Is it one of these?

• Popzeus 3 Jan 2013 17:04:35 8,424 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Evel Knievel?

• EMarkM 3 Jan 2013 17:20:00 4,092 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @X201 No; they look far to solid. The material was virtually tissue paper thin. Thanks though!
  • EMarkM 3 Jan 2013 17:24:33 4,092 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Popzeus Definitely not; much taller (more like the large size Star Wars figures), glossy thin plastic, the cloak was matte on one side, and was attached around the edges of the figure.

The whole thing was two halves, front and back, clamped together with such a prominent seam that he would not stand in his own.

I have the impression he was supposed to remain in his cardboard-with-a-window box.

Thanks for your input though.
  • caligari 3 Jan 2013 17:27:28 17,404 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    I love this site.

I had all the really shit ones - Roboto, Buzz-Off, Tri-Clops, King Hiss, Leech... I don't know if I had really bad taste in toys or my parents were having a gigantic laugh at my expense.
    Hah hah - I feel your pain, brother.

I had (probably still 'have' - at least in my Mum's loft) Mantenna, Roboto, King Hiss, Leech, Blade, Hordak and Sy Klone.

My favourites were Whip Lash and Clawful (Christ, was that really his name?).

Hours of fun with this robust bad boy, too.
  • EMarkM 2 May 2016 06:59:18 4,092 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Would anyone mind if I had a go? This has been bugging me for over twenty years!

In, if I remember correctly, the early eighties, a distant aunt gave me a Christmas gift that I never really understood and have never been able to trace.

It was, to all intents and purposes, an action figure, but it was probably around 300mm tall and made of an extremely thin plastic; the sort if stuff that would permanently dent and discolour if you pressed it,

I believe, therefore, that it was intended more for display than for play.

It was a male character with long brown hair (all part of the moulding; not fibrous hair), he wore a cloak that seemed to be attached via perforations, and I indeed tried to detach it, which was not what was intended.

I've been using words like European space hero to locate him, but to no avail.

Any ideas, gamers?
    Well, here's a blast from the past: the good people of Reddit on/r/whatisthisthing managed to solve this one for me in a few hours yesterday.

CAPTAIN HARLOCK

I've not been able to find an image of the actual model I had yet, but that is definitely the character.

Mystery solved!
  • boo 2 May 2016 11:55:50 12,635 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There are some photos of a shoddy looking figure on this page, that go by the name of Captain Harlock.
    Might they be the one?

http://geoffstoys.blogspot.co.uk/2010_08_01_archive.html
  • twelveways 2 May 2016 12:03:39 6,254 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a really cool toy in the 80s, it was a spaceship but it came with loads of attachable parts like mecha legs and wings and boosters and stuff (possibly wheels) so you could customise it.

It came with a pilot who was around the same size as star wars figures and could fit in the cockpit, maybe a tad smaller and he had an orange jump suit and a really cool helmet which I lost in school.

He also had articulted joints.

The spaceship was grey but I think the cockpit canopy was blue.

Any ideas?

Edited by twelveways at 12:07:37 02-05-2016
  • Decks 2 May 2016 12:05:46 2,949 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Sounds like merman
  • EMarkM 2 May 2016 12:57:02 4,092 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @boo Good find, but none of them appear to be made out of the thin plastic that mine was - it was definitely more of a display piece than anything you were actually supposed to play with.

The plastic, formed in two halves, front and back, with that prominent seam, was the same thickness as you would find on one of those really (really) cheap jelly moulds or anything made via that vacuum plastic method. In fact, that's probably how it was made.
  • EMarkM 2 May 2016 12:57:30 4,092 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Sounds like merman
    :D
  • Sharz 3 May 2016 09:10:48 970 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @twelveways

Sounds like something from Space 1999.  Came out in the 70s but some toys were floating about in the 80s.
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 3 May 2016 09:16:13 86,541 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had a couple of figures that were roughly twice the height of a SW figure, and looked a bit like storm troopers. The joints were like ball bearings which clicked into the torso with magnets, meaning you could swap their limbs and heads and make new limbs out of their guns. I can't for the life of me remember what they were from or if they were from anything, but they were awesome.

Oh shit, found one. https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/247557310742194083/

And the other http://yesterville.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/mego-micronauts-baron-karza.html

And one of these blue transparent fuckers too. Cool as shit, I had no idea they were related. http://that-figures.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/vintage-view-micronauts-time-traveler.html

Edited by Dirtbox at 09:26:58 03-05-2016
  • Load_2.0 3 May 2016 09:54:41 22,933 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Holy shit, that is a blast from the past!

I had both the black and the white fucker. Good toys but I recall the velocity with which the missiles fired lacking any oomph.
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 3 May 2016 10:22:56 86,541 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just remember them making good peglegs.
  • mal 3 May 2016 10:31:11 25,763 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Has anyone said Big Trak yet? That's the only 80s toy anyone has any right to look back fondly upon, even though they are a bit pants if you actually get one and try to use it these days.
  • Ron_Justice 3 May 2016 10:31:31 2,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mental as I was watching this the other day and recognized the name, and you may be interested as fans of the toys, but Micronauts may be getting the big screen Avenger style treatment:

• Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 3 May 2016 10:38:26 86,541 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did Kevin Smith lose about 300lb?
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 3 May 2016 10:43:15 86,541 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's zany. When I got them they had no back story at all, it was something Marvel rustled up later on Hasbro's bank roll (I googled that).
  • Ron_Justice 3 May 2016 11:04:52 2,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He did yeah. Started smoking loads of weed and cut out sugar from his diet - Not a stalker but my brother is about to appear in the very meta film about the making of Clerks - Shooting Clerks so I got the goss.
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 3 May 2016 11:42:26 86,541 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well good for him, I like seeing folks who were teetering on dangerously overweight getting back into shape.
  • frightlever 3 May 2016 13:09:11 831 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    EMarkM wrote:
    Would anyone mind if I had a go? This has been bugging me for over twenty years!

In, if I remember correctly, the early eighties, a distant aunt gave me a Christmas gift that I never really understood and have never been able to trace.

It was, to all intents and purposes, an action figure, but it was probably around 300mm tall and made of an extremely thin plastic; the sort if stuff that would permanently dent and discolour if you pressed it,

I believe, therefore, that it was intended more for display than for play.

It was a male character with long brown hair (all part of the moulding; not fibrous hair), he wore a cloak that seemed to be attached via perforations, and I indeed tried to detach it, which was not what was intended.

I've been using words like European space hero to locate him, but to no avail.

Any ideas, gamers?
    Well, here's a blast from the past: the good people of Reddit on/r/whatisthisthing managed to solve this one for me in a few hours yesterday.

CAPTAIN HARLOCK

I've not been able to find an image of the actual model I had yet, but that is definitely the character.

Mystery solved!
    Funny, I just watched this at the weekend. Pretty good, if you like anime.

I had a BUNCH of Micronauts stuff as a kid, including Karza. there's a new Micronauts comic that just started. from IDW. Haven't read it.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.