hit a hard deadline as certain things feel really tacked on. He gets most of the characters right and, when he does veer off from Jordan's version I usually preferred it (his Matt and Talmanes were much better).

I finally finished up the series about six months ago - the ending was worth the wait. The last three books rip along and provide and, happily, end the series delivering on the promise of the first three books.

What I liked:

The Last Battle chapter: handled brilliantly.
    Egwene : after annoying the shit out of me for about 10 books I was genuinely sad when her story came to the end.
    Demandred: So, I was convinced he was Taim, what he'd really been up to was much better
    Rand's ending: pretty much perfect.
    The redemption of Logain - the Black Tower protects.
    Olver and the Horn of Valere: especially who he brings back.

What I didn't like:

The resolution of Padan Fain's story: The only explanation I can find for this is they simply ran out of words. Total anti climax.
    The mystery of the Aiel woman at the end. We can't "read and find out" any more Robert. Because you are dead. Felt like one last joke at our expense.
  • THFourteen 22 Feb 2014 08:31:18 33,843 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also spent all of last year fighting my way through this series. I first started reading it at school in 1997. Some of the books after 5 are utterly terrible, I can't remember which one exactly but maybe 10 or 11 was one of the worst books I have ever read, literally nothing happened for 1000 pages. I just skim read a lot of it, and it took me 12 months to get it done.

The Sanderson books are much much better, I'd just skip to those and read them to be honest. You won't miss anything. I was still sad to finish the series as you do grow close to the characters after so many books, but it wouldn't recommend anyone else waste their time tbh.

Dunno why it ended up that way, the first few books were really good.
  • Gland 22 Feb 2014 08:42:11 78,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nevermind, wrong book.

Edited by Dirtbox at 08:47:57 22-02-2014

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next